PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases Remote Desktop 3

MacRumors
Apr 11, 2006, 08:02 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple announced the release of Apple Remote Desktop 3 today. The upgrade to the desktop-manangement software is now a universal application and comes with over 50 new features.

"With Apple Remote Desktop 3, we've delivered powerful innovations that make it even easier and more affordable to manage Macs," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.

New features include Spotlight searches across multiple Tiger systems, Automator tasks for administrators, AutoInstall, System Status Indicators, Power Copy, Remote Drag and Drop and more.

The new version of Apple Remote Desktop is available nopw for $299 (10 systems) and $499 (unlimited).

Platform
Apr 11, 2006, 08:06 AM
Looks good to me ;)

Universal, Tiger apps integration and remote OS updates great :)

menziep
Apr 11, 2006, 08:06 AM
The Tour on apples site is ok

Does this show that final cut express is coming soon:rolleyes:

Grimace
Apr 11, 2006, 08:07 AM
So long as it's faster than before. Managing computers in one building was fine, anything across town or across the country was ridiculously slow. :rolleyes:

steve_hill4
Apr 11, 2006, 08:13 AM
Looks nice, doubt I'll need it just yet though.

iGary
Apr 11, 2006, 08:15 AM
Nice to see the red-headed Aperture stepchildren are still left out. :rolleyes:

iMeowbot
Apr 11, 2006, 08:20 AM
So there's no new functionality in this thing, just a gooey ssh alternative. That's nice, I guess. Meh.

oingoboingo
Apr 11, 2006, 08:22 AM

They're probably waiting for the engineers to return from grief counselling after the arstechnica review was published.

whooleytoo
Apr 11, 2006, 08:22 AM
Spotlight searches across multiple desktops - sounds useful!

Abstract
Apr 11, 2006, 08:24 AM
Ah, so that's why the Apple Store was closed.

This answers that question, me thinks.

Lurch_Mojoff
Apr 11, 2006, 08:27 AM
This is a pretty exciting new version, with a lot of neat new features (autoinstall, curtain mode, remote drag and drop, and (my favorite) power copy, to name a few). However, there is one "feature" that may get overlooked, but that excites me the most - "brushed-metal-bgone"(tm). I'm glad Apple are consistently phasing brushed metal out. I believe the only Apple branded brushed metal programs left are Safari, Finder, iCal and iSync, major upgrades to which are generally made with or around the release of a new version of the OS itself.

timmillwood
Apr 11, 2006, 08:27 AM
why is it so expensive?

iMeowbot
Apr 11, 2006, 08:31 AM
why is it so expensive?
This is the fancy version. You can use VNC if you want a basic, free, solution.

Trowaman
Apr 11, 2006, 08:32 AM
This is a pretty exciting new version, with a lot of neat new features (autoinstall, curtain mode, remote drag and drop, and (my favorite) power copy, to name a few). However, there is one "feature" that may get overlooked, but that excites me the most - "brushed-metal-bgone"(tm). I'm glad Apple are consistently phasing brushed metal out. I believe the only Apple branded brushed metal programs left are Safari, Finder, iCal and iSync, major upgrades to which are generally made with or around the release of a new version of the OS itself.

Negative, you still got the pro video apps.

But those will be taken car of in 2 weeks or less.

encro
Apr 11, 2006, 08:32 AM

Time for you to celebrate this by heading to the International Ginger Kids Foundation ;)

http://www.gingerkids.org/index.html

KindredMAC
Apr 11, 2006, 08:37 AM
9:35am EST....
Apple Store back up..... what a crock of ***** reason to take the whole store down on a Tuesday morning..... How many does Apple Remote Desktop really benefit? Maybe 15% of all Mac users, if that?????

Where are the MacBook's to replace the iBooks???????

Bastards.....

skymaXimus
Apr 11, 2006, 08:40 AM
However, there is one "feature" that may get overlooked, but that excites me the most - "brushed-metal-bgone"(tm). I'm glad Apple are consistently phasing brushed metal out. I believe the only Apple branded brushed metal programs left are Safari, Finder, iCal and iSync, major upgrades to which are generally made with or around the release of a new version of the OS itself.

