PDA

View Full Version : MBP or Powerbook ?




plarusa
Apr 10, 2006, 12:25 PM
I purchased a MBP this weekend (the mid range model), but using it during the past two days did not convince me that the MBP is a better computer than the PB (I also own the 12" model). Here is why,

Good:
1)The MBP is faster than the PB, but I find that for everyday use the speed increase claims (2-4x) are exagerated. For example, the MBP does not boot significantly faster than the 12" PB.
2)The MBP runs Windows very well. I installed Windows XP in a Parallels Workstation VM, and the results are very encouraging. There are still rough edges, but this a very good solution for those of us who need to run Windows.
3)I like the integrated camera and Front Row.

Bad:
1)Runs too hot for my taste, even after installing 10.4.6 and the latest firmware update. I believe the intense heat will lead to component failures down the road. In all fairness, other PCs in the same class have a similar problem.
2)There is a light buzzing sound coming out of the right side of the MBP. This is actually very anoying if you work in a quiet setting. This problem is well documented, but so far there appears to be no acceptable solution (I read about the various workarounds, but I don't want the side effects).
3)Battery life is not great. I get between 2 and 3 hours on the MBP while I can get nearly 5 hours on the PB. This is more a difference between the 12" and the 15" models.
4)Many of the programs I use must run under Rosetta (Office, Safari, Remote Desktop). I just found out that I need to run Safari under Rosetta because some of the plugins are not native yet. Though the speed decrease is not noticeable, the machine must work harder than necessary.
5)It is a very expensive PC. You can purchase a similarily featured PC for much less money. But those PCs can't run OS X.

The above negative comments aside, the MBP is what Apple intends to sell from now on, so if you don't own one now, you will have to purchase one in the future. But as of today, if you own a PB (particularly if you have one of the latest PBs), you might think twice before dumping it for a MBP. I must choose within the next few days between selling the PB and returning the MBP.



hikingnclimbing
Apr 10, 2006, 01:15 PM
I

If we're going to recommend one or the other, we need to know more than simply just "I". Like what your budget is and what you plan on doing with it. Just a thought.

~Shard~
Apr 10, 2006, 01:20 PM
I

Does the "I" mean you're leaning towards Intel as opposed to PPC?

XP Defector
Apr 10, 2006, 01:42 PM
I see what you're saying, but the powerbooks were perhaps at the apex of their evolution before their subsequent discontinuation. The MacBook Pro seems be experiencing launch problems, but this should be resolved - one would presume - the longer they are available. I don't understand the actual logic of upgrading if you have the necessary power to maintain whatever you choose to do on your Apple Mac or PC.

If you do need to upgrade beyond the reasons of fancy, then I might suggest you wait until Merom/Leopard comes as standard with MacBook Pro, by which time they should have all the problems resolved. I'm no expert on Apple, but from what I've gathered the switch from PPC to Intel Core Duo has been testing. I myself was going to buy a MacBook Pro on release, but I've been dejected by the apparently high degree of launch troubles with them.

Powerbooks are still fantastic machines, much faster than my ageing Dell P4 2.4gig, and they are certainly by no means 'outdated' in the literal sense of the defintion. MacBook Pros look like excellent machines that are only going to improve with time, I myself will be waiting a few months until I part with my 2000k.

M. Malone
Apr 10, 2006, 01:48 PM
you clearly seem to have no need for the MacBook Pro, your PowerBook seems to suit you just fine for now, I say return the MacBook Pro, keep the PowerBook, for the uses you mentioned, Safari, Remote Desktop, Office, your PowerBook should still be ok. Until the moment comes where your PowerBook can't handle these apps, then you should consider a newer machine.

My uncle has owned a couple of PowerBooks and then he got the MacBook Pro, fully equipped with 2 gigs ram, 256 video, 2.16ghz. When I asked him how he liked it, he said he hasn't noticed a difference what so ever, he is an average computer user, mainly browsing, iChat, Mail, Office...he said other than the built in camera and the brighter screen, he feels it's just another PowerBook.

I recently got an intel iMac with a 500 gig hard drive, because I shoot a lot of movies and the Core Duo is amazing with making movies, so fast compared to my PowerBook. I was also planning on getting a MacBook Pro in June, but when I used my intel iMac for browsing, iChat, Office, mail, it wasn't that big of a difference compared to my PowerBook, so I decided, movie editing and everything else is for the iMac. On the go, Browsing, iChat, Word Processing, Mail, etc. would be on the PowerBook, at this rate I feel the PowerBook will last through Leopard. And if you don't plan on utilizing such power, I say return the MacBook Pro and keep your PowerBook until it starts to suck at running those simple apps, which should be a while.

goodluck :)

MovieCutter
Apr 10, 2006, 02:07 PM
If you're gonna sell the Powerbook...do it quick, because the resale value on those things are dropping faster than George W. Bush staff members. All politics aside, I just sold my PB for a MBP and will never look back. I got lucky that I sold mine for as much as I did right before boot camp and benchmark numbers came out. The PB is last year's (read four years ago) news. The Intel Mac portable is where it's at, especially if you do any of the iLife, miscellaneous web/email browsing, Windows apps, etc. I would sell your PB without question and either keep your MBP or get a MacBook when they come out. You'll be on the Intel cutting edge, and it'll be unlikely that you'd run into heat issues, buzzing, whining, or any of that stuff. I'm not saying the PB is bad for your situation, but if you're contemplating selling it, yesterday is the time.

