PDA

View Full Version : Aperture 1.1 Universal Update? $200 Price Drop?

MacRumors
Apr 12, 2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple's Hot News Feed (http://images.apple.com/main/rss/hotnews/hotnews.rss) reveals that Apple appears to be releasing Aperture 1.1 on April 13th. The news appeared on their RSS feed this evening with the following description:

Aperture 1.1, a significant update to the revolutionary all-in-one post production tool for photographers, runs natively on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs. The update features dramatically improved RAW image rendering and a new set of advanced RAW adjustment controls. Likewise, it delivers impressive speed gains on any Mac. At a new lower price of $299, Aperture is within reach of anyone shooting with a digital SLR camera. [Apr 13, 2006]

- Apple Hot News 4/13/06 8:30 AM

The description simply links to Apple's Aperture page (http://www.apple.com/aperture/) which offers a Aperture 1.1 description (http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html)

New features include:

- Improved RAW Image Quality
- RAW Fine Tuning
- Auto Noise Compensation
- New Color Meter
- Enhanced Export Controls
- Universal Binary support
- Other Improvements

The new price $299 represents a $200 drop from the previous retail price ($499).

timswim78
Apr 12, 2006, 10:39 PM
I guess that the people who paid $499 might be a little ticked off, if the price really does drop by $200.

drbrog
Apr 12, 2006, 10:39 PM
Apple penalizes early adopters (e.g., beta testers) of their software by doing this kind of thing. I hope purchasers of the first version will get a free upgrade.
They are still listing Aperature 1.0 on the website for $499.

razzmatazz
Apr 12, 2006, 10:40 PM
I guess that the people who paid $499 might be a little ticked off, if the price really does drop by $200.

Yea that is what it said in RSS Feed...me and him saw it like the same time lol

EricNau
Apr 12, 2006, 10:43 PM
The $200 price drop will make Aperture a much better competitor now.

Dr. Dastardly
Apr 12, 2006, 10:44 PM
I personally thought Aperture was pretty overpriced for what it was. A $200 price makes it ALOT easier to swollow. I might just pick up a copy now.

Stella
Apr 12, 2006, 10:45 PM
I hope the price drop is a result of competition from Adobe LightRoom.. I've tried light room and I find it pretty impressive.

I'd be interested in the price comparison between the two.

Peace
Apr 12, 2006, 10:46 PM
Apple has already changed the newsfeed removing any reference to price.;)

Tell me Apple doesn't peek in here.

Billy Boo Bob
Apr 12, 2006, 10:54 PM
Did I once hear correctly that Aperture has some pretty hefty hardware requirements to run effectively? My brother, a died-in-the-wool Windows user (and heavy duty photographer) is starting to turn some attention towards the Intel Macs now that Boot Camp and the VT options are making the rounds. But, he's not going to go any further than a Mini to begin with. I think he would fall in love with this program, though.

Do you think Aperture will run worth a hoot on a Mini, or just look too bloated? I understand LightBox has much lighter hardware requirements to run smoothly. Heck, even if that's so, he might be inclined to get a Mini just to run that (since it's going to be Mac only at first). Then he'll *have* to work with OS X a bit and learn how much nicer it is. :D

iZoom P5
Apr 12, 2006, 10:55 PM
Sounds like great news to me. Now if they could find a way to make an affordable Remote Desktop 3 for the masses, I would be set :)

jrhone
Apr 12, 2006, 11:04 PM
Did I once hear correctly that Aperture has some pretty hefty hardware requirements to run effectively? My brother, a died-in-the-wool Windows user (and heavy duty photographer) is starting to turn some attention towards the Intel Macs now that Boot Camp and the VT options are making the rounds. But, he's not going to go any further than a Mini to begin with. I think he would fall in love with this program, though.

Do you think Aperture will run worth a hoot on a Mini, or just look too bloated? I understand LightBox has much lighter hardware requirements to run smoothly. Heck, even if that's so, he might be inclined to get a Mini just to run that (since it's going to be Mac only at first). Then he'll *have* to work with OS X a bit and learn how much nicer it is. :D

Aperture ean fine on a Powerbook G4, new dual core minis will be just fine with it....Lightbox has lighter requirements, but was more sluggish on my Dual 2.0 G5...once you get lots of images in the library it slowed WAY down and never ran very smooth.....

Malfoy
Apr 12, 2006, 11:06 PM
If the price drops 200 bucks that would make the edu price a steal! I'm there. :)

Nemesis
Apr 12, 2006, 11:07 PM

$500 for Aperture is waaaay too much. It's was not worth it.
Something between $200 and $300 looks more reasonable, especially with Adobe coming in.
Adobe, please come with Lightroom and $150 price tag!
;)

nospleen
Apr 12, 2006, 11:08 PM
And we will all hear from iGary in, 3, 2, 1,....:D

boncellis
Apr 12, 2006, 11:10 PM
I agree that the price drop is more than welcome. I was quite surprised to see it so high when it was introduced.

Does Apple know something about a competing Adobe product that we don't?

nagromme
Apr 12, 2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the $200, Adobe :D

j-a-x
Apr 12, 2006, 11:17 PM
Price drop and new features sound good to me.

I just heard somebody say that Aperture will run fine on a Powerbook G4. Is that true? I thought it required a G5 and even ran slow on some G5s. I downloaded a program that Apple had to see if my system could handle Aperture and it said "no". Anyways with performance improvements maybe it could. It would be nice to try it, maybe i'd switch from iPhoto, but only if it was faster than iPhoto...

poolin1243
Apr 12, 2006, 11:17 PM
for the professionals out there like myself

this is a blessing, and a total outrage.

great that its going universal for those who use intels.

but..

for myself, i purchased 3 copies of aperture to use in various locations. At 499 each, thats a hefty sum. To have the price go down 200.00 after just one release...it is a real kick in the pants. I think all those who have purchased it and incorperated it into their workflows already, will be quite angered by this news.

i have aperture on a 12 and 15" powerbooks...run ok..not great..but it will work. For the 12 inch you have to download a hack..which was incredibly simple to do once u find it.

kugino
Apr 12, 2006, 11:19 PM
what's "lightbox"?

chrismcdowell25
Apr 12, 2006, 11:29 PM
Only buy things that you feel are worth it. If the price drops it is just cheaper the next time you buy it or upgrade. You bought it at $499 because you thought it was worth $499. Dont complain now that it is cheaper.

mlrproducts
Apr 12, 2006, 11:29 PM
I'm guessing the EDU version will now be $200. I WANT it to be $150, that would be great!

Either way, those early adopters will be mad, understandably. Hopefully Apple can give them a next free upgrade or something. I can't wait to see the new RAW conversion, and to pick me up a copy of the EDU vers!

simX
Apr 12, 2006, 11:30 PM
for myself, i purchased 3 copies of aperture to use in various locations. At 499 each, thats a hefty sum. To have the price go down 200.00 after just one release...it is a real kick in the pants. I think all those who have purchased it and incorperated it into their workflows already, will be quite angered by this news.

*sigh* Was $499 worth it for you? It must have been, given that you purchased 3 copies. So why are you ticked off that the price drops by $200 later on?

If it wasn't worth the $499, then you wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) have paid for it. IMHO, you got exactly what you paid for, and you knew how much it cost, so why should you be angry? Sure, it would've been nice to have the extra $200, but it's nothing to get "angered" about.

Stella
Apr 12, 2006, 11:31 PM
Not every decision is going to make everyone happy.

Life Sucks ( really, what else can be said?!! :-D )

MacEyeDoc
Apr 12, 2006, 11:31 PM

but..

I totally agree - I bought Aperture at the $499 price because I had 25,000 photos in iPhoto 5 and it was choking - only to find that Aperture was really Beta software, with poor RAW conversion and sometimes quite beach-ball-y. LightRoom was/is better in many respects and was FREE to try. Now they are lowering the price by $200!! I really will think 2 or 3 times before buying new software from Apple in the future.

Apple Thinks Different: Beta Testers wanted - you pay $200 more than what the software will eventually cost to find bugs for us. Sheesh!

I WILL be asking for a rebate.

BWhaler
Apr 12, 2006, 11:32 PM
Sounds like a great update, and at 200 bucks this is a much safer purchase.

I'd love 2.0 to give Adobe a serious run for their money in Photoshop. Any app that takes that long to load, is so hard to learn, and in general is so cumbersome, is just _screaming_ for Apple to simplify.

vmardian
Apr 12, 2006, 11:33 PM
I think they removed the article from the feed. Not seeing anything.