Don't forget Automator, QuickTime, Photo Booth, Address Book, Calculator, DVD Player, Font Book and iChat. There are still quite a few apps out there holding on to brushed metal for dear life.

supremedesigner
Apr 11, 2006, 08:41 AM

And don't forget DVD Player, too. It have brush metal :p

EDIT: ooops didn't see skymaXimus posted this before me! DARN!! :)

deadturtle
Apr 11, 2006, 08:49 AM
Why vote this negative? Because its not the next wonder toy laptop? Glad to see some of these updates, though for most users VNC will work just ducky most of the time.

mark88
Apr 11, 2006, 08:53 AM
I think RD3 looks pretty nice

But I have zero need for such an application atm.

Lurch_Mojoff
Apr 11, 2006, 08:54 AM
Don't forget Automator, QuickTime, Photo Booth, Address Book, Calculator, DVD Player, Font Book and iChat. There are still quite a few apps out there holding on to brushed metal for dear life.
:o OK, I stand corrected, but in my defense I'd like to say that I don't use any of those.:eek: Anyway, all of them are part of OS X so I guess I'm not far off.

MrCrowbar
Apr 11, 2006, 08:58 AM
Time for you to celebrate this by heading to the International Ginger Kids Foundation ;)

http://www.gingerkids.org/index.html

"Every day 1337 children are born with gingervitis in the United States alone"
leet? :confused:

Whistleway
Apr 11, 2006, 09:07 AM
Shouldn't this be free for a single client??.

Windows comes with RDC for free. Correct me if i am wrong.

Ta,

ASP272
Apr 11, 2006, 09:11 AM
This pisses me off! They can put Remote Spotlight Search into their new product, but they can't include Spotlight searches of external servers in one of their software updates? GRRRR! :mad:

ManchesterTrix
Apr 11, 2006, 09:11 AM
Apple Store back up..... what a crock of ***** reason to take the whole store down on a Tuesday morning..... How many does Apple Remote Desktop really benefit? Maybe 15% of all Mac users, if that?????

Bastards.....

Yes because supporting the enterprise customers is always a bad move.

macnews
Apr 11, 2006, 09:13 AM

Bastards.....

I use Remote Desktop and love the program - not perfect but like many things mac, simple to use. Yes, ssh is nice and free but it just is not as simple to "get" as ARD is - granted, if I had one to two machines I might use ssh but with a lab of 30+ ARD saves time.

Now, did the Apple store have to be down for this update - hardly. I can't believe this would put the entire store down. Maybe there was something else going on that we haven't found out about yet?

ManchesterTrix
Apr 11, 2006, 09:16 AM

Ta,

This is not equivilent to RDC.

iMeowbot
Apr 11, 2006, 09:17 AM
It is. See the third column of this page (http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/resources.html).

I thought you had to pay for XP Pro to get the full thing?

nagromme
Apr 11, 2006, 09:21 AM
Sounds very cool.

I've had Chicken of the VNC recommended to me as a free solution (never tried it yet myself).

Tutorial on free Remote Desktop:

http://www.macminicolo.net/Mac_VNC_tutor.html

dr_lha
Apr 11, 2006, 09:27 AM
why is it so expensive?
Because its not meant for you. To the people who need this sort of thing, spending $500 on a piece of software is not unusual.

xparaparafreakx
Apr 11, 2006, 09:57 AM

Bastards.....

Calm down, your MacBook is coming. ARD does benefit me because as a part time IT, I can manage a lab from my high school I go to. Now I just got to add ARD 3 to the P.O.

twoodcc
Apr 11, 2006, 10:10 AM
this is great news! i probably won't use it, but still good news

KindredMAC
Apr 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
Calm down, your MacBook is coming. ARD does benefit me because as a part time IT, I can manage a lab from my high school I go to. Now I just got to a ARD 3 to the P.O.
My whole complaint is about them taking the whole store down on a TUESDAY morning when everyone is waiting for big news of a MacBook or iPod Video. they could have done this update at 3am this morning.... not the usual 8:30am on a Tuesday when that is when they brinf out the big guns.

Fotek2001
Apr 11, 2006, 10:15 AM
this is great news! i probably won't use it, but still good news

Thanks be to God! I've just inherited admin of a large Mac network and this will be a massive help!

iTron5
Apr 11, 2006, 10:21 AM
It is. See the third column of this page (http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/resources.html).

