PDA

View Full Version : Apple MacBook Coming in Colors?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Apr 11, 2006, 10:42 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider revives (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1667) a rumor that Apple may reintroduce colors into the upcoming Intel iBooks (MacBooks).

Apple introduced colors to the Mac platform in the Bondi Blue iMac in 1998. This was followed by a number of different colored iMacs and patterns. Later, Apple settled back on the current glossy-white enclosure of the current iMac and current iBook.

Given the recent success of the black-iPods, Apple is reportedly considering introducing other colors into the upcoming MacBook notebooks.

According to the rumor site, Apple has been especially secretive about the potential colors that they are testing for the upcoming notebook, but there are suggestions that there will be at least two colored MacBook models. Instead of semi-translucent colors, they are reported to be solid-shade colors.

An earlier unverified report (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/12/20051218234838.shtml) had claimed that Apple was going to be introducing light-weight notebooks with a "stylish design" aimed at targeting female customers.

QCassidy352
Apr 11, 2006, 10:44 PM
I've got some colors for ya...
black
white
silver
That'll do nicely! :p

chazmox
Apr 11, 2006, 10:46 PM
Translucent black ( but not the variety that scratches! ) would be nice!

mlrproducts
Apr 11, 2006, 10:46 PM
I want a MBP in colors!

I think it would definately be a great selling point for a consumer laptop!

dbhays
Apr 11, 2006, 10:48 PM
Blue dalmation here I come!:D

Seriously, about time.

MacGuy88
Apr 11, 2006, 10:48 PM
This isnt the 90s anymore.

well.. i guess as long as it isnt like the flower eMac... dear God... PLEASE!!! haha

Danksi
Apr 11, 2006, 10:50 PM
Translucent black ( but not the variety that scratches! ) would be nice!

Translucent white, on a black background... or would that make grey? :p

grapes911
Apr 11, 2006, 10:51 PM
Seriously, about time.

About time? We've been there, we've done that, I even got the t-shirt. We've moved on, let's not go back to ugly colors. I can handle white and black like the iPods, but please, nothing else.

Calvinatir
Apr 11, 2006, 10:51 PM
no [edit] rainbow colors please...

bursty
Apr 11, 2006, 10:52 PM
No colors pleeeeease

Just silver, white, and possibly glossy black (if they can figure out the damn scratch problem)

Maybe a flat black would be cool. :confused:

200paul
Apr 11, 2006, 10:52 PM
I don't really care what color they come in - just get them out! I'd buy a pink one if I had to just to get the power that the PC machines are getting out of their portables.

And not with the bugs that the damn Pros had. My month of dealing with that MBP was a nightmare.

aussie_geek
Apr 11, 2006, 10:53 PM
nope - bad idea. i doubt this will come to fruition anyway. Apple stopped making coloured items after axing the ipod mini.

aussie_geek

EricNau
Apr 11, 2006, 10:53 PM
Kinda like the Sonys? (which is kinda like Apple) :p
44990 44991

shidoshi
Apr 11, 2006, 10:54 PM
Pink! There should be pink one.

And yes, I'm a guy. [edit]. Pink is the new black for technology.

skyhawkrider
Apr 11, 2006, 10:55 PM
Eh... I don't know. The iPod mini came in colors, but Apple nixed those as well... and I don't think Apple would use black, given the PowerBook was black for 10 years.

I guess it's not impossible, but it's very unlikely, IMO.

macgeek2005
Apr 11, 2006, 10:57 PM
Very nice. I would buy a colored MacBook, JUST GET THEM OUT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!

chepistolas
Apr 11, 2006, 10:57 PM
I want a black macbook and a silver macbook pro 17" with dual-core woodcrest chip. Then I will be happy :)

sintaxi
Apr 11, 2006, 10:59 PM
no interested in colors. The only thing I like about apple offering colors is that it will make the neutral (black, white, grey) notebooks look great.

Calvinatir
Very nice. I would buy a colored MacBook, JUST GET THEM OUT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!

a 'colored' notebook eh? Talk about being PC...

haha ;)

Legacy
Black and White methinks, by the very least, to mirror the iPod Nano range:D ..in which case I am going black this time..and it better be the shiny iPod Black!

iHotu
Apr 11, 2006, 11:00 PM
t

BillyShears
Apr 11, 2006, 11:00 PM

And yes, I'm a guy.[edit]. Pink is the new black for technology.

Pink is only the new black with regards to frat boys with popped collars, brah.

livingfortoday
Apr 11, 2006, 11:01 PM
Bah, I like the white iBook. The only color I'd want otherwise would be some sort of silver... possibly an aluminum-like color. Now, if Apple would make a laptop like that! I'd be all over it!

Or maybe not something solid-colored, but with a design or texture to it.

Buschmaster
Apr 11, 2006, 11:05 PM
Apple is white.

:confused:

Staffroomer
Apr 11, 2006, 11:08 PM
I've often wondered if they'd reuse old marketing campaigns. Why not? It worked the first time... Sort of...

Orlando Furioso
Apr 11, 2006, 11:09 PM

ugh... so last year. But I could go for a pink macbook.

TheLAD
Apr 11, 2006, 11:10 PM
If they were to revive the colours, it would have to be similar to how you can snap on a new cover on a mobile phone. (Maybe small screws, or better yet, magnets!)

This way you can have any cover you want and 3rd party companies would produce covers and custom covers.
:D

arn
Apr 11, 2006, 11:12 PM
deleted a bunch of messages which were taking this thread way off topic.

if you want to discuss other things, go post in community forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20).

arn

Dark Horse
Apr 11, 2006, 11:14 PM
I'd love to see MacBooks in colors. I'd get black, but variety is always good.

But I don't want my new MacBook to be 'targetted at women'. That's not cool.

WeBleed4Real
Apr 11, 2006, 11:15 PM
How about a nice crimson blood red MacBook?

KindredMAC
Apr 11, 2006, 11:16 PM
If they were to revive the colours, it would have to be similar to how you can snap on a new cover on a mobile phone. (Maybe small screws, or better yet, magnets!)

This way you can have any cover you want and 3rd party companies would produce covers and custom covers.
Then you would have the same problem the XBOX 360 has been having, we would have tons and tons of WOOD GRAIN or TRIBAL covers sitting on shelves and it would make our product look chinsy to the non Mac user who then would have this horrible image in their heads that we have crappy looking products because all they have seen are the no sellers for covers...

arn
Apr 11, 2006, 11:16 PM
I think they would keep a neutral color such as white for those with simpler tastes. :)

arn

KindredMAC
Apr 11, 2006, 11:18 PM
[edit: still off topic! post these questions elsewhere (http://forums.macrumors.com/) or in private - arn]

JGowan
Apr 11, 2006, 11:18 PM
I must admit, Sony's two-tone laptops look pretty nice. Of course, if Apple goes with the 2-tone look, they'll have to endure being called copy cats.

Spock
Apr 11, 2006, 11:19 PM

Cleverly placed LED's and Fiber Optics installed under the case to change the color at wil That would be cool.

MegaSignal
But I'd like to see some "automated" varieties - such as -

Something similar to the gradually changing desktop background that was available since the early versions of Panther (or Jaguar...I forget when this came to be) - only this time, the entire computer would gradually change colors...

livingfortoday
Then you would have the same problem the XBOX 360 has been having, we would have tons and tons of WOOD GRAIN or TRIBAL covers sitting on shelves and it would make our product look chinsy to the non Mac user who then would have this horrible image in their heads that we have crappy looking products because all they have seen are the no sellers for covers...

But...! Woodgrain would look great in my Victorian-era mansion! I could work on it while I sat in my majestic chair in front of the fireplace smoking a pipe and drinking whatever we rich folk drink! Something old from a large barrel! And I would send my butler out to "go to the iTunes store and get me more MP3's" and whatnot, and it'd be MARVELOUS!

theimacguy
Apr 11, 2006, 11:22 PM
Bring on the colors!!!

(Can you blame me? I loved the mini. :p)

JGowan
Apr 11, 2006, 11:23 PM
But...! Woodgrain would look great in my Victoria-era mansion! I could work on it while I sat in my majestic chair in front of the fireplace smoking a pipe and drinking whatever we rich folk drink! Something old from a large barrel! And I would send my butler out to "go to the iTunes store and get me more MP3's" and whatnot, and it'd be MARVELOUS!That's the most hilarious thing I've read here in quite some time! :D

dansgil
Apr 11, 2006, 11:23 PM
A black aluminum enclosure would be nice. :)

Spock
Apr 11, 2006, 11:24 PM

Something similar to the gradually changing desktop background that was available in the early versions of Panther - only this time, the entire computer would gradually change colors...

the changing desktop feature was never removed my background is fading pics as I type this

Doctor Q
Apr 11, 2006, 11:24 PM
The risk in buying a color MacBook is that it'll go "out of style" when the next batch of "new fall colors" are issued.

However...

Apple benefits when users think their computers need upgrading for such silly reasons. But some people with Bondi Blue iMacs probably started feeling their Macs weren't up to date when the rainbow iMacs appeared, not just for technical (spec) reasons.

Our current black and white Apple products could go "out of style" too, although that seems less likely, for the same reason black and white are safer choices in clothing.

macpastor
Apr 11, 2006, 11:25 PM
They were able to do the Mini IPod in aluminum with colors that withstood scratches well. Why not do the same thing with the MacBook?

w_parietti22
Apr 11, 2006, 11:27 PM
How about an Apple White, Jet Black, Ferrari Red, Girly Pink, and Navy Blue.

I would probably go with black :o

MegaSignal
Apr 11, 2006, 11:28 PM
the changing desktop feature was never removed my background is fading pics as I type this

I added the letters 's' and 'ce' to the word 'in'. That's what i really meant. . .thanks!

muffinman
Apr 11, 2006, 11:30 PM
its going to be black and white. what, a hot pink macbook pro?....pshaw..:rolleyes:

brian24GC
Apr 11, 2006, 11:31 PM

These (http://www.saucepage.com) people?

splashman
Apr 11, 2006, 11:32 PM
Black, yes. White, yes. Metal, yes.

Flower power, no. Blue Dalmatian, no. Bling bling, no.

Seriously, it's hard to imagine Jobs or Ive putting their stamp of approval on additional hues. But then again, it's hard to imagine they put their stamp of approval on Flower Power. So it's anybody's guess.

Geez, though -- why would they want the inventory headaches associated with colors?

Here's my hope and prediction: a nifty new material or surface in one of their signature "colors": black or white.

shidoshi
Apr 11, 2006, 11:32 PM

And yes, I'm a guy. [edit]. Pink is the new black for technology.

Absolutely ridiculous edit. What I said wasn't offensive, and was said just to shut up anybody who might want to make a stupid comment in response to my post.

Moderation around here is totally moronic sometimes.

Admin edit: The word 'gay' was edited out not because it was offensive, but because an earlier reference to it triggered about 10 off topic responses. To discuss the merits of the use of the word 'gay' in the english language - go to this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=193343). Do NOT respond in this thread about the merits of colors of the MacBook.

You're more than welcome to think that, but you're wrong.

p0intblank
Apr 11, 2006, 11:41 PM
This gets a huge Positive from me! I would love for Apple to reintroduce colored Macs. I wasn't a Mac user when the iMac G3s and iBook G3s were modern computers, but I still love how they look. I don't personally have a need for a MacBook, but colors would certainly lean me towards a purchase. :D

Please, Apple!

wedge antilies
Apr 11, 2006, 11:43 PM
Cleverly placed LED's and Fiber Optics installed under the case to change the color at wil That would be cool.

