PDA

View Full Version : retro laptop advice (ibook g4 to pismo)

jakethesnake
Apr 10, 2006, 06:39 PM
My girlfriend just got a job this summer that requires her to have a laptop, except she doesn't have one so she offered to buy my ibook g4 (which is currently having trouble) for about $400. This will leave me without a computer but when I was looking into using this money to buy a pismo to tide me over till I got the money for a MBP or new intel ibook. Would this be a good idea? If I was just planing on using it for internet, word, and maybe game or two (keeping in mind the games would be Baldur's gate 2, Icewind dale, and Diablo 2 or something like that ment for the specs of the system) would I see a noticeable (i.e. unbareable) speed drop? And for that money what upgrades should I expect? Thanks.

Mord
Apr 10, 2006, 06:45 PM
make her buy the pismo, seriously, why accept that lowball offer, even from your girlfriend.

calebjohnston
Apr 10, 2006, 06:51 PM
Word to the wise: Don't deal with large sums of money in a relationship that isn't extremely dedicated.

Money = problems. always.

jadekitty24
Apr 10, 2006, 07:03 PM
Word to the wise: Don't deal with large sums of money in a relationship that isn't extremely dedicated.

Money = problems. always.
True, so true.

Mord
Apr 10, 2006, 07:04 PM
let her borrow it for work ect, but keep it as your own.

jakethesnake
Apr 10, 2006, 09:06 PM
let her borrow it for work ect, but keep it as your own.
Thanks for the replies guys. The only problem with this is that this is a summer job only and it is going to be 5 hours away so that wouldn't work. While I would have her buy it as someone metioned, I would rather her give me the money so that I could get the right one, and would rather be the one who picked it out.

Mord
Apr 11, 2006, 03:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/iBook-12-1-800MHz-G4-640MB-60GB-HD-ComboDrive_W0QQitemZ8794692690QQcategoryZ4602QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

make her buy that then

weg
Apr 11, 2006, 03:56 AM
why accept that lowball offer, even from your girlfriend.

He said the iBook "is currently having troubles". I wouldn't shell out $400 for a iBook that's not working..

Mord
Apr 11, 2006, 04:21 AM
depending on the problems i would, for example if i sold my ibook on ebay right now it wouldent be worth squat, but it's worth more to me due to the fact that i dont care that the ethernet port only works at a certain angle and the dvd drive only works if you hit it

Demon Hunter
Apr 11, 2006, 06:47 AM
i dont care that the ethernet port only works at a certain angle and the dvd drive only works if you hit it

Lol. ;)

jakethesnake
Apr 11, 2006, 09:22 AM
the dvd drive only works if you hit it
Haha one of my problems is the slotdrive has to be held open when ejecting a cd cause of some reason the frame aroun it has kinda fell in. Also the screen is slanted for some odd reason, and some programs won't run properly (iPhoto). She also caused the "s" to be messed up, now it kinda just sits in place half connected.

Also keep in mind this is only a temp solution till a get a new computer sometime next year.

Mord
Apr 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
i'd swap the s key for another, like the key as it's near useless, that way it does not interrupt typing, i have the key where my J key should be

mmmcheese
Apr 11, 2006, 03:16 PM
Haha one of my problems is the slotdrive has to be held open when ejecting a cd cause of some reason the frame aroun it has kinda fell in. Also the screen is slanted for some odd reason, and some programs won't run properly (iPhoto). She also caused the "s" to be messed up, now it kinda just sits in place half connected.

Also keep in mind this is only a temp solution till a get a new computer sometime next year.

Get a small nail file and take the S key off...the mechanism has probably just fallen apart on one side. Re-assemble it and it should be fine. The iBook keyboard comes apart (and goes back together) really easily.

jakethesnake
Apr 11, 2006, 06:28 PM
Get a small nail file and take the S key off...the mechanism has probably just fallen apart on one side. Re-assemble it and it should be fine. The iBook keyboard comes apart (and goes back together) really easily.
Hey what do you know. Thanks alot man.