Xp pro and all windows servers since windows 2000 server have the remote desktop software built in. You can do 2 simultaneous connections to a machine for free, but if you need more then that then it starts to cost you. I don't know the cost off hand though. We use it extensively at work and often from home vpn into work then remote desktop into my development boxes. Couldn't live without this feature. Nice to see some upgrades to apples product, some of the features sound pretty nice.

pcp_ip
Apr 11, 2006, 11:05 AM
there's no upgrade path for current owners of ARD 2.2? That's nuts. We have to buy it outright all over again?

kainjow
Apr 11, 2006, 11:13 AM
"Every day 1337 children are born with gingervitis in the United States alone"
leet? :confused:
Hehe that's hilarious. :)

Some_Big_Spoon
Apr 11, 2006, 11:17 AM
Holy crap! He's saying what we're all thinking! :-D

Bastards.....

lazyrighteye
Apr 11, 2006, 11:26 AM
Dang.
Our company just purchased RD2 a few weeks ago.
I don't suppose there is any discounted upgrade pricing?

lazyrighteye

ChrisA
Apr 11, 2006, 11:29 AM
why is it so expensive?

At first it seems odd that it costs so much because the competition is free. VNC is free and ssh is included with Mac OS X. People who are managing many computers are likely at least a little bit sophisticated, enough to know at least how to set up and use ssh and VNC

So who buys this? I figure it's for organizations there it costs them $100/hr to keep the IT people on staff to then $400 is not a lot of money and if it makes their IT staff more productve there s a quick payback of the $400

For the rest of us the free tools work well. And (big AND here) the free tools are cross platform, work on Windows, Linux, Solaris and Macs

MacVault
Apr 11, 2006, 11:30 AM
I wish Apple would include a version with OS X. VNC sucks, and ARD for $299 is expensive for just the average user. I'd like something included in OS X similar to RDC on Windows XP.

yvovandoorn
Apr 11, 2006, 11:34 AM
Can't wait to get my hands on this puppy.

What is funny is that last night I was at http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop and thought to myself "when are they going to update this" then I wake up this morning and found out it was updated.

This is going to make my life a lot easier.

boncellis
Apr 11, 2006, 11:42 AM
...For the rest of us the free tools work well. And (big AND here) the free tools are cross platform, work on Windows, Linux, Solaris and Macs

That's really a crucial point, when you think about it. You knew this was going to come out on the heels of Boot Camp because of the possibility of keeping an exclusively Macintosh network. The question I have is whether Apple built some cross-platform functionality into this latest release. If not, it seems like they're missing out on something.

MacVault
Apr 11, 2006, 11:46 AM
I hope Apple doesn't think ARD takes the place of a good directory services (network management, deploying software, etc). For Apple to function well in the enterprise they'll need a good answer to Active Directory. I'm a Mac guy all the way but after being a network admin in an Active Directory environment Active Directory seems like a gift from god and I wonder if there's any equivelent from Apple. I've heard Open Directory doesn't compare, but I don't really know cuz I've never used it. Any thoughts?

Compufix
Apr 11, 2006, 11:47 AM
I wish Apple would include a version with OS X. VNC sucks, and ARD for $299 is expensive for just the average user. I'd like something included in OS X similar to RDC on Windows XP.

You do know that all 10.4 comes with ARD 2.2 client...even on Intel...and it has VNC built in....you just need to supply a password and turn it on.

You can use Chicken of the VNC on OSX or Tight VNC on Windows to then control the client...

ARD is soooo much more than RDC because of all the additional features....the task server is incredible, and about time...The curain mode has been around for years in other MS products....We have 4500 clients, and this makes management that much easier....

Still not perfect, but great strides towards....

-Compufix

MacNemesis
Apr 11, 2006, 11:48 AM

To quote others in this thread, it isn't for the average users. This is squarely in the Education and Enterprise IT environments. It is a little odd that they took the store down for this, but the day isn't over....

IT Admins around the country couldn't swipe their credit cards fast enough for this. This is NOT just VNC, this is desktop management like no other. And the added speed benefits, task server and curtain mode alone justify the cost (especially for EDU!). It's not cool new hardware, but we've been waiting for this for months. Now if the could only develop a lightweight client for windows, we could manage all the labs from one system! Oh the bliss.