Didn't Apple patent something similar to this last year.

ErikGrim
Apr 11, 2006, 11:45 PM
Didn't Apple patent something similar to this last year.
Not last year, years ago. Around the time of patterned iMacs if I recall correctly.

YoNeX
Apr 11, 2006, 11:53 PM
Mmh while colors would be nice, the safe colors would have to be Apple's classic white. Black is so IBM's (Lenovo) territory for notebooks. So just keep it simply white for the iBook. I'll be happy if I could change color of the Apple logo. Imagine a glowing HOT PINK :o Apple icon. Yes I am a guy! Also, the whole thing about being able to change cases, seems kind of tacky, unless engineered right. If Apple does decide to allow case changing, we might have an interesting market of color cases.

JZ Wire
Apr 11, 2006, 11:56 PM
Cool! I put off buying a MacBook Pro because I wanted to wait and see what the Macbooks were going to look like. Also I already have a Powerbook so im just looking for a simple & light weight laptop. A nice black MB would look really sweet!! :crosses fingers: :)

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 11, 2006, 11:59 PM
I can't believe no one has said it yet...

BRING BACK BEIGE!

:)

Anyone ever used a BLACK laptop? Just curious what that is like compared to the white iBooks? Any preferences? I want to be ready to purchase the day these are released and will drive over to my Apple Store to pick one up. I'll probably stick to white, but want to consider other possibilities, if they may exist.

bah-bah'd
Apr 12, 2006, 12:00 AM
About time? We've been there, we've done that, I even got the t-shirt. We've moved on, let's not go back to ugly colors. I can handle white and black like the iPods, but please, nothing else.

Before you know it you are going to hate black and white and will think the same thing of your white computer like you did your tan refrigerator... eww, god that thing is old...

macEfan
Apr 12, 2006, 12:00 AM
ooo another apple secret.. Id love it if they intriduced a clear one, but I highty doubt that will ever happen.

pavetheforest
Apr 12, 2006, 12:02 AM
i hope they dont.........maybe a material that wont scratch, as others have posted...cause after two weeks my buddy's black nano looked like crap!!!! but colors to target more women....lame idea that would turn me off...i mean, who wants a girly laptop?!?!? Not I. :cool:

grapes911
Apr 12, 2006, 12:03 AM
Before you know it you are going to hate black and white and will think the same thing of your white computer like you did your tan refrigerator... eww, god that thing is old...
No, because I hated the colored iMacs from the beginning. White (and black) computers are more professional and classy.

shravis
Apr 12, 2006, 12:08 AM
I'd love to see MacBooks in colors. I'd get black, but variety is always good.

But I don't want my new MacBook to be 'targetted at women'. That's not cool.

Dark Horse, the only thing 'not cool' is your attitude towards sexuality. You say 'variety is always good'... but not if its 'targetted at women'? Get real man. Apple products are unbiased in their sexuality; they can easily be for men or women. I mean, do you think they made the iPod Mini in pink so all the men could walk around and show it off?

back to the topic at hand: I personally would love a blue MacBook with a Core Duo for $999. aww yea.:cool:

iHeartTheApple
Apr 12, 2006, 12:11 AM
I feel like anything more than the original white and a black one (similar to the current iPod and nano colors) would be overkill... Don't get crazy with the colors, Apple! :o :)

pavetheforest
Apr 12, 2006, 12:17 AM
Dark Horse, the only thing 'not cool' is your attitude towards sexuality. You say 'variety is always good'... but not if its 'targetted at women'? Get real man. Apple products are unbiased in their sexuality; they can easily be for men or women. I mean, do you think they made the iPod Mini in pink so all the men could walk around and show it off?

back to the topic at hand: I personally would love a blue MacBook with a Core Duo for $999. aww yea.:cool:

Eh......i'm with darkhorse...I was turned off by all the minis cause all the colors looked way feminine, so I got the 3G (white) ipod instead. Anyway, variety is cool, but black and white are more professional and seem to be the way to go....But as the apple insider article stated(and we all know), this will be Apple's 'consumer' notebook (spec and $$ wise) so colors could be smart way to target a wider audience and bring in some more dough....but as for me...black and white...and please God, no aluminum dentBooks!!!:cool:

FaasNat
Apr 12, 2006, 12:17 AM
If it's nice like my wife's Nano...I could go for something like a black MacBook.,,,

Arcady
Apr 12, 2006, 12:21 AM
How about the original PowerBook charcoal grey that they used on the 68k laptops? That was my favorite. Or go totally retro and offer them in charcoal, platinum, and classic beige! :D

MattInOz
Apr 12, 2006, 12:21 AM
Why would the colour range need to be fixed?

They could have White and Black as standard.
Then have a third option in a Fashion colour that changes each season.
Do matching iPods.
It's got to be a Sales Winner

pavetheforest
Apr 12, 2006, 12:22 AM
How about the original PowerBook charcoal grey that they used on the 68k laptops? That was my favorite. Or go totally retro and offer them in charcoal, platinum, and classic beige! :D

classic beige! hahahah YUCK!!!!!!:eek:

QCassidy352
Apr 12, 2006, 12:23 AM
I hope it's something that doesn't scratch so darn easily. Can it really be that hard to make a tough yet scratch resistant casing? :confused: I guess colors could be ok... but please, keep it simple. I personally wouldn't want anything but white/black/silver, but if there must be colors, let's be tasteful this time around... no lime, no tangerine, no pink... :cool:

nagromme
Apr 12, 2006, 12:25 AM
The iBook G4 remains a top seller at Amazon. I have the feeling the Intel replacement is going to be the best selling Mac in a very long time.

And if it DOES come in black I hope it sells well enough for Apple to offer at least one black model of iMac. With black BT keyboard and mouse. That would be the coolest desktop ever. (Except of course when left for hours in direct sunlight...)

Superdrive
Apr 12, 2006, 12:37 AM
Consider a TANGERINE core duo sold.

Doctor Q
Apr 12, 2006, 12:37 AM
My favorite Mac color was "clear":

http://www.geeksrus.com/albums/g5/Images/G5_through_air_flow_shield.jpg

Not to mention:

http://www.apple.com/au/speakers/images/speaker_top.jpg

skwert
Apr 12, 2006, 12:39 AM
My girl would so be into a sub $999 colorful laptop and thus into me - sweet

haha, amazing...and true.

i think the colors would be a real selling point for females. i know many who have gotten ibooks b/c they are "cute" i can only imagine what a color selection would do.

for me...it's white sex, apple's signiture color...the eFruits didn't sit too well w/ me.

sartinsauce
Apr 12, 2006, 12:40 AM
Why would the colour range need to be fixed?

They could have White and Black as standard.
Then have a third option in a Fashion colour that changes each season.
Do matching iPods.
It's got to be a Sales Winner

This is a brilliant idea, kudos!

Second place goes to Retro-Beige...

livingfortoday
Apr 12, 2006, 12:45 AM
My favorite Mac color was "clear"

Oh, but I'm one step ahead of you on the clear iBook front...

http://www.macmod.com/images/stories/Posted%20Mods/SkyBook/4.jpg

http://www.macmod.com/images/stories/Posted%20Mods/SkyBook/3.jpg

sam10685
Apr 12, 2006, 01:06 AM
it doesn't much matter to me... one Macbook is as good as the next.

knackroller
Apr 12, 2006, 01:10 AM
I doubt they'll go colors. Black and white a la the nano is about it.

Dark Horse
Apr 12, 2006, 01:13 AM

Ok...wait. I'm not going down this flaming route because I don't want my comments to be over-zealously moderated. But the original article says:

An earlier unverified report had claimed that Apple was going to be introducing light-weight notebooks with a "stylish design" aimed at targeting female customers.

So I was saying 'variety is good' (which includes all the colors of the rainbow if that's the way it has to be). But I don't want the MacBook to be actually designed in a feminine style. As in physical shape. I couldn't care less if you have a pink MacBook with My Little Pony on it. I want a Black Macbook that is designed in a 'sexuality unbias' way.

Enough said.

Wellander
Apr 12, 2006, 01:36 AM
Hi,
I hope the coloured macs do not come back.
In my opinion there were ugly.
It is black white or gray for me.
I really hope this is not true.

BillyShears
Apr 12, 2006, 01:43 AM
You're more than welcome to think that, but you're wrong.

I never see pink ANYWHERE besides shirts with popped collars, and apparently a couple of smilies on these forums. Give me some examples of pink used in IT.

Anyway, introducing colours would be a good way to push pros to the MBP.

Elrond39
Apr 12, 2006, 01:44 AM
Still, the most reliable information appears to point to at least two colored MacBook models. Unlike the 90's when Apple jazzed up its iMacs in semi-translucent plastics, the colored MacBooks are more likely sport solid-shade, sleek enclosures similar to the company's professional MacBook Pro laptops. In fact, those people familiar with prototypes of the forthcoming notebooks say their overall design is reminiscent of the MacBook Pro, only "comfortably smaller." (my emphases)

So this screams iPod mini styling to me... Granted, I reckon that a white and black could/should be included, for consistency's sake. So the colors as I see them: Pink, Green, Blue, White and Black (with matching light-up Apple logos, with the exception of White and Black which will both likely have the standard white light-up logo. Another thought could be the classic Macintosh logo in light-up form...:rolleyes: ) Here's hoping for a scratch-resistant anodized-aluminum white :) (And yes, I know about the denting and the heat issues, but I would be willing to risk it. Also, this way my sister and I can tell our future MacBooks apart simply by the color.)

Stridder44
Apr 12, 2006, 01:58 AM

And Emo kids. Don't cry emo kid.

itcheroni
Apr 12, 2006, 02:01 AM
Anyone want to bet whether this new ibook will be the best selling Apple computer of all time? I seriously suspect it will be. Follow my logic here.

iPods 1g to 3g were cool and slowly became popular. But then the iPod mini came out and iPods suddenly exploded. I think the pink one was the bestselling out of the four (just guessing. Anyone have info?). And it was mainly women driving the new sales (again, just IMO). These people then moved on to nanos or 5g ipods. Just take a look at aapl's stock chart and take note of the dates.

And to make another generalization, women are more willing to pay for aesthetics, especially when it comes to electronics. Apple is perfect for them, but white and aluminum just doesn't do it for a lot of people. It's a bit cold and mechanical feeling, something the ipod mini avoided by adding color. And remember, women need laptops just as much as men. It's pure genius to take a few details, such as color, into consideration when the payoff could be double or triple sales. A laptop is something most female college students have to buy, so they just go on Dell and buy whatever cheap laptop is on special. But if you give them something they WANT to buy, they won't care about Apple's higher prices. Maybe this new Macbook will do for Apple's computer sales what the mini did for iPod sales.

Sure, white, black, and aluminum are professional looking, but this is the consumer line. But the next few years will see more new college students than ever in the US and college students don't give a damn about looking professional. I think 2010 is the year University educators are most worried about accomodating new students. If Apple could get a significant slice of the college kids market, they'll have a whole new crop of Mac lifers, and Apple will cease to be considered an underdog.

So if they could make a laptop that mimics the appeal of the iPod mini, they'll have a hot one on their hands.

Kelmon
Apr 12, 2006, 02:04 AM
In fairness I'm interested in a MacBook/iBook but I am looking to replace my PowerBook with a MacBook Pro and in this regard I can say just one thing:

Please, for the love of God, change the hideous aluminium coloured keyboard

I quite like the Aluminium colour of the rest of the unit but I do like a contrasting colour for the keyboard (ala the black of my PowerBook). This said, however, I'd be quite happy with a shiny black model but would consider other colours as well if they looked good. Choice is always nice as long as you can find at least one option that you like.

