Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
I just attempted a WinXP install, and everything went fine until i tried installing the mac mini drivers from the driver disc.

It told me the Intel drivers were not microsoft certified, and i wanted to say install anyway - too bad at that point it blew away my USB drivers already and i no longer had a mouse or keyboard. Nothing left to do at this point but repartition the drive and lose the windows install. :mad:

Anyone else see this?

sabor

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2006
I don't think you lost your USB drivers, I did have disconnects from mouse and keyboard, but I just unplugged them and plugged them back again and they worked.

I have a dual core mac mini running XP right next to me :D

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
MacMini Solo

I have a MacMini CoreSolo and had no problems installing/useing XP. I have installed Star Trek: Armada 1 and 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstien (which runs better then my PC, at every thing at full. PC is a Celeron D @ 2.8ghrz 512k Ram, GeForce 2 MX 64mb), Command & Conquer: Tiberan Sun.

Sorry but I don't have Doom3 or any of the newer games to try on my Mini. :(

Hugh

jiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
well, i finally got it working, but it wasn't easy -

I tried doing the install as is, following the instructions again. No luck. Got to the same point (installing the chipset drivers), told me that the chipset drivers were not microsoft certified, but I couldn't select anything because all USB ports were dead (no mouse and keyboard). I tried unplugging and replugging, using different ports, plugging in other devices, nada. USB was gone.

So i wiped and started again. I needed a way to perform the install without losing the mouse or keyboard.. *lightbulb* MS Terminal Session (remote desktop)! So this time instead of installing the drivers right away, i enabled remote login, and using another computer i tried to terminal session in to my macMini. No luck again, because the windows didnt have drivers for the ethernet controller. No network connection at all. :mad:

Then, i headed over to onmac.net, got the appropriate (illegitimate?) ethernet driver and installed that. Now i had network access.. so far so good. Next i inserted the Drivers CD and headed over to the other machine. I terminal session'ed in to the macMini (successfully this time!) and started the install. Only now was I able to click the Continue Anyway button. Then the installer hung. &*#&(@*&!!! Ok, hail mary reboot. Try again. FINALLY INSTALLED. Wow.

Now, is windows REALLY something I want to use? :p ;)

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Keyboard and mouse

jiker said:
well, i finally got it working, but it wasn't easy -

I tried doing the install as is, following the instructions again. No luck. Got to the same point (installing the chipset drivers), told me that the chipset drivers were not microsoft certified, but I couldn't select anything because all USB ports were dead (no mouse and keyboard). I tried unplugging and replugging, using different ports, plugging in other devices, nada. USB was gone.

So i wiped and started again. I needed a way to perform the install without losing the mouse or keyboard.. *lightbulb* MS Terminal Session (remote desktop)! So this time instead of installing the drivers right away, i enabled remote login, and using another computer i tried to terminal session in to my macMini. No luck again, because the windows didnt have drivers for the ethernet controller. No network connection at all. :mad:

Then, i headed over to onmac.net, got the appropriate (illegitimate?) ethernet driver and installed that. Now i had network access.. so far so good. Next i inserted the Drivers CD and headed over to the other machine. I terminal session'ed in to the macMini (successfully this time!) and started the install. Only now was I able to click the Continue Anyway button. Then the installer hung. &*#&(@*&!!! Ok, hail mary reboot. Try again. FINALLY INSTALLED. Wow.

Now, is windows REALLY something I want to use? :p ;)

What kind of keyboard and mouse are you using? I am using an Apple Pro (black keys) keyboard with a logitech mouse and I didn't have any of the troubles at all.

Hugh

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
That sucks. That did happen to me with my Bluetooth peripherals though. Everytime I switched OSes, it wouldn't work. The Mac was nicer about it than Windows though.

jiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
Hugh said:
What kind of keyboard and mouse are you using? I am using an Apple Pro (black keys) keyboard with a logitech mouse and I didn't have any of the troubles at all.

Hugh

I'm using a purple iMac keyboard and a Logitech mouse.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
After G said:
That sucks. That did happen to me with my Bluetooth peripherals though. Everytime I switched OSes, it wouldn't work. The Mac was nicer about it than Windows though.

That's because Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse is not supported. Read the instructions people :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
jiker said:
I'm using a purple iMac keyboard and a Logitech mouse.

Wow that's before my keyboard, I would think you wouldn't have any problems at all with it. Some one else in another thread said they where having troubles with their Logitech mouse as well. Interesting....:confused:

Hugh

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
MacRumorUser said:
That's because Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse is not supported. Read the instructions people :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Um, works great here. :eek:

No problems with BT Apple Keyboard. However took me a while to figure out how to pair the mouse, trick is to use "0000" as Passkey.

Also found a cool program which lets you use 1-button mouse as a 2-button mouse in Windows.

:)

lesbarn

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2005
Kansas
Mac Mini Solo Works Great Mac or Windows XP Pro

I received my Mac Mini on Tuesday and put XP Pro on it that evening. No problems with the install everything went very normal. I have not had any problems with my Apple Pro keyboard and Mighty Mouse. I have been going back and forth between Windows XP Pro and have added the Mini do the Windows 2003 domain that I admin. I must admit this is a pretty fast machine for a basic computer. I am testing this Mini to find how well it works in Windows. My hope is our school will be able to purchase the new iBooks (MacBooks) and dual boot the systems (only the systems that have to run Windows). Hopefully we will never have to buy an straight Windows machine again.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
jiker said:
:

Then, i headed over to onmac.net, got the appropriate (illegitimate?) ethernet driver and installed that. Now i had network access..

Where are the drivers on onmac.net.. I dont see them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.