Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Oliver Kahn has not been picked as No.1 keeper for the German national team. How funny is this story:

BBC Sport said:
Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has been chosen as the German number one for the World Cup finals, ahead of Bayern Munich stopper Oliver Kahn. Lehmann, 36, and Kahn, 36, have been alternating in the role since Jurgen Klinsmann took over as coach in 2004.

"This was the most difficult decision of my time as coach," said Klinsmann. "Of course Oliver is disappointed, but he took it as a real sportsman.

Kahn said: "I am surprised about this decision and absolutely disappointed."

He added: "I will consider my future with the national team over the next few weeks and announce my decision at an appropriate date.

BBC Sport Story

Sounds very sporting to me... ;)

I'm glad Jens has got it as he's been playing superbly for Arsenal, but I hope he doesn't save any English penalties over the course of the tournament....

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
nooooooooooooooooo... I love Oliver Kahn... He's the only reason I support the German team at all :mad: even though my friends said he looks like a caveman [which is kind of true] they can't do that *uncontrollable sobs*:eek:

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I have a feeling he isn't poor.

He is getting on now, even for a keeper.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
pknz said:
I have a feeling he isn't poor.

He is getting on now, even for a keeper.

They're both 36 though. I'd say Jens is in the form of his life at the moment. 8 clean sheets in the champions league is no small feat - though credit to the defense as well there.

diatribe said:
not well I imagine since I hardly know people that even remotely like Lehman

Kahn is no saint though and he's had plenty of world cup opportunities. It would have been a tough call, however.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Lehman is 36 as well? I know he has a bald spot coming on but I thought he was younger.

Hmm in that case I would rather see Kahn between the sticks.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
The goalkeeper decision was the most discussed thing about the national team in the last months here in Germany. In the beginning, Kahn had most of the fans on his side, but Lehmann got more fans in the last weeks because of his good games and the bad ones of Kahn.

It was wildly speculated that the keeper who wouldnt be nominated as the #1 would probably not go to the World Cup as the #2. Let's see how Kahn decides...

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Lehman suffered for a long time with having a rather poor Arsenal back line in front of him that everybody assumed must be good as it had Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole in it:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now they have both have been banished to the land of "wind and ghosts" Lehman and the organisation of his defence looks alot better.

Lehman is an extremley athletic keeper for a tall guy. However his ability with crosses looks suspect at times and his distribution is not great and counter attacking was always Arsenals big strength:)

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
DerChef said:
Lehman is an extremley athletic keeper for a tall guy. However his ability with crosses looks suspect at times and his distribution is not great and counter attacking was always Arsenals big strength:)
Yeah, distribution is his biggest weakness, I think. And as Jürgen Klinsmann wants an offensive play, this doesn't really fit, but I hope he knows what he's doing. ;)

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Veldek said:
Yeah, distribution is his biggest weakness, I think. And as Jürgen Klinsmann wants an offensive play, this doesn't really fit, but I hope he knows what he's doing. ;)

I very much doubt Germany have much of a chance anyway maybe one world cup too early for this young side:rolleyes:

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
DerChef said:
Tell that to Juve & Real Madrid :p
Klinsmann has to go on form, and at the moment that means Lehmann. Unless he drops a real clanger in the Champions League Final ;)
I don't think Kahn will retire until after the World Cup - there is still a chance for him, and why wouldn't he keep his options open for a World Cup on home soil? He might be arrogant but he's not stupid.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
I don't really support this decision. Kahn and Lehmann are both excellent, it doesn't matter who the goalie is in the end. Kahn, however, got Germany into the final of the 2002 World Cup all by himself. I think we should thank him by letting him be the goalkeeper. Additionally, he had been thinking about leaving Bayern München and joining a different team, such as Real Madrid. But he didn't - because he wanted to support Germany in 2006. Now it's like he has wasted his last 4 years.
And you also gotta admit that most of the polls that have been taken recently, suggesting that the Germans want Lehmann in the goal, are kinda biased since Kahn has had a lot of problems with his public image - goalies shouldn't be judged by character, though.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Diatribe said:
I'll be interested to see how the fans will take this decision... not well I imagine since I hardly know people that even remotely like Lehman.

Yey. We all love you Mad Jens. :D

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
lem0n said:
nooooooooooooooooo... I love Oliver Kahn... He's the only reason I support the German team at all :mad: even though my friends said he looks like a caveman [which is kind of true] they can't do that *uncontrollable sobs*:eek:

Erm. I would think being German would be the only reason to support the German team.

Otherwise, support your own! No cheating! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.