Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevin7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Im still a slave to micro$oft, hvta... because, i need gaming on my computer... esp, lan gaming... haa... but, i hope i can use mac for my design job... in dilemma all the time.. now i heard bout the boot camp that allow dual boot works flawlessly in mac... that's so awesome, like a dream come true...

so, anyone try before lan gaming.. like.. warcraft III, counter strike...?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Warcraft III will run under OS X and will talk to the Windows version over a LAN. Counter Strike will run under Boot Camp, and will of course talk to other Windows systems.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
kevin7 said:
Im still a slave to micro$oft, hvta... because, i need gaming on my computer... esp, lan gaming... haa... but, i hope i can use mac for my design job... in dilemma all the time.. now i heard bout the boot camp that allow dual boot works flawlessly in mac... that's so awesome, like a dream come true...

so, anyone try before lan gaming.. like.. warcraft III, counter strike...?

I'm a heavy CS:S player, and last night after installing boot-camp on Friday, I handed my PC onto my kids.

The 17' iMac ran as fast as my old rig with more things turned on. Very happy.

I must admit I haven't hit any problems at all with games, total result.

Bug

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Only thing about LAN games is the internal speaker, and there's no reliable way to turn it off. I hope they fix it soon or find a way around it.

PuNkErX

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2004
CS:S works perfectly under boot camp, but I never tried it with the HDR stuff.
Selling that POS Dell for the MBP was the best choice I've made :D

Os Xp

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
I've played Dawn of War with my friend a few times... there was a considerable delay, when I would click to tell my units to move/build something there would be a 1 second delay from when I clicked to when they would actually do it. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, just something to look out for.

kevin7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
very good.. can't wait to hv my 1st apple laptop... it's quite expensive though... time to save some $$$... afterall, this isn't the good time to buy a laptop... new macos coming soon, intel core duo will drop price.. and some new front-end ibook goona release!...

anw, time to save some money... hahaa...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
It should work fine.

There is no question that LAN gaming would work on an Intel Mac running Boot Camp. The only considerable concerns are that this is still a beta, it runs fine and is pretty stable but, yes, it's still a beta. Also the sound will come out of the speakers even if you have headphones plugged in. I have heard some say that you can turn the speaker settings all the way down and turn the headphone volume up, I have yet to confirm this but, eventually there will be an update to fix this and other quirks.

I believe it's fine for now, there may be a minor fix or two but, I wouldn't expect to see a final version, especially not for free until it's included with Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard". You should be able to bring your Mac to any LAN party, you may turn a few heads but, everything should go fine with no problems unless Windows decides to give you trouble.

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
kevin7 said:
very good.. can't wait to hv my 1st apple laptop... it's quite expensive though... time to save some $$$... afterall, this isn't the good time to buy a laptop... new macos coming soon, intel core duo will drop price.. and some new front-end ibook goona release!...

anw, time to save some money... hahaa...

Yeah, Im gonna wait until the new OS until I buy a MBP with full dual boot support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.