PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Price To Release The "iTod"

greatdevourer
Apr 8, 2006, 11:04 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2124030.html

:eek:

Applespider
Apr 8, 2006, 11:06 AM
It's not all that different from the FP cassette players and the trains that play music etc. We're talking nursery rhymes rather than hiphop after all

I think it's the Times calling it the iTod for their headline.. not FP

Chaszmyr
Apr 8, 2006, 11:07 AM
That cannot be legal.

Cabbit
Apr 8, 2006, 01:17 PM
funnies, i want one.

2nyRiggz
Apr 8, 2006, 01:23 PM
Now that is cool for the kids....i think its a great idea for the babies.

Bless

SC68Cal
Apr 8, 2006, 01:36 PM
Oh god, it's a conspiracy by apple to get us addicted at birth!

maya
Apr 8, 2006, 01:38 PM
Aiming at ever so younger age groups seem like a desperate act on the companies part.

We now have MP3 players for every age group, where to next. Pathetic. :rolleyes:

maya
Apr 8, 2006, 01:41 PM
Now that is cool for the kids....i think its a great idea for the babies.

Bless

We need to get those drones at a zygote phase. Parents and people are messing they own offspring to some effect we do not even know exists yet. :rolleyes:

Who knows we will all require hearing aids, glasses/contacts, etc...someday to make the medical and technology companies wealthy. Drones, and pitiful to those parents. :rolleyes:

MacBoobsPro
Apr 8, 2006, 02:52 PM
Aiming at ever so younger age groups seem like a desperate act on the companies part.

We now have MP3 players for every age group, where to next. Pathetic. :rolleyes:

OAPpod? Plays extremely loud and has 12" screen so they can read the text!

iMeowbot
Apr 8, 2006, 03:00 PM
I think it's the Times calling it the iTod for their headline.. not FP
Right. The real name is the much more F-P style "Kid-Tough Digital Song & Story Player" (and Kid-Tough FP3Player in some markets).

rockthecasbah
Apr 8, 2006, 03:19 PM
that's horrible. There's just something to say about kids with all these new-fangled toys and gizmos at such a young age. In my opinion, it's unhealthy to some extent, and we are just demanding more entertainment brought to us at even a younger age. What happened to imagination?? What happened to a kid sitting down, setting up toy trains, pretending they were Thomas the tank engine's conductor, or building a castle, or going on an undersea adventure with a submarine YOU built?

Now we're replacing some of the best motor skill, spacial development, and open ended building toys with uncreative FauxPods. Maybe i come off as old fashioned (i shouldn't, im only 16 :D ) but when i have children, they will be exposed to things they can build themselves, fashion themselves, DREAM themselves. Doing these things myself were the fondest memories i have and i could never deprive my children of these similar experiences.

You can't replace the feeling of building your own plane and "flying" it through a world YOU created, or "racing" a car through a city you designed. Imagination is one of the best qualities a person can have and develop, and these iTod, FauxPod electronics are only another reason for our children to become electronically dependent, lacking creativity.

Mammoth
Apr 8, 2006, 03:30 PM
Jeez.. I was 6 almost right before this 'digital revolution'. I would play with Thomas the Tank Engine, I had some Duplo and Lego, and I even screwed around on my moms typewriter.. and only a few years later they are releasing MP3 players for kindergarteners.. I don't think it's a good idea.

rockthecasbah
Apr 8, 2006, 03:33 PM
Jeez.. I was 6 almost right before this 'digital revolution'. I would play with Thomas the Tank Engine, I had some Duplo and Lego, and I even screwed around on my moms typewriter.. and only a few years later they are releasing MP3 players for kindergarteners.. I don't think it's a good idea.
i'm the same as you Mammoth in many regards. Even though im not sure what you mean by the digital revolution's beginning, im glad my parent's didn't have many gadgets or anything so young. Freedom of the mind is important to develop at a young age and mp3 players so young just prevents that from happening further. TV already hinders it enough, so let's plug in our children every minute they aren't at home. Even in cars there are TVs now. Sheesh.

2nyRiggz
Apr 8, 2006, 05:03 PM
We need to get those drones at a zygote phase. Parents and people are messing they own offspring to some effect we do not even know exists yet. :rolleyes:

Who knows we will all require hearing aids, glasses/contacts, etc...someday to make the medical and technology companies wealthy. Drones, and pitiful to those parents. :rolleyes:

right right right...just like if mommy was putting the earbuds next to her belly and blasting it on high....i would hope they make these toys not so loud for the kids and not so real for the kids to mess up something.