MrCrowbar
Apr 12, 2006, 02:17 AM
Testing colors, ey?

So that really means no metal case :(

mongoos150
Apr 12, 2006, 02:31 AM
What a horrible idea...solid colors as opposed to the great semi-translucent colors of current age? Ick...and colors?! How else can Apple make itself look infantile, not to mention drive corperate purchasers away. Double ick. Targeting female customers? Do females flock to candy colored laptops? *sigh* I'll be sticking with the iMac and MBP.

Applespider
Apr 12, 2006, 02:35 AM
I think we've showed in this thread that there's a market for almost any option that Apple might produce - even if it's a small one!

I like the idea of colours but I'd limit it - I'd say that doing white, black, red and blue would cover most options but it does lead to inventory issues if you offer them all with the same processor options - then again, if they're hot enough, they'll fly out regardless a la iPod mini. I wonder whether perhaps the most common white/black would be sold to resellers and colours would be limited to the Apple stores.

I hate the current trend of making something 'pink' to suit women. I'm not sure I own anything that's pink. Make it smaller to fit in a handbag, make it lighter sure - but please just don't make a pink option!

I'd prefer them to be one colour - I don't like those two-tone Vaios. And I don't like the black keyboards on the old PBs.

Just as a thought - while we think the old colours were old-fashioned. When I finally convinced three people to buy an eMac and iBooks in the past two years, all three asked what colours they could have them in since they liked the idea of their computer not being a single colour. Only white didn't stop them buying but they'd have liked the colours.

If you don't want infantile, then buy one of the Pro-line.

Macnoviz
Apr 12, 2006, 02:42 AM
Anyone want to bet whether this new ibook will be the best selling Apple computer of all time? I seriously suspect it will be. Follow my logic here.

iPods 1g to 3g were cool and slowly became popular. But then the iPod mini came out and iPods suddenly exploded. I think the pink one was the bestselling out of the four (just guessing. Anyone have info?). And it was mainly women driving the new sales (again, just IMO). These people then moved on to nanos or 5g ipods. Just take a look at aapl's stock chart and take note of the dates.

And to make another generalization, women are more willing to pay for aesthetics, especially when it comes to electronics. Apple is perfect for them, but white and aluminum just doesn't do it for a lot of people. It's a bit cold and mechanical feeling, something the ipod mini avoided by adding color. And remember, women need laptops just as much as men. It's pure genius to take a few details, such as color, into consideration when the payoff could be double or triple sales. A laptop is something most female college students have to buy, so they just go on Dell and buy whatever cheap laptop is on special. But if you give them something they WANT to buy, they won't care about Apple's higher prices. Maybe this new Macbook will do for Apple's computer sales what the mini did for iPod sales.

Sure, white, black, and aluminum are professional looking, but this is the consumer line. But the next few years will see more new college students than ever in the US and college students don't give a damn about looking professional. I think 2010 is the year University educators are most worried about accomodating new students. If Apple could get a significant slice of the college kids market, they'll have a whole new crop of Mac lifers, and Apple will cease to be considered an underdog.

So if they could make a laptop that mimics the appeal of the iPod mini, they'll have a hot one on their hands.

That's real good logic, there. Very nice text.

May I add, there are several other things that could really boost sales this year:

1. Windows. With boot camp, and nearly native virtualisation, there are no longer any windows-only applications unavailable for the Macintosh. If this is brought to the attention of the right people, say students from 16-21, this could be a huge selling point.

2. OS X+iLife: women, in my experience like their computers clean, sleek and simple. Apple is all about that. If they see how simple everything is, they will never even consider a PC anymore. I was once talking with a female student about her computer, and her main demand for a computer was: that it would just work. Where have heard that before?

EDIT: time to get some more AAPL

EricNau
Apr 12, 2006, 02:43 AM
Testing colors, ey?

So that really means no metal case :(
No, metal will be saved for "Pro" computers.

SeaFox
Apr 12, 2006, 02:50 AM
Consider a TANGERINE core duo sold.

Tangerine and Lime were the least popular colors of the original clamshell iMac, resellers practically had to give them away in the end.

LACOSTE
Apr 12, 2006, 03:00 AM
Hmmmm Colours for the enclosure are great ... but...

what would they do with the keyboards? would they colour them too?
aesthetically you dont want a bright red or a bright blue keyboard. :)
And if they keep the nice white finish we have now on the iBooks and only the outer shell being painted... i dont think that would look good. It would look like a Vaio... which is ugly and not very appealling (looks too much like a car made by kia) :p .

more interestingly, would you like a pattern on the notebook? Leopard skin limited edition MacBook, or a 'windows sucks' poster?

Honestly, i think they should stick with their current choices: black, white and silver. When they do introduce colours please dont make it look like the iPod mini's... they are forgiveable but they look too... edible... in a bad way :)

sintaxi
Apr 12, 2006, 03:31 AM
I can't believe no one has said it yet...

BRING BACK BEIGE!

OMG. I would totally buy a retro looking beige notebook. obvoiusly it would have to sport the rainbow mac logo

brentonbrenton
Apr 12, 2006, 03:38 AM
too many people are worrying about themselves. what about the other 80%+ of consumers, the parents, the students, the fashion concious? i'm sure at least on model will come in a basic white or silver, but colours would be a great idea if carefully chosen.

a lot of the consumers could buy these on appearances, and as i'm aware, i thought the ipod minis sold solidly with the general public because they were buying something cutting edge in design, but with added individuality.

don't like colours, buy a pro & don't be so cheap.

lvnmacs
Apr 12, 2006, 03:39 AM
Very disappointed if Apple comes out with flashy colors. The main reason I love Macs so much is for their simplicity and sleek machines. Hope they don't join the Vaio bandwagon and come out with really funky colors:o

jap4n
Apr 12, 2006, 03:48 AM
ugh, i think apple would sell a lot if they sold the forthcoming macbooks in the same colours (well, best selling colours) as the ipod mini's.

i mean, check out the ipod mini in pink... it sold so much that now its listed on ebay for quite big prices. Surely this kinda demand for apple stuff has gotta be worth pimping.. The lasts gen. ibook would look pretty killer in a solid pink, blue, green, purple and, i dunno, but silver was kinda plain, so prolly black.. the same kinda plastic of course (and not painted please!). And most girls love the pink ipod "omg how cuuuute, i WANT ONE!" (actual quote from my flatmates girlfriend, then two weeks later she had one) - and if they saw the macbook in pink... im sure the same kinda thing would be said... perhaps even "omg ponies!"

as for the scratching...i've had my ibook for over 1.5years and it has been taking care of moderately.. it has cracks in the screens bezel.. (i dunno how the hell this happened... its never been dropped... perhaps it was screwed in too tight when manufactured..) - but hardly any scratches... just grubby finger prints which come off with a bit of spit and polish.

i think i'd rather have a macbook pro in silvr, ti/alu.. (or what ever) but then again.. a glossy black would match my black ipod... oh snap, it'd look pretty neat with a glowing apple too...

go the coloured macbook! my bet is that it'd sell like crazy.

h?
Apr 12, 2006, 03:48 AM
As long as they have a perfectly clear one so that i can customise it to the colour that i want.

Not my choice but you get the idea

itcheroni
Apr 12, 2006, 03:54 AM
That's real good logic, there. Very nice text.

May I add, there are several other things that could really boost sales this year:

1. Windows. With boot camp, and nearly native virtualisation, there are no longer any windows-only applications unavailable for the Macintosh. If this is brought to the attention of the right people, say students from 16-21, this could be a huge selling point.

2. OS X+iLife: women, in my experience like their computers clean, sleek and simple. Apple is all about that. If they see how simple everything is, they will never even consider a PC anymore. I was once talking with a female student about her computer, and her main demand for a computer was: that it would just work. Where have heard that before?

EDIT: time to get some more AAPL

Thanks, man. Boot camp and this new macbook is going to be hot. Jobs is an amazing CEO. I saw a guy on TV saying Boot Camp was just Jobs and Apple admitting defeat to Windows. It might be good news for Windows in the short run, but it'll be negligible for Gates. If you were CEO of Microsoft, would you be happy to get ~4% more market share or afraid of losing your 90~% market share? The main and irrefutable reason for people not buying mac wasn't price, it was that they needed Windows programs. AAPL went up $10 last week because of it and I think it's just the beginning of another steady climb.

On thing that would be cool, but that's unApple, is to allow mix and max when ordering on the website. Allow people to choose colors for three different aspects of the book: the casing, the keyboard, and the Apple logo. I would take an all tangerine casing with a white keyboard. Just like a delicious half and half bar. mmmm.

sunfast
Apr 12, 2006, 03:58 AM
Please no colours! Add black maybe but let's not go back to the old days.

BlizzardBomb
Apr 12, 2006, 03:58 AM
How about a glow-in-the-dark MacBook, no need for lighted keys! :D :p

Elrond39
Apr 12, 2006, 04:17 AM
Am I completely off-base, or do I seem to remember something about color-shifting from months ago... imagine if the exterior casing of the MacBook was color-shiftable... Buy it in White or Black, and then color-shift on a picture/pattern/different color. Don't know about the feasibility, but would make Apple by far the most ingenious laptop-maker: give everyone what they want without increasing your own costs. At least they should consider it for the light-up Apple logo :)

Joe2000
Apr 12, 2006, 04:17 AM
I'm a huge fan of the current iBook's white enclosure and I would hate to se it go, I could cope with Aluminium but I'd still prefer the white plastic case - aesthetic wise -

However I do think the iBook's case could be beefed up a bit, mine @ 11 months old creaked and flexed when you pick'ed it up and it did feel a little unsturdy. (if thats a real word)

I think the iBook G3s case was the best looking iBook case, not the ugly Clamshell - the elegant IceBook!:D

- Joe.

Apr 12, 2006, 04:19 AM
Actually it's gonna be the iPod Mini REBORN..!! MacBooks in anodized aluminum, offered in white, pink, gray, black and blue...AWESOME!

p.s.: my iPod Mini silver hasn't got a scratch in 2 years of usage... ;)

jonharris200
Apr 12, 2006, 04:23 AM
OMG. I would totally buy a retro looking beige notebook. obvoiusly it would have to sport the rainbow mac logo
Not just 'retro' - beige would also be hugely ironic. A beige box that works, is fun to use, and therefore increases productivity?! ;)

mpw
Apr 12, 2006, 04:32 AM
I like the clear iBook a couple of pages back but can't see them doing anything other than white, black or alloy. Posibly a half chrome finish like an iPod but I doubt that too.

What would I like to see?

Leather black, brown or ox blood

GekkePrutser
Apr 12, 2006, 04:35 AM
If you want to know what they're going to look like in colour, check out these guys: http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=20

They've been painting powerbooks for years. I have to say some of them look nice but they charge a lot more just for the paint job. I'd never buy one myself, brushed-aluminium is cool enough for me. But it makes for pretty pictures :) They still sell only the G4's though.

Of course, these are powerbooks, and not macbooks, but I'd say they would look roughly the same in the new widescreen form factor.

http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryimages/images/powerbook_angle.gif
http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryimages/images/powerbook_back_angle.gif

Edit: The price difference wasn't as great as I said first, sorry.

ukmaestro
Apr 12, 2006, 05:00 AM
I never really digged the black ipod when it was released. To me Apple is just white and silver, although I have fond memories of the many coloured imacs we had. I think the only qualm I have about the idea is that it might make them more a sort of fashion commodity. All those ladies (or men to be PC!) that would love a pink model, because its pink! I'd have a fear they'd simply stick stickers and alsorts on the laptop to make it 'cooler' or something. I've seen it done on white models and their lack of respect always breaks my heart! :(

timmillwood
Apr 12, 2006, 05:13 AM
i like the idea of a really small laptop, but why only for women, i want one.

jabooth
Apr 12, 2006, 05:22 AM
Every day, without fail, my girlfriend complains about the battery life on her beloved pink ipod mini. Her dad's loaded, so I tell her to sort herself out a nice new nano. She's like "no I like my mini."

