PDA

View Full Version : reimporting EVERYTHING, disappearing gigabyte

buckuxc
Apr 12, 2006, 07:52 PM
hey all,

So after songs started going missing from my iTunes Library (but not the files) and a bungled attempt at fixing things and getting rid of duplicates, I am starting fresh by adding everything to my iTunes library anew. There's a bit of redundancy, but I have like 140GB worth of files to put in there and then weed the dupes (like I said, there's probably at least 40-50GB of dupes, just in different folders).

One folder of files I have is 76.21GB in the Get Info pane, but when I dragged it over to iTunes and started importing, the information at the bottom of the window listing number of files, total time, and total size lists only 75.08GB in the main library (this is as it is importing, but the number of files line up).

Why the discrepancy? What happened to the other gigbyte?

grockk
Apr 12, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm gonna guess the difference is those desktop.ini and thumbs.db on windows or the .DS_Store files in X. but a whole gig is a lot, so probably not.

but i bet you have non music files in there somewhere. try doing a search of the top level folder for *.* and then sort them based on filetype to see what shows up.

buckuxc
Apr 12, 2006, 10:47 PM
I opened up a finder window of the folder I tried to import and searched for just a period (.), b/c using *.* didn't bring anything up. I did the same thing with the iTunes Music folder on the other drive. The discrepancies were all over the board.

First, putting that into search brought up the headings Folders, Music, PDF Documents, Movies, and Other. Under the source folder, there were 9,714 files under Music, but after importing through iTunes (I just dragged & dropped the whole source folder), the destination folder (iTunes Music folder on the external) had only 9,692 files listed under Music. This was the case for all of other headings as well - PDFs in source said one thing, PDFs in iTunes folder was less, same with Movies and Other. And I couldn't figure out if there was a pattern to which files were missing in the iTunes folder.

What is going on? Why can't I just drag the source folder into iTunes and get all of the files to make the move over? (well except for the .ape files, which I noticed). If it was all the PDFs or all of smoething else it would make sense, but it's not. How do I know what didn't get imported? Is there a guaranteed way to do this that won't take alllll day going one by one?

:(

sps

buckuxc
Apr 13, 2006, 09:08 AM
I tried explaining this as best I could. Is there anyone that might know what is going on here :confused: