PDA

View Full Version : Can't access wireless network on my ibook G4!

gemlefab
Apr 12, 2006, 05:59 AM
Having a problem and it's driving me mad.

I have an ibook g4 with built-in airport and a virgin.net broadband connection. I recently bought a compatible Belkin high speed wireless router and followed the instructions for configuring it to the letter.

There is nothing wrong with my airport as I can connect wirelessly to the web using someone else's network and I know that the ibook can 'find' the router as it shows up in the list of networks.

I added the details of my ISP during the configuration of my router, accessing it with 192.168.2.1.

However, if connect to my own network, despite having a full signal, I cannot access the web. WHHHY?

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated! :confused:

Eraserhead
Apr 12, 2006, 06:13 AM
I guess 192.168.2.1 is the IP address of the router itself? You don't use that IP address to access your ISP, as it is only usable on a local network.

Basically the router should have 2 IP addressess, the 192.168.x.x one is the local one, and if Virgin give you a fixed IP address you should type that in as the remote one on the router, otherwise you will have a dynamic (Changing) IP address from virgin, this changes each time you connect to the internet, this should be an option in the router configuration.

dops7107
Apr 12, 2006, 06:17 AM
Do you have any security settings on the network? I had trouble configuring a G3 iMac to deal with WPA encryption - in fact it just wouldn't work at all. See if you can get it to work with no encryption first, if you suspect that may be the problem.

dizzyiris
Apr 12, 2006, 06:21 PM
might wonna get airpot extreme