And for those wondering about price. Ask Altiris or LanDesk about client prices. You're talking $50 at least per client. They can do more, but not much.

iMeowbot
Apr 11, 2006, 11:48 AM
I hope Apple doesn't think ARD takes the place of a good directory services (network management, deploying software, etc).
They don't. That's what this (http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/) is for.

Riot_Mac
Apr 11, 2006, 11:50 AM
So long as it's faster than before. Managing computers in one building was fine, anything across town or across the country was ridiculously slow. :rolleyes:

I agree, but I thought that was just because it was going over a T1?

sam10685
Apr 11, 2006, 12:04 PM

Bastards.....

they took it down for one hour. i want a macbook too but dude... calm down.

sam10685
Apr 11, 2006, 12:09 PM
Maybe there was something else going on that we haven't found out about yet?

most likely.

billyboy
Apr 11, 2006, 12:09 PM
Can't wait to get my hands on this puppy.

What is funny is that last night I was at http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop and thought to myself "when are they going to update this" then I wake up this morning and found out it was updated.

This is going to make my life a lot easier.
Can you please have a similar thought about $500 MacBook Pros tonight!!

milo
Apr 11, 2006, 12:24 PM
My whole complaint is about them taking the whole store down on a TUESDAY morning when everyone is waiting for big news of a MacBook or iPod Video. they could have done this update at 3am this morning.... not the usual 8:30am on a Tuesday when that is when they brinf out the big guns.

Everyone? There was no event planned for today. Nobody was expecting any big news today except for delusional fanboys. When it's time for new ibooks, we'll all know.

xPismo
Apr 11, 2006, 12:26 PM
This is the fancy version. You can use VNC if you want a basic, free, solution.

But wouldn't a single user / home use version from Apple sell? I know I'd grab it.

You do know that all 10.4 comes with ARD 2.2 client...even on Intel...You can use Chicken of the VNC...to then control the client... -Compufix

Oh, I did not know that. I guess I've already got a solution sitting right on my mac. Sweet. Time to get my Cube home server up and running (once, like, I find a cheap one). :)

macgeek2005
Apr 11, 2006, 12:41 PM
*siigggghhhhhh* thank you Mr. Jobs.... I was REALLY looking forward to that release..................................those macbooks are never gonna come.

200paul
Apr 11, 2006, 12:56 PM
I just talked to my Apple Business Rep for all those who were curious if it was gonna happen or not and he says not.

Doctor Q
Apr 11, 2006, 01:11 PM
I just talked to my Apple Business Rep for all those who were curious if it was gonna happen or not and he says not.Which is a bit ironic for a product that is advertised with the wordsFirst-class upgrades

Installing software or updates to your network has never been this easy.Our school had so much trouble with previous versions of ARD, with performance slowing to a crawl while screen-sharing, that we had to abandon using it. Now I'm wary to try throw good money after bad and buy a new version that might have the same problems.

Since we were never able to diagnose it (screen-sharing would simply cut off after a few seconds to a minute) and the new version's description doesn't address that issue, there's no easy way to tell if they fixed whatever was plaguing us.

dwd3885
Apr 11, 2006, 01:28 PM
$499, kinda expensive for something windows has for free

ipacmm
Apr 11, 2006, 01:29 PM
Well it is nice to see some updated software from apple, I will go down to the store this week to play with it and maybe upgrade...

quigleybc
Apr 11, 2006, 01:59 PM

Isn't iTunes Brushed as well ??

El Carbonite
Apr 11, 2006, 02:01 PM
I myself, use Timbuktu Pro from Netopia, it's excellent, but I don't know if ARD 3 is faster.

Kormet
Apr 11, 2006, 02:15 PM
This is great! Seems like it's been forever since Apple has updated/changed Remote Desktop. Though, I guess they have had a lot on their plate recently.:)

Unfortunately, Apple dropped support for OS 9 with ARD version 2, so I've been stuck with version 1.2. Very few of the Macs I administer run anything but OS 9.2.2, so version ARD 3 won't benefit me much. If only Apple supported OS 9. :(

Still, keep up the good work Apple!