BWhaler
Apr 12, 2006, 11:33 PM
what's "lightbox"?

Adobe's response to Aperture.

rnb2
Apr 12, 2006, 11:38 PM

No, that would be LightROOM (which may have been the point of the question).

Doctor Q
Apr 12, 2006, 11:39 PM
I think they removed the article from the feed.Correct. Not the biggest leak ever, but a quick coverup nevertheless.

kugino
Apr 12, 2006, 11:40 PM
i've been using lightroom...i didn't know if it was a misunderstanding or if there was a new product i didn't know about...

in any case, i also think that the EDU price will make me buy it...sweet.

mambodancer
Apr 12, 2006, 11:47 PM
Here's a screen shot I took of the web page just now. It claims aperature 1.1 is a universal binary that will be available sometime in April. Price is still $499, the upgrade is free through software update.

iMeowbot
Apr 12, 2006, 11:52 PM
Either way, those early adopters will be mad, understandably.
I guess, but apparently there weren't many people who bought in. Apple wouldn't have cut 40% off the price if sales were great.

bigbossbmb
Apr 12, 2006, 11:52 PM
I just made the switch to digital and have been waiting for Aperture 1.1... sounds like they addressed most of the issues that it had. I'm anxious to see if Lightroom gets an update soon as well. The student price should be $150 as the student price of other $300 Apple programs (Final Cut Express and Logic Express) get the same discount.

Rangerhall6
Apr 13, 2006, 12:01 AM
Here's a screen shot I took of the web page just now. It claims aperature 1.1 is a universal binary that will be available sometime in April. Price is still $499, the upgrade is free through software update.

and that people who have 1.0 get 1.1 free of charge, just to restate it

twoodcc
Apr 13, 2006, 12:06 AM
well, we'll see tomorrow, or should i say, today ;)

MacEyeDoc
Apr 13, 2006, 12:09 AM
*sigh* Was $499 worth it for you? It must have been, given that you purchased 3 copies. So why are you ticked off that the price drops by $200 later on?

If it wasn't worth the $499, then you wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) have paid for it. IMHO, you got exactly what you paid for, and you knew how much it cost, so why should you be angry? Sure, it would've been nice to have the extra $200, but it's nothing to get "angered" about.

I - and a few others, I bet - bought the program because we saw and heard the hype Apple produced about this product. The price was steep, but we held our breath and bought it for $499. The program simply wasn't as good as Apple said. Now they are upgrading the program significantly, and it's only worth $299? So the previous, less useful (original) version must have been only worth, what $199? So the early adopter paid $300 to beta-test Apple's software for them? That would make you a little angry . . .

Rangerhall6
Apr 13, 2006, 12:11 AM
I - and a few others, I bet - bought the program because we saw and heard the hype Apple produced about this product. The price was steep, but we held our breath and bought it for $499. The program simply wasn't as good as Apple said. Now they are upgrading the program significantly, and it's only worth $299? So the previous, less useful (original) version must have been only worth, what $199? So the early adopter paid $300 to beta-test Apple's software for them? That would make you a little angry . . .

It is a free upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1, it says that on the upgrade page

EricNau
Apr 13, 2006, 12:13 AM

Didn't they remove the entire article? I can't find it anywhere anymore (I saw it on their home page before MR had it posted).

Where did it go?

edit: Just read Doctor Q's post. nevermind.

Eidorian
Apr 13, 2006, 12:13 AM
The educational price is still $249. I guess that's what it was when the full price was $499. I wonder how low it will go and if I like it. :D

bluebomberman
Apr 13, 2006, 12:15 AM
I agree with the angry mob! Early adopters will be shafted by a $200 price drop. They could have at least waited a few more months to lower the price.

Here's hoping Apple provides rebates for those who paid $499 for beta-quality software.

Ja Di ksw
Sounds like a great update, and at 200 bucks this is a much safer purchase.

People are saying "at 200". It's a price drop OF 200. It's down to 299 now. If I had a steady career I'd consider it. Darn grad school! It'll be awhile before I get the PhD and can afford things like this.

Peace
Didn't they remove the entire article? I can't find it anywhere anymore (I saw it on their home page before MR had it posted).

Where did it go?

I just checked the RSS screensaver and it's still there..:confused:

pdpfilms
Apr 13, 2006, 12:16 AM
It is a free upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1, it says that on the upgrade page
Yes, but if we had not joined Apple in their struggle to release a "professional quality" photo software, we would be able to have had a better software, at a cheaper price.

It's like Apple saying "Don't buy our products when we release them, because they're buggy and expensive. Wait until we drop the price and release a .x, and then it'll be worth it"

I'm a little ticked off, but thankful that Aperture will FINALLY be upgraded.

gomakeitreal
Apr 13, 2006, 12:24 AM
Yes, but if we had not joined Apple in their struggle to release a "professional quality" photo software, we would be able to have had a better software, at a cheaper price.

It's like Apple saying "Don't buy our products when we release them, because they're buggy and expensive. Wait until we drop the price and release a .x, and then it'll be worth it"

I'm a little ticked off, but thankful that Aperture will FINALLY be upgraded.

well you are getting the same 1.1 as the people who will pay $299.
you paid extra $200 to try it EARLY and use it in your work EARLY. the time value should be taken into account. any product at early released stage is more expensive for the targetted consummer's price inelasticity. common economic practice anyway. nto reall apple's fault, though they may have practiced it more than other companies

bluebomberman
Apr 13, 2006, 12:30 AM
you paid extra $200 to try it EARLY and use it in your work EARLY. the time value should be taken into account. any product at early released stage is more expensive for the targetted consummer's price inelasticity. common economic practice anyway. nto reall apple's fault, though they may have practiced it more than other companies

Normal practice in software is to have free betas, not betas that are +$200 the v1.1 version.

pdpfilms
Apr 13, 2006, 12:30 AM

I could see this as true if Apple were to say "we'll be lowering the price a matter of months from now", but they didn't. I purchased it then because i assumed (like most of Apple's software products) that it would not drop (and so significantly) so soon in its life. I easily could have waited this long, if I had known.

Oh well. Hopefully we'll get some sort of reimbursment... if only 1.1.

EricNau
Apr 13, 2006, 12:36 AM
I just checked the RSS screensaver and it's still there..:confused:
It's no longer on Apple's home page (on their hot news ticker), or their RSS feed.

Maybe your screen saver just hasn't updated? What happens when you click the number for that story, does it take you there?

Peace
Apr 13, 2006, 12:41 AM
It's no longer on Apple's home page (on their hot news ticker), or their RSS feed.

Maybe your screen saver just hasn't updated? What happens when you click the number for that story, does it take you there?

Here :

I watched it change from the original one showing a $299 price to this current one.
When I press the "1" key it goes to the Aperture site..
http://www.apple.com/aperture/

MacEyeDoc
Apr 13, 2006, 12:43 AM

Oh I see - is that like Adobe offering Lightroom as a FREE Beta to use, saying that you would be able to buy it later when upgraded to a shipping product (thanks to input from the early adopters, like those who paid $499 for Aperture), or you could just use it for FREE and then not buy it if you didn't like it?

uh, that would be a big NO.

bluebomberman
Apr 13, 2006, 12:45 AM
Oh I see - is that like Adobe offering Lightroom as a FREE Beta to use, saying that you would be able to buy it later when upgraded to a shipping product (thanks to input from the early adopters, like those who paid $499 for Aperture), or you could just use it for FREE and then not buy it if you didn't like it?

uh, that would be big NO.

Exactly. Why do people feel the need to condone Apple's use of early adopters as unwilling guinea pigs? "Oh, that's common economic practice." No, that's standard "ripping the customer off."

dekator
Apr 13, 2006, 01:24 AM
Did I once hear correctly that Aperture has some pretty hefty hardware requirements to run effectively?

Do you think Aperture will run worth a hoot on a Mini, or just look too bloated?

According to this site: http://www.final-cut-pro.de/stage/_inhalte/berichte/019_fcp_ub_test.shtml?navid=1
FCP 5.1 runs much faster on Intel Macs. Note: the site's in German but even if you don't read German, the graphs speak for themselves. Additional testing confirmed that FCP runs a good 2x faster on a MacBook Pro than on a G5 2x2GHz machine. Even faster on an Intel iMac. As the Mac Mini is essentially notebook technology I suspect it to perfrom on par with the MacBook Pro.
Make sure you read the ensuing discussion on that site for additional testing. (You'll figure out the numbers). So, I think there's a good chance Aperture too will perform pretty good on IntelMacs.