So, she wont get a product with:

better battery life
smaller
same capacity
colour screen
album art/photos
no harddrive
etc...

purely because it's not pink.

Nice one apple - you're on a winner. Go crazy - just make sure there's a white or black one for plain folk like me ;)

GekkePrutser
Apr 12, 2006, 05:30 AM
Every day, without fail, my girlfriend complains about the battery life on her beloved pink ipod mini. Her dad's loaded, so I tell her to sort herself out a nice new nano. She's like "no I like my mini."

[...]

Well, maybe she's afraid that you'll borrow it all the time if she buys a nano. I'm sure you wouldn't want to carry her pink mini to work with you ;) That's what my girlfriend said anyway when she bought a pink MP3 player :)

jabooth
Apr 12, 2006, 05:34 AM
Well, maybe she's afraid that you'll borrow it all the time if she buys a nano. I'm sure you wouldn't want to carry her pink mini to work with you ;)

Haha! You're probably right mate :D

gregorsamsa
Apr 12, 2006, 06:18 AM
No, can't see past the gimmicky, cheapening effect of different coloured Macbooks. (Why even change the name from iBook, an established logo?)
Black just makes it look like any PC laptop, attracts more static, etc. Surely different colours appeal mostly to teenagers & very immature ones at that. Different colours so very 1990s & passe also.

I'm happy with white. It's distinctive, modern (white has a timeless quality about it), aesthetically pleasing & SO very Apple. Keep it mostly white. Anything else just panders to the ugly gaudiness bedevilling our times.

itcheroni
Apr 12, 2006, 06:21 AM

better battery life
smaller
same capacity
colour screen
album art/photos
no harddrive
etc...

Nice one apple - you're on a winner. Go crazy - just make sure there's a white or black one for plain folk like me ;)

Why doesn't she just put in a new battery? It's only about $25.

Roba
Apr 12, 2006, 06:24 AM
Colour is great and i was looking for a coloured MBP when i was buying my MBP. Green is my favourite colour but i will say though that although this colour of choice maybe something that i like though when it comes to selling my MBP in the future this may make it not so desirable because my chosen colour may not be to everybody's taste.

itcheroni
Apr 12, 2006, 06:25 AM
No, can't see past the gimmicky, cheapening effect of different coloured Macbooks. (Why even change the name from iBook, an established logo?)
Black just makes it look like any PC laptop, attracts more static, etc. Surely different colours appeal mostly to teenagers & very immature ones at that. Different colours so very 1990s & passe also.

I'm happy with white. It's distinctive, modern (white has a timeless quality about it), aesthetically pleasing & SO very Apple. Keep it mostly white. Anything else just panders to the ugly gaudiness bedevilling our times.

Pander or simply giving their customers an option? I don't get why you and so many other people are upset about this. So what if you have a white Macbook and I have a canary yellow one? It's what's on the inside that counts.

cdpilkington
Apr 12, 2006, 06:28 AM
I think they're going to want to try and establish greater brand identity between the mac & ipod lines, the most sensible way of which would be keeping their styles consistent with those in the current ipods. Helps them out with their advertising of "easy as ipod" too, as people can match their nano/4g/5g to the laptop.
Itcheroni made a very good point in favour of colours though, so maybe we'll see them as BTO with a couple of 'demo' models displayed in apple stores/adverts? That way the mac line largely remains "clean" in pesenting a black & white image to the public. In any case, I'm sure these new macbooks will be a desirable product.

{Edit}
Swappable cases would possibly be the best solution, Nokia using these really boosted demand for mobile phones amongst teenagers, I knew a few people who bought one just because they could customise them.

Long time lurker, finally decided to jump into the forum. :)

janstett
Apr 12, 2006, 06:39 AM

Like XBox 360? There's a small cottage industry making faceplates for that thing.

janstett
Apr 12, 2006, 06:44 AM

Something similar to the gradually changing desktop background that was available since the early versions of Panther (or Jaguar...I forget when this came to be) - only this time, the entire computer would gradually change colors...

Philips plasma TV's have a feature called "ambilight", where they emit a colored light *behind* the TV that matches the overall average hue of the picture on screen, it is meant to soften the transition from the TV image to the rest of the room.

janstett
Apr 12, 2006, 06:58 AM
I'll be happy if I could change color of the Apple logo. Imagine a glowing HOT PINK :o Apple icon.

Very possible -- Dell (yes, Dell) XPS cases do this with a setting in the BIOS you can choose between 5 or 6 different colored glows behind the faceplate. It would be cool to be able to set that for the Apple logo. However, I believe the Apple logo glows because of bleeding light from the LCD not its own light source.

MrCrowbar
Apr 12, 2006, 07:11 AM
I've seen something very funny about a year ago when waitung for the metro: There was this woman (obviously coming from work) tucking her green iPod mini into a matching green purse, then she pulled out a tiny pink purse out of her jacket and a matching pink iPod.

Just saying some women do care about the colors... I'd like to see a black Macbook (I guess there will be black and white just like the current iPods). I care for colors too but I'm a black and white guy anyway ^^. Can't say which color I will like best though. I think the nano looks great in black (never seen a white one on the street) and the 5G is cool in white. It's like cars, Ferrari is nice in Red, but a business Mercedes is nicer in silver.

Offering multiple colors would definetely increase Apple's market share, especially in education. Young people are more sensible to fashion. I'm more the type to have the case airbrushed to turn heads wherever I pull out my laptop. :D

dernhelm
Apr 12, 2006, 07:12 AM
Actually it's gonna be the iPod Mini REBORN..!! MacBooks in anodized aluminum, offered in white, pink, gray, black and blue...AWESOME!

p.s.: my iPod Mini silver hasn't got a scratch in 2 years of usage... ;)

Yeah, I've had great luck with my mini as well. But I still hope this isn't true. I wouldn't mind black, white, or silver. But anything else looks cheap.

MrCrowbar
Apr 12, 2006, 07:14 AM
I believe the Apple logo glows because of bleeding light from the LCD not its own light source.

True. the logo shines because of the backlighting. Ever used an Apple book out in bright sun? it shines through and you always have this bright apple "backlighting" your display, very annoying :rolleyes:
You'd have to put a metal plate between the logo and the display to avoid interefring lighting if you want a colored Apple logo...

(L)
Apr 12, 2006, 07:24 AM
Apple is white.

:confused:

Kinda not really. It's interesting how much of an impact color has. On professional models, I don't really think you NEED funky colors, and on consumer models, you'd better keep a few neutral and calm colors, because you can't just sell, say, bright pink.

White is great because it creates an illusion of space. I guess black does that a little too, but it is also a classic "cool" color. I like my aluminum powerbook over the white iBook because it looks less plasticky, which just isn't so big with me. Looking back though, a 12" iBook with a bigger hard drive may have been a better, cheaper choice in some ways, but what the hey.

In the end, people like a choice of color. I could never see myself buying a brightly colored Mac, out of personal preference to have something more soothing to the eyes, but Apple needs to keep appealing to the kind of people that go out and buy colorful Sonys and what not. They'll probably keep white and add to it, is what I feel.

gregorsamsa
Apr 12, 2006, 07:27 AM

(L)
Apr 12, 2006, 07:31 AM
What a horrible idea...solid colors as opposed to the great semi-translucent colors of current age? Ick...and colors?! How else can Apple make itself look infantile, not to mention drive corperate purchasers away. Double ick. Targeting female customers? Do females flock to candy colored laptops? *sigh* I'll be sticking with the iMac and MBP.

That is my one criticism here. Targeting females seems to have necessarily translated into funky colors. I don't really get that at all. Sure, not many businessmen are just dying to have a computer that stands out like a sore thumb at the office. But, for that matter, neither do businesswomen! I don't mean to stereotype, but this reminds me of the girl in "Legally Blond," you know, with the pink laptop and all. It's importatnt to capture that market too, but you don't want to make it your label, your flag and all. The Macs are industry strength and graceful about it - seems like calm and sleek should also be an image touted by these MB's. As an option there should be colors...not like advertising just the colors sort of thing, like with that old "Yum" poster.

Ferrari's are red, and apples are white. It'd be interesting to see what happens as Apples have more freedom but less uniform of a heads-up style.

Boggle
Apr 12, 2006, 07:35 AM
If you want to know what they're going to look like in colour, check out these guys: http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=20

They've been painting powerbooks for years. I have to say some of them look nice but they charge a lot more just for the paint job. I'd never buy one myself, brushed-aluminium is cool enough for me. But it makes for pretty pictures :) They still sell only the G4's though.

Of course, these are powerbooks, and not macbooks, but I'd say they would look roughly the same in the new widescreen form factor.

http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryimages/images/powerbook_angle.gif
http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryimages/images/powerbook_back_angle.gif

Edit: The price difference wasn't as great as I said first, sorry.

OOOOh, a Granny Smith Green 12" iBook. That is something I'd like to own.

PPC970FX
Apr 12, 2006, 07:50 AM
Have you all forgotten the patent that the computer can "change" the colors by using LEDs under the plastic. Like the on light is green and the sleep is yellow. This is just the hole computer.

Think new, think better.

twoodcc
Apr 12, 2006, 07:51 AM
very interesting. i hope they do have different colors, but please not a whole line of laptops for females?:eek:

Apr 12, 2006, 07:51 AM
OOOOh, a Granny Smith Green 12" iBook. That is something I'd like to own.

Hehehe, I am pretty sure Yoko Ono would be even more pissed off with a Granny Smith MacBook...surely yet another reason for Apple Corps. to come with all guns blazing..! ;)

deadturtle
Apr 12, 2006, 07:59 AM
Colors would be fun. I think I'd prefer solid over translucent colors and a plastic case over the aluminium one. I think the aluminium one is light however, but plastic might be cheaper. Interesting to see what way apple goes. Course I wouldnt mind a Carbon Fiber case ;) but you know, that might not = cheap bottom line laptop!

Enigmac
http://i1.tinypic.com/v80vgy.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/v81nc5.jpg

:) :rolleyes: ;)

Fabio_gsilva
My girl always ask me if there is a new colored Apple laptop, eveerytime a say that we need to buy one... a color Macbook will mean a new Mac for me, and that will be very nice indeed!

A Black one, like the iPod, would be cool!

weazle1098
Apr 12, 2006, 08:03 AM
Pink would go over like making it out of diamond stamp stick with the white and black (black would pretty much make it the sexiest compuuter alive)

coumerelli
Apr 12, 2006, 08:03 AM
Hehehe, I am pretty sure Yoko Ono would be even more pissed off with a Granny Smith MacBook...surely yet another reason for Apple Corps. to come with all guns blazing..! ;)

don'tsumeagain

I actually think they outta just take the existing white and give it a slight color variation - not pastel, but super faded. Just enough to say, yeah, I think that's purple, or yellow, or 'smoked'. Yeah, that's what it needs to be. Take the color technique from the gen2 iPod minis (slightly better color variations then the first minis, I think) and tone it down a bit.

MacGuy88
Apr 12, 2006, 08:09 AM

HAHAHAHAHA. Damn that made my day.

