Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have a windows laptop, and my school has ~200 computers (probably more) all fully loaded with Adobe CS, Office Pro, etc...but they also use XP. In many ways this is excellent for the schools usage, and it also works amazingly well for me because it allows me to use Window's Briefcase utility to keep all of my files up to date on my laptop at home.

Recenty, I have really started using my mac for word processing, and I am in need or some sort of windows briefcase replacement. Is there such thing, or perhaps an apple script alternative? I would write one myself, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

Help?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
thejadedmonkey said:
I have a windows laptop, and my school has ~200 computers (probably more) all fully loaded with Adobe CS, Office Pro, etc...but they also use XP. In many ways this is excellent for the schools usage, and it also works amazingly well for me because it allows me to use Window's Briefcase utility to keep all of my files up to date on my laptop at home.

Recenty, I have really started using my mac for word processing, and I am in need or some sort of windows briefcase replacement. Is there such thing, or perhaps an apple script alternative? I would write one myself, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

Help?

Depends what you want to keep in sync with what: Mac(s) with Mac(s), or Mac(s) with Windows. I use a thumbdrive as my Mac to Windows briefcase, I load and use the files direct from the thumbdrive so it always has the latest files. For backup, every time I plug it into my Mac it copies the files to a backup folder (this is automated using a Quickeys action).

For Mac to Mac I actually keep the files on my iDisk and work from there. The files are automatically sync'ed with a .DMG file on each Mac connected to the iDisk (set to auto sync) so they're backed up automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.