Sirin
Apr 13, 2006, 01:35 AM

Unfortunately, the big man himself has, and I don't think I can say he is too happy about it either. ;)

http://www.laflecha.net/storage/celements/profiles/3/photo/steve1.jpg

Sirin
Apr 13, 2006, 01:36 AM
Anywhoo, I say teh price cut puts Aperture into teh consumer's range. :)

Billy Boo Bob
Apr 13, 2006, 01:37 AM
No, that would be LightROOM (which may have been the point of the question).
Oops. That one was my fault. I was the first to mis-quote the name of it, and after that, everyone just ran with it. :o

kerbawya
Apr 13, 2006, 02:01 AM
what's all this talk of $299?... all i see on the page at http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html is "...scheduled for release in April — will be available for $499..."

Maybe I'm slow.

EDIT: TRICKY! they changed it... silly goose.

extramural
Apr 13, 2006, 02:05 AM
Apple penalizes early adopters (e.g., beta testers) of their software by doing this kind of thing. I hope purchasers of the first version will get a free upgrade.
They are still listing Aperature 1.0 on the website for $499.
Looks like the RSS 'announcement' was premature/wrong wrt pricing. According to the Apple - Aperture - Aperture 1.1 Update page at http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html
Developed in consultation with pro photographers, Aperture 1.1 — scheduled for release in April — will be available for $499. Current owners of Aperture 1.0 can upgrade to Aperture 1.1 via Software Update. In addition to enhanced compatibility, Aperture 1.1 also provides a variety of significant performance and feature enhancements.
This seems to suggest that the upgrade will be free.

chrismcdowell25
Apr 13, 2006, 02:13 AM
you should always think multiple times over if you actually need the software you purchase from any company. Good luck with your rebate that you will most certainly not get and get employee's you ask annoyed and yourself.

generik
Apr 13, 2006, 02:27 AM
I genuinely feel sorry for those suckers who paid $499 for this POS package.

IMO it is worth more of $29.95 than $299 :rolleyes:

godspeed
Apr 13, 2006, 02:47 AM
I would use Aperture if it had the ability to reference files from their original location rather than using precious HD space by copying pictures to it's own library. I hope 1.1 has this option, until this is done lightbox is performing admirably for me and I am growing to like this software more each passing day.

Evangelion
Apr 13, 2006, 02:57 AM

Would you be happy if they didn't drop the price? Why? How are you harmed if they drop the price?

conradzoo
Apr 13, 2006, 04:28 AM
Sorry for all the guys that went for the whole 499 shebang, but If they drop the price I am in. If not, well my Lightroom Beta does the job too, though often with grinding teeth.

BlueRevolution
Apr 13, 2006, 04:32 AM

yeah, it still says that. what you're looking at is an announcement of the upcoming update.

I've run it on my Power Mac G5 2x1.8 with 512 MB RAM, it's a bit sluggish but quite useable. since the 512 is below the system requirements you have to mess with a plist inside the app package because Apple doesn't want people running their programs and seeing them act slowly, but it presents no problem for me with my library of 3-4mp jpegs. RAW might be different since I haven't tried it.

since benchmarks I've seen put the Core Duo Mini neck in neck with the 2x1.8 G5, you'll probably be able to run it, though you may need to hack the plist like I did. the integrated graphics on the Mini might prevent a challenge though... to be safe, maybe try the 17" iMac instead. unless somebody has a Duo Mini and is able to give Aperture a try on it?

aegisdesign
Apr 13, 2006, 05:11 AM

You're new here. Don't you know Steve Jobs is omnipresent?

metfoo
Apr 13, 2006, 05:25 AM
I have a core duo mini. I copied over my aperture app and it runs in rosetta. Its not as fast as my G5 was, but it runs. I can't wait for the 1.1 update to get native speeds.

mattyturner
Apr 13, 2006, 05:32 AM
To Mr poolin1234 and other people who purchased this at $499.

Two Words - 'sunk cost'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

Malfoy
Apr 13, 2006, 05:49 AM
To Mr poolin1234 and other people who purchased this at $499.

Two Words - 'sunk cost'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

OOO Things always get a litle heated when people start busting out the economics...

iGary
Apr 13, 2006, 05:57 AM
I'll be looking for that $200.00 check in the mail, Steve™.

And thanks for keeping us waiting. :rolleyes:

Platform
Apr 13, 2006, 05:58 AM
This is great...get the update out now, I want it hehe...;)

More speed and features :D

gomakeitreal
Apr 13, 2006, 06:16 AM
Exactly. Why do people feel the need to condone Apple's use of early adopters as unwilling guinea pigs? "Oh, that's common economic practice." No, that's standard "ripping the customer off."

Well, please define what you mean by ripping customer off.
for me, any company that is operating at MR (marginal revenue) = MC (marginal cost) instead of Price = MC would be, and that just means a whole lot, most most, of the companies are ripping off customers. Then apple is doing it more than some of its competitors. but who is to say how much rip-off is reasonable?

it is like, "hey, why did you steal 10 apples from the store?! you are so bad, because the other people usuall only steal 5."

in non-perfectly-competitive market, one can't expect non-rip-off pricing -- it is just not compatible with the market structure. (well, except practice like predatory pricing, but you will pay back later in the future.)

so if you do not think it is worth the price, then do not buy it. if no one buys it, the price is gonna come down like now. you would be helping bringing down price for the rest ~ -- But you did =)

BlueRevolution
Apr 13, 2006, 06:21 AM
I'm assuming this is new, because I didn't notice it when I checked the Aperture page before. there's now a big green circle that says that the Aperture update is shipping soon, though no date is given and the linked to page still says the same, including the $499 price tag.

also, compare the attached pics. seems that Apple is violating its own design guidelines. again.

edit:

OOO Things always get a litle heated when people start busting out the economics...

:rolleyes: it ain't stopping any time soon...

sintaxi
Apr 13, 2006, 06:26 AM
it sure ought to be 299. 500 is not reasonable.

iGary
Apr 13, 2006, 06:26 AM
So I can't wait for the $600.00 edition of FC Studio. :rolleyes:

Kenndac
Apr 13, 2006, 06:28 AM
also, compare the attached pics. seems that Apple is violating its own design guidelines. again.
Um... the guidelines say not to use their logos in stars and circles (etc). The text "Version 1.1 Shipping Soon" isn't a logo.

technicolor
Apr 13, 2006, 06:37 AM

but..

for myself, i purchased 3 copies of aperture to use in various locations. At 499 each, thats a hefty sum. To have the price go down 200.00 after just one release...it is a real kick in the pants. I think all those who have purchased it and incorperated it into their workflows already, will be quite angered by this news. Its part and parcel of buying apple stuff. You paid for it because you wanted, you got what you wanted and you paid the 499 price and you were willing to do so. You will live. Imagine those who bought ppc macs only to have intel macs come out a few days later.

bigandy
Apr 13, 2006, 06:50 AM
i bought aperture at the previous price.

and it has been more than worth it.

why complain about getting kicked in the teeth because apple drops the price for aperture? do you complain when the car you bought from the dealer drops $2000? do you complain when the washing machine drops in price?

it happens. it's called business.

eXan
Apr 13, 2006, 07:01 AM
- Improved RAW Image Quality
- RAW Fine Tuning
- Auto Noise Compensation
- New Color Meter
- Enhanced Export Controls

These particular improvements look very good to me!

Do you think Aperture will run worth a hoot on a Mini, or just look too bloated?

Maybe it will, but it requres a good graphics card, but since mini's GMA can draw only 2D graphics at normal-high speeds, I think he'll be fine :)

macpastor
Apr 13, 2006, 07:04 AM
Apple store down as I type this... perhaps a price change and update for Aperture?

Maybe something else too? :)

skippy64
Apr 13, 2006, 07:08 AM
UK store still active at 1.06pm

skippy64
Apr 13, 2006, 07:09 AM
Maybe Steve's laying some Easter Eggs for us all:) ;) :)

amac4me
Apr 13, 2006, 07:13 AM
I'd buy it for $299.

MrCrowbar
Apr 13, 2006, 07:22 AM
US Store is down, eurpean stores are up. I'd say it's a software release (Aperture?).