(Its spring break.. it doesnt take much)

MacMosher
Apr 12, 2006, 08:20 AM
I really have to no belief in this rumor. I think it has just evolved from the fact that people were saying that it would be cool if they did come in a variety of colors.

I really don't think the should make the MacBooks Yummy :p and I can't picture Apple doing it(again). However I can see them possibly doing black and white, I would get a black one if.... I found out they weren't easily scratched.

ccool2ax
Apr 12, 2006, 08:23 AM
IT'S NOT GOING TO BE CALLED THE MACBOOK! Shut up! It's like renaming the iMac! If there was no Pro at the end of MacBook Pro, then this discussion wouldn't happen! The pro's just there incase one forgets that it's a pro machine, not to differentiate it from another model! Besides, would you really want to kill all that name recognition with a name as ugly as MacBook?

hyperpasta
Apr 12, 2006, 08:25 AM
White.
Black.
Pink.
Green.
Blue.
Orange.

ccool2ax
Apr 12, 2006, 08:29 AM
Very possible -- Dell (yes, Dell) XPS cases do this with a setting in the BIOS you can choose between 5 or 6 different colored glows behind the faceplate. It would be cool to be able to set that for the Apple logo. However, I believe the Apple logo glows because of bleeding light from the LCD not its own light source.
Yeah, you're right. Try shining a white-LED falshlight through the Apple logo when the sceen's off but open. Looks sorta cool.

GoCubsGo
Apr 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
I am quite pleased about this rumor and I hope that it is true. I have a powerbook and have no intentions of getting an ibook soon. But, if I move to a powermac in less then a year and my powerbook happens to die then I'd be in the market for an ibook.
Nonetheless, I'm certain this will raise the selling factor for many people.

Play Ultimate
Apr 12, 2006, 08:37 AM

yesss...living in the '80s.
Now add TopSiders and bowhead girls.

nuthou5e
Apr 12, 2006, 08:43 AM
So this screams iPod mini styling to me... Granted, I reckon that a white and black could/should be included, for consistency's sake. So the colors as I see them: Pink, Green, Blue, White and Black (with matching light-up Apple logos, with the exception of White and Black which will both likely have the standard white light-up logo. Another thought could be the classic Macintosh logo in light-up form...:rolleyes: ) Here's hoping for a scratch-resistant anodized-aluminum white :) (And yes, I know about the denting and the heat issues, but I would be willing to risk it. Also, this way my sister and I can tell our future MacBooks apart simply by the color.)

and also to SPOCK

I remember this story about an apple patent application two years ago discussing color changing chassis and I believe this LED color changing fiber optics in the translucent iBooks and iMacs. I think the main factor on implementing such a technology would be its impact on battery life. With Apple switching to lower power intel chips, this would be the time to do it. Starting with the iBook would be eye-catching and cause media buzz.

Apple patents 'chameleon' computer case
Posted on Monday, 16 August, 2004 by Steve

The Register has discovered a patent granted to Apple that applies to a machine which can change colour.
...the patent covers "a computing device [which] includes a housing having an illuminable portion. The computing device also includes a light device disposed inside the housing. The light device is configured to illuminate the illuminable portion".

The light source is a collection of red, green and blue LEDs, capable of being used to generate any colour entered as an RGB value.

Might this be a feature of the next generation of iMac? At this stage, it's too early to say. Having maintained a single colour scheme - white and chrome - for its consumer computers, Apple may now be looking at returning to the iMac's most successful period, when the machine shipped in a range of bright colours.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/16/apple_colour_patent/

nuthou5e
Apr 12, 2006, 08:46 AM
IT'S NOT GOING TO BE CALLED THE MACBOOK! Shut up! It's like renaming the iMac! If there was no Pro at the end of MacBook Pro, then this discussion wouldn't happen! The pro's just there incase one forgets that it's a pro machine, not to differentiate it from another model! Besides, would you really want to kill all that name recognition with a name as ugly as MacBook?

I agree. They aren't abandoning the iProduct line just the PowerProduct line. iPods and iMacs are their headliner products. It is going to be an iBook.

MrCrowbar
Apr 12, 2006, 08:50 AM

Hmm... I miss the bling and the white touch pad doesn't fit. It looks kinda cheap (no offense) in black. Maybe replace the bottom with polished chrome? Works for the iPod :rolleyes:

I hope if Apple really is to offer dofferent colors the whole thing will look neater than that (again, no offense. that iBook might look gorgeous in real life).

DeadlinePoet
Apr 12, 2006, 08:50 AM
Glossy electric guitar red. I would buy that MacBook. I mean, I'm gonna buy it anyway. But that sort of red would make me dance.:D

Ja Di ksw
Apr 12, 2006, 08:52 AM

I miss the little rainbow apple. My roommate put a big rainbow apple sticker next to his trackpad on the left side.

He owns a Dell.

ready2switch
Apr 12, 2006, 08:53 AM

Avacado!

Seriously, black or white like the iPods. Very classy look and it keeps the "i" association during the iBook -> MacBook conversion.

AidenShaw
Apr 12, 2006, 09:08 AM
Avacado!

Seriously, black or white like the iPods. Very classy look and it keeps the "i" association during the iBook -> MacBook conversion.
Maybe they'll come out with a black mini at the same time.

The white one looks so cheesy next to the TV and other A/V gear.

BillyShears
Apr 12, 2006, 09:09 AM

Stage 1: Denial and isolation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model)

rockthecasbah
Apr 12, 2006, 09:13 AM
im intrigued, but i don't know if i'd really prefer a colored computer. Color seems like something you could get tired of pretty quickly, but you'll be with it for a while (one would assume). Neutral colors like black, silver, and white yes. Maybe a navy. But lime greens, oranges, reds, these are colors one may get tired of then what do you have? :p

Apr 12, 2006, 09:15 AM
I agree. They aren't abandoning the iProduct line just the PowerProduct line. iPods and iMacs are their headliner products. It is going to be an iBook.

You guys seem to forget that MB has already been registered as a trademark...this has been beaten to death already...could you please get over such a trivial naming issue..?

MacBook is ok, and no one is gonna care about a name unless the machine is crappy...which will not be the case at all...

Again:

http://www.macatwork.net/wip/settebit2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=33&Itemid=2

macFanDave
Apr 12, 2006, 09:46 AM
MacBook Amateur in Flower Power, thank you very much.

azentropy
Apr 12, 2006, 09:50 AM
I worked in retail when the colored iMac's were out and it was a nightmare... You had people who only wanted a specific color and others who would not buy a certain color no matter what. At the time Apple also made us buy a certain amount of each color, so we would always run out of one color (blues) and never was able to get rid of others (tangerine). And that was when all the iMacs had the same specs. What if there are 3 models of MacBooks, and then 5 different colors?

Apple needs to keep it simple with either a replaceable back cover (remember the PB 1400?), being able to change the color of the apple logo, or the backlight of the keyboard, or something else we haven't thought of.

Unless Apple's master plan is to continue to frustrate retailers and customers and drive them all to the Apple Online store where you custom order what you want!

n-abounds
Apr 12, 2006, 09:55 AM
I want like a wood color...like walnut or something...it could be cool.
Some Brazilian Cherry perhaps. What am I doing, I need to work on my paper... ;(

h?
Apr 12, 2006, 09:56 AM
I think these designs look cool:
http://www.grahamhicks.com/archives/000022.php

Whistleway
Apr 12, 2006, 09:58 AM
Oh, but I'm one step ahead of you on the clear iBook front...

http://www.macmod.com/images/stories/Posted%20Mods/SkyBook/4.jpg

http://www.macmod.com/images/stories/Posted%20Mods/SkyBook/3.jpg

nice,. it looks scary eh?

finchna
Apr 12, 2006, 10:07 AM
Purple!!

freeny
Apr 12, 2006, 10:20 AM
Plaid or corduroy.

MacMosher
Apr 12, 2006, 10:27 AM
a Carbon one would look AMAZING

m-dogg
Apr 12, 2006, 10:27 AM
Please, for the love of God, change the hideous aluminium coloured keyboard

I quite like the Aluminium colour of the rest of the unit but I do like a contrasting colour for the keyboard (ala the black of my PowerBook).

Really? Please no. That's something I don't understand about almost every PC laptop on the market. The vast majority of them make their keyboards & trackpads a different color. Ugh! A keyboard (& trackpad) that is the same color as the machine looks MUCH better IMO.

No, metal will be saved for "Pro" computers.

But if the 12" PB is going away, I don't see why they wouldn't offer AL as an option, even if it was a $50 or $100 buy-up option (due to a more expensive material compared to plastic).

While part of me thinks that white, black & aluminum is the way to go, another part of me sees how crazy my fiance goes over pink goods. She has a pink mini, and also just got a pink razr (with matching pink BT earpiece). From what I've heard, those colored razrs are selling very well.

This stuff goes in cycles...seems like we are entering a color cycle again...

kerpow
Apr 12, 2006, 10:46 AM
I don't think coloured MacBooks would look "girly". I'd be tempted to get a nice blue or green model. The plain white looks kind of dull to me when compared to a PowerBook.

babble
Apr 12, 2006, 10:50 AM
Come on Apple, surprise us once more.

I wan't all the mini's colors if not more! But keep the white and black options.

ImAlwaysRight
Someone ought to be demoted back to macrumors newbie. :rolleyes:

a Carbon one would look AMAZING
http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryimages/images/galleryLarge/powerbook/carbon.jpg

I agree ... think I might actually choose carbon/black over the white one Apple will offer. (don't think keyboard/trackpad would be white on the black model, tho)

;)

Decisions, decisions!

mongoos150
Kelmon-
The silver keyboard is GORGEOUS - as is the trackpad, it's what sets the MBP apart from every silver plastic Dell and the like - silver plastic housing with black plastic keyboards.

ImAlwaysRight-
Looks like an Alienware or FN laptop - I'll stick with the matte aluminum.

m-dogg
Apr 12, 2006, 10:51 AM
I want like a wood color...like walnut or something...it could be cool.
Some Brazilian Cherry perhaps. What am I doing, I need to work on my paper... ;(

The MacBook Woody? :p

macgeek2005
Apr 12, 2006, 11:00 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OMG, I WANT ONE!!!!!!! HOW DID YOU DO THAT????????????????????

Enigmac
Apr 12, 2006, 11:08 AM
Check this out:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryImages/images/intel_mac_mini.jpg

There's this company called ColorWare that gives quality professional paint jobs to your Mac or iPod when you send it in. There's a huge selection of tones to choose from... you can even choose two tones. It's cost me a steep $399, but I'm VERY happy with my shiny black iBook G4. Not something you see everyday! Mine also doesn't scratch very easily.

http://www.colorwarepc.com

jmbear
Apr 12, 2006, 11:14 AM
But...! Woodgrain would look great in my Victorian-era mansion! I could work on it while I sat in my majestic chair in front of the fireplace smoking a pipe and drinking whatever we rich folk drink! Something old from a large barrel! And I would send my butler out to "go to the iTunes store and get me more MP3's" and whatnot, and it'd be MARVELOUS!

ROFL!

Black - We kick the Thinkpad out of the corporate world.
White - For all those designers that like simplicity.
Aluminum - For the rest of us (but another maybe darker aluminum)
Pink - For all the Paris Hilton's out there.

Edit: I doubt Paris Hilton can use a computer, but definitely a joystick!

