PDA

View Full Version : dauthorizing a computer I have already formatted?

M. Malone
Apr 9, 2006, 05:13 PM
hey everyone, I authorized a second mac, then it had some problems with it's hardware and had to be returned to Apple, I formatted it and completely forgot about this whole "de-authorize" thing....now what happens?

stridey
Apr 9, 2006, 05:14 PM
You can petition apple to deauthorize it for you. There's a form somewhere on the support site.

grapes911
Apr 9, 2006, 05:15 PM
How do I deauthorize all of my computers?
If you have authorized five computers, a button labeled "Deauthorize All" will appear in your Account Information screen. This button will deauthorize all computers associated with your account. You can then reauthorize up to 5 computers. Note: You can only use this feature once a year.
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/authorization/

joshysquashy
Apr 9, 2006, 06:09 PM
As they clearly state, you can authorize up to 5 computers, when you reach the limit, you are given the option to deauthorize them all. After this, you can start authorizing just the ones you want again. There is no harm in having several authorized computers.

M. Malone
Apr 9, 2006, 06:39 PM
thank you all, well I sent an e-mail to Apple, I'll see what happens and let you all know :D

grapes911
Apr 9, 2006, 06:42 PM
thank you all, well I sent an e-mail to Apple, I'll see what happens and let you all know :D
I don't think that was the best move. I would have waited until you used up all 5 authorizations then I would have deauthorized them all at once. Apple will probably help you now, but since you can only deauthorize all your computers once a year, if you run in to trouble later this year, you may be in BIG trouble. I wish you luck.

evilgEEk
Apr 9, 2006, 08:04 PM
I once used up all my authorizations because my worthless Windows box had to be formatted so many times after hard crashes and/or contracting a virus. When I was denied authorization after the last format I just called Apple up on the phone, and after a hearty laugh by the woman assisting me, she deauthorized all my computers for me.

Shortly thereafter I got my first PowerMac. :D

DakotaGuy
Apr 9, 2006, 08:55 PM
I found out that iTunes attaches it's authorizations to the computer not the HD. I found this out when I took my iMac G5 in to get a new logic board installed. They never touched the HD, but when I tried to play my purchased songs after I got it back it forced me make a new account because it assumed it was a new computer.

redAPPLE
Apr 10, 2006, 01:24 AM
I once used up all my authorizations because my worthless Windows box had to be formatted so many times after hard crashes and/or contracting a virus. When I was denied authorization after the last format I just called Apple up on the phone, and after a hearty laugh by the woman assisting me, she deauthorized all my computers for me.

Shortly thereafter I got my first PowerMac. :D

i had two bad experiences with peecees. :eek: a long story. don't ask.

anyway, can a peecee be deauthorized, if it is not connected to the internet any more?

can i get a copy of songs bought from iTMS, which were unfortunately deleted, as the old peecee left for "peecee hell"?

anba
Apr 10, 2006, 07:59 AM
I gave my old iBook to my Mom and forgot to deauthorize it before I reformatted the hard drive.

I was however able to deauthorize the computer after the reformat by just going back into iTunes.

yellow
Apr 10, 2006, 08:20 AM
AFAIK, reformatting shouldn't effect your authorizations.

It should be based on some available static information like your en0 MAC address or serial number or something like that.

IME, it's been logic boards replaced or HDs moved to new computers that cause a real loss of a single authentication.

-Garry-
Apr 10, 2006, 11:37 AM
AFAIK, reformatting shouldn't effect your authorizations.

It should be based on some available static information like your en0 MAC address or serial number or something like that.

IME, it's been logic boards replaced or HDs moved to new computers that cause a real loss of a single authentication.

Reformatting does affect the authorisations. Take it from me. :)

topgunn
Apr 10, 2006, 11:58 AM
Reformatting does affect the authorisations. Take it from me. :)
Same here. I had to tell the guy who was helping me at Apple that reformatting does affect authorizations. He was very adament that it doesn't.

yellow
Apr 10, 2006, 12:03 PM
I've cloned & reformatted my boot HD and never lost any of my authorizations.
And according to the doc, reformatting does NOT affect the number of computers listed for authorization:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

Notes

While you may need to enter your account information again after initializing the hard disk, initializing the hard disk itself does not remove the computer from the list of authorized computers. If you plan to initialize the hard disk prior to selling or donating your computer, deauthorize the computer first, then initialize the hard disk.

plinden
Apr 10, 2006, 12:18 PM
Same here. I had to tell the guy who was helping me at Apple that reformatting does affect authorizations. He was very adament that it doesn't.
I was going to agree with you, but I'm not sure if it always affects authorizations.

While I was trying to keep my Dell going, I had to reformat three times in a week from an unusable state (ie. couldn't access iTunes to deauthorize), and installed iTunes each time when it looked like I had a successful install.

That means I should have used up three authorizations for the Dell alone. However, according to iTunes music store, I now have used up four authorizations. I can account for three (iMac, Dell laptop, dead Dell desktop). So either my three reformats used up two authorizations, or I authorized another computer at one time and forgot about it. I'm beginning to think the second is what happened. Either way, reformatting doesn't necessarily affect authorizations.

evoluzione
Apr 10, 2006, 04:18 PM
yeah i just got a new logic board and proc in my G4 dp, had to authorise everything again, but i'd maxxed out at 5 so i deauthorised, very simple and easy process really.

i do have a bunch of pruchased songs that i backed up prior to a reinstall, and then they corrupted :( gotta see if Apple will let me redownload them for free, it's a couple hundred bucks worth, if it were just one or two albums i wouldn't care...