PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Boot with Bootcamp?

pinto32
Apr 8, 2006, 04:54 PM
Has anyone attempted to do a tri-boot with Boot Camp? Is it even possible? By this I am thinking of a (future) Macbook with OS X, Windows XP, and some flavor of Linux.

My brother is one of those switchers that has been held back until now (comp-sci major) by his need for Windows. Being in comp-sci, there is a good possibility that he will need Linux in the future as well.

kainjow
Apr 9, 2006, 01:44 AM
It's the same as before. In order to boot up multiple operating systems on your computer, you'd have to get a third partition. And Boot Camp's assistant only supports 2. So you'd have to reformat and use Disk Utility to create an HFS+ partition and 2 FAT partitions (or empty and format with your other OS).

Holding down Option at startup lets you choose which OS to boot.

wmmk
Apr 9, 2006, 02:07 AM
how bout this:
mac os x
windows xp
boot camp xp divers
ppc linux
yaboot

pinto32
Apr 9, 2006, 02:37 PM
how bout this:
mac os x
windows xp
boot camp xp divers
ppc linux
yaboot

That would be a good idea, but I doubt that the PPC Linux distros work on the new Mactels...or am I wrong?

greatdevourer
Apr 9, 2006, 02:48 PM
how bout this:
mac os x
windows xp
boot camp xp divers
ppc linux
yaboot Why PPC Linux :confused: Unless you refer to PenguinPC, but they're a hardware manufacturer :confused:

http://theweeklyrant.com/images/7.jpg

That picture shows that, although the Bootcamp software doesn't support more than 2 boot partitions, there's nothing to stop you attacking it with Partition Magic or likewise and installing it the traditional way (booting off the CD at the boot-menu then telling it to install to the new 3rd partition)

grapes911
Apr 9, 2006, 02:52 PM
That would be a good idea, but I doubt that the PPC Linux distros work on the new Mactels...or am I wrong?

PPC if for PowerPC processor, which Intel Macs don't use. But x86 distros do work on Intel Macs.