Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumbletum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
I've just installed XP, and the only thing I don't like is that I've got a new icon on my OSX desktop. Is there any way of hiding just this icon from view? Also its currently called 'untitled', can I change this to something else without effecting my XP setup?

Thanks

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
Here is what the rest of my desktop looks like... if anyone is interested :eek:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 768

JayMak

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2006
I guess you have a FAT32 partition?

I can't seem to change the name of a NTFS one here...

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Electro Funk said:
Hmmm... so if you unmount it you can write to it under NTFS?

I did not know that...

I'm pretty sure he's saying he unmounts it so it doesn't show up on the desktop. If I wanted to hide my NTFS partition, I'd load Windows, rename the drive .Windows and it wouldn't show up on the desktop when loading OSX. I do believe it'd still show in the sidebar of Finder windows though.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ManchesterTrix said:
I'm pretty sure he's saying he unmounts it so it doesn't show up on the desktop. If I wanted to hide my NTFS partition, I'd load Windows, rename the drive .Windows and it wouldn't show up on the desktop when loading OSX. I do believe it'd still show in the sidebar of Finder windows though.
Correct. It's NTFS so it's read only and I don't intend to share any data between the two that's not on an external data source (CD, USB stick, etc...) So I just don't want to see it all the time or have it mounted. If I was rebooting often I'd probably set it up in the login script or the like.

B

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
balamw said:
Correct. It's NTFS so it's read only and I don't intend to share any data between the two that's not on an external data source (CD, USB stick, etc...) So I just don't want to see it all the time or have it mounted. If I was rebooting often I'd probably set it up in the login script or the like.

B

ahhhh... i see... that makes sense...:)

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Electro Funk said:
Here it is... :eek:

flame on...

Hmmmm. Where did you get that icon for XP from? I really like that the boot loader shows the icon of your HD....I thought it might have just defaulted to the stock HD one...hmmm.....

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
harveypooka said:
I really like that the boot loader shows the icon of your HD
The image posted is not of his bootloader, it's of his desktop. (See the later post for the full image.)

B

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
balamw said:
The image posted is not of his bootloader, it's of his desktop. (See the later post for the full image.)

B

I want to know where he got the icon of XP from. I was talking about MY boot loader...it shows the picture of my Macintosh HD and the untitled volume.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
balamw said:

B

that is correct... at the bootload screen my Mac icon actually looks like the iMac on my desktop but the windows icon is still the generic drive icon...

Dont remember where i got the icon but would be happy to send it to you if you want it... just PM me your email... ;)

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
rumbletum said:
OF course, when I reboot, its back there on my desktop. Any way for the icon to be permanently hidden?

Don't mean to re-open an old thread, but I'm having the same problem - I formatted using FAT32, and it re-appears each time I reboot into OSX... Is the only way to unmount if its NTFS or am I missing something.. I don't want to have to delete it each time..

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Hls811 said:
Don't mean to re-open an old thread, but I'm having the same problem - I formatted using FAT32, and it re-appears each time I reboot into OSX... Is the only way to unmount if its NTFS or am I missing something.. I don't want to have to delete it each time..

As said earlier, rename your drive in windows to .windows

that will make it invisible in Mac OS X.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
yankeefan24 said:
As said earlier, rename your drive in windows to .windows

that will make it invisible in Mac OS X.

Maybe I'm simplifying too much, but how? .windows is an invalid drive name (cause of the period).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.