PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp 'trial period'

joseph2166
Apr 9, 2006, 06:50 AM
Apple says on it's webpage: Bootcamp "is preview software licensed for use on a TRIAL basis for a LIMITED time. "

In that the next OSX won't be released until near the end of the year what do people expect apple to do - any thoughts?

Will they allow this beta version (and any beta updates they do) run for ever, or until the next OSX comes out, or maybe they will be mean and cancal it now? Any thoughts?

RBMaraman
Apr 9, 2006, 07:33 AM
If you read the license agreement for Boot Camp, you'll see that the Beta doesn't expire until September of 2007, almost a year and a half from now. Personally, I expect Leopard (OS X.5) to be released somewhere around this time next year. So, what I expect will happen is exactly the same as what Apple did with iChat AV. You can purchase Leopard and get the full version, or once the Beta expires, you can pay $29.95 for the full version and run it on Tiger (OS X.4)

jsfpa
Apr 9, 2006, 07:37 AM
I have a stupid question. Isn't Bootcamp just used to set up the partition and install windows? Once it is set up do you really need Bootcamp ?

JayMak
Apr 9, 2006, 07:45 AM
Was wondering the same, maybe the setup program expires, but does bootloader expire?

I guess it could too?

yankeefan24
Apr 9, 2006, 07:46 AM
I have a stupid question. Isn't Bootcamp just used to set up the partition and install windows? Once it is set up do you really need Bootcamp ?

it also runs the boot selector, which is required to choose to run windows on startup.

joseph2166
Apr 9, 2006, 08:03 AM
Ahh right - thanks that's a reassurance. I've been woundering if I can sell my PC (need the money) and was woundering if it was 'safe'. Good ol' apple.

cann11
Apr 11, 2006, 11:32 AM
Ahh right - thanks that's a reassurance. I've been woundering if I can sell my PC (need the money) and was woundering if it was 'safe'. Good ol' apple.

I believe the boot selector is the same one that is used to boot classic on the ppc, I don't think its anything new and not part of bootcamp.

Also the firmware update to efi that makes the dual boot possible is not beta.
I don't think it would take much effort to come up with a boot manager once that is in place and the partitions are already created.
The intel mac is not much different than a plain old grey box pc, I bet partionmagic will even work on it.

I suppose that they could put a timeout in the startup applet thats installed in windows but why would they bother.

I can see the lawsuits now if users suddenly couldn't get at their important data on the windows partition because the beta software time out.
Also along the same lines I doubt until apple releases this in prod any corporate users will be using it, big corporations anyway usually won't commit monetary resources to software that is beta and is time limited.

I would suspect only the bootcamp wizard would timeout.

LimeiBook86
Apr 11, 2006, 01:23 PM
Yes it will expire September 2007 but, yes Mac OS X 10.5 should be out by then with the final version. Like RBMaraman said before, this is similar to what happened in Mac OS X 10.2 and iChat AV where users can continue using it for a fee, or get it free when the upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5. Weather or not Apple will have any more boot camp updates for free or for a fee is unkown, we'll just have to wait and see.:)

Please try performing a search next time or look on the next page of this section, this has been asked at least two times already just a few days ago.:p