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 13, 2006, 07:28 AM
Maybe Steve's laying some Easter Eggs for us all:) ;) :)
Awwww, just say it ... HOPING FOR THE NEW MACBOOKS, PLEASE!!!!! ;)

Of course, I have a FULL day at work today and it will be tough to find an hour to break away to go buy one at my local Apple Store, let alone I would have to open it up and try it out, which will take more time, so I'd rather this "update" just be for Aperture and the iBooks come next week. But would Apple really take the whole store down just to update one software app? :confused: :confused:

aljawad
Apr 13, 2006, 07:34 AM
So Aperture 1.1 will sell for $299. I think that is what Apple charges for the mid-pro application FinalCut Express, and the charge for the applications incremental updates is $99.
Hmmm, maybe Apple should send the early adopters of Aperture 2 free upgrades - all the way to Aperture 3.0 ;)

!1984!
Apr 13, 2006, 07:41 AM
STORE IS BACK UP! All that changed was Apeture. It's $299 now. -- $149 academic price is vey appealing indeed. I just might have to buy it at that price.

charris
Apr 13, 2006, 07:42 AM
The Apple online store is being updated. Is this a regular maintenence thing, or might it mean something new is being added?

MrCrowbar
Apr 13, 2006, 07:42 AM
Us Store Is Up Again

EDIT: !1984!, you beat me. :) Aperture is sill selling for the old price on european stores by the way...

Could it be that when only the US store is down there's new Software and when all stores are down new hardware?

MattQiu
Apr 13, 2006, 07:43 AM
US store up, Aperture new to store, selling for $299, ship in 3-4 weeks

nothing changed in UK store yet

animefan_1
Apr 13, 2006, 07:43 AM
Apple Releases Aperture 1.1
"Universal Version Delivers Improved RAW Quality, Incredible Speed & New Lower Price"

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/13aperture.html

They're also doing this as well:

"In addition, early adopters of Aperture 1.0 can claim a $200 (US) coupon redeemable at the Apple Online Store by visiting http://www.apple.com/promo/aperture/ as a thank you for their support."

superduperjacob
Apr 13, 2006, 07:45 AM
"In addition, early adopters of Aperture 1.0 can claim a $200 (US) coupon redeemable at the Apple Online Store by visiting http://www.apple.com/promo/aperture/ as a thank you for their support."
Nice touch, I must say.

skippy64
Apr 13, 2006, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy64
Maybe Steve's laying some Easter Eggs for us all
Awwww, just say it ... HOPING FOR THE NEW MACBOOKS, PLEASE!!!!! [QUOTE=ImAlwaysRight]Awwww, just say it ... HOPING FOR THE NEW MACBOOKS, PLEASE!!!!! ;)

I think if he managed to lay a Macbook Pro it would bring a few tears to his eyes ;)

Platform
Apr 13, 2006, 07:50 AM
Downloading.....great :D

Installed and updating library...done...starts faster, work faster = great :)

MrCrowbar
Apr 13, 2006, 07:51 AM
Apple Releases Aperture 1.1
They're also doing this as well:

Good move from Apple.

nospleen
Apr 13, 2006, 07:54 AM

And thanks for keeping us waiting. :rolleyes:

Ask and you shall receive....

MacEyeDoc
Apr 13, 2006, 07:57 AM
Nice touch, I must say.

Exactly as they should have done. They obviously recognized that they were in the wrong about this, and are essentially giving those of us who bought it at $499 the $200 rebate I was going to request.

Nice job Apple!

skippy64
Apr 13, 2006, 07:58 AM
Exactly as they should have done. They obviously recognized that they were in the wrong about this, and are essentially giving those of us who bought it at $499 the $200 rebate I was going to request.

Nice job Apple!

Good PR on Apples part for sure. It will be interesting to see what they do in the UK

andiwm2003
Apr 13, 2006, 08:02 AM
i bought aperture at the previous price.

and it has been more than worth it.

why complain about getting kicked in the teeth because apple drops the price for aperture? do you complain when the car you bought from the dealer drops $2000? do you complain when the washing machine drops in price?

it happens. it's called business.

i guess you still take the $200 cupon now!

i rarely ever happens. it's called luck.:p

Floop
Apr 13, 2006, 08:02 AM
Good move by Apple. It will appease the whingers!

Thataboy
Apr 13, 2006, 08:03 AM
Good, all you whiny *****es who complained about paying $499 (even though you determined at that time that the software was worth that price, since you DID buy it), and how Apple was an evil company who ripped you off....

You can eat crow for Easter. $200 credit. I think anyone who whined should be forced to write a formal apology before he can claim the credit.

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 13, 2006, 08:07 AM
STORE IS BACK UP! All that changed was Apeture. It's $299 now. -- $149 academic price is vey appealing indeed. I just might have to buy it at that price.
Poo! They have to take the whole store down just to change Aperture? What about when they add or take away things from the refurbished section? Never seen them take the store down for that.

Oh well, back to work!

irmongoose
Apr 13, 2006, 08:36 AM
This is freaky... it seems as if Apple is really reading this thread!

I hope purchasers of the first version will get a free upgrade.

Done.

I'm guessing the EDU version will now be $200. I WANT it to be $150, that would be great!

Done.

Done.

So as it is clear that Apple is taking cues directly from us, I think we should start adding our requests to this thread.

I'll start.

Dear Apple,

I would like the MacBook Pro to be $100, in fact just make them free.
Can you give me a job at Cupertino... preferably a vice president, but I'm willing to be lenient.
Oh and I would like some cookies delivered to my door. Now. Chocolate chip.

Thank you,

irmongoose

Drizzt
Apr 13, 2006, 08:37 AM
Yes, fantastic update, but they still don't have support for my dSLR's RAW format (Olympus E-500)! When will this be added? Doesn't it have to do with support by the OS? Then it looks it won't be until Leopard comes out. :(

jelloshotsrule
Apr 13, 2006, 08:41 AM
Yes, fantastic update, but they still don't have support for my dSLR's RAW format (Olympus E-500)! When will this be added? Doesn't it have to do with support by the OS? Then it looks it won't be until Leopard comes out. :(

or in a future tiger update.

aperture is definitely far more tempting for a "prosumer" like me at 299..

themacman
Apr 13, 2006, 08:51 AM
149 education price.... thats prety good.

wtmcgee
Apr 13, 2006, 09:14 AM
The apple store currently says 3-4 weeks for Aperture to ship. Does anyone know why this is?

MrCrowbar
Apr 13, 2006, 09:14 AM
I bet there's at least one Apple worker whose single job is to monitor this forum. And when a rumor comes out that is too close to what Apple is actually doing this person will post something like: "won't ever happen" or "that would be insane for Apple".

I'm pretty sure Apple reads the thread here. It's a nice way to find out what the geeky people want. Let's start a thread requesting a 12" MacBook Pro :)

c-Row
Apr 13, 2006, 09:18 AM
I bet there's at least one Apple worker whose single job is to monitor this forum. And when a rumor comes out that is too close to what Apple is actually doing this person will post something like: "won't ever happen" or "that would be insane for Apple".

Nah, that would be insane for Apple.

:D

Eidorian
Apr 13, 2006, 09:32 AM
149 education price.... thats prety good.Yeah, I'm tempted too. I'm just an amateur but I'm close to outgrowing iPhoto.

bluebomberman
Apr 13, 2006, 09:33 AM
"In addition, [b]early adopters of Aperture 1.0 can claim a $200 (US) coupon redeemable at the Apple Online Store by visiting http://www.apple.com/promo/aperture/ as a thank you for their support."

Alright. Apple does the right thing.

EDIT: Even the EDU customers get $-100 off!

bigandy
Apr 13, 2006, 09:36 AM
i'm currently downloading the 1.1 update. YAY! :D

Ja Di ksw
Apr 13, 2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I'm tempted too. I'm just an amateur but I'm close to outgrowing iPhoto.

This is exactly where I'm at. Amateur, but I'm getting tired of iPhoto and I can get the edu discount through my university. 150 isn't bad at all for something that cost 500 this morning.

How well do you guys think this will run on a 1.5 GHz G4 PB with 2 GB RAM?

bigandy
Apr 13, 2006, 09:40 AM
149 education price.... thats prety good.

Bit of a bastard that the Edu UK price is still £129.25 (US$227)!!! :eek:
hope they update that price to somewhere nearer the US Edu price, my uni's newspaper could do with it.

iGary
Apr 13, 2006, 09:43 AM
Ask and you shall receive....

