PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook or iMac intel?

silversyren
Apr 9, 2006, 03:31 AM
(I totally just typed out a really, really long post but of course I was an idiot and didn't sign in first.. nice. So here it is, typed again and thankfully a little shorter but probably not quite as witty as I imagined it was the first time.)

Hi guys,

I hope I don't make any typical n00b mistakes that will cause any of you to rush toward me with cries of "off with her head" but I got a little bit over-enthusastic at finding a place where I can get expert advice and so, didn't take my usual time of poking around before I post. Wow, that was a really long sentence. Not quite a promising start.

I'm a university student with one more year left. I have a design/fine arts major and I will to pursue graphic design after I graduate. I plan to do so in CA where I hopefully won't end up in a delightful cardboard box on the sidewalk.

I've been a PC user in the past but my graphic design path has introduced me to Apple and I have to admit, I'm rather taken. My school provides us with Power Mac G5's.

For my next computer I've decided to go ahead and buy Apple but the whole new intel thing has thrown me a little. After a bit an anxiety and obsessive reading of reviews and tips and such I decided on the new iMac Intel Core Duo.

Specifically, the 17" model with a 500gb hard drive (overkill?) and 1.5gb of RAM (I plan on purchasing and installing 1gb of RAM). It comes to $1626 with my educational discount. (with free shipping and printer after rebate, oh my!) I would use it for several years, into my actual job.

I figure the iMac is portable enough to be hauled around when I fly from home to CA and on various trips.. but I don't really envision myself setting it up in B&N without feeling overwhelmingly geek.

However, as I begin poking around ebay and such, I wonder if I should get a recent 17" powerbook. I'd want 120gb hard drive and 1.5gb of RAM at the least for under $1500 (hah.. several hundreds under, actually. Did I mention I really like fantasy novels?) Is that even feasible? I would keep it for around two years and then upgrade after people like Adobe have built their programs to run properly on the new intel computers.

I'm torn between having a shiny laptop and having more power.

If you've managed to suffer through my rather lengthy, omg-plz-help!-whine, thank you. I really would appreciate any help, insight, or smacks upside the head to calm my vague feeling of panic. As a poor university student this is my first personal purchase $1000++ ever. I know, sad.

Thanks again!

leekohler
Apr 9, 2006, 03:55 AM
I would tell you this- get the iMac core duo. You say you have a year left at school, what do you do after that year? If you have an Intel Mac, you can look forward to better functionality with Adobe and Quark. On the other hand, you could get a G4 PB (really old technology) and be fine for a few years if you're lucky- and I mean WAY lucky. Given the fact that you're almost out of school, I would go for the iMac. There are a few lean years after college and the more current you are, the better. BTW- I'm a design professional who just got a new Power Mac G5 to get through the Intel switch, but I really think you'll be happier if you go for the Intel iMac- the G4s just won't cut it for you in the long run. Go for the power. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

MIDI_EVIL
Apr 9, 2006, 04:03 AM
Hi,

I would recommend the iMac Core Duo, being a student you will need to get the most bang for your buck! This machine will still be capable up to 3 years after you graduate. The PowerBook on the other hand, although it's a superb machine, is considerably far behind the Core Duo.

With the Intel switch, unless you are getting an incredibly good deal, or a cheap refurbished, or if you need to use Photoshop urgently to make a living, you would be silly to get a G4 machine.

Let us know what you decide on, don't be blinded by the deals offered if you buy a PowerBook, remember it's the machine's capability that matters.

Good luck! Welcome to Mac!

Rich.

theISHkid
Apr 9, 2006, 11:56 AM
I'm a student myself so I know the predicament you are in. I know you did not ask for this option but it is something worth considering. Wait for the new ibooks (macbooks) that should be coming out soon. I haven't seen benchmarks yet but from what I hear a new ibook is going to out do the old powerbooks. Either way they will have the new intel processors. You will be able to get one for 1500 or under as well and it will be extremely portable.
I have two computers. I powermac and a powerbook. Ever since I bought the laptop I haven't turned my pomermac on but maybe 5 times which is why i'm trying to sell it locally now. I just really think you would love the portability of a laptop the same way I do. It has been extremely helpful to carry with me to class, go on trips (as you suggested), do my design work... and it's powerful enough to run all the macromedia apps, all the adobe apps, and final cut pro. If the ibook is anything like i've heard it is... it will run all those applications with no problem for many years to come. Plus you would get piece of mind from buying a new product, and the ability to run windows if needed.