Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Getting close to hopping on the bandwagon and installing XP. Since it looks like people are having problems geting XP bootable off a ext hd, Im thinking ill just install a small partition for the os(XP) and then install games on a firewire drive. WILL GAMES BE TOO SLOW? compared to how it would be on the internal macbook pro's that is. thnx

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I think you need to install XP on your internal drive.

edit: sorry, read your post wrong, I would say it will be fine to run games off of an external FW drive.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
my roomate has OS 9 and all his games on an external firewire drive, and he is just fine...granted these are mostly games being played on a Cube...so I don't know about more current games.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I know someone that plays WoW on an external FW drive on his Mac. I'm assuming Windows would be able to do it also.

...but I'm sure it works best on an internal drive. Just don't set all of the settings for high.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
erkanasu said:
Getting close to hopping on the bandwagon and installing XP. Since it looks like people are having problems geting XP bootable off a ext hd, Im thinking ill just install a small partition for the os(XP) and then install games on a firewire drive. WILL GAMES BE TOO SLOW? compared to how it would be on the internal macbook pro's that is. thnx

So I have a small partition on my 17' iMac hard drive, enough for windows, and some SP's! and EVERYTHING else is on a simple IOMEGA FireWire 400 drive... and it runs just fine.

Games tested

1) The Movies
2) Civ IV
3) CS:S (and I play for one of the top 20 clans in the UK, so we're a bit fussy too! it's fine)

I was amazed how well it worked to be honest. Firewire, rocks. Much better than USB2.0

Bug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.