R.Youden
Apr 11, 2006, 02:40 PM
Has anyone watched the videos that are on the Apple web page? On the 'easy setup' tutorial under system preferences there is the icon for a logitech mouse!

If this has been made in-house by Apple (which I am sure it has been) isnt this a bit of egg on face for the mighty mouse development team?

Compufix
Apr 11, 2006, 02:41 PM

VNC is built into the OS with ARD 2.2 client, you can assign a password and use a VNC client to control the Mac....

ARD 3.0 has MANY features way above and beyond what RDC offers...there really is no comparison....

-Compufix

weazle1098
Apr 11, 2006, 02:47 PM

What's wrong with the brushed metal look it gived it a nice neutral feel, but at the same time makes it look pretty cool.

ManchesterTrix
Apr 11, 2006, 02:52 PM
This is great! Seems like it's been forever since Apple has updated/changed Remote Desktop. Though, I guess they have had a lot on their plate recently.:)

Unfortunately, Apple dropped support for OS 9 with ARD version 2, so I've been stuck with version 1.2. Very few of the Macs I administer run anything but OS 9.2.2, so version ARD 3 won't benefit me much. If only Apple supported OS 9. :(

Still, keep up the good work Apple!

Why not use a an OS 9 machine to administer with and use Network Assistant? It's far more robust than ARD in regards to administering OS9 machines.

Apr 11, 2006, 02:57 PM
One thing is certain...there is NO other solution in the market, either for Macs or PCs, that matches ARD's elegance and simplicity...this update looks spectacular, and makes me want one even if I have no other machines to manage in my iMac/iBook world...Apple has outdone itself, again.

encro
Apr 11, 2006, 03:16 PM
Has anyone watched the videos that are on the Apple web page? On the 'easy setup' tutorial under system preferences there is the icon for a logitech mouse!

If this has been made in-house by Apple (which I am sure it has been) isnt this a bit of egg on face for the mighty mouse development team?

Not at all, people prefer different mouses. Personally I hate the mighty mouse and also use a logitech (well Microsoft branded) mouse.

Mechcozmo
Apr 11, 2006, 03:17 PM
Dang.
Our company just purchased RD2 a few weeks ago.
I don't suppose there is any discounted upgrade pricing?

lazyrighteye

Depends... I think it is within 14 days, that if Apple comes out with something newer you get upgraded. Call up a store and ask, that's the only way.

You do know that ARD is just a bunch of extensions and modifications to the VNC protocol, which is how ARD can offer VNC access? VNC requires a bit more work to set up sometimes, with all the compression techniques, but it is hard to say that VNC sucks outright when ARD is based on it, which you're holding up so high.

MacVault
Apr 11, 2006, 03:35 PM
You do know that ARD is just a bunch of extensions and modifications to the VNC protocol, which is how ARD can offer VNC access? VNC requires a bit more work to set up sometimes, with all the compression techniques, but it is hard to say that VNC sucks outright when ARD is based on it, which you're holding up so high.

Oh.. I did not know it was based on VNC. All I know about VNC is the screen refresh, etc sucks compared to RDC, dameware, etc -- from my experience anyway. Has Apple tweaked the VNC in ARD to perform better?

jsw
Apr 11, 2006, 03:39 PM
As mentioned above, OS X supplies a VNC server for free. It just needs to be turned on, and VNC clients work fine with it. I admin my parents' Mac using CotVNC over the internet, and it works great. A bit slow due to their upload speeds, but fine. And free. Windows XP (Pro only, mind you, which costs a lot more than OS X) supplies essentially the same VNC-type capabilities, but they're slightly harder to set up.

ARD is vastly more sophisticated. For one thing, it allows many systems to be viewed at once. For another, it provides actual management capabilities beyond simply looking at desktops. I write software professionally to manage network firewalls, and I think ARD has an excellent UI and feature set, better than most or all other similar apps out there. At $499/unlimited, it's a steal. At $299/10, it's still a bargain.

If you only have a few Macs (or, really, any systems), just use VNC. It works fine. ARD is a much more sophisticated app targeted, as mentioned by others, at schools and corps. The average user has no need for it whatsoever.

This is not the type of app you just bundle in with the OS. 99% of all users would never have any use whatsoever for it. This is a specific, targeted app which is exactly the type of thing you'd sell separately.

