PDA

View Full Version : i think my iPod is dying!

Scarlet Fever
Apr 11, 2006, 03:21 AM
When i selected a playlist on my 10GB 3G iPod, the hard drive spun up, and it made a noise as if something was bent somewhere it shouldn't be. I replaced the battery recently, and i dont think i did a great job at it, but i wouldn't have thought i did anything to the HDD. It was running fine a few days ago, like it isnt something which has happened straight after i replaced the battery. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? If it is dead, i will be buying a new one very soon; i can't live without MyPod!

Macceptance
Apr 11, 2006, 08:48 PM
I believe my iPod makes the same noise yours does. I kept my 3G 15GB iPod in perfect condition, scratch-free, you get the idea, until a book fell on it in my bag. I removed the iPod from its case, and noticed a dent in the metal on the back, and also the metal was separated from the side of the iPod. Very disappointed, I turned it on, only to find it turned on and seemed like all was fine. I then turned it off, and very angry left it alone for a day. When i attempted to turn it on again, the hard drive made a huge whining noise and has not worked since. I agree, it stinks not having your iPod, but luckily I have a mini as a backup, although it does not hold my whole library. Best of luck to you.

Scarlet Fever
Apr 12, 2006, 12:54 AM
so its the hard drive gone. Next question, can i just throw laptop harddrives into it? Or is there a specific size for iPod HDDs? I really like it, it has done me very well (up until now!)
Thanks for the help

mad jew
Apr 12, 2006, 12:56 AM
A notebook hard drive is classed at 2.5" whereas the iPod uses 1.8" hard drives. They're not easy to find and replacing the hard drive is difficult. I guess it's worth a try although a new iPod might be cheaper and easier in the long run. :)

lamina
Apr 12, 2006, 06:29 AM
mad jew is correct. You can get some good money for a broken iPod on eBay. I usually buy them from there for spare parts for repairs. I just sold a broken iPod (bad hard drive) for $70US.

Scarlet Fever
Apr 13, 2006, 04:32 AM
...replacing the hard drive is difficult
It can't be that hard, can it? When i replaced the battery, i just had to tug on the HDD lightly to disconnect it.

LACOSTE
Apr 13, 2006, 04:49 AM
Sorry Scarlet... just engrave RIP on your broken iPod and cut your losses.

By doing so, u might get a better price on eBay too. :)

i agree with madjew... and the other... its probably more expensive to replace the hardrive. You're better off with a new nano or the new iPod :)

mad jew
Apr 13, 2006, 06:05 PM
Okay, well I'd argue that most people would find it difficult but if you're feeling apt, here's a guide (http://www.2guysamacandawebsite.com/article.php?id=588) on how to do it. Good luck. :)