JonnyMac
Apr 10, 2006, 02:22 PM
Return the MBP. You seem biased towards returning it anyway. If price is of any issue to you (as you note in the negatives), there is no reason to upgrade from your PB now in the first place.

m-dogg
Apr 10, 2006, 02:24 PM
The PB is last year's (read four years ago) news. The Intel Mac potable is where it's at, especially if you do any of the iLife, miscellaneous web/email browsing, Windows apps, etc. I would sell your PB without question and either keep your MBP or get a MacBook when they come out.

??? :confused:

Okay, except for running windows, the PB will be just fine for what you listed.

MovieCutter
Apr 10, 2006, 02:35 PM
??? :confused:

Okay, except for running windows, the PB will be just fine for what you listed.

Sure it will, right now. I never said it wouldn't. But in terms of the iLife apps, they are SIGNIFICANTLY faster than on a G4. I ran my 1.67 PBG4 and my MBP side by side and there is a MAJOR difference running iPhoto, GarageBand, iWeb, etc. Not to mention i have NEVER browsed in Safari so quickly. The first time I surfed the web on a MBP I was noticeably impressed...and I have a Quad (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=192173) for christ sake..(and the reason behind the link is partly due to the speed of the MBP vs. that Quad.

the Helix
Apr 10, 2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, go ahead and return the MB Pro. You're perfectly fine with the PowerBook.

Demon Hunter
Apr 10, 2006, 04:58 PM
1)The MBP is faster than the PB, but I find that for everyday use the speed increase claims (2-4x) are exagerated. For example, the MBP does not boot significantly faster than the 12" PB.


It was on that premise that I recently bought my 12-inch PowerBook. :)

You'll be on the Intel cutting edge, and it'll be unlikely that you'd run into heat issues, buzzing, whining, or any of that stuff.

How's that? These are the most widespread issues of any Apple portable in recent memory.

danny_w
Apr 10, 2006, 05:11 PM
I'd say for your applications you'd be best to keep the pb. I just bought a 15" pb 1.5GHz for less than half of what the cheapest MBP would have cost me, and it will be quite adequate for my needs for quite some time yet. Yes the MBP is fast (I played with one Saturday at the Apple store), but not worth the price difference to me.

sjshaw
Apr 10, 2006, 05:14 PM
IMHO, most normal users will see no benefit to multi-core machines, at least for a few years. Return the MBP and buy the iBook/MacBook when it comes out.

MovieCutter
Apr 10, 2006, 06:00 PM
It was on that premise that I recently bought my 12-inch PowerBook. :)



How's that? These are the most widespread issues of any Apple portable in recent memory.


I was actually referring to the OP purchasing the potential MacBook when they are released. The likeliness of them having the same issue(s) is slim.

Demon Hunter
Apr 10, 2006, 07:50 PM
I was actually referring to the OP purchasing the potential MacBook when they are released. The likeliness of them having the same issue(s) is slim.

Ohh, Macbook. The confusion begins.

spencecb
Apr 10, 2006, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=dferrara]It was on that premise that I recently bought my 12-inch PowerBook. :)[QUOTE=dferrara]


I don't really understand this point when considering buying new computers any longer. If you are talking everyday tasks like using Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, Mail and a couple other things, Idon't think there will be many more improvements in speed for these types of things. Most of those everyday tasks are as fast as they will ever be. Just my opinion.

jamesi
Apr 10, 2006, 10:54 PM
i forget why everyone still keeps this topic in contention. stay away from powerpc hardware, the end.

plarusa
Apr 10, 2006, 11:33 PM
i forget why everyone still keeps this topic in contention. stay away from powerpc hardware, the end.


Not quite the end, I decided to keep the MBP and sell the PB. While I am not fully statisfied with this computer, I want to support Apple in their new direction. Plus even with the flaws, the MBP is still way better than what is available from other OEMs. I remain hopeful that in due time, the issues I have will be resolved. The end.

QCassidy352
Apr 10, 2006, 11:57 PM
How's that? These are the most widespread issues of any Apple portable in recent memory.

nope, that would be the horizontal lines ("http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=158751) on the high res 15" powerbooks G4s which apparently effected every single unit. :p

IMO, if you can go with an intel, you should. They are the future. Sell the PPC while you can still get a decent amount for it. (and yea, the prices on those are dropping fast)

jamesi
Apr 11, 2006, 01:10 AM
plarusa, i dont see how your point deviates much from mine. it is the end for powerpc hardware if you realize the capabilities of the future inel chips. i wouldnt buy the new hardware to support apple, but rather make an intelligent investment. i got a 17" pb in august and while the macbook pro may be more powerful, i know i would get cheated outa a good price since who would pay decently for hardware that has beens surpassed. ill wait a few years to buy another

Demon Hunter
Apr 11, 2006, 06:42 AM
I don't really understand this point when considering buying new computers any longer. If you are talking everyday tasks like using Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, Mail and a couple other things, Idon't think there will be many more improvements in speed for these types of things. Most of those everyday tasks are as fast as they will ever be. Just my opinion.

You don't understand my point but you agree it's fine for everyday tasks? :confused:

plarusa
Apr 11, 2006, 11:00 AM
nope, that would be the horizontal lines ("http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=158751) on the high res 15" powerbooks G4s which apparently effected every single unit. :p

IMO, if you can go with an intel, you should. They are the future. Sell the PPC while you can still get a decent amount for it. (and yea, the prices on those are dropping fast)

I don't believe the PB prices should drop so fast. The PPC PBs are still very viable products, and should remain so for several years since all the software releases will work on them. What's more, Apple does not currently have a replacement for the 12" PB, and from what I hear there is no plan for one. If I cannot get a descent price for the PB, I will keep it

the Helix
Apr 11, 2006, 11:27 AM
MB Pro or PowerBook, y'know... either way you can't lose.