PDA

View Full Version : XP Legal Question

xJus10x
Apr 11, 2006, 03:15 PM
If I go out and buy XP home then could I put it on my upcoming iMac and my brothers intel mac mini legally? If i use the same serial code for both would I get in trouble?

greatdevourer
Apr 11, 2006, 03:18 PM
Technically, you're breaching piracy laws, but I'm not sure anyone really gives a sh**

xJus10x
Apr 11, 2006, 03:19 PM
Alright I was just checking, I didn't know if I could use the same serial code on two computers =/

j26
Apr 11, 2006, 03:19 PM
Firstly, yes it is illegal - but since there are so many cracked copies of Windows about I can't see it being a major problem.

Secondly, I'm not sure but do you not need XP Pro?

igucl
Apr 11, 2006, 03:21 PM
What about the registration of XP? Doesn't it tie your copy to the hardware it's installed on?

SilentPanda
Apr 11, 2006, 03:22 PM
It is indeed not legal to do. In order to use Windows past 30 days you will have to authorize your machine. This will send your CD-Key and some hardware configuration information to Microsoft. If you end up moving the license around you'll be unable to use XP anymore until you call up Microsoft. I had to do it once... stupid removable drive bays.

greatdevourer
Apr 11, 2006, 03:31 PM
However, there are so many ways of getting round this (iirc, one of them is just to set a value in the registry to 1 rather than 0), that it's trivial. There are even pre-reg'd/activated copies floating around on the web

xJus10x
Apr 11, 2006, 03:48 PM
Firstly, yes it is illegal - but since there are so many cracked copies of Windows about I can't see it being a major problem.

Secondly, I'm not sure but do you not need XP Pro?

I'm just going to install for games, so I dont think I really need XP Pro. And could anybody give me a guide to change the registry or whatever, I'm a windoze n00b =(

sjshaw
Apr 11, 2006, 03:50 PM
FWIW, there is a vast difference between "illegal" activity and "violating a license agreement." One is a criminal matter, the other a civil matter.

xJus10x
Apr 11, 2006, 03:53 PM
Alright so just to summon this up, I can do it, but I'll have to call Microsoft and tell them some excuse?

sjshaw
Apr 11, 2006, 03:56 PM
Alright so just to summon this up, I can do it, but I'll have to call Microsoft and tell them some excuse?

I'm not sure the moderators are anxious to have this type of discussion on their boards.

DougTheImpaler
Apr 11, 2006, 03:58 PM
WPA will just cause you to have to call Microsoft and go through teh rigamarole...you can lie and tell them you haven't installed it on other systems and that you're just reinstalling, but it's certainly not leagal.

greatdevourer
Apr 11, 2006, 04:04 PM
FWIW, there is a vast difference between "illegal" activity and "violating a license agreement." One is a criminal matter, the other a civil matter. True, but this is illegal ;)

xJus10x
Apr 11, 2006, 04:04 PM
WPA will just cause you to have to call Microsoft and go through teh rigamarole...you can lie and tell them you haven't installed it on other systems and that you're just reinstalling, but it's certainly not leagal.

I would never do that hehe :D
(good idea...)

bousozoku
Apr 11, 2006, 04:44 PM
Please don't discuss ways to pirate software.

The question about whether it's illegal to install Windows XP on two machines has been answered.