:eek:

I'm speechless. Apple really is handling this well. For real.

mkjj
Apr 13, 2006, 10:06 AM
That guy who bought 3 copies has 600 dollars coming his way! New Mac Mini for free!. Text from Apples Web site

On April 13, 2006 Apple released Aperture 1.1, the first Universal version of Aperture and a significant update to the revolutionary all-in-one post-production tool for photographers. In addition, Apple lowered the price of Aperture from $499 to $299. Apple is offering a $200 e-coupon good on the online Apple Store to licensed users of Aperture 1.0. Licensed users of Aperture 1.0 Academic will receive a $100 e-coupon.

phatpat88
Apr 13, 2006, 10:06 AM
great, now all i need is for the price of a video card to drop in price also!

icloud
Apr 13, 2006, 10:07 AM
The rebates are only for people in the US!!! :mad:

iGary
Apr 13, 2006, 10:14 AM
Rebate form in the mail. :D

iPod Hi-Fi? put it and my edu toward a 17" PB?

Now as long as my PM is fixed by the end of the week, I think I can handle this Intel thing without throwing up.

iGary
Apr 13, 2006, 10:15 AM
Good, all you whiny *****es who complained about paying $499 (even though you determined at that time that the software was worth that price, since you DID buy it), and how Apple was an evil company who ripped you off....

You can eat crow for Easter. $200 credit. I think anyone who whined should be forced to write a formal apology before he can claim the credit.

Yeah, you own a copy?

Platform
Apr 13, 2006, 10:24 AM
Rebate form in the mail. :D

iPod Hi-Fi? put it and my edu toward a 17" PB?

Now as long as my PM is fixed by the end of the week, I think I can handle this Intel thing without throwing up.

Now that really is great....Go Apple ! :cool:

mkjj
Apr 13, 2006, 10:42 AM
The rebates are only for people in the US!!! :mad:

Not according to the MacWorld (UK) webiste

The software now costs £219 - £130 cheaper than before when it cost £349. Existing users can claim a £130 money-back voucher from Apple which they can spend at the Apple Store online.

Peace
Apr 13, 2006, 10:44 AM
I'd be willing to bet the guy that posted the premature info on Apple's RSS feed last night just got moved to a different dept.;)

It's great that Apple is giving $200 back to the folks that paid $200 too much too!!

Eidorian
Apr 13, 2006, 10:45 AM
This is exactly where I'm at. Amateur, but I'm getting tired of iPhoto and I can get the edu discount through my university. 150 isn't bad at all for something that cost 500 this morning.

How well do you guys think this will run on a 1.5 GHz G4 PB with 2 GB RAM?I'd be more worried about your VRAM and CPU. Aperture seems to be demanding most of those.

iGary
Apr 13, 2006, 10:46 AM
Bruce Chizen is having a hissy fit as we speak. We'll probably see a Universal of CS a couple of years from now.

"I'll show that fracking Jobs!!"

Thomas S
Apr 13, 2006, 10:48 AM
Just got done installing it. There are some nice little changes :-P.

I'm especially happy with the D200 support that came with the last Mac OS X update :-P.

Edit: I accidentally posted an image with my serial number:(. Thanks bousozoku for fixing it up for me.

Anyhow, to anyone trying to send it in be prepared for a damn good laugh. Its ineligible because it was a volume educational purchase :D.

iGary
Apr 13, 2006, 10:52 AM
I'd get rid of your serial number before someone copies it and gets the rebate before you do.

mkjj
Apr 13, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'd get rid of your serial number before someone copies it and gets the rebate before you do.

Bet he's too late!

Ja Di ksw
Apr 13, 2006, 11:39 AM
I'm surprised that picture was posted with all the info on it. Blur man, blur!

I'd be more worried about your VRAM and CPU. Aperture seems to be demanding most of those.

Sorry, meant to post that I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 MB). Must have slipped my mind. It's a 1.5 GHz G4, but I already said that. Are you referring to something else?

manu chao
Apr 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
The apple store currently says 3-4 weeks for Aperture to ship. Does anyone know why this is?

Maybe if the update has been released today, they can only start next week pressing the CDs, packaging and distribution will take some time too. But four to six weeks seems a bit steep for that. Two weeks might have made sense.

Multimedia
Apr 13, 2006, 12:00 PM
I don't remember Apple ever announcing that they priced a product too high and are therefore refunding money to all who bought it at the initial too high price and lowering the price today.

Considering that the product is better than ever today, this is truly an amazing and unusual move not only by Apple but for any buniness to make. Bravo Apple not only for lowering the price but moreover for refunding to all who took the initial plunge the difference. Outstanding! :) :eek: :cool: :D ;)

JAT
Apr 13, 2006, 12:01 PM
Well, if Apple is looking.....Add my camera to your list!!!

You get $zero until I see Sigma X3F in the RAW list. Lightroom already supported it in the very first beta, and it is on my short list of software to buy in the very near future. $149 would make Aperture a very nice option for this student, but absolutely useless until it is compatible.

psycho bob
Apr 13, 2006, 12:03 PM
Maybe if the update has been released today, they can only start next week pressing the CDs, packaging and distribution will take some time too. But four to six weeks seems a bit steep for that. Two weeks might have made sense.

As long as demand is not too heavy Apple usually manage to ship software sooner then stated, they certainly did with Motion. What annoys me is that the UK store still doesn't display the new 1.1 pricing correctly :rolleyes:

psycho bob
Apr 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
Well, if Apple is looking.....Add my camera to your list!!!

You get $zero until I see Sigma X3F in the RAW list. Lightroom already supported it in the very first beta, and it is on my short list of software to buy in the very near future. $149 would make Aperture a very nice option for this student, but absolutely useless until it is compatible.

I would love to see Sigma support from Apple, there is no excuse for them not to. Sigma seem to be discussing the launch of a new camera by Septemeber so it isn't like Apple would be putting the work in for nothing.

nihilisticmonk
Apr 13, 2006, 12:07 PM
I'm running on a dual 2.5ghz powermac with an x800 and 3.5gb of ram, and aperture still appears a little slow.

I'm looking at raw files, and as a I scroll through projects they're still pixellated and I get "LOADING" at the top when I view an image and it takes a second or two for the image to become crisp!

Anyone else experience anything similar with aperture?

manu chao
Apr 13, 2006, 12:15 PM
I'm running on a dual 2.5ghz powermac with an x800 and 3.5gb of ram, and aperture still appears a little slow.

I'm looking at raw files, and as a I scroll through projects they're still pixellated and I get "LOADING" at the top when I view an image and it takes a second or two for the image to become crisp!

Anyone else experience anything similar with aperture?

One problem is certainly disk I/O speed, consider a RAID array, even with 3.5 GB of RAM, not all your images will fit into memory.

tleveque
Apr 13, 2006, 12:16 PM

I just ordered it on the Canadian Store:
ORDER

Part Number: MA438Z/A
Product Name: Aperture
Unit Price: $169.00
Quantity: 1
Net Price: $169.00
Estimated time to ship: 1-2 business days

SUBTOTAL: $169.00

This is not 6 weeks!!
$169 is the educationnal price in Canadian dollars.

Thierry

rdbishop
Apr 13, 2006, 12:24 PM
Aperture won't install on a Core Duo Mac Mini even though the new minis do support Core Image. Guess i'll have to use the hardware check workaround.

mashinhead
Apr 13, 2006, 12:37 PM
what about edu purchasers? I paid 249, now its 100 bux less, do i get that back too?

Leondunkleyc
Apr 13, 2006, 12:51 PM

rdbishop
Apr 13, 2006, 01:10 PM
Aperture won't install on a Core Duo Mac Mini even though the new minis do support Core Image. Guess i'll have to use the hardware check workaround.

Ok, if you use the hardware check workaround to do the installation, then update to 1.01 and then 1.1 Aperture runs on the Core Duo Mini without any modifications to the Aperture application as was required for unsupported hardware. So I guess the new Mac Mini's are supported and this probably will be fixed with the 1.1 boxed version.

all-in-my-head
Apr 13, 2006, 01:26 PM
The UK price hasn't changed in the store. It's £349!!

But on the aperture page itself, it has the price at £219 :D

Unfortunetly there is no way of buying at this price yet, hopefully the left hand will know what the right hand is doing soon and they'll fix the price.

Mechcozmo
Apr 13, 2006, 01:35 PM
So if you bought Aperature pre-Universal Binary, it is now a Universal Binary after the update?