EricNau
Apr 11, 2006, 04:35 PM
How do I set up VNC built into Mac OS X?

I know how to turn it on in Sharing prefs, but after that what do I do? Do I have to download a 3rd party app?

Doctor Q
Apr 11, 2006, 05:02 PM
You can get started with the information in the MacRumors Remotely Controlling another Mac guide.

EricNau
Apr 11, 2006, 05:16 PM
You can get started with the information in the MacRumors Remotely Controlling another Mac guide.
Thanks. :) I always forget to check the guides. :o I'll start remembering one of these days.

arkmannj
Apr 11, 2006, 05:59 PM
This sounds very useful.
I just wish they could have a feature kinda like in MSN messenger for XP where someone could request help.
(and both parties be behind firewalls/NAT/etc.)
I think it would be cool if they could integrate it like the video/audio chat in iChat.

Example: When you are chatting with someone who has RD Admin tools installed a little button would appear that you could simply click to ask for help.
Even though I don't own a business, or manage LOTS of macs this would be very valuable to me to help with family and friends. I'd plop down $500 to be able to have my 80 year old grandpa (2000 miles away) be able to click one button and boom I can help him.
I know there's reverse VNC options and the like, but this way would just be much user friendly and very easy for family, friends, users and even in a business setting.

If RD3 does that, I'd be friggin' excited.
That aside I can still see why lots of admins would be excited about many of the new features.

sam10685
Apr 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
i want a remote desktop. right now my desktop is pretty broad.

Doctor Q
Apr 11, 2006, 06:09 PM
I just wish they could have a feature kinda like in MSN messenger for XP where someone could request help...From www.apple.com/remotedesktop/remoteassistance.html (http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/remoteassistance.html):Apple Remote Desktop 3 gives you screen-sharing and text-messaging capabilities, plus a wide range of powerful remote assistance tools.

Apple Remote Desktop 3 also lets you send test messages to an individual or to all your clients. So those “mandatory upgrade” announcements will always be seen. And if your clients ever need your attention, they can do the same. For more detailed messages, initiate a private real-time, one-to-one text chat. You can be sure your clients will always get your message.By the way, I think they meant "text messages", not "test messages". :)

jsw
Apr 11, 2006, 06:18 PM
By the way, I think they meant "text messages", not "test messages". :)
Oh, well, you know it's used in a lot of schools, so maybe they really did mean test messages - you know, maybe multiple choice or whatever. Answer correctly, or lose an iLife app.

FWIW, I liked this:
You can be sure your clients will always get your message.
If only that were ever possible. ;)

chibianh
Apr 11, 2006, 06:36 PM
is there anything like this in the windows world? (no, not vnc, but something with features like ARD)

guzhogi
Apr 11, 2006, 06:55 PM
I'm the computer help desk techie for an elementary school and I use RD to take an inventory of what computers the school has. It's still a bit too Big Brotherish for me, but it's better than going room to room interrupting teachers.

hansluc
Apr 11, 2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks be to God! I've just inherited admin of a large Mac network and this will be a massive help!

As a new admin of a large Mac network, you want to look at Casper. It fills the admin gaps that ARD 3 doesn't cover (modular imaging, postfix, etc.). We use it at our company and it is blazing fast and works well as ARD's Big Brother.

Stella
Apr 11, 2006, 07:46 PM
ARD is slow as buggery. Apple should implement their own instead of relying on VNC.. Microsoft remote desktop is such a pleasure to use, in comparison. MRD is quite usable, unlike ARD.

Peel
Apr 11, 2006, 07:50 PM

OK yvovandoorn, your job for tonight is to think to yourself "when are they going to update the ibook?" :D

EricNau
Apr 11, 2006, 07:50 PM
I read that, but it still seem like I have to download a 3rd party app, but people keep saying it's built into OS X, which is it? :confused:

...or is there something that I'm not understanding? :o

magi.sys
Apr 11, 2006, 08:37 PM
I can't believe they don't have an upgrade pricing for this.
Well, looks like 2.2 is the last version my company is going to be purchasing.

Compufix
Apr 11, 2006, 08:51 PM
How do I set up VNC built into Mac OS X?

