Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrStrangelove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Been gone for about a week and lost some time here. Wondering what the group thinks of Boot Camp vs Parallels.

What are the advantages to each? If it's simply about running windows apps I would think that Parallels may be the way to go. Any thoughts as to why dual booting Windows may be a better option?

I'm not a real fan of windows (which is why I switched to Mac in the first place)-- if I can get the same functionality with Windows based programs I may give Parallels a shot.

Thoughts?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
From what i have read Parallels solution works just fine as long as you dont want to run games or any 3D intensive stuff. I think i remeber reading somwhere that parallels does not work very well for the mac mini cause the virtulization is disabled. also parallels does not support the direct x stuff which is why games dont work well. Besides that stuff from what i have heard it is good.

I personaly think both are of use. If all you have to do is run a few business apps then i think parallels solution is better. If you want to runs games then daul booting is the option right now. And if you are on a mini then dual boot is the only option.

Blong

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
From what I understand, a simplified explanation would be that Boot Camp allows windows to run at native speed, whereas parallels runs at "near native" speed.

Haven't seen anywhere yet whether parallels is better than Virtual PC, but i'm guessing it'll probably be faster.

Cool.

Rob

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Blong said:
Haven't seen anywhere yet whether parallels is better than Virtual PC, but i'm guessing it'll probably be faster.
For the time being, Parallels is infinitely better than VMware or VPC, because the latter two are still vaporware.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
iMeowbot said:
For the time being, Parallels is infinitely better than VMware or VPC, because the latter two are still vaporware.

damn, you beat me to the obvious, sarcastic remark. :p

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Bleh, I really do find the Microsoft response to all this v12n stuff fascinating. In their latest statement on the topic, we get:

"We still don’t have all the answers, but we are trying to understand what changes need to happen in their operating system and what changes we need to make."

Apparently, given that the Parallels software works for all to see, and VMware (reportedly) works too, there aren't any changes needed on the OS X side. They obviously already know how to do the VM thing since they're selling a version for Windows, so it would seem that they're talking around what they actually plan to do.

I'd guess that the real question is a decision between a standalone VPC product or a collaboration with Apple for an integrated solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.