PDA

View Full Version : LAN gaming on Mac?

kevin7
Apr 9, 2006, 04:48 AM
Im still a slave to micro$oft, hvta... because, i need gaming on my computer... esp, lan gaming... haa... but, i hope i can use mac for my design job... in dilemma all the time.. now i heard bout the boot camp that allow dual boot works flawlessly in mac... that's so awesome, like a dream come true...

so, anyone try before lan gaming.. like.. warcraft III, counter strike...?

Nermal
Apr 9, 2006, 05:15 AM
Warcraft III will run under OS X and will talk to the Windows version over a LAN. Counter Strike will run under Boot Camp, and will of course talk to other Windows systems.

bugfaceuk
Apr 10, 2006, 05:35 AM
Im still a slave to micro$oft, hvta... because, i need gaming on my computer... esp, lan gaming... haa... but, i hope i can use mac for my design job... in dilemma all the time.. now i heard bout the boot camp that allow dual boot works flawlessly in mac... that's so awesome, like a dream come true...

so, anyone try before lan gaming.. like.. warcraft III, counter strike...?

I'm a heavy CS:S player, and last night after installing boot-camp on Friday, I handed my PC onto my kids.

The 17' iMac ran as fast as my old rig with more things turned on. Very happy.

I must admit I haven't hit any problems at all with games, total result.

Bug

kainjow
Apr 10, 2006, 12:57 PM
Only thing about LAN games is the internal speaker, and there's no reliable way to turn it off. I hope they fix it soon or find a way around it.

PuNkErX
Apr 10, 2006, 04:40 PM
CS:S works perfectly under boot camp, but I never tried it with the HDR stuff.
Selling that POS Dell for the MBP was the best choice I've made :D

Os Xp
Apr 10, 2006, 06:08 PM
I've played Dawn of War with my friend a few times... there was a considerable delay, when I would click to tell my units to move/build something there would be a 1 second delay from when I clicked to when they would actually do it. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, just something to look out for.

kevin7
Apr 10, 2006, 08:35 PM
very good.. can't wait to hv my 1st apple laptop... it's quite expensive though... time to save some $$$... afterall, this isn't the good time to buy a laptop... new macos coming soon, intel core duo will drop price.. and some new front-end ibook goona release!...

anw, time to save some money... hahaa...

LimeiBook86
Apr 10, 2006, 09:20 PM
There is no question that LAN gaming would work on an Intel Mac running Boot Camp. The only considerable concerns are that this is still a beta, it runs fine and is pretty stable but, yes, it's still a beta. Also the sound will come out of the speakers even if you have headphones plugged in. I have heard some say that you can turn the speaker settings all the way down and turn the headphone volume up, I have yet to confirm this but, eventually there will be an update to fix this and other quirks.

I believe it's fine for now, there may be a minor fix or two but, I wouldn't expect to see a final version, especially not for free until it's included with Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard". You should be able to bring your Mac to any LAN party, you may turn a few heads but, everything should go fine with no problems unless Windows decides to give you trouble.

Lopez.T.H.
Apr 10, 2006, 10:20 PM
very good.. can't wait to hv my 1st apple laptop... it's quite expensive though... time to save some $$$... afterall, this isn't the good time to buy a laptop... new macos coming soon, intel core duo will drop price.. and some new front-end ibook goona release!...

anw, time to save some money... hahaa...

Yeah, Im gonna wait until the new OS until I buy a MBP with full dual boot support.