MacMosher
Apr 12, 2006, 11:19 AM
Someone ought to be demoted back to macrumors newbie. :rolleyes:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryimages/images/galleryLarge/powerbook/carbon.jpg

I agree ... think I might actually choose carbon/black over the white one Apple will offer. (don't think keyboard/trackpad would be white on the black model, tho)

;)

Decisions, decisions!

That does look good... but I was refering to like carbon graphite, like not the colour (yes I spelt it with a "u"), but like the actual material.

Elrond39
Apr 12, 2006, 11:20 AM
I remember this story about an apple patent application two years ago discussing color changing chassis and I believe this LED color changing fiber optics in the translucent iBooks and iMacs. I think the main factor on implementing such a technology would be its impact on battery life. With Apple switching to lower power intel chips, this would be the time to do it. Starting with the iBook would be eye-catching and cause media buzz.

Apple patents 'chameleon' computer case
Posted on Monday, 16 August, 2004 by Steve

The Register has discovered a patent granted to Apple that applies to a machine which can change colour.
...the patent covers "a computing device [which] includes a housing having an illuminable portion. The computing device also includes a light device disposed inside the housing. The light device is configured to illuminate the illuminable portion".

The light source is a collection of red, green and blue LEDs, capable of being used to generate any colour entered as an RGB value.

Might this be a feature of the next generation of iMac? At this stage, it's too early to say. Having maintained a single colour scheme - white and chrome - for its consumer computers, Apple may now be looking at returning to the iMac's most successful period, when the machine shipped in a range of bright colours.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/16/apple_colour_patent/

Am I completely off-base, or do I seem to remember something about color-shifting from months ago... imagine if the exterior casing of the MacBook was color-shiftable... Buy it in White or Black, and then color-shift on a picture/pattern/different color. Don't know about the feasibility, but would make Apple by far the most ingenious laptop-maker: give everyone what they want without increasing your own costs. At least they should consider it for the light-up Apple logo

I knew I wasn't completely off-base with that one.:D

briansolomon
Apr 12, 2006, 11:22 AM
They were able to do the Mini IPod in aluminum with colors that withstood scratches well. Why not do the same thing with the MacBook?

I was thinking this, too. I'm definitely in the market for a new MacBook.

(cause while my iBook has lost $1000 worth of value in the last 2 years all the options that made it $1800+ to begin with are all standard now.)

FoxyKaye
Apr 12, 2006, 11:46 AM
Pink! There should be pink one...
Go Bubblegum Pink! Go!

Ryan5505
Apr 12, 2006, 11:58 AM
One issue a lot of people are missing. The iBook is highly used by a lot of college students. As a CPA and Financial advisor I understand what apple wants to do, gain more market share and bring in more income. The key here is marketing more people, especially college students. College students are the key for any business to target, believe it or not, students are going to spend more then anyone in the computer market. If your son or daughter was accepted to Duke, Charlotte, or UVA and of course they need a notebook. So you would let them get an apple b/c of course they are the best, and they would want it b/c it is their favorite color. iBooks are consumer PCs, where the MacBook/Powerbook is the professional machine. I could care less what the ibook/macbook color is, but the promachines should be pro colors, black and silver. Color iBooks are a key for apple to increase market share from the current 4% to 6-8% with the colors.

MacBook Pro-Professional Colors

Macbooks/iBooks-solid slick colors (blue, green, red, white, and pink) For college students and high school.

moesker007
Apr 12, 2006, 11:59 AM
I think that this isn't a great thing nor a horrible thing. When I bought an iPod Mini, I had the selection of colors but i still ended up buying the silver becuase, in my opinion, the other colros were too "girly" If these new MacBooks have less pastel-ish type of color i would maybe get a colored one if not i'm sure they will "never" get rid of the white and it will always be an option, all the consumer mac products are white and i think they will stay with that for a while. They didn't introduce any color other then black or white for the nano which "replaced" the mini. Just my 2. All I want is for them to come out!!!

P.S. Anyone want to buy an iBook G4 como drive 1.33 40Gb?

Ryan5505
Apr 12, 2006, 12:00 PM
One issue a lot of people are missing. The iBook is highly used by a lot of college students. As a CPA and Financial advisor I understand what apple wants to do, gain more market share and bring in more income. The key here is marketing more people, especially college students. College students are the key for any business to target, believe it or not, students are going to spend more then anyone in the computer market. If your son or daughter was accepted to Duke, Charlotte, or UVA and of course they need a notebook. So you would let them get an apple b/c of course they are the best, and they would want it b/c it is their favorite color. iBooks are consumer PCs, where the MacBook/Powerbook is the professional machine. I could care less what the ibook/macbook color is, but the promachines should be pro colors, black and silver. Color iBooks are a key for apple to increase market share from the current 4% to 6-8% with the colors.

MacBook Pro-Professional Colors

Macbooks/iBooks-solid slick colors (blue, green, red, white, and pink) For college students and high school.

macgeek2005
Apr 12, 2006, 12:04 PM
Check this out:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventoryImages/images/intel_mac_mini.jpg

There's this company called ColorWare that gives quality professional paint jobs to your Mac or iPod when you send it in. There's a huge selection of tones to choose from... you can even choose two tones. It's cost me a steep $399, but I'm VERY happy with my shiny black iBook G4. Not something you see everyday! Mine also doesn't scratch very easily.

http://www.colorwarepc.com

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But do you have to buy the computer from them? Or can you send in one that you already have, and they'll coat it?

Doctor Q
Apr 12, 2006, 12:13 PM
Have you all forgotten the patent that the computer can "change" the colors by using LEDs under the plastic. Like the on light is green and the sleep is yellow. This is just the hole computer.

Think new, think better.I for one haven't forgotten that patent, and still wonder if and when Apple will make use of it. I'd love to have a Mac whose case color changes under computer control.

moesker007
Apr 12, 2006, 12:15 PM
Macgeek...you cna just send them in to them i am pretty sure it's kinda spendy but worth it, i'm pretty positive it dosen't void the warrenty either cuz they don't open it. I was going to get my ipod done but ended up not doing it cuz of the $$

Enigmac
Apr 12, 2006, 12:17 PM
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But do you have to buy the computer from them? Or can you send in one that you already have, and they'll coat it?

Yes you can do both! ;) You can either send in your own mac, or purchase a new pre-coated mac from them. It's pretty sweet.

MacH4X0r
Apr 12, 2006, 12:20 PM
Here's my MacBookPro:

http://www.macstyles.com/actionblog/photos/kyle2.jpg
http://www.macstyles.com/actionblog/photos/kyle1.jpg

mongoos150
Apr 12, 2006, 12:32 PM
I'm in college - I wouldn't be caught dead with a brightly colored MacBook.

macgeek2005
Apr 12, 2006, 12:36 PM
OMG, I'm getting my iPod photo done RED, and the dock too, and the earbuds BLACK. WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS BEFORE.

Demon Hunter
Apr 12, 2006, 12:58 PM
For the love of god, no colors! :mad:

Get a ColorWare!

And for those who want an "aluminum colored" MacBook: sorry chaps, that would be marketing suicide. Ain't gonna happen.

Elrond39
Apr 12, 2006, 01:35 PM
Here's my MacBookPro:

http://www.macstyles.com/actionblog/photos/kyle2.jpg
http://www.macstyles.com/actionblog/photos/kyle1.jpg

Not something I would get, but sure looks smooth :) Where/how'd you get it done?

besiktas jk
Apr 12, 2006, 01:41 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the current white plastic form of ibook is simply great ? I think white color really makes this laptop look different than other usual pc's which have typically black or silver gray color. So I want the new macbook to differ only in its screen size and configuration. I'm looking forward to seeing a 999$ white plastic 13.3" macbook with 1.67Ghz Core Duo, hopefully in April.

MacMosher
I for one haven't forgotten that patent, and still wonder if and when Apple will make use of it. I'd love to have a Mac whose case color changes under computer control.
Holy crap, thats really cool. So does that mean you could change the colour of your computer just like you could change the colour of your background?

I understand that you wont be able to put like images but just the color would be killer. Do they have a translucent case and then just your able to change the colour via LED's?

mmmcheese
I didn't bother reading the thread, so someone may have already said this, but iBooks already come in ALL colours....you know...white being all colours combined and all...

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
Anyone want to buy an iBook G4 como drive 1.33 40Gb?
I think you'll be better off pawning your wares on ebay than on us folk who have all the inside information. The most anyone here will give you is $200, but on ebay you may get close to list price... :rolleyes:

I'm in college - I wouldn't be caught dead with a brightly colored MacBook.
I've been out of college for over a decade, and I wouldn't be caught dead with a brightly colored MacBook, either. :p

macgeek2005
Apr 12, 2006, 02:03 PM
Yes you can do both! ;) You can either send in your own mac, or purchase a new pre-coated mac from them. It's pretty sweet.

When you get it coated, can you tell that it's thicker? Is the coating noticable at all? Or is it just perfectly done, so all you see is the color change?

quigleybc
Apr 12, 2006, 02:13 PM
As long as they don't axe the white version, I don't care if the macbook comes out in polka dots....:cool:

asphalt-proof
Apr 12, 2006, 02:18 PM
I would think that it would be a logistical nightmare trying to guess which color would be the best seller, the next best seller, and so on and trying to build accordingly. Isn't this one reason the colored iMacs were discontinued? It would seem like a retro move by Apple and one that would invite comparisons to the original iMacs along with sales comparisons. Comparisons that my not be very flattering to Apple. But who knows. I mean, surely Apple would never do anything contrary to conventional thought like switching proc...er, allowing dual booting with Windo....umm oh never mind.

Surreal
Apr 12, 2006, 02:51 PM
Here's my MacBookPro:

to reiterate;how did you do that?

but more specificallly, how much did that cost to get your logo on there.

Inquisit
Apr 12, 2006, 02:57 PM
Maybe before color, we should discuss material and finish? Metal or plastic or even composite? Some sort of matte finish or glossy? I think brand strategy and marketing is going to fuel these choices for Apple, obviously.

CubaTBird
Apr 12, 2006, 03:20 PM
apple... no, just... don't...

appleguyincbus
Apr 12, 2006, 03:27 PM
at this point it's all rumors..... but it sure looks like macbook is going to be the fun/college/geared towards girlie machine and the macbookpro is the serious geared toward the biz crowd...

My only complaint will be if the 12 Powerbook is lost in the shuffle. If they don't make a MBP 12inch it will drive us a bunch of us to DELL. Hard to take a "fun" machine into a boardroom.

Doctor Q
Apr 12, 2006, 03:33 PM
Holy crap, thats really cool. So does that mean you could change the colour of your computer just like you could change the colour of your background?

I understand that you wont be able to put like images but just the color would be killer. Do they have a translucent case and then just your able to change the colour via LED's?They might have no plans at all in this area. They might have plans to work on this invention soon, or some day. They might have it working in the R&D lab. Or they might have Macs with this feature already on trucks, ready to arrive at Apple Stores, and be poised to announce them tomorrow. All we know is that Apple has a patent in the area, which sparked our speculation.

The idea seems basically simple. LEDs around the outside of the Mac allow programmable color in the enclosure. It could be limited to one color at a time for reasons of technology or economics, but we can't rule out the possibility of cases with "addressable" LEDs so that different areas, or even different pixels, could be controlled by the computer.

