PDA

View Full Version : Is my iBook Fan Dead?

ImNoSuperMan
Apr 8, 2006, 05:32 PM
Is there a way to check if the cooling fan of my iBook G4 12" is working or not? It was working fine a month ago. But now I cant hear it at all no matter what. I can feel that the machine is really hot especially at the bottom exactly under trackpad and it`s left side.
I dont remember the fan running in the last 4 weeks. I m afraid that it is dead and it can lead to excessive heating and damage something

I tried to check through a Dashboard widget iStat pro. It gives me following info:-
CPU temp------------51 degrees
Battery---------------33 degrees
Memory/power------51 degrees
Rear Enclosure Fan RPM -0

I would like to know if this is is normal or should I get it checked first. Any help/suggestions will be really appreciated.

MrFrankly
Apr 8, 2006, 05:48 PM
Is there a way to check if the cooling fan of my iBook G4 12" is working or not?
CPU temp------------51 degrees
Battery---------------33 degrees
Memory/power------51 degrees
Rear Enclosure Fan RPM -0

The fan on my iBook only kicks in at 60+ degrees C. And it does get pretty warm indeed. Don't think you have to worry...:)

yippy
Apr 8, 2006, 05:49 PM
That is normal. Off the top of my head I think 60-65 is the max operating range, to me it sounds like you just haven't pushed your iBook to the point that it needs fans.

The only way I can think to test it is to find some activity that uses 100% CPU and a lot of disk access and then let it do that until the temperature gets up to the max allowable. If the fans don't kick on then stop and assume they are dead. But until then I wouldn't worry about it unless you are having stability issues.

ImNoSuperMan
Apr 8, 2006, 06:02 PM
Thanx for the quick reply.
Actually it used to run atleast couple of times a day earlier. So I was worried if something was wrong. But now I know that these temps are normal. May be I`ll try to push my iBook to see if the fan turns on or not.

FF_productions
Apr 8, 2006, 06:14 PM
Phew, I thought your computer was running at 30-50 degrees FAHRENHEIT. Don't think you need fans when it gets that cold...:p :p

Laser47
Apr 8, 2006, 06:56 PM
My ibooks fans turn on at ~65C. Even while playing a game it only turns on for a minute then turns off for about 4.

Heres iStat, with itunes Visualizer running in the background.