PDA

View Full Version : iBook RAM question

MikeAppz
Apr 8, 2006, 11:34 AM
I am thinking about getting an iBook. I would say I'm more a casual user than an intense one, but I wanted to know if there is a big difference between 1 GB Ram on the iBook and 1.5 GB Ram. I would think that for the iBook 1 GB Ram should be plenty. Are there really enough advantages to getting 1.5 GB Ram to justify the price? Thanks. Also, if you are buying RAM on your own, do you recommend buying the DIMMs from Apple or going to a third party and getting RAM from them. Thanks

CanadaRAM
Apr 8, 2006, 11:45 AM
Always get your memory from a reputable third party dealer who tests and guarantees Mac compatibility, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

That said, it is almost always worth it to take a memory socket up to its maximum capacity, so you are not faced with removing the smaller RAM later to upgrade. Although you could get by with 1 Gb total, 1.5 Gb is better for anyone who wants to run more than one or two programs at once.

Keep in mind that a 1 Gb SODIMM from a third party is going to cost only about 20% more than a 512 Mb SODIMM from Apple.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

mjstew33
Apr 9, 2006, 04:41 PM
I have a 1.42GHz iBook G4 w/ 1.5GB RAM and I love it, I highly recomend the upgrade. :)

stridey
Apr 9, 2006, 04:55 PM
I definitely suggest putting in as much RAM as you think you can afford. It's indispensable, especially for running lots of apps at once.