The ideas for practical use of such a feature are limited only by our imaginations. For starters, you could set it to your favorite color instead of making a permanent choice of color at time of purchase. Your case color could be varied to suit your mood. Your entire Mac could blink to tell you that a dialog box is waiting for you to click something. Your Mac could be used as a traffic signal. Your Mac could play that "Simon Says" game by changing colors in a pattern and asking you to replay the sequence. Your Mac could display your favorite photo on the outside of the enclosure. Your Mac could change colors in time to the music you are playing. Your Mac could use a camera to detect the color around it and try to blend in!

hulugu
Apr 12, 2006, 03:57 PM
Anyone ever used a BLACK laptop? Just curious what that is like compared to the white iBooks? Any preferences? I want to be ready to purchase the day these are released and will drive over to my Apple Store to pick one up. I'll probably stick to white, but want to consider other possibilities, if they may exist.

I had a G3 Powerbook and I named it "Darth." There was only one problem:

it was evil.

jabooth
Apr 12, 2006, 04:15 PM
The ideas for practical use of such a feature are limited only by our imaginations. For starters, you could set it to your favorite color instead of making a permanent choice of color at time of purchase. Your case color could be varied to suit your mood. Your entire Mac could blink to tell you that a dialog box is waiting for you to click something. Your Mac could be used as a traffic signal. Your Mac could play that "Simon Says" game by changing colors in a pattern and asking you to replay the sequence. Your Mac could display your favorite photo on the outside of the enclosure. Your Mac could change colors in time to the music you are playing. Your Mac could use a camera to detect the color around it and try to blend in!

... and all at a massive cost in battery life. Surely I can't be the only one thinking this is absurd. One of the biggest gripes people have with laptops is the battery life. You really think apple's gonna just throw away more life by adding light up cases?

I'm not saying the ibook has bad battery life (quite on the contrary) but surely more is always better.

Once were using fuel cells and your laptop only needs refuelling after a few weeks - great. :cool: But for now, I can't see this being feasible.

Am I getting this right - the LED's would surely have to be powered all the time, right?

jap4n
Apr 12, 2006, 04:50 PM

exactly... girls love the pink

Doctor Q
Apr 12, 2006, 04:57 PM
... and all at a massive cost in battery life. Surely I can't be the only one thinking this is absurd. One of the biggest gripes people have with laptops is the battery life. You really think apple's gonna just throw away more life by adding light up cases?No, I think technology like this, if used at all, will be for desktop systems.

jap4n
Apr 12, 2006, 05:10 PM
Pink would go over like making it out of diamond stamp stick with the white and black (black would pretty much make it the sexiest compuuter alive)

why do you people talk about computers like that... "sexiest computer alive" - would you actually have sex with a computer?

gross...

MacMosher
Apr 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
They might have no plans at all in this area. They might have plans to work on this invention soon, or some day. They might have it working in the R&D lab. Or they might have Macs with this feature already on trucks, ready to arrive at Apple Stores, and be poised to announce them tomorrow. All we know is that Apple has a patent in the area, which sparked our speculation.

The idea seems basically simple. LEDs around the outside of the Mac allow programmable color in the enclosure. It could be limited to one color at a time for reasons of technology or economics, but we can't rule out the possibility of cases with "addressable" LEDs so that different areas, or even different pixels, could be controlled by the computer.

Wow thats very interesting and a brillant Idea. However I can't picture having LED's create a photo or anything of the sort... I meant that would High Definition LED's you might as well have the whole thing covered in LCD's ahah.

Thanks for the information though,

Mark

BillyShears
Apr 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
They might have no plans at all in this area. They might have plans to work on this invention soon, or some day. They might have it working in the R&D lab. Or they might have Macs with this feature already on trucks, ready to arrive at Apple Stores, and be poised to announce them tomorrow. All we know is that Apple has a patent in the area, which sparked our speculation.

I don't understand the desire to change case colours dynamically. All of those things you suggested could be done with a normal screen, except changing the colour of casing. If you want to change the colour of casing, you could get a replacement case. The other ideas are basically putting another screen on the computer, and I don't really see the point. Maybe that's just me.

Don't they apply a lot of their patents to other products to help cover up their plans? I think they patented the iPod scroll wheel for a mouse originally. That might be a more interesting field of speculation, but even there I'm at a loss. This might just be a go-nowhere patent.

jap4n
Apr 12, 2006, 05:15 PM

"i" could be for intel!

youre prolly right about ibook being the continued name tho.

daysleeper
Apr 12, 2006, 05:26 PM
Wood grain with chrome and leopard-print detailing-- bring it on, Steve!

Seriously, black and white. That's it.

CompUser
Apr 12, 2006, 05:36 PM
OH YEA, BRING ON THE FLOWER POWER MACBOOK BOOK PRO.

Or will it just be the Flower MacBook Pro because apple doesn't like the word "power" anymore.

This is my wonderful creation made using photoshop:

pjkelnhofer
Apr 12, 2006, 05:37 PM
I looked and it doesn't look like anyone has mentioned Colorware (http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/select_iBook.aspx) yet.

Caitlyn
Apr 12, 2006, 05:38 PM
I think the only colors should be the white and black--similar to those of the iPod Videos and Nanos. Other than that, color can be a turn-off as it looks..."childish"? :rolleyes: It might make people think their machine can't be a powerhouse if it's "cute". Know what I mean?

yac_moda
Apr 12, 2006, 06:04 PM
The reason they are so quite about it is because ITS GOING TO BE GREAT ...

... Transparent Aluminum :eek: :eek: :eek:

requies
Apr 12, 2006, 06:21 PM
i think apple is gearing up for this product to really take off.

i expect some compromises (like GMA950) to help it hit a low price point, but i think tastefully done colors would certainly be welcome. it should be offered in black, at the very least. (speaking of which... how sweet would a glossy black imac be?! i'd be all over that in an instant.)

-k

edit: i just checked out the colorware site again and they do offer imacs, but i find the white highlights that remain too white. my two cents! :)

askegg
Apr 12, 2006, 09:05 PM
I like the idea of colours for the MacBooks. I am sure my wife and daughter would love a pretty coloured machine. Me? I will stick to white or aluminium.

With some mobile phones you are able to swap the exterior casing and give it almost any appearance you wish. This has spawned an entire industry building different cases for these phones.

It would be interesting if Apple did the same thing with the MacBook. A few clicks and the case covers come off, and just clip on the new one. Brand new, customised, personalised laptop!

bill4588
Apr 12, 2006, 09:12 PM
i dont care what other colors they offer as long as theres a white, black, or aluminum color.

shen
Apr 12, 2006, 09:28 PM
not sure if it is one one of the pages i skipped, but what ever happened to the rumor about a casing that could change colors? do i want my entire laptop to pulse light blue when i get email?

...maybe.... maybe..... :D

Doctor Q
Apr 12, 2006, 09:55 PM
not sure if it is one one of the pages i skipped, but what ever happened to the rumor about a casing that could change colors?I guess you forgot to bookmark this link from over 3 years ago:Apple Patent: Dynamic Ornamental Appearance (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/12/20021227191929.shtml)The electronic device may be configured to provide additional feedback to the user of the electronic device and to give users the ability to personalize or change the look of their electronic device on an on-going basis. That is, a housing of the electronic device is active rather than passive, i.e., the housing has the ability to adapt and change. For example, the light may be used to exhibit a housing behavior that reflects the desires or moods of the user, that reflects inputs or outputs for the electronic device, or that reacts to tasks or events associated with operation of the electronic device.
But note that this is a side discussion, and there is no rumor that this technology is at last to see the light of day. If Macbooks become available in colors, you will very likely make your choice at time of purchase, not in a control panel.

Paulhammer
Apr 12, 2006, 10:27 PM
first post!

Long time lurker, figured i'd jump in on this...

I think colored MacBooks (yes they will be called MacBooks) would FLY off the shelves... of course there would be leftovers of the less popular colors, but then again i know a few people who sold their grey Razr to get the black or pink ones....

If they had black and white as the standard options, then a couple 'seasonal' colours that changed occasionally, i think the crowd that wants the newest, hippest thing would jump on it.

Personally, i'd like one in a gunmetal type color (greyish, silverish, brownish sort of)

Ryan5505
Apr 12, 2006, 11:55 PM
Apple is a business, and YES APPLE WOULD MAKE MONEY CREATING A COLOR MACBOOK. Why are some of you mad about different color macbooks? It is business, apple is a business which would like to gain more market share and create more positive cash flow. Someone mentioned the Motorola Razr, have you seen the Verizon website the pink razr is out of stock. All over university campuses people want to be different and will choose something to be different. Apple is going to cash in on the color market. Students will choose color macbooks to be different and its not like the iBooks are great machines and if you are a pro user why do you even care what the macbooks look like b/c its available today in silver. I dont want a color computer I love the silver look. Adding color adds character, and I as a CPA and Finacial advisor would not look at any of my associates differently if we were in the boardroom and a keynote or PowerPoint presentations was being processed off of a pink iBook. I know inside that colorful box lies a powerful great machine.
Hopefully apple will gain more market share with the advancements with the Intel, boot camp, and possibly a color macbook. The snap on covers are probably the worst idea I have ever heard of. Do you really want to go out to Wal-Mart and buy a new cheap looking wood grain cover to Snap on to the worlds best computer. You might as well build a computer with legos or Nokia phone parts.

mackeeper
Apr 13, 2006, 01:11 AM
The new color/material will be a brand new transition metal Apple discovers called Appleium.

Heb1228
Apr 13, 2006, 01:23 AM
My guess is the vast majority of people who would want colored MacBooks are not the type to post in MacRumors forums... or ever visit the site period.

I think there are a lot of people out there that would buy them.

Macnoviz
Apr 13, 2006, 03:22 AM
That is my one criticism here. Targeting females seems to have necessarily translated into funky colors. I don't really get that at all. Sure, not many businessmen are just dying to have a computer that stands out like a sore thumb at the office. But, for that matter, neither do businesswomen! I don't mean to stereotype, but this reminds me of the girl in "Legally Blond," you know, with the pink laptop and all. It's importatnt to capture that market too, but you don't want to make it your label, your flag and all. The Macs are industry strength and graceful about it - seems like calm and sleek should also be an image touted by these MB's. As an option there should be colors...not like advertising just the colors sort of thing, like with that old "Yum" poster.

Ferrari's are red, and apples are white. It'd be interesting to see what happens as Apples have more freedom but less uniform of a heads-up style.

Wasn't that the orange iBook?
Actually, that movie was when I fell in love with Apple design

Piarco
Apr 13, 2006, 04:07 AM
I looked and it doesn't look like anyone has mentioned Colorware (http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/select_iBook.aspx) yet.

They did - on page 5 of the thread.

If there are to be colours I'm sure it'll only be white and black for the iBook. (maintaining the iLine logic makes sense to me... apart from on thing - If they were keeping it why have the "Pro" on the MBP?) Aluminium only for the MacBook Pros.

ccool2ax
Apr 13, 2006, 08:05 AM
Stage 1: Denial and isolation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model)

Sorry, but that model was intended to describe the process of dying... not grieving. Besides, none of these rumors are based on anything. Notice that no rumors come out until media events are announced? Nobody knew iWeb was coming until it was on the Apple site. Most of these rumors are wishful thinking (cough)ALL THE VIDEO IPOD RUMORS EVER(cough), and some are just annoying (MacBook instead of iBook?)

macFanDave
Apr 13, 2006, 10:23 AM
OH YEA, BRING ON THE FLOWER POWER MACBOOK BOOK PRO.

Or will it just be the Flower MacBook Pro because apple doesn't like the word "power" anymore.

This is my wonderful creation made using photoshop:

Boo-yah! Now, THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!!

JAT
Apr 13, 2006, 12:41 PM
Sorry, but that model was intended to describe the process of dying... not grieving.
It is the progression of a person's grief over dying, or grief over someone else dying. It can't happen after death! (not your own, anyway) Not sure that it applies to Apple over colors since it isn't going to be the death of the company, but the simile was sound in the OP's mind.

