PDA

View Full Version : iPod battery life: apple vs. linux?

tag
Apr 6, 2006, 04:52 PM
Basic question for any iPod linux users.. Does using different firmware affect battery use?

A bit of preface to the question...

Last night I was just listening to my 3G iPod when I get the old 'your battery is dead you need to hook it up and recharge message' and it shut down. I don't have my charger with me so I'm bored and just for the heck of it, I boot the iPod up in Linux, and to my surprise the battery meter is at ~250. (Out of what though I don't know, Honestly though I don't know normal battery levels off hand)

So for the next hour+ I listen to music on the iPod w/ backlight, play a game of chess, and mess around with iDoom. I finally get to turning it off after more than an hour of use and the battery meter still says I have plenty of juice and is still going strong. (I played music for another hour the next day before there was no juice to boot linux even).

So what's the deal here? Is my apple firmware perhaps messed up and not reading the battery right? Or is Linux just more power efficient? Or is linux just letting me use the battery to dangerously low levels, and if so, is there any downsides/dangers to that?