View Full Version : Catalog Printing Price Quote Questions
Apr 11, 2006, 09:17 PM
What kind of things do i need to ask when trying to get a quote for printing a Cabela's type of catalog?
I am looking to print a 436 page/signature catalog, with Cabela style paper, and 4 color.
Apr 12, 2006, 02:48 AM
Having never seen a Cabela catalogue (but did a quick Google check) all I can say is this...
It's just another print job. So all you have to do is spec it correctly and see what printers come up with.
• Stock (paper) Usually, the cover will be of a heavier stock than the pages. Usually expressed in terms of finish, brightness etc. (matt, silk, etc and weight/thickness i.e. gsm or microns. Wise to get samples. Specify whether the cover is 4/4 i.e. CMYK inside and out or 4/1 etc. and what the text pages are...
• Extent & format (no. of pages including cover and at what trimmed final size) If any pages or leaves have perforations, throw-outs or are of a different stock, specify this here.
• Inks (CMYK, spots etc.)
• File type delivered or required... PDF, Quark, InDesign etc. and version. Find out if a particular printer needs specific bleed, slug, colour (profile) settings.
• Clear agreement on any printer-side amends if necessary
• Proofs (what kind of proofs? Laser, chromalin, wet proofs etc.)
• Quantity + run-on (print run)
• Time scale (artwork delivery, proofing and delivery (part or whole) of finished product
• Finishing (laminates or other coats, binding, folding, trimming etc.)
• Collation (any loose inserts etc.)
• Delivery (2/3 way split (i.e. different addresses?), storage?, specific quantities in a box etc.)
Hope that's of some help.
Apr 12, 2006, 02:55 AM
^^ and if 90% of the above is Greek to you, then hire a graphic professional to help you spec the job and quote it out. Mistakes on jobs of this magnitude run in the $10,000s of dollars, so it pays to get it right the first time.
Apr 16, 2006, 12:51 PM
Heys guys, thanks for the help. I sent out the Request for Quote out with many questions ranging from what the cost would be for various things, such as, variable data printing [address being printed on the covers], page stock [page weight], required bleeds, perfect binding, and colors used [including spots for company logos], and many other things.
I had my Art Director at work give me some more ideas as to what i might be missing, but he stated it looked like i mentioned everything that i needed to.
Thanks again, Ryan