Pretty cool!

wtmcgee
Apr 13, 2006, 01:44 PM
I just ordered it on the Canadian Store:
ORDER

Part Number: MA438Z/A
Product Name: Aperture
Unit Price: $169.00
Quantity: 1
Net Price: $169.00
Estimated time to ship: 1-2 business days

SUBTOTAL: $169.00

This is not 6 weeks!!
$169 is the educationnal price in Canadian dollars.

Thierry

Qty Ordered Items Part No. Est. Shipping Unit Price Ext. Price
1 Aperture - Academic MA439Z/A 3-4 weeks $149.00 $149.00
Subtotal: $149.00
Estimated Tax: $8.94
Shipping Charge: $0.00
Estimated Total: $157.94

Strange, eh?

turtlebud
Apr 13, 2006, 01:45 PM
For the e-coupons, can you use them in the educational online store or only the regular online store?

Thomas S
Apr 13, 2006, 01:54 PM
Oh my god - I uploaded the one that wasn't blocked out :(.

I feel like such a dumbass. Anyhow, thanks for removing it for me. That's what I get for messing up the file names :(.

The kicker? Anyone sending that serial number in isn't going to be getting any cash since it was a volume educational purchase and they're ineligible :D.

elo
Apr 13, 2006, 02:00 PM
This thread is ridiculous. Apple announced that it was giving $200 gift certificates to the early adopters at the very same time it posted the revised price for Aperture. All of those who complained did so with no basis in fact whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong: Had Apple not done this right, there would have been cause for complaint. But they did, and they did from the very beginning.

esquared
Apr 13, 2006, 02:10 PM
I d/l 1.1 just fine, but it doesn't see my copy of Aperture 1.0.1 on my HD! I have 3 exclamation points next to all 3 available HD's ( Aperture is installed on one of them ). How disappointing.

Ja Di ksw
Apr 13, 2006, 02:12 PM
Don't get me wrong: Had Apple not done this right, there would have been cause for complaint. But they did, and they did from the very beginning.

I disagree. As others have said, people obviously thought it was worth it when they bought it because they DID buy it. No one forced them to. Apple is under no obligation to keep their prices the same. They are under no obligation to let you know when a decrease in price is coming, or when an update is coming. No company is. When I bought my powermac a long time ago, I never looked into any rumor sites or release dates, and within a month or two, the first dual processor powermac came out. Two processors to my one! And if I remember right, they were at a slightly higher speed! For the same price! Was Apple obligated to let me trade in for a newer one, or to pay me the price difference between what I paid and what the same computer would cost after the update? Of course not. I thought my powermac was worth what I paid when I got it, and that didn't change when a new one came out.

bigbossbmb
Apr 13, 2006, 02:17 PM
This thread is ridiculous. Apple announced that it was giving $200 gift certificates to the early adopters at the very same time it posted the revised price for Aperture. All of those who complained did so with no basis in fact whatsoever.

This thread was started last night as a page two BEFORE the announcement of 1.1....
The rumor only stated that 1.1 would be released today and have a new pricing of $299. It wasn't leaked that Apple was going to give e-coupons to the early adopters. So the people complaining did so with just cause and are probably pretty happy with Apple's decision.

milo
Apr 13, 2006, 02:25 PM
This thread was started last night as a page two BEFORE the announcement of 1.1....
The rumor only stated that 1.1 would be released today and have a new pricing of $299. It wasn't leaked that Apple was going to give e-coupons to the early adopters. So the people complaining did so with just cause and are probably pretty happy with Apple's decision.

No, the people complaining were whining about a situation they were ignorant of without knowing all the facts.

You do that, you come off looking like an ass. No sympathy from me. Sad that so many mac users are such crybabies that they start blubbering even before details are announced.

esquared
Apr 13, 2006, 02:30 PM
I d/l 1.1 just fine, but it doesn't see my copy of Aperture 1.0.1 on my HD! I have 3 exclamation points next to all 3 available HD's ( Aperture is installed on one of them ). How disappointing.

Well, I guess my previous version of 1.0.1 was the problem. Installed "new" 1.0.1, then did the 1.1, life is good again.:p

tleveque
Apr 13, 2006, 03:39 PM
Qty Ordered Items Part No. Est. Shipping Unit Price Ext. Price
1 Aperture - Academic MA439Z/A 3-4 weeks $149.00 $149.00
Subtotal: $149.00
Estimated Tax: $8.94
Shipping Charge: $0.00
Estimated Total: $157.94

Strange, eh?

If I go and check my order status on the web site it says now:
Estimated
Shipped By Apr 17, 2006

This is next monday....

bigbossbmb
Apr 13, 2006, 03:56 PM
No, the people complaining were whining about a situation they were ignorant of without knowing all the facts.

That's what ya get with a rumor site ;)

wtmcgee
Apr 13, 2006, 05:35 PM
If I go and check my order status on the web site it says now:
Estimated
Shipped By Apr 17, 2006

This is next monday....

If it stays 4 weeks, I may just go buy it @ the store and update online ... I would assume they'd still have the 1.0 version for sale in the store.

j26
Apr 13, 2006, 07:09 PM
Still not updated in the Irish site:mad:

iGary
Apr 13, 2006, 07:13 PM

You do that, you come off looking like an ass. No sympathy from me. Sad that so many mac users are such crybabies that they start blubbering even before details are announced.

You own a copy?

vitaboy
Apr 13, 2006, 07:27 PM
You own a copy?

Sorry, what does owning a copy of Aperture have to do with having an opinion on the reactions of some users? Do we ask 16 year old teenagers, "Are you old enough to vote?" if they offer an opinion on their Congressman, Senator or President?

The criticism had nothing to do with Aperture's features, where owning a copy would be relevant. The criticism had to do with the reaction of certain users. Whether you agree with that criticism is another issue, but to try to argue the criticism is invalid because the user doesn't own a copy is, well, not logical.

Sorry to say, but that's the truth.

That being said, Apple did a good thing here. They should be applauded and users should feel grateful that contrary to what a lot of people believe, Apple does apparently listen to users. Just the latest example the company is on a roll.

iGary
Apr 13, 2006, 08:49 PM
Sorry, what does owning a copy of Aperture have to do with having an opinion on the reactions of some users?

Because a person who owned a copy from the beginning would understand that Aperture 1.0 was more of a Beta than a real release. Dropping the price after spending 500 bucks on a test product would have been a slap in the face without some type of rebate.

That's what it has to do with it.

ust the latest example the company is on a roll.

Yeah, every Apple product I have owned in the last year, except my nano, has had to go in for repair (my G5 is currently having open heart surgery and I blew up two 30" ACD's before I got a good copy).

They're on a roll alright.

Flash3441
Apr 13, 2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah, every Apple product I have owned in the last year, except my nano, has had to go in for repair (my G5 is currently having open heart surgery and I blew up two 30" ACD's before I got a good copy).

They're on a roll alright.

REALLY!?!? We have about eight G5 Powermacs (dual 2.0) at work, all with 23" monitors and we have only had issues with 1 of the systems. None of the LCDs have ever had issues so to me, Apple hardware has so far been very robust (knock on wood). What caused your the two 30" LCDs to blow up?

jaw04005
Apr 13, 2006, 11:59 PM
Any benchmarks that compare a Power Mac G5 to a iMac Core Duo? I would like to know if it's worth the purchase.

dogbone
Apr 14, 2006, 12:46 AM
There's no point in complaining about the price drop, just act on what you now know. ie, don't buy any future Apple beta releases.

As for the qt movie (http://www.apple.com/aperture/quicktours/?RAW) did anyone else notice the extremely odd accent of the voiceover? Sounds like a 50/50 hybrid of American and Australian.

Multimedia
Apr 14, 2006, 03:40 AM
According to this site: http://www.final-cut-pro.de/stage/_inhalte/berichte/019_fcp_ub_test.shtml?navid=1
FCP 5.1 runs much faster on Intel Macs. Note: the site's in German but even if you don't read German, the graphs speak for themselves. Additional testing confirmed that FCP runs a good 2x faster on a MacBook Pro than on a G5 2x2GHz machine. Even faster on an Intel iMac. As the Mac Mini is essentially notebook technology I suspect it to perfrom on par with the MacBook Pro.
Make sure you read the ensuing discussion on that site for additional testing. (You'll figure out the numbers). So, I think there's a good chance Aperture too will perform pretty good on IntelMacs.Dekator, you need to copy the URL of where those charts are and then paste it into the URL LINK box in the post interface for it to work. What you put in about does not work.

