PDA

View Full Version : Logo Feedaback | Critique Please...

digitalrebelxt
Apr 12, 2006, 10:47 AM
I am designing a logo for our new company and would like some feedback on the design, The company is a retail development company

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Matthew

http://www.shanegroup.net/img/dover.png

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 12, 2006, 11:13 AM
Clean, simple, modern. I like it. :cool:

Now, the company name, on the other hand... don't know if eroding cliffs is the best name for a development company... :D

ATD
Apr 12, 2006, 11:17 AM
Very nice.

digitalrebelxt
Apr 12, 2006, 11:18 AM
Now, the company name, on the other hand... don't know if eroding cliffs is the best name for a development company... :D

The boss picked the name, its catching but I get where you are coming from haha.

Thank you for your comment!

kretzy
Apr 12, 2006, 11:27 AM
I really like the design. It's clean, simple and professional looking. All of the letters are nicely spaces and the font is good. I can't decide which one I like best though...probably the middle one because I like a bit of colour, the last one also frames it nicely.

Nice work!

digitalrebelxt
Apr 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
The custom R? I think that whole letter sets off the design, its unique.

kretzy
Apr 12, 2006, 11:32 AM
The custom R? I think that whole letter sets off the design, its unique.
Can't say I noticed it. I just thought it was part of the font. :o

digitalrebelxt
Apr 12, 2006, 11:33 AM
Can't say I noticed it. I just thought it was part of the font. :o

The font is Gill Sans, with custom spacing and sizes.

Josh
Apr 12, 2006, 11:36 AM
That's very nice - very professional.

I can't offer any critique/criticism, just a big "good job!"

dornoforpyros
Apr 12, 2006, 11:51 AM
yup, theres not really anything to say accept good job!

Doctor Q
Apr 12, 2006, 12:05 PM
I like it too. Clean and professional.

Nevertheless, I tried an experiment, to tie the slanted line of the V or R into the cliff shape, and see if it would be an eye-catching improvement or a detriment to the tidy look.

Here's my quick-and-dirty mockup. Overall, I think it's not an improvement over your original, but it was worth a try. And if the idea is of any value to you, be my guest.

digitalrebelxt
Apr 12, 2006, 12:11 PM
Nevertheless, I tried an experiment, to tie the slanted line of the V or R into the cliff shape, and see if it would be an eye-catching improvement or a detriment to the tidy look.

Here's my quick-and-dirty mockup. Overall, I think it's not an improvement over your original, but it was worth a try. And if the idea is of any value to you, be my guest.

Thank you for your idea, I tried that, just couldn't make it work or look right.

ChicoWeb
Apr 12, 2006, 03:23 PM
What if you pushed the name together and made the CLIFF bold. I think that would look SUPER!

besler3035
Apr 12, 2006, 04:02 PM
I like it too. Clean and professional.

I think that the new mock-up is a little too much; I like the original quite a bit more actually, and I wouldn't change it at all. The R is actually a nice touch I think.

WildCowboy
Apr 12, 2006, 04:06 PM
What about using Comic Sans...in pink. :p

But seriously, I think it looks good...nice and clean.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 12, 2006, 04:11 PM
What about using Comic Sans...in pink. :p I don't know... not everyone gets that (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2308817#post2308817)...

:D

WildCowboy
Apr 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
I don't know... not everyone gets that (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2308817#post2308817)...

:D

I know...that's what planted the seed in my head. Thanks. ;)

the-hen
Apr 13, 2006, 03:12 AM
I find the logo to be very easy on the eye, and it does well to aviod cumbersome details or being overdeveloped...

MacBoobsPro
Apr 13, 2006, 07:09 AM
I am designing a logo for our new company and would like some feedback on the design, The company is a retail development company

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Matthew

http://www.shanegroup.net/img/dover.png

Looks very good. But there is one thing that bugs me a little... the 'R' I think the top curve (the bowl I think its called) IMO should protrude out a little more to ALMOST not exactly align with the bottom of the diagonal leg. Thats only my first impression so it may even look crap but give it go if you agree.

As it stands the 'R' looks a little bit squashed at the top, thats just my opinion but very nice job nonetheless.

dogbone
Apr 13, 2006, 07:55 AM
Excellent design. The only criticism I'd make is the length of the word 'development', maybe it should be the full width of the logo. However I tried it filling the width but it looks a bit too spaced out. I suppose you already went down this path.

What I particularly like about the concept is that the graphic brings to mind seagulls at first then the cliffs. And seagulls and cliffs seem to go together. Very clever.