Its just another kid toy for the new ages...no one is forcing the parents to buy anything

Bless

zap2
Apr 8, 2006, 05:13 PM
that's horrible. There's just something to say about kids with all these new-fangled toys and gizmos at such a young age. In my opinion, it's unhealthy to some extent, and we are just demanding more entertainment brought to us at even a younger age. What happened to imagination?? What happened to a kid sitting down, setting up toy trains, pretending they were Thomas the tank engine's conductor, or building a castle, or going on an undersea adventure with a submarine YOU built?

Now we're replacing some of the best motor skill, spacial development, and open ended building toys with uncreative FauxPods. Maybe i come off as old fashioned (i shouldn't, im only 16 :D ) but when i have children, they will be exposed to things they can build themselves, fashion themselves, DREAM themselves. Doing these things myself were the fondest memories i have and i could never deprive my children of these similar experiences.

You can't replace the feeling of building your own plane and "flying" it through a world YOU created, or "racing" a car through a city you designed. Imagination is one of the best qualities a person can have and develop, and these iTod, FauxPod electronics are only another reason for our children to become electronically dependent, lacking creativity.

when i have kids they won't get a crappy Fisher Price iPod, they will get a real Apple iPod(assuming the still have iPod) And Macs, and they will not be allowed to use MSN or Windows!(AHH! i'm becoming an Apple Steve Balmer:D )

But really i will want my kids to use technolgy because i think its important. There first computer will likly be a Mac(an old of mine) and i will have my Mac and if they want a PC they cna save up for it(just as i do for my Macs)
But thats not to say i won't help, but they need to learn the value of a dollar, and that money is only money, and its important but not life or death important

Mammoth
Apr 9, 2006, 03:10 AM
..Perhaps it wasn't the digital revolution, but I think it was, because I remember computers were really gaining popularity, and I persuaded my mom to get us some internet when I was 6 or so. :cool: (This was '93 I was born)

Mord
Apr 9, 2006, 04:59 AM
i built a full size fully working crossbow out of lego when i was 8....

(note "lego" not lego's or legi, the plural of lego is lego, gahhhhh)

rockthecasbah
Apr 9, 2006, 07:03 AM
when i have kids they won't get a crappy Fisher Price iPod, they will get a real Apple iPod(assuming the still have iPod) And Macs, and they will not be allowed to use MSN or Windows!(AHH! i'm becoming an Apple Steve Balmer:D )

But really i will want my kids to use technolgy because i think its important. There first computer will likly be a Mac(an old of mine) and i will have my Mac and if they want a PC they cna save up for it(just as i do for my Macs)
But thats not to say i won't help, but they need to learn the value of a dollar, and that money is only money, and its important but not life or death important
it's not that i don't think tech is important, but i think a reliance on technology is bad for you. Too much tech at a young age seems to make us more reliant on things to entertain us than before thanks to tech toys being integrated a younger age. My children will of course have Macs and i'll start them off pretty young, but computers are different than mp3 players. I was concerned more about tech toys than computers.

uaaerospace
Apr 9, 2006, 12:00 PM
Ya know, it's funny to see all of these new toys being developed. My nieces and nephews always play with the simple things. It's amazing....last Christmas they opened their toys, then they proceeded to toss the toys aside and play with the box in which it was packaged. I did the same thing when I was a kid. Let the kids decide for themselves. They'll use their imagination.

Mord
Apr 9, 2006, 12:38 PM
fisher price did some research a long time ago to find the "ultimate toy" they eventually narrowed it down to a stick with string attatched to the end, however they "sexed it up" made it out of ghastly colored plastic with lots of buttons that made hideous noises that no doubt your child will emulate and annoy they heck out of you.

njmac
Apr 9, 2006, 01:07 PM

Very true rockthecasbah! I do have kids and I am raising them to love the outdoors (which btw is incredibly easy -what kid doesn't want to play outside?) They play with sticks and rocks and dirt and jump in puddles and get really tired by the end of the day :p

Of course, they do get the cheap plasticky, noisy toys for birthdays and such from their friends and they do like them but they get bored very easily with them. Maybe that's why kids have their rooms full of toys - because they get so bored so quickly with these gadgety toys they need more and more to keep them happy.

My son's preschool has no electonics, no tv, no noisy plastic toys. That's why he goes there. They also have sheep, ponies and goats in the barn - the joys of living in the country ( yet still so close to NYC!)