Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Original poster
Who here can not be thrilled and very surprised with the recent round of updates from Apple.

The following will be a updated list that will be corrected and updated as necessary.

Updated TiBooks in Nov.
Updated iBooks in Nov.
New AluBooks in January.
Airport Exteme January.
Updated PowerMacs in January.
New Display and lower prices in January.
Updated iMacs in February.

Along with all the updates came lower prices. How long can Apple do this? Looks like the only thing left to update at this moment is the iPods, XServe, iBooks. The oldest hardware being the XServe. Though I don't see the server market as one that needs constant updates. If the rumors hold true we will see updated iBooks next week and maybe iPods too.

When the update rounds are through, what next? Will Apple start at the beginning again? Will they release a few software updates before going back to hardware? Will we have to wait until late summer? What do you think?

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
I think it's the iPods turn next week tuesday. Apple wil get rid of the 5 gigger and drop the prices of the hole line introducing the 40 gig iPod in the top at the price of the old 20 gig....

and btw: NO firewire800 in the new iPods :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
With the intro of FCP Express I'm really curious to see when FCP 4 comes out. Most likely be a bigger upgrade, with a price increase. But this probably won't happen till the summer.

Any other iApps out there that need work? When is Safari going to go V1.0?

D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Apple Update Pandemonium!!!

Originally posted by MacBandit
Who here can not be thrilled and very surprised with the recent round of updates from Apple.

Updated TiBooks in Nov.
New AluBooks in Dec.

Actually the AlBooks were introduced in January at MacWorld.

Also Airport Extreme (802.11g) was intorduced at MacWorld.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Re: Apple Update Pandemonium!!!

Originally posted by MacBandit
Updated TiBooks in Nov.
New AluBooks in Dec.

You might want to remember that the iBooks were also updated in November. So the only reason to update them next week (or anytime soon) would be to make them only boot OS X, in my opinion.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Forget my scepticism about new iBooks. I'm 99% certain now that they will be updated next week. Why ? Because I just got word from the store that the iBook I ordered has arrived and can be picked up :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Original poster
Originally posted by reflex
Forget my scepticism about new iBooks. I'm 99% certain now that they will be updated next week. Why ? Because I just got word from the store that the iBook I ordered has arrived and can be picked up :)

Yes, yes you have done it. Now they can finally move to that IBM 970 2GHz iBook for $500.:D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The iBooks won't get upgraded (upgraded to what, 900Mhz, which is faster than the new 12" PB? No way), but the iPods definitely will. It will offer GPS services, and if you're willing to pay the price for accessories, you can turn it into an Aibo-type robotic pet that can act as a backup HD. It can play music and be your friend. :)

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Re: Re: Apple Update Pandemonium!!!

Originally posted by reflex

You might want to remember that the iBooks were also updated in November. So the only reason to update them next week (or anytime soon) would be to make them only boot OS X, in my opinion.

True. But, the iBooks also need AirPort Extreme, so they will have to be updated sometime in the near future. They are the only line to not have it now, so if nothing else, we will see a new iBook w/AE, and maybe (?) throw in some other bumps as well.

Regards,
Gus

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Re: Re: Apple Update Pandemonium!!!

Originally posted by Gus

True. But, the iBooks also need AirPort Extreme, so they will have to be updated sometime in the near future. They are the only line to not have it now, so if nothing else, we will see a new iBook w/AE, and maybe (?) throw in some other bumps as well.

Regards,
Gus
I could see a bump of Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, and maybe a bit of speed.
However, I can also see the low end getting a cd-rw or a combo drive as a minimum.

Apple seems to be heading for the choice of Combodrive or SuperDrive. This lines up with having Macs as part of a digital lifestyle.

The change in drive could prevent the low end iBook from price dropping, but I could see the upper end drop a bit to make up for no or small speed increases.

Oh, and a disclaimer, this is pure speculation on my part. (Except for Apple dropping out some optical drive types from various product lines.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.