Josh
Apr 13, 2006, 08:03 AM
Perhaps it is just me, but I've always found it rude when other people make changes to someone else's artwork, and then upload it without being asked to do so.

nbs2
Apr 13, 2006, 09:25 AM
Perhaps it is just me, but I've always found it rude when other people make changes to someone else's artwork, and then upload it without being asked to do so.
I think that I might agree with you on some occasions, especially if someone is showing off their completed magnum opus. But, when you ask for feedback and critiques, I find it helpful. Being told what might be better changed is good, but giving a quick mockup of what you are trying to put into words is even better. Even in law, where everything you do is words, it is nice to have your boss give you a sample of what he was looking for rather than being abstract.

Besides, they weren't defacing it and reposting it...it was constructive.

dornoforpyros
Apr 13, 2006, 10:07 AM
I think that I might agree with you on some occasions, especially if someone is showing off their completed magnum opus. But, when you ask for feedback and critiques, I find it helpful. Being told what might be better changed is good, but giving a quick mockup of what you are trying to put into words is even better. Even in law, where everything you do is words, it is nice to have your boss give you a sample of what he was looking for rather than being abstract.

Besides, they weren't defacing it and reposting it...it was constructive.

ditto, you ask for critique your opening yourself up for other peoples suggestions & mock ups. This isn't the "everyone's a winner" forum.

revenuee
Apr 13, 2006, 10:21 AM
What about using Comic Sans...in pink. :p

But seriously, I think it looks good...nice and clean.

To you my friend, all i have to say is

http://bancomicsans.com/

LOL

backupdrummer
Apr 13, 2006, 10:38 AM
Crisp and clean. A very sharp design. There are 3 things that I think would benefit from being experimented with.

First, the spacing seems a little cramped I would say that the wording and the Cliff icon need to be spread out a little more.

Second, Cliffs make me think vertical but the logo is very horozontal. The result is that icon looks more like a slope instead of a cliff I would look at making the icon more vertical and sharp.

Thridly, there is something about the font used on "Dover Cliff" that keeps standing out to me. It maybe the wide instead of tall nature to it. I am really having a hard time trying to vocalize what it is that is bothering me. Something about it just doesnt jive with the imagery above it. The "Development" portion is perfect.

nbs2
Apr 13, 2006, 10:55 AM
I just reread my post while looking for other mockups, and I realized I never gave my uneducated-but-still-better-than-most-people-like-me-because-I-know-that-I-do-not-know opinion.

I like the way the the logos look. I especially like how the black will look on simple documents and such and the box that frames the logo. My only issue is that the second looks very soft when "inside the white box". The logo looks like it is weak - if they are co-sponsoring/in a joint venture they will be the overmatched weak logo. I know that it is the same color as the box in the third (at least I think it is), but for some reason the box is fine while the no-box isn't. But, I love the look - that was my first thought from when I opened the thread.

Going back to the idea of mockups, I don't know how backupdrummer sees the logo looking - I can't visualize it. But, I would imagine that the logo for a development company will primarily be on construction billboards and letterhead. The wide stance feels filling - vertical logos that I see occasionally (Baltimore is rebuilding a lot of downtown) look kind of squashed. Even on the vertical banners, I prefer the strength of the horizontal over the flimsy vertical logos.

backupdrummer
Apr 13, 2006, 02:38 PM
Going back to the idea of mockups, I don't know how backupdrummer sees the logo looking - I can't visualize it. But, I would imagine that the logo for a development company will primarily be on construction billboards and letterhead. The wide stance feels filling - vertical logos that I see occasionally (Baltimore is rebuilding a lot of downtown) look kind of squashed. Even on the vertical banners, I prefer the strength of the horizontal over the flimsy vertical logos.

The "development" spaced out and wide is a perfect style for relaying a solid and established feel I think that is dead on for a construction company. My comments about the horozontal feel was mainly directed at the imagery of the cliffs. They have a flattened quality and it seems inconsistent with the idea of cliffs. Typography is one of my weakest skills, but i look at the "Dover..." font and it looks a little a little weak and feminine when compared to the cliff image.

I think you are dead on about it looking weak. I agree that it just needs to be made a little more solid.

Doctor Q
Apr 13, 2006, 04:02 PM
Perhaps it is just me, but I've always found it rude when other people make changes to someone else's artwork, and then upload it without being asked to do so.You are apparently referring to me and/or dogbone. If "a picture is worth 1,000 words" then I think a mock-up conveys a suggestion better than words do. digitalrebelxt said please in the thread title and thanks in a post, so he apparently didn't consider our suggestions, with mock-ups, to be rude.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 13, 2006, 04:11 PM
I agree with the good Doctor. The OP asked for feedback | critique and alterations are well within what has to be expected once you've done that. If you think there's something that could make the logo better then it's much easier to make a quick mock-up then to try explaining the idea with words. The OP doesn't have to make the changes, of course, but s/he might get some new impulses that could make the final logo better. How is this rude?

Demon Hunter
Apr 13, 2006, 07:23 PM
Kick ass design! Top-notch!