I know how to turn it on in Sharing prefs, but after that what do I do? Do I have to download a 3rd party app?

Just go to www.versiontracker.com and look for "Chicken of the VNC"

When you launch it, connect to the IP number or DNS name of your client. Supply the password and you should be set.

-Compufix

Compufix
Apr 11, 2006, 08:52 PM
is there anything like this in the windows world? (no, not vnc, but something with features like ARD)

Altiris, SMS just to name 2.

Les Kern
Apr 11, 2006, 09:12 PM
why is it so expensive?

It's all relative. In my world it's a STEAL. ARD is one of the kingpins for me. Without it, it would be much harder to support the number of machines we have.

Compufix
Apr 11, 2006, 09:13 PM
As a new admin of a large Mac network, you want to look at Casper. It fills the admin gaps that ARD 3 doesn't cover (modular imaging, postfix, etc.). We use it at our company and it is blazing fast and works well as ARD's Big Brother.

Casper is nice....I used the previous product for OS9 imaging (MakeThatMac) however, all the UNIX tools and everything else that ARD has to offer is anything BUT big brother.

The screen sharing (in a lab environment) allows teachers to view students working, share their screens with others for presentations, and allows teachers to keep tabs on what students are working on.

Tech departments use it for remote help desk, and you CAN set it to allow users to know they are being watched if you are afraid of that.

In a corportate environment, Big Brother is one thing. In k-12...it is entirely different.

Also, CASPER works on using Disk images, kind of like how radmind uses loadsets....CASPER uses disk images of software to lay on top of each other....great...and it works...however...

The APPLE package format can be used in many more ways....from UNIX commands (mount a share, use the terminal installer command to install a package) run as ROOT from ARD to avoid authentication etc. You can use the INSTALL PACKAGE option from ARD, you can hand install the package if needed, and you can use the package as part of the imaging process using Apple's own Netinstall, or a utility like NetRestore. the Package format is just more flexible.

I maintain a large network as well. You are correct on one instance...I wish WISH that ARD contained a feature to scan machines and create packages....the only thing missing from the magic solution. Casper allows you to do that. Filewave and NetOctopuss supposedly allow you to do that...but they do not use the Apple Package format (or so I last heard)PACKAGEMAKER supposedly has a new snapshot mode you can use...although I haven't had the time to try it yet.

ARD also allows you to set up a TASK SERVER to have all your clients report to with ASSET information as well as have clients run unix commands and install packages when they come online. This brings it up to par with the RECON feature of Casper and then some.

I am not knocking CASPER...I think it is great if it fits your needs...but ARD is just a better solution for what it was designed to do.

ARD, NetRestore and Radmind make a pretty powerful combination, with only ARD having a cost involved.

Apple does need to have a better pricing model. We have purchased many copies of this program twice over so far, and now looking at a third....that is crazy. There should be a modest upgrade fee.

-Compufix

WildPalms
Apr 11, 2006, 10:56 PM

Yes, Microsoft's SMS product is the equivalent to ARD.

..and for all those raving about XP's Remote Desktop speed...keep in mind that elements of it are contained in the kernel.

Choppaface
Apr 12, 2006, 12:44 AM
free simplified version ala Windows Remote Desktop please

Compufix
Apr 12, 2006, 02:12 AM
free simplified version ala Windows Remote Desktop please

Once again...you already have it...called VNC....just go into the sharing preferences and assign a VNC password, turn on the remote desktop sharing pref and download a VNC client (wither Windows or Mac) to connect....

Free, and I do it all the time to connect to my servers and desktop from my Windows Laptop....I also use RDC from my OSX Desktop to connect to my windows servers.....best of both....

-Compufix

Compufix
Apr 12, 2006, 02:13 AM
I read that, but it still seem like I have to download a 3rd party app, but people keep saying it's built into OS X, which is it? :confused:

...or is there something that I'm not understanding? :o

The SERVER is built into each client...you only need to turn it on.

You need to download a viewer, for your admin station....to view the clients...

