Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
When just using Safari or even doing nothing at all, I can hear air blowing out of my new PB. It's not really a fan sound, but it sounds like air blowing at a pretty high speed.

Is it normal that a PB is a little bit louder than an iBook?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
calebjohnston said:
Is it normal that a PB is a little bit louder than an iBook?
I haven't seen/used my PB in awhile... but I think it was louder than my iBook. :eek: I know that it would get hotter faster and the fans would come on more and louder... but as for just, simple day to day stuff, can't tell ya for sure.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Alright, thanks. I'll run the hardware test from the cd's that came with it and make sure nothing comes up.

EDIT: Actually.. I don't know how to do that. How? :)

vegemite27

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2006
Hi
I did the switch a month ago. Now I own a PB G4 12" 1.25M RAM 80G. And what can i say, is beautiful, the only thing is the heat and the fan. I gets too hot under heavy usage and the fan kicks up even with using safari and a couple of tabs open..... I checked the activity monitor and CPU usage was around 7 or 8%. also i got iStat pro to follow all the temperatures up...they are under the normal ranges....

I was really concerned about the fan running all the time, specially knowing from my exgirlfriend's ibook, what was really quiet.....

I have been digging out all the internet for info, even when to the mac shop to check out other PBs in action and my conclusion is that NOTHING CAN BE PERFECT ANT YEAH, THE PBs HAVE THIS ISSUE WITH FANS RUNNING ALL THE TIME AND HEAT....

SO SOLUTION, GET USE 2, and try to use ur battery most of the time, to avoid noisy fans running....

cheers

A computer casing made using metal will always produce louder sounds than a computer casing made of plastic. The PB's metal casing will also produce and retain a greater amount of heat. This will require more frequent use of the fan to use airflow to bring down the internal temperature. The engineers @ apple are definately capable of minimizing the noise factor but the limits of physics still apply.

hikingnclimbing

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Gorham, ME
On all the time though....

I'm in the same situation. My fans are on pretty much 98% of the time if you count start up and when it's asleep. TempStat 2 says my fans are running at 6498 rpm right now. It sometimes drops into the 4000s, but don't really turn off. Even when I'm not doing anything on it. When I'm at work I keep it propped up off my desk to try and circulate the heat, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is it normal for the fans to be on constantly? I just made the switch in January and that's my biggest complaint so far. I'd love some really quite once in a while.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
My 12" 1.5Ghz PB can make a really loud noise when it wants to. Heavy usage or just normal usage but being on constantly for a few hours (varies) can make the fans kick up and make an awful noise that contends with my old horrible slow loud Windows laptop...heaven forbid.

My iCurve has helped. Shutting down for a few minutes and booting back up again can also help. Gives it a chance to stand cool for a few minutes, also gives OS X to have a fresh boot up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.