PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody gotten Linux working thru bootcamp?

technicolor
Apr 8, 2006, 09:13 PM
If so what version of Linux are you using, and how did you go about doing it(did u have to have a disk)?

Backtothemac
Apr 8, 2006, 09:20 PM
I have fedora core running under it, but cannot get the wi-fi to bridge.

wmmk
Apr 9, 2006, 02:12 AM
you'd need drivers. to get em for x86 linux, install ppc linux (on a ppc mac if you have one), find and copy drivers to hd, burn them on to cd, slipstream those with x86 linux, and voi liox (sorry about my terrible french spelling:))

greatdevourer
Apr 9, 2006, 04:35 AM
http://theweeklyrant.com/article/8/news-apple-bootcamp-boots-linux

That dude got Ubuntu working

UberMac
Apr 9, 2006, 06:03 AM
I've been sing a SLAX live CD - it automagically worked with my BT Keyboard and Mouse, AND the Airport in my iMac! Woo! I didn't really try anything else; I only did that because I couldn't find my XP CD...so I had Linux running within about 10 minutes of BootCamp being released! I wish I had taken a photo at the time...I'd be famous :p

Uber

technicolor
Apr 9, 2006, 02:18 PM
I tried using ubuntu using the bootcamp assistant, but of course bootcamp didnt recognize the disc as an installer disc.

I am trying to get this to work on my mbp, any help, or do not even need ot use bootcamp to do this?

greatdevourer
Apr 9, 2006, 02:24 PM
I tried using ubuntu using the bootcamp assistant, but of course bootcamp didnt recognize the disc as an installer disc.

I am trying to get this to work on my mbp, any help, or do not even need ot use bootcamp to do this? Iirc, you just boot into the disk, rather than using Bootcamp

technicolor
Apr 9, 2006, 02:53 PM
I've been sing a SLAX live CD - it automagically worked with my BT Keyboard and Mouse, AND the Airport in my iMac! Woo! I didn't really try anything else; I only did that because I couldn't find my XP CD...so I had Linux running within about 10 minutes of BootCamp being released! I wish I had taken a photo at the time...I'd be famous :p

Uber Yeah but you dont install slax it boots from the cd, i want a linux i can install.

Epicurus
Apr 11, 2006, 11:03 AM
I can see the logic behind only coming out with Windows drivers for the first public Beta, but if Apple wants to pass this whole thing off as a way to recruit Windows users by offering them "a way out", then they should do the same for Linux.

I'd like to see Leopard with its full version of Boot Camp be able to generate driver disks for both Windows and the major Linux flavors (Fedora, SUSE, Ubuntu, Scientific Linux etc.). if Apple can come out with a quick an easy package for getting Linux onto their laptops alone, they'd make a very quick inroad into the miniscule Linux market.

jeremy.king
Apr 11, 2006, 11:09 AM
I can see the logic behind only coming out with Windows drivers for the first public Beta, but if Apple wants to pass this whole thing off as a way to recruit Windows users by offering them "a way out", then they should do the same for Linux.

I disagree.

Linux users haven't been asking for a way out. Also, they tend to be much more tech savvy than their windows using counterparts. Can't you already easily dual boot OS X and linux (yaboot) without the use of Bootcamp? I just don't see the need nor the business case for Apple to develop drivers for an even smaller market segment than their own.

jhu
Apr 11, 2006, 11:31 AM
I disagree.

Linux users haven't been asking for a way out. Also, they tend to be much more tech savvy than their windows using counterparts. Can't you already easily dual boot OS X and linux (yaboot) without the use of Bootcamp? I just don't see the need nor the business case for Apple to develop drivers for an even smaller market segment than their own.

yaboot only works on ppc macs. also, people have already put linux on their x86 macs

iMeowbot
Apr 11, 2006, 11:43 AM
It's probably for the best that Apple aren't jumping in with Linux drivers. First, none of that stuff is really Apple hardware, so they probably don't have permission to release driver source code for many of the components. Second, if they released binary-only versions of drivers to keep their hardware suppliers happy, they would invoke the wrath of open source zealots. It's better that they stay out of it and let people reverse engineer the stuff.

GFLPraxis
Apr 11, 2006, 11:53 AM
Linux users don't really need a 'way out'...
All their UNIX and X11 apps run in OS X, and the real tech savvy ones can just install KDE on OS X :D

greatdevourer
Apr 11, 2006, 12:04 PM
All their UNIX and X11 apps run in OS X, and the real tech savvy ones can just install KDE on OS X :D Yeah, but trying to find stuff that works in KDE for OSX is a pain, and compiling apps to work in it is just as hard. Then there's the fact that the bug reporter is the most ironic app I've ever seen - it crashes within seconds of opening, and then the window doesn't go away :mad:

jhu
Apr 11, 2006, 01:44 PM
All their UNIX and X11 apps run in OS X, and the real tech savvy ones can just install KDE on OS X :D

oh sure they do, especially if they're running i/o intensive applications. linux is faster than os x.

Togglehead
Apr 11, 2006, 02:17 PM
gentoo anyone?

iMeowbot
Apr 11, 2006, 02:20 PM
gentoo anyone?
You mean the hairshirt of operating systems? Thanks, but no thanks.

greatdevourer
Apr 11, 2006, 02:27 PM
gentoo anyone? If you're gonna go that far, why not just go LFS ;)

Uma888
Apr 11, 2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah but you dont install slax it boots from the cd, i want a linux i can install.

Slax can be installed, but you loose modularity (its selling point)

Slax will allways be my fav Live CD.

I have a custom 3.3gb SLAX Iso with all the tools/games i need (yes it takes a while to boot)