I am an older college student. And I would buy a color other than black/white/silver. If it was appropriate to me, perhaps some blue or a design I like. I do like the thought of a MBP in black aluminum instead of silver, though. Keeping the metal finish but black, not changing to a glossy/plasticky look. Colorware's pics look awesome, but not for $450. But I'm most interested in something like the interchangeable case of cell phones or what some have done to current iBooks. I'd probably design or shoot my own. My desktop pics are all photos I've taken, for instance.

Unfortunately, this probably would not translate to the Pro model (whatever names they come up with), and I doubt I will get an iBook-level model. Maybe there will be a good color for my wife when I get her one. I'd really like a Mini in black for my HT, might spend $99 at Colorware to do that.

macgeek2005
Apr 13, 2006, 01:34 PM

How did you have them color the keyboard? According to the pictures on colorwarepc.com they dont color the keyboard. And also, is that a 12" PowerBook or iBook?

Eldentistfuturo
Apr 13, 2006, 05:42 PM
ti book keyboard,, not colored

Ryan5505
Apr 13, 2006, 05:44 PM
Its an iBook, see the WHITE trackpad and the round speakers at the top.

macgeek2005
Apr 13, 2006, 05:52 PM
But how is the keyboard black?

lazyboy922
Apr 13, 2006, 09:53 PM
Like he said, it's a TI keyboard.

maveness
Apr 13, 2006, 10:37 PM
...a consumer MacBook announcement this coming Tuesday, the 18th. Apple's announcing their financials on Wednesday. Given the level of pent-up demand for an iBook replacement, I can easily imagine them adding a comment to their report indicating how the new MacBooks are flying off the shelves in huge numbers after just 24 hours of sales.

Since I'm very eager to have a new laptop when I travel to a conference this coming June, this prediction has a distinct element of wishful thinking.

:o

macgeek2005
Apr 13, 2006, 10:46 PM
Like he said, it's a TI keyboard.

ohhh soo he took that keyboard of his Tibook, and put in on his iBook? That must've taken some skill.

thecheda
Apr 14, 2006, 03:19 AM
Appleinsider revives (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1667) a rumor that Apple may reintroduce colors into the upcoming Intel iBooks (MacBooks)...
good old white or black.

jimN
Apr 14, 2006, 03:38 AM
My guess is the vast majority of people who would want colored MacBooks are not the type to post in MacRumors forums... or ever visit the site period.

That's a good point. People seem to forget that the vast majority of apple owners are people who like the convenience and design of the product and are just the kind of people who don't trawl the internet endlessly debating the wayward speculation about new products. Coloured macbooks would sell well, nothing negative about that (unless you start to worry bout the virus threat that increased market share would inevitably bring).

netdog
Apr 14, 2006, 06:34 AM

I think that for anybody who doesn't need gaming graphics or heavy photoshop/aperture/video editing use, this is going to be THE portable to get. It will run the occasional Windows app under Parallels, and having gone through a massive redesign, is bound to be the most stunning Mac portable we have ever seen.

The only reason that the vast majority of buyers aren't reading this is that so many people will buy them. I expect these to sell like hotcakes among forum posters who don't have massive graphics needs for the following reasons-

Screamingly fast! (except with 3-d)
Drop-dead gorgeous! (the Mac Book Pro is a boring and ugly like most other laptops)
Perfect size for toting from place to place!
Great battery life! (Way better than the PRO line)
Cheap!

This should be the ultimate everyday portable computer. Anybody not doing heavy graphics would be foolish not to buy this if they need a truly portable but useful laptop.

moesker007
Apr 14, 2006, 07:23 PM
I think that for anybody who doesn't need gaming graphics or heavy photoshop/aperture/video editing use, this is going to be THE portable to get. It will run the occasional Windows app under Parallels, and having gone through a massive redesign, is bound to be the most stunning Mac portable we have ever seen.

The only reason that the vast majority of buyers aren't reading this is that so many people will buy them. I expect these to sell like hotcakes among forum posters who don't have massive graphics needs for the following reasons-

Drop-dead gorgeous! (the Mac Book Pro is a boring and ugly like most other laptops)
Cheap!

This should be the ultimate everyday portable computer. Anybody not doing heavy graphics would be foolish not to buy this if they need a truly portable but useful laptop.

I have to say that this is a very good idea lol, i know i sold my iBook G4 just this morning so i am ready for the new macbooks! Because i'm not a gamer the graphcis dosen't bother me but as long as it's fast and nice looking it's THE laptop to buy i love apple! lol

macgeek2005
Apr 14, 2006, 08:30 PM
I'm thinking of buying my friends 600mhz G3 iBook when she upgrades to a MacBook... how much do you think those are worth? Everything is as it was when it was new (no upgrades) except for the ram, which was upped to 384mb. What do you think? I offered $400.

GhostFace
Apr 14, 2006, 08:34 PM
I think it would be cool for it to come in different colors.

DeVizardofOZ
Apr 15, 2006, 08:35 AM
ANODIZE them, Stephen.

The Macs are made of Aluminum alloy, so they could be colored in a number of nice shades on pre-order thru the company that makes the nice Apple
:pcontainers:D before the intestines and screen is added...

The colors are yellow, green, blue, purple, red, Orange, and ?. Don't know if one can actually anodize black and white, but gunmetal sure. Looks great.

Like someone in this thread already said, they would go like hotcakes.
Question: Why is Harley-Davidson a success? No, not because it's the best, but because you can individualize the piece!! Who wants to be different?
EVERYBODY!

I want a yellow one......., no maybe orange (?) Ghee, wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a choice, even if ihave to pay extra and wait a bit longer?

netdog
Apr 15, 2006, 09:20 AM
I liked the plastic white ones myself (the initial shape and plastic series that came right after the clamshell). Now a Tangerine plastic Core Duo iBook like that would be swell. The metal ones are ugly to me, and given my brother's experiences that I have witnessed, the metal ones seem to be a lot more fragile.

MacMosher
Apr 15, 2006, 09:25 AM

Cheap!

I agree 110%

seenew
Apr 15, 2006, 11:44 AM
Nintendo is releasing their Revolution system in glossy colors, I think I'd like a MacBook along the same lines..

Even though I'll probably get a white Revolution! :P

dubnluvn
Apr 15, 2006, 12:27 PM
I wanna Black iMac!!

BillyShears
Apr 15, 2006, 11:24 PM
Sorry, but that model was intended to describe the process of dying... not grieving.

Grieving over the process of death. In your case, the "death" of the iBook name.

Besides, none of these rumors are based on anything. Notice that no rumors come out until media events are announced? Nobody knew iWeb was coming until it was on the Apple site. Most of these rumors are wishful thinking (cough)ALL THE VIDEO IPOD RUMORS EVER(cough), ...

It's not "just" a rumour without basis, it's the logical conclusion of known facts.

Steve Jobs has said they want "Mac" in every product name. (This would probably only apply to their computers, since those are called "Macs" -- i.e. there would not be "MacPods" unless that is a new line of computers.)
The pro line is called "MacBook Pro."

... and some are just annoying (MacBook instead of iBook?)

Does being annoyed qualify as anger? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model)

Predictions:

Bargaining. MacBooks are released. "Just let me buy one with 'iBook' written on it!"
Depression. Apple rejects desparate pleas. "I can't bear to face buying a MacBook, putting my family through this."
Acceptance. Buys MacBook. "I'm ready, I don't want to struggle anymore."

mpw
Apr 16, 2006, 04:50 AM
...It's not "just" a rumour without basis, it's the logical conclusion of known facts.

Steve Jobs has said they want "Mac" in every product name. (This would probably only apply to their computers, since those are called "Macs" -- i.e. there would not be "MacPods" unless that is a new line of computers.)
The pro line is called "MacBook Pro."
Not that I think it likely but the Apple 'had' to drop the Power from the PowerBook when the dropped the 'Power'PC chip inside. The iBook does not need to drop its recognized brand i branding so maybe well see the Mac-iBook, which would allow there to be a Windows-iBook too in the future.

AidenShaw
Apr 16, 2006, 10:05 AM
Not that I think it likely but the Apple 'had' to drop the Power from the PowerBook when the dropped the 'Power'PC chip inside. The iBook does not need to drop its recognized brand i branding so maybe well see the Mac-iBook, which would allow there to be a Windows-iBook too in the future.
http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=100&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC

PowerBook 100

CPU: Motorola MC68HC000
CPU Speed: 16 MHz
Bus Speed: 16 MHz
Data Path: 16 bit
ROM: 256 kB
RAM Type: unique
Minimum RAM Speed: 100 ns
Onboard RAM: 2 MB
RAM slots: 1
Maximum RAM: 8 MB
Introduced: October 1991
Terminated: August 1992

They didn't *have* to because "PowerBook" implies "PowerPC", that's for certain.

benbridle38
Apr 16, 2006, 12:35 PM
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4145/ibookminiri3zd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mpw
Apr 16, 2006, 02:16 PM
...They didn't *have* to because "PowerBook" implies "PowerPC", that's for certain.
Bang goes that theory then, I never liked the idea anyways.:o

I like the iBook mini R1 above

Bern
Apr 16, 2006, 04:09 PM
Like I said in another thread, I'm hoping the new Macbook will handle Adobe/Macromedia suite well. When I upgrade next year I have some apps that will have to upgraded as well and that's going to cost mega bucks.

As for the colour idea... well why not. Not sure I'd like to see a black iBook/MacBook though.

No doubt Apple will call it a MacBook, it has nothing to do with dropping the PPC chip Steve has already stated several times they want to incorporate the "Mac" name into their brand.

tobiax
Apr 25, 2006, 09:13 AM
Seems Apple's a day late on this one, even if they were the creative geniuses behind the concept back in the 90's: http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/select_iBook.aspx#gallery

Obviously, Apple's MacBook will be crisper in design (like the Pro), and have better specs than these, the old/current iBook - but it still takes the fuzz out of the whole thing.

SamJ
Apr 25, 2006, 09:36 AM
black yes, white, yes, darker silver yes...

u no what would look cool, the macbook with same gloss exterior but coloured in gradient. Nothing stupid like yellow and blue, but a gradual change down the laptop like a aluminium to white or a black to a darker shade of grey. Now that would look very cool

DeVizardofOZ
Apr 26, 2006, 08:07 AM
With all due respect SamJ, but why limit the colors of a MacBook to shades of grey and black? Tht's boring...:(

I already wrote in this thread, that ALUMINUM (ALUMINIUM) can be ANODIZED in almost any color. I'd like mine in gunmetal, UPS blackbrown, or orange.

Whatever, I think the iBooks could com in colors, because the plastic material can be colored any way you like. The MacBook Pro, however, can only be painted:confused:, or better anodized.

By the way, the new 17" MBP looks great, and comes with everything, except Modem:p .

shanmui1
Apr 26, 2006, 08:24 AM
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4145/ibookminiri3zd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

An IntelInside label on a macbook????? grrrrrrrrrr

bloodycape
Apr 26, 2006, 07:03 PM
I'd like to see a black or red carbon fiber apple laptop like Acer has on their Ferrari and Lamborgini line of laptops.
Something like this but in a more modern apple way of doing it http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2005/dt/39273115/notebooksc.jpg

bloodycape
Apr 26, 2006, 07:07 PM
nope - bad idea. i doubt this will come to fruition anyway. Apple stopped making coloured items after axing the ipod mini.

aussie_geek

Wasn't it acutally after they stopped making the U2 edition 4G ipods?