I noticed when looking at the Aperture Minimum video card specification, that a top-of-the-line state-of-the-fart G5 Quad's Stock NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256 MB of video RAM and one Dual DVI port is TOO WEAK and not listed as a qualifying card. What the heck is up with that? They list a 6800 but not the 6600. Is that a typo or WHAT? :confused: :eek: :mad: :(

Platform
Apr 14, 2006, 03:48 AM
Dekator, you need to copy the URL of where those charts are and then paste it into the URL LINK box in the post interface for it to work. What you put in about does not work.

I noticed when looking at the Aperture Minimum video card specification, that a top-of-the-line state-of-the-fart G5 Quad's Stock NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256 MB of video RAM and one Dual DVI port is TOO WEAK and not listed as a qualifying card. What the heck is up with that? They list a 6800 but not the 6600. Is that a typo or WHAT? :confused: :eek: :mad: :(

Don't know why you look at 3rd party sources when we have Apple.com....:confused:

Minimum System Requirements
One of the following Macintosh computers:
Power Mac G5 with a 1.8 gigahertz (GHz) or faster PowerPC G5 processor
iMac with 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor
MacBook Pro
15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with a 1.25 GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor
Mac OS X “Tiger” version 10.4.6 (or later)
1GB of RAM
Display with 1280-by-854 (or higher) resolution
One of the following graphics cards:
ATI Radeon x600 Pro or x600 XT
ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition
ATI Radeon X850 XT
ATI Radeon X1600
ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, or 9650
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600
ATI Mobility X1600
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE or 6600
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
5GB of disk space for application, sample projects, and tutorial
DVD drive for installation

iGary
Apr 14, 2006, 06:08 AM
There's no point in complaining about the price drop, just act on what you now know. ie, don't buy any future Apple beta releases.

Since when was Aperture 1.0 a beta?

dogbone
Apr 14, 2006, 07:03 AM
Since when was Aperture 1.0 a beta?

You're right, it was no more a beta release than OSX 10.0 ;)

I'm stil waiting for Corel Painter to come out of beta.

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 14, 2006, 07:49 AM
ok, got some questions for you.
The price drop sparked my interest, but i am a bit concerned about the hardware requirements. I won't buy a new desktop until PM goes intel, so my question is:
Do you think Aperture would run ok on a PM MD dual 1.25, 1GB RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4600 128 MB?
If so, do you know if Aperture supports RAW files from Leica D-Lux 2?

kwajo.com
Apr 14, 2006, 08:18 AM
well I installed Aperture 1.1 and it is definitely faster at most things, but still kind of disappointing on my dual 2.0 G5 with 1.5GB RAM.

I also have the annoyance of unsupported camera RAW files from my Pentax SLR, but I have managed, along with a chum, to 'hack' support for it. It has to do with copying some of the Nikon raw.plist into Pentax support since the RAW files are very similar. So far it appears to add support for Pentax RAW files throughout the system, Finder, iPhoto, Preview, Aperture, etc. It's not perfect, but it's a stop gap until Apple finally adds support for a common camera format that's been around for years :rolleyes: ;)

Me2
Apr 14, 2006, 08:35 AM
http://www.apple.com/promo/aperture/

Apple is offering a rebate in the form of an e-coupon to early adopters of Aperture. $200 for retail and $100 for education, which brings my investment of the program to $50 and change.

So much for the theory of Apple screwing early adopters (at least in this instance)

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 14, 2006, 09:45 AM
well I installed Aperture 1.1 and it is definitely faster at most things, but still kind of disappointing on my dual 2.0 G5 with 1.5GB RAM.
Slow on a dual 2.0 G5 with 1.5GB RAM??? NOW I am getting worried... I have read about other people on MR claiming they can run Aperture 1.0 on a 1.5GHz PB. I just bought Aperture 1.1 and 1GB extra RAM for my MDD. Can someone please verify whether it is possible to run Aperture on an old MDD with 128 MB VRAM.:confused:
I am trying to avoid upgrading my desktop before PM goes Intel.

kwajo.com
Apr 14, 2006, 10:08 AM
well I mean it runs fine, but it's hardly speedy and at times isn't as smooth as most other programs on my machine. It'll probably run for you, and do everything you need, but i wouldn't expect a speed demon

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 14, 2006, 10:11 AM
well I mean it runs fine, but it's hardly speedy and at times isn't as smooth as most other programs on my machine. It'll probably run for you, and do everything you need, but i wouldn't expect a speed demon
ok, thanks... I guess I will have to live with a slightly sluggish system until I upgrade. The new PM should arrive soon

turtlebud
Apr 14, 2006, 10:40 AM
For those that have aperture and are sending in for the early adopters e-coupon, do you get the serial number from the "about aperture" menu or is it also somewhere on the DVD? If it's in both places, is it the same? I'm awaiting delivery of my copy of aperture and was just wondering.

ipacmm
Apr 14, 2006, 11:19 AM
It is nice to see the price drop on Aperture, but I would rather have seen version 2 come out, hopefully it will be soon because I still have some issues with 1.

NATO
Apr 14, 2006, 11:22 AM
Still no news of the UK Rebate details, very lazy of Apple to only update the US section and leave out other countries.

jared_kipe
Apr 14, 2006, 11:53 AM
Slow on a dual 2.0 G5 with 1.5GB RAM??? NOW I am getting worried... I have read about other people on MR claiming they can run Aperture 1.0 on a 1.5GHz PB. I just bought Aperture 1.1 and 1GB extra RAM for my MDD. Can someone please verify whether it is possible to run Aperture on an old MDD with 128 MB VRAM.:confused:
I am trying to avoid upgrading my desktop before PM goes Intel.
I think for what its doing it runs REALLY well on my dual 1.8G5 with 3GB of ram. I love aperture, I had thoughts of going to lightroom during the dark ages of not having a universal version (for my imac I'm selling). But I do have some complaints.

First of all, no matter what you do, you can never have a version in a stack other than the top one appear in a aperture made website.

Secondly, Aperture makes the ugliest and most confusing CSS websites I've ever seen. Not only that, but since they don't have ANY templates that design pure HTML sites, it is difficult to absorb them into an existing CSS website using Dreamweaver templates. I figured out a work around using an include command, but I have to change the .css file it makes to comment out all the "clear: both;" commands it has about 20 times. And this makes the individual pages look bad unless I leave certain editable regions blank so they don't take up space. Come on Apple.

iMeowbot
Apr 14, 2006, 12:02 PM
I'm stil waiting for Corel Painter to come out of beta.
It's like that on purpose. They're only trying to help by making sure you suffer for your art.

Aperture is just a case of Apple being Apple. They're too arrogant to ask customers about features and pricing before release time.

JGowan
Apr 14, 2006, 12:12 PM
I agree with the angry mob! Early adopters will be shafted by a $200 price drop. They could have at least waited a few more months to lower the price.

Here's hoping Apple provides rebates for those who paid $499 for beta-quality software.

Ridiculous! When Apple released Aperture, Lightroom wasn't out... there was no competition. Competition always drives price down. Haven't you ever heard that competition is good for consumers?

I think it's amazing that Apple is offering the $200 coupon for online use! There's not a lot of companies that would do that.

Beta-quality? Honestly, have you even used the software?

As far as price is concerned... no one forced anyone to buy the software. I get so tired of hearing this thing. Someone buys something and then Apple either brings out a better version (ipod, computer, software [and almost always at a lower price]) and all of the people who bought 32 days ago piss and moan about getting screwed. Apple has to sell their products. They have to keep moving forward to entice new users.

Everyone knows that computers are always on a cycle and that if they wait just a little bit longer, they'll get something better. At some point, you just have to buy. When Apple comes out later with a better version at a lower price, you just have to get over it.

As far as Apple giving the $200 coupon, I still think it's ABOVE AND BEYOND what any other company would do.

Multimedia
Apr 14, 2006, 12:46 PM
Don't know why you look at 3rd party sources when we have Apple.com....:confused:
Thanks Platform. I was looking at the Apple.com site. But somehow when I was looking yesterday, the NVIDEA 6600 wasn't listed. Now I see it is. :confused: Maybe my eyesight is failing or they added it. Seems the Minimum Requirements page I was looking at before was a different one. Oh well. Or perhaps I was looking at the recommended list instead of the minimum list.

