PDA

View Full Version : Apple (and the RIAA) getting in the way of my wooage

snowfall
Apr 8, 2006, 09:43 AM
Just a rant,

I spent hours last night setting up a quicktime slideshow video in IPhoto, for a certain lovely lady's birthday, matching it with a song I bought off of Itunes. The longest part was setting the correct slide transition time and matching the order of the photos with the words in the music.

Finished it finally and send it off to her to surprise her when she woke up this morning and... she can watch it but she can't hear the music. "Your computer is not authorized to play the audio portion of this..."

Nowhere in this process of making this video did any Apple product mention to me that I was the only one who could watch this slideshow (or at least only on an authorized computer). If they couldn't inform me, then Apple could at least have offered to play the music in a lower quality format! Given that we're half the world away from each other right now, authorizing her computer to play the song wasn't really an option. I just think that since I paid money for this song I should be able to use it in a video for my girlfriend... that was the WHOLE reason I bought the song.

I eventually had to go through a very roundabout method to get the audio and the video together in such a way that she can play it and hear it, but my carefully crafted romantic moment was ruined by the RIAA.

I'm gonna sue.

p.s. Also a lesson in always doing a practice run of carefully crafted romantic moments... too bad I didn't have access to another computer to try.

Redline13
Apr 8, 2006, 09:55 AM
Welcome to the future. This is one of the reasons I don't use the iTMS.

jonat8
Apr 8, 2006, 10:05 AM
It's a disgrace. You should really be able to use your iTMS music in your personal iMovie projects, whatever your output format. I have had the same problem when exporting iMovie projects using iTMS Music to a file.

That said, a friend used some iTMS music as part of a DVD for a holiday video and it burned using iDVD and played on the TV OK along with the music. How's that for consistency... :rolleyes:

Applespider
Apr 8, 2006, 10:10 AM
I actually thought these issues had gone away.

I used several iTMS songs over a couple of iMovies and distributed them on my phone (which won't play normal iTMS songs) and as QT streams online, as well as on DVD and haven't found a problem. I'm not sure whether perhaps it's do with how many tracks you have playing? If it's a single song, they may assume that you're just trying to circumvent the DRM?

snowfall
Apr 8, 2006, 12:10 PM
Well, the software setup I used was IPhoto 04 (4.0.3) with Itunes 6.0.4 on 10.4.6

I've got my ILife 05 DVD around here somewhere, just never bothered to install it when I got this machine a year ago, thought I'm not sure that would have made a difference.

In fact a few discussions on the web say it would not make a difference:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=36114
http://jeffcarlson.typepad.com/imovievqs/2005/03/imovie_and_itun.html

I've been looking around the Apple site and I haven't found anywhere yet where it says you can't use your purchased Itunes in slideshows that you share.

CanadaRAM
Apr 8, 2006, 12:15 PM
Consider the alternative...

iTMS doesn't check for authorization within a movie.

Therefore Person A buys one song, creates a blank movie of 3.5 minutes duration, and attaches the song to it, He then gives or sells the 'movie' to 300 of his closest friends. The copyright owners of the song decide that's too much piracy to live with, and pull their songs from the iTMS.

calculus
Apr 8, 2006, 01:10 PM
All you have to do is burn the song to CD then you can do what you like with it.

thedude110
Apr 8, 2006, 02:19 PM

Therefore Person A buys one song, creates a blank movie of 3.5 minutes duration, and attaches the song to it, He then gives or sells the 'movie' to 300 of his closest friends. The copyright owners of the song decide that's too much piracy to live with, and pull their songs from the iTMS.

Another rift in the forthcoming battle between capitalism and democracy. Capitalism demands its "consumers" be locked down and out. Democracy demands its "citizens" be trusted.

At what point do we put trust in our consumers or lock down our citizens? Or is that enough to make the western world's head explode?

To the OP: Sometimes, messed up woooing works to your wooing advantage. You become endearing or "cute." So, the RIAA has your best wooing interests at heart.

Really.

CanadaRAM
Apr 8, 2006, 02:25 PM
Another rift in the forthcoming battle between capitalism and democracy. Capitalism demands its "consumers" be locked down and out. Democracy demands its "citizens" be trusted.

At what point do we put trust in our consumers or lock down our citizens? Or is that enough to make the western world's head explode?

We have trusted our consumers, and they have voted with their bits in overwhelming numbers that they will lie, cheat and steal to get something for nothing, when given a relatively anonymous and risk-free means to do so.

snowfall
Apr 8, 2006, 02:46 PM

There are probably easier ways of doing the above that still lets your music be played easily in music players, whereas a .mov file is going to want to be played in quicktime.

Regardless, Apple should at least have told me that I couldn't use my purchased music in the slideshow I bought it for. Nowhere in their software nor on their Iphoto site did it mention that, at least nowhere obvious. I can burn the same playlist 7 times, but I can't make one slideshow?

I also would have been perfectly fine with an inferior quality level in the slideshow. I just don't see the point of making a slideshow that you can't share with other people... well you can share it, just sans ITMS music. Apple doesn't seem to go out of its way to inform consumers what restriction its Fairplay (or whatever the name of their DRM) places on its customers, at least not in this case.

weg
Apr 8, 2006, 03:53 PM
consumers lie, cheat and steal

I totally agree! I even know people who listen to the music they bought more than once without buying it once more! Cheaters! Thieves! Serves them right that music industry modifies the CDs such that they can't be played anymore on more than one device!