-Compufix

Macnoviz
Apr 12, 2006, 03:15 AM

I bought XP pro yesterday (don't ask me why), and it cost me €449 - €129 (Mac OS X)= €320 (all prices here in Belgium) so in fact, you pay more for less, which is probably the unofficial Microsoft creed (what's the real one, actually?)

bigandy
Apr 12, 2006, 05:10 AM
ARD is slow as buggery. Apple should implement their own instead of relying on VNC.. Microsoft remote desktop is such a pleasure to use, in comparison. MRD is quite usable, unlike ARD.

well i'm just using it RIGHT NOW and it's fast - and i'm controlling using a 2mb adsl line. when i'm on my lan at Uni, it's even better.. you can't beat gigabit for this :D

hansluc
Apr 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
Casper is nice....I used the previous product for OS9 imaging (MakeThatMac) however, all the UNIX tools and everything else that ARD has to offer is anything BUT big brother.

When I said that Casper was Big Brother, I didn't mean it in the 1984 sense, more like the older brother that is smarter and wiser and more experienced. Also, Casper uses (can create and deploy) Apple's .pkg format as well as its own editable .package format, which when taken in sum with all the other features of Casper (inventory, imaging, managed deployment, true postfix, VNC), makes ARD a very nice adjunct. I am biased of course because I use Casper, but it is bias based on experience. Once network admins use a product built for the task like Casper (and there are others of course), they usually don't want to go back.

arkmannj
Apr 12, 2006, 11:16 AM
From Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmannj
I just wish they could have a feature kinda like in MSN messenger for XP where someone could request help...

From www.apple.com/remotedesktop/remoteassistance.html:
Quote:
Apple Remote Desktop 3 gives you screen-sharing and text-messaging capabilities, plus a wide range of powerful remote assistance tools.

Apple Remote Desktop 3 also lets you send test messages to an individual or to all your clients. So those “mandatory upgrade” announcements will always be seen. And if your clients ever need your attention, they can do the same. For more detailed messages, initiate a private real-time, one-to-one text chat. You can be sure your clients will always get your message.

By the way, I think they meant "text messages", not "test messages".

Thanks Dr. Q.

Does it also work through NAT on both sides ? (please please say yes...)
Most of my family etc. are with ISP's that give them Private IP's and not public ones.
I do have a public one but it's dynamic and even within my own home I switch computers all the time so it would be nice not to need to monkey with port forwarding etc. all the time.

Thanks again
~Arkmannj

markpalmer
Apr 12, 2006, 11:57 AM
I started using ARD 2.2 about 3 weeks ago and I love it. So I was keen to get hold of the latest version, however after visiting the UK Apple store and talking to customer services I find not only is there not a free or min cost upgrade for recent purchases, but there isn't an upgrade path of any kind.

I think someone at Apple has forgotten something.

Mark

Doctor Q
Apr 12, 2006, 12:30 PM
Does it also work through NAT on both sides ? (please please say yes...)I'm sorry, but I don't know. I would expect that it could be made to work, as long as the router or firewall can be set to route that traffic to the right Mac. Perhaps somebody with experience with ARD will post the answer, but you could also call 1-800-MY-APPLE and ask them directly.

Compufix
Apr 12, 2006, 06:21 PM
When I said that Casper was Big Brother, I didn't mean it in the 1984 sense, more like the older brother that is smarter and wiser and more experienced. Also, Casper uses (can create and deploy) Apple's .pkg format as well as its own editable .package format, which when taken in sum with all the other features of Casper (inventory, imaging, managed deployment, true postfix, VNC), makes ARD a very nice adjunct. I am biased of course because I use Casper, but it is bias based on experience. Once network admins use a product built for the task like Casper (and there are others of course), they usually don't want to go back.

Well that is good to know, glad they finally added .pkg support, time to take another look at it, but I still have a very nice NetRestore system..and as you say...I am biased since it is what I use and like...that is the beauty of technology...always more than one way to get the job done 8-)...

-Compufix

yvovandoorn
Apr 12, 2006, 08:03 PM
OK yvovandoorn, your job for tonight is to think to yourself "when are they going to update the ibook?" :D

See... now you ruined the moment. It has to be intuition and spur of the moment to get it to work :-)

BWhaler
Apr 15, 2006, 07:24 AM
I used the new version for a few hours tonight.

It's well, well worth the upgrade price.

The new functionality is fantastic, and one thing that I have not read about in the announcement, is v3 is much, much faster at everything. Much faster.

All in all, a great upgrade.