PDA

View Full Version : iBook 14'' and PB 12''

viperguy
Apr 7, 2006, 08:11 AM
Ok, I'm a lil confused here.
Let's discuss these both machines (no, I'm not buying any of them now)
But talking about portability, there's no big difference between the iBook and the PB. So, in my humble and mediocre opinion, buying an iBook 14'' is a better deal (is it???). A bigger screen, but still as portable as the 12'' PB, not counting that is cheaper and does everything a student needs.
Tell me your opinions, because I've seen a lot of people wanting to buy the PB 12'' and I was just wondering these things...

Matt Phoenix
Apr 7, 2006, 10:31 AM
I was looking the 12 inch iBook, 14 inch iBook, and 12 inch Powerbook a few months ago. I thought the 12 inch iBook didn't have a big enough hard drive and if I paid to upgrade that, I might as well have paid a little more and get the 14 inch iBook with the larger screen and Superdrive. I was looking at the Powerbook and couldn't justify paying so much more for a smaller screen, slightly faster processor, and an extra 20gb of storage. I opted for the 14 inch iBook and love it. In my broadcasting class, the desks are extremely small and it is hard to write anything with pen and paper. However, my iBook is the perfect fit for the desk. One guy in the class has a 12 inch Powerbook which fits right in the middle of the desk with room to spare, but I still prefer my iBook.

dornoforpyros
Apr 7, 2006, 11:00 AM
the "bigger" screen argument isn't really valid seeing as they both display the same resolution (1024 x 768).

viperguy
Apr 7, 2006, 11:03 AM
the "bigger" screen argument isn't really valid seeing as they both display the same resolution (1024 x 768).

But you can see more things in it. I hope you're not saying that a 15'' monitor = 17'' monitor. This 2 inch difference makes a HUGE difference.

Prelude2Tragedy
Apr 7, 2006, 11:10 AM
You see the same amount of things on both. The things on the ibook are just larger and a little bit easier on the eyes.

viperguy
Apr 7, 2006, 11:16 AM
You see the same amount of things on both. The things on the ibook are just larger and a little bit easier on the eyes.

That's what I meant :p

Demon Hunter
Apr 7, 2006, 11:33 AM
Ok, I'm a lil confused here.
Let's discuss these both machines (no, I'm not buying any of them now)
But talking about portability, there's no big difference between the iBook and the PB. So, in my humble and mediocre opinion, buying an iBook 14'' is a better deal (is it???). A bigger screen, but still as portable as the 12'' PB, not counting that is cheaper and does everything a student needs.
Tell me your opinions, because I've seen a lot of people wanting to buy the PB 12'' and I was just wondering these things...

Well, I think the 12-inch PowerBook is much smaller, and actually a bit lighter, but it all depends on cost and preference.

devilot
Apr 7, 2006, 11:54 AM
Well, I think the 12-inch PowerBook is much smaller, and actually a bit lighter, but it all depends on cost and preference.Significantly smaller and lighter. I owned both a 12" PB and a 12" iBook so I speak from experience.

Also, I thought that the PBs have double the graphics support? Yup just checked Apple's site; 64MB for the PB and only 32 for the iBook.

Demon Hunter
Apr 7, 2006, 01:50 PM
Significantly smaller and lighter. I owned both a 12" PB and a 12" iBook so I speak from experience.

Also, I thought that the PBs have double the graphics support? Yup just checked Apple's site; 64MB for the PB and only 32 for the iBook.

Yeah, and that's not bad compared to integrated models. :) Hopefully the Intels won't take a step backwards and use GMA950...

Eidorian
Apr 7, 2006, 01:51 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=192289

lonelemur90
Apr 7, 2006, 02:32 PM
i do like the asthetics of both, but like the ipod, the ibook scraatches when breathed on, so even if you try and keep it in mint condition, small scratches abound will still appear at a side angle. that and the powerbook is flat out gorgeous. Although the screens are the same resolution in the 14" ibook and 12" PB, the PB screen is much brighter and easier to work with wen there is some glare. The specs tend to be faster as well. The palm rest and trackpad of the ibook also is easily dirtied being white. and the PB has twice as much video memory.

Eidorian
Apr 7, 2006, 02:36 PM
i do like the asthetics of both, but like the ipod, the ibook scraatches when breathed on, so even if you try and keep it in mint condition, small scratches abound will still appear at a side angle. that and the powerbook is flat out gorgeous. Although the screens are the same resolution in the 14" ibook and 12" PB, the PB screen is much brighter and easier to work with wen there is some glare. The specs tend to be faster as well. The palm rest and trackpad of the ibook also is easily dirtied being white. and the PB has twice as much video memory.The PowerBook scratches as well. It's easier to see on the Powerbook too. Don't forget wonderful dents.

BlizzardBomb
Apr 7, 2006, 02:50 PM
Remember that the 14" iBook is graphically superior to the 12" PB.

According to a benchmarking report on MacReviewZone, in several graphics power task categories the iBook is substantially faster than the PowerBook despite the latter's 6% faster CPU/cache speed, 18% faster system bus, 100% more graphics memory, and 29% faster hard drive. The 12" PowerBook tested 21% slower in GPU performance, 52% slower in graphics interface response, 36% slower in graphics gaming, and offered 46% less running time per battery charge. Where it soared ahead was in hard drive performance - 67% faster, as well as being marginally faster in processor speed (5%) faster, Graphics Processor (5%), and Photoshop Render (6%).

http://www.powerbookcentral.com/columns/hildreth_moore/ibval.shtml

broncoball
Apr 8, 2006, 11:48 PM
the powerbook 12 is much lighter that the ibook 14 and its display looks a lot better. It also has a better keyboard than the ibook, which can make a difference if you're writing a lot.

devilot
Apr 9, 2006, 12:09 AM
the powerbook 12 is much lighter that the ibook 14 and its display looks a lot better. It also has a better keyboard than the ibook, which can make a difference if you're writing a lot.I agree that the PB's keyboard feels nicer; but for me, typing (at least using MS word) after an extended period of time would make my 12" PB run so hot I didn't want to use it, whereas my 12" iBook almost never gets that hot (plus, w/ an iSkin on, I don't mind the feel of the keyboard at all).

Demon Hunter
Apr 9, 2006, 12:42 AM
I agree that the PB's keyboard feels nicer; but for me, typing (at least using MS word) after an extended period of time would make my 12" PB run so hot I didn't want to use it, whereas my 12" iBook almost never gets that hot (plus, w/ an iSkin on, I don't mind the feel of the keyboard at all).

Did you have the Processor Performance on "Reduced"?

I love the AlBook/MBP keyboard. It's the best keyboard invented, if you ask me. ;) The keys feel so good... against my fingers... (allusion to Salad Fingers (http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm))