PDA

View Full Version : Bad idea to burn back to back CDR on G5 (100+)?

PCM
Apr 7, 2006, 10:45 AM
I 'm looking to dupe 100+ CD's for distribution (back to back burning). Is this sort of thing a bad kind of stress to put on my g5's internal drive?

Thanks

Artful Dodger
Apr 7, 2006, 11:00 AM
I 'm looking to dupe 100+ CD's for distribution (back to back burning). Is this sort of thing a bad kind of stress to put on my g5's internal drive?

Thanks

It should be fine but you can always do it in 4 sets of 25 then give it a rest. Now if you were doing this all the time I'd say get an external drive (or two) that way you can burn double the amount in half the time.
Anyway, like I said i'd burn 25 then let it sit for 15 mins. then start again with the next 25.
You could also get a temp. program and make sure that the temp. doesn't reach to high inside your G5 to due damage to the discs or the drive. Hope that helps :)

PCM
Apr 7, 2006, 11:17 AM
cool thanks

Keebler
Apr 7, 2006, 11:54 AM
Hi,

I burn DVDs/CDs alot. still not enough to justify a specified burner.
what i do is create the image and then drop to my other macs/PCs and then burn simultaneously - less stress on 1 system and you get done faster. of course, you need a network or you could burn 1 CD, drop to the pbook and make in img there.

i do agree with the other post, give it a break in between. may not be necessary, but it's hardware so rest is a good thing imho.

Cheers,
Keebler