PDA

View Full Version : Good old skool RPG

Togglehead
Apr 11, 2006, 01:22 PM
Anyone know of any rockin old RPG's for Mac?

I liked Chrono Trigger
The Secret of Mana
Mystic Quest
Soul Blazer
Zelda's
FF7
...things like this
menu fighting prefered

Any suggestions?

Patmian212
Apr 11, 2006, 02:46 PM
Fallout I and Fallout II

Kernow
Apr 11, 2006, 02:52 PM
Try the Avernum games from Spiderweb Software (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/). These are properly old school, with the graphics to prove it, but the games are huge and totally immersive. 1 and 2 are the best, but they run on Classic only. 3 & 4 are OSX.

Agurri
Apr 12, 2006, 06:16 AM
FF3 on the SNES was one of the best RPG I have eer played... so much fun.

kaltsasa
Apr 12, 2006, 08:28 AM
All of the Avernum games are OS X native as well as all of the Geneforge games. No need to worry about running them in Classic. Great games all around, truely old skoool.

Kernow
Apr 12, 2006, 08:34 AM
All of the Avernum games are OS X native as well as all of the Geneforge games. No need to worry about running them in Classic. Great games all around, truely old skoool.

You're absolutely right - thank you, I had missed the patches from Classic to OSX. Gives me no excuse not to play them even more now :)

darkwing
Apr 12, 2006, 09:03 AM
Anyone know of any rockin old RPG's for Mac?

I liked Chrono Trigger
The Secret of Mana
Mystic Quest
Soul Blazer
Zelda's
FF7
...things like this
menu fighting prefered

Any suggestions?

Get snes9x (proud to say I contributed to the mac version) for OSX and find various RPGs for the SNES. IMHO, the best rpgs ever made were on SNES. Square hasn't even made a good game since Chrono Trigger. They totally suck now.

I suggest you find Tales of Phantasia. There's a patch to make it English. Same with Dragon Quest 6, and don't forget the US versions of Final Fantasy 4 and 6 (called ff2 and ff3)

Maxx Power
Apr 12, 2006, 11:03 AM
Fallout I and Fallout II

Boo Yeah! And Arcanum, if you like that style of games.
System Shock 1 and 2 are both very good too, they are First Person style RPG's.
Deus Ex is also First Person/RPG that has a lot of RPG elements (character and development).

Peyton
Apr 12, 2006, 11:13 AM
You want OLLLLD school?

Kings Quest and Quest for Glory (both Sierra) awesome games (the later ones were much more fun).

You'll have to get an emulator but just search these threads, they've posted them before.

Palad1
Apr 12, 2006, 12:50 PM
pool of radiance / curse of the azure bonds / secret of the silver blades / pools of darkness...

just grab them on home of the underdogs, either the mac pc (runs nicely in DosBox) or Apple ][ if you really are a zealot ;)

These games are great.

And why not give nethack a try?

Sharewaredemon
Apr 12, 2006, 02:42 PM
The Avernum games are soooo great.

Well, actually, I only played 4.

Cause you see I'm old school Spiderweb, I played the original Exile Trilogy.

In fact, my Avatar comes from the second exile, before Jeff made the graphics good.

Togglehead
Apr 13, 2006, 11:13 AM
this is all awesome guys thanks.....ill have to find an emu and controller pad....i just setup my PC with this and got sucked into some SNES RPGs again.....like listed above.....yes SNES DID make the best RPGs

i look into these other things too...i played all of the FF series (even the imports), seen 8 Chrono Trigger endings.....blah blah....love em, but i want a new OLD game.....lif thats not too crazy

GFLPraxis
Apr 13, 2006, 11:29 AM
Get snes9x (proud to say I contributed to the mac version) for OSX and find various RPGs for the SNES. IMHO, the best rpgs ever made were on SNES. Square hasn't even made a good game since Chrono Trigger. They totally suck now.

I suggest you find Tales of Phantasia. There's a patch to make it English. Same with Dragon Quest 6, and don't forget the US versions of Final Fantasy 4 and 6 (called ff2 and ff3)

Come on, don't promote piracy...

Counterfit
Apr 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
You want OLLLLD school?

Kings Quest and Quest for Glory (both Sierra) awesome games (the later ones were much more fun).

You'll have to get an emulator but just search these threads, they've posted them before.
Wow, you just brought back memories of playing Kings Quest 3-5 on my uncles old DOS machine. Mmm, ISA slots...

quigleybc
Apr 13, 2006, 03:03 PM
I asked this same question a while back.

And people suggested fallout 1 and 2.

I tried them, and was dissapointed.

I want that Final Fantasy type game. Turn based, build a party, advance with experience ect.

Doesn't seem to exist.

mandoman
Apr 13, 2006, 03:17 PM
Real old school would be the Wizardry and Ultima series for the original Apple II. Emulators available. I was an especially big fan of the Ultima Series, but only made it 3/4 of the way through Ultima 4, but finished I-III.

I've been meaning to check out the Ultima V lazurus remake. Essentially Ultima V rewritten using the Dungeon Siege engine. Old school rpg meets new school game engine = SWEETNESS

Check it out: http://www.u5lazarus.com/

NewbieNerd
Apr 13, 2006, 08:06 PM
Come on, don't promote piracy...

Yeah, good point. Still there are games that were never released in the US that have been translated and are good. Check out Final Fantasy 5 for instance, which came between the US FF2 and US FF3. It has a cool job system for the characters where you are able to train as different things such as Knight, Black/White/Red/Blue Mage, Dragoon, Samarai, etc. and switch between jobs as much as you like. Very cool. Super long game though. I never finished it.

Cool thing about the new Nintendo Revolution is that it will have the ability to download these old SNES classics for a small price for those of use who (a) don't want to pirate yet (b) don't want to fight with trying to find and buy these old games.

turbopants
Apr 13, 2006, 11:46 PM
Phantasy Star I & II. Both great games. I actually like the first one better.

wrldwzrd89
Apr 14, 2006, 04:57 AM
I play mostly web-based RPGs these days when I want my RPG fix, although that doesn't mean I don't play some of the classic console RPGs (like Dragon Warrior and Phantasy Star) from time to time ;)

The two I play the most are Kingdom of Loathing (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/) and Legend of the Green Dragon (http://logd.shellwerx.net/home.php?) (this game has multiple servers, the one I linked to is the server I play on).

Sharewaredemon
Apr 14, 2006, 07:33 AM
I asked this same question a while back.

And people suggested fallout 1 and 2.

I tried them, and was dissapointed.

I want that Final Fantasy type game. Turn based, build a party, advance with experience ect.

Doesn't seem to exist.

The Avernum games are entirely turn based, and fit into the build a part, advance with experience model you like.

I love those games you should check them out.

www.spidweb.com

Palad1
Apr 14, 2006, 08:14 AM
The Avernum games are entirely turn based, and fit into the build a part, advance with experience model you like.

I love those games you should check them out.

www.spidweb.com
same goes for the ones I talked about (minus nethack). Ah, long gone are the days where you could thoroughly plan your party's battle plan and carry it out step by step :(

slackersonly
Apr 14, 2006, 11:11 AM
dont forget the original oregaon trail or maybe even bards tale.