Minimum System Requirements
One of the following Macintosh computers:
Power Mac G5 with a 1.8 gigahertz (GHz) or faster PowerPC G5 processor
iMac with 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor
MacBook Pro
15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with a 1.25 GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor
Mac OS X “Tiger” version 10.4.6 (or later)
1GB of RAM
Display with 1280-by-854 (or higher) resolution
One of the following graphics cards:
ATI Radeon x600 Pro or x600 XT
ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition
ATI Radeon X850 XT
ATI Radeon X1600
ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, or 9650
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600
ATI Mobility X1600
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE or 6600
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
5GB of disk space for application, sample projects, and tutorial
DVD drive for installation

Eidorian
Apr 14, 2006, 12:49 PM
I'll be working with 5-7 MP images. It's doubtful that I'll be working with RAW's. (I'm a poor student. :D ) I might be able to borrow a SLR from our Digital Learning Center. Any clue on the performance on my iMac G5 Rev. B 2.0 GHz?

iPhoto is nice but I want more options.

dudemac
Apr 14, 2006, 01:05 PM
Ok, if you use the hardware check workaround to do the installation, then update to 1.01 and then 1.1 Aperture runs on the Core Duo Mini without any modifications to the Aperture application as was required for unsupported hardware. So I guess the new Mac Mini's are supported and this probably will be fixed with the 1.1 boxed version.

Curious as to how it runs. I have been using Lightroom and iPhoto to manage my photo shoots. But I think Aperature could replace about 95% of my work flow. I have a core duo mini with 2gigs. I would love to know if how it works.

thanks

Multimedia
Apr 14, 2006, 01:36 PM
ok, got some questions for you.
The price drop sparked my interest, but i am a bit concerned about the hardware requirements. I won't buy a new desktop until PM goes intel, so my question is:
Do you think Aperture would run ok on a PM MD dual 1.25, 1GB RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4600 128 MB?
If so, do you know if Aperture supports RAW files from Leica D-Lux 2?According to the minimum page, no G4 PowerMacs work with it although my single 1.25 GHz G4 PowerBook does. :confused: I guess it's because your video card isn't in the list of what works. Perhaps if you upgrade your video card to an ATI best AGP for G4 PM it will? I don't know for sure though. :confused:

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 14, 2006, 02:53 PM
According to the minimum page, no G4 PowerMacs work with it although my single 1.25 GHz G4 PowerBook does. :confused: I guess it's because your video card isn't in the list of what works. Perhaps if you upgrade your video card to an ATI best AGP for G4 PM it will? I don't know for sure though. :confused:
So you do use Aperture on your PB? What kind of VC do you have? I was under the impression PB didnt have more than 128MB VRAM and my VC has 128MB VRAM...:confused: Besides, didnt the (supported) 1.8GHz iMac have 64Mb VRAM?
Has anyone here tried Aperture on a PM G4?
Aperture is cheaper now, but not cheap enough to use as a doorstop.

Eidorian
Apr 14, 2006, 02:54 PM
You need Core Image support guys. It seems that Aperture's non-destructive editing is based on using Core Image filters to process in real time. Please...don't go on how the FX5200 is supported under Core Image in OS X.

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 14, 2006, 03:09 PM
You need Core Image support guys. It seems that Aperture's non-destructive editing is based on using Core Image filters to process in real time. Please...don't go on how the FX5200 is supported under Core Image in OS X.
So basically I need to upgrade my video card? :confused:
I thought it was all in the VRAM, but apparently I was incorrect in my assumption.

Eidorian
Apr 14, 2006, 03:13 PM
So basically I need to upgrade my video card? :confused:
I thought it was all in the VRAM, but apparently I was incorrect in my assumption.Well, it's odd that it runs on 1.25 GHz G4 PowerBooks while it won't on a later era Dual G4 Power Mac. But the GPU follower by the CPU seem to be the biggest components to the program. There's more then likely a workaround. I think there was a mention for the Intel Mac Mini in this thread.

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 14, 2006, 03:46 PM
Well, it's odd that it runs on 1.25 GHz G4 PowerBooks while it won't on a later era Dual G4 Power Mac. But the GPU follower by the CPU seem to be the biggest components to the program. There's more then likely a workaround. I think there was a mention for the Intel Mac Mini in this thread.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the GPU of a PM G4 equal supperior of a PB G4? The CPU is equal at speed, so that can't be it.
Well, I guess I have to get back to you when I have installed the program.

Eidorian
Apr 14, 2006, 04:34 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the GPU of a PM G4 equal supperior of a PB G4? The CPU is equal at speed, so that can't be it.
Well, I guess I have to get back to you when I have installed the program.Once you get a 9600 or a 9800 on your Power Mac G4 you have the an edge over the PowerBook (Mobility GPU vs. Full Card GPU) I still don't see why you can't install it hardware wise on the Power Mac G4. Other then Apple's hardware check and installation lockout.

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 14, 2006, 05:00 PM
Once you get a 9600 or a 9800 on your Power Mac G4 you have the an edge over the PowerBook (Mobility GPU vs. Full Card GPU) I still don't see why you can't install it hardware wise on the Power Mac G4. Other then Apple's hardware check and installation lockout.
I will give it a shot as soon as I get Aperture. I really dont want to invest in a new GPU. As I wrote above, I will be upgrading to a new PM as soon as it goes Intel. (I need to run some applications that are on Windows only) My plan is to have the MDD as a ftp/mail server after I retire it. No need for a fancy GPU as a server.

Eidorian
Apr 14, 2006, 05:06 PM
I will give it a shot as soon as I get Aperture. I really dont want to invest in a new GPU. As I wrote above, I will be upgrading to a new PM as soon as it goes Intel. (I need to run some applications that are on Windows only) My plan is to have the MDD as a ftp/mail server after I retire it. No need for a fancy GPU as a server.You won't be able to run Aperture unless you have a Radeon 9600 or the NVidia 6xxx series video card or greater. It RELIES on Core Image support.

iGary
Apr 14, 2006, 05:09 PM
Well, my computer is back with two new processors and a new logic board, so I can test drive 1.1 - woo hoo.

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 14, 2006, 05:34 PM
You won't be able to run Aperture unless you have a Radeon 9600 or the NVidia 6xxx series video card or greater. It RELIES on Core Image support.
Hmmm, I guess I have to upgrade the GPU then...:(
Anyhow, thanks for your help.
Edit: I just cancelled the order. I don't see any point in getting a $200 GPU to a computer that most likely will retire to a mail server within 6 months. I guess I will have to live with PS...

phatpat88
Apr 15, 2006, 05:09 PM
i wonder what adobe is feeling right now :eek:

chukronos
Apr 15, 2006, 10:12 PM
i wonder what adobe is feeling right now :eek:

Probably pretty good. Lightroom is great. They just changed the direction of apple's software developement. Evidently, apple is going to have to do some work to catch up. I know I am going to get some grief for saying this: I use Picasa on an additional windows laptop instead of using iPhoto. I think iPhoto is lacking compared to Picasa.
-Chuck

rdbishop
Apr 15, 2006, 10:33 PM
Curious as to how it runs. I have been using Lightroom and iPhoto to manage my photo shoots. But I think Aperature could replace about 95% of my work flow. I have a core duo mini with 2gigs. I would love to know if how it works.

thanks

Well, I decided to uninstall it on my Mini Core Duo. For cataloging and fixing exposure it runs pretty well, but when you try to use the straighten tool it slows down to almost unusable. Also when I applied many fixes to an image I saw some weird bugs, where Aperture didn't crash, but the image actually disappeared from the library... that happened twice. I only have 1gb of RAM on my mini although I doubt the 2gb will solve the problem as its mostly a video card issue. The intel 950 is a pretty good integrated chipset but it doesn't cut it for Aperture, especially not if you are running at a high resolution. The performance issues coupled with the fact that I found the results from my conversions in Lightroom to be superior led me to uninstall. I'll keep it on my Powerbook G4 for now, but once Lightroom goes commercial that might change.

Bocheememon
Apr 16, 2006, 07:58 AM
Well, I decided to uninstall it on my Mini Core Duo. For cataloging and fixing exposure it runs pretty well, but when you try to use the straighten tool it slows down to almost unusable. Also when I applied many fixes to an image I saw some weird bugs, where Aperture didn't crash, but the image actually disappeared from the library... that happened twice. I only have 1gb of RAM on my mini although I doubt the 2gb will solve the problem as its mostly a video card issue. The intel 950 is a pretty good integrated chipset but it doesn't cut it for Aperture, especially not if you are running at a high resolution. The performance issues coupled with the fact that I found the results from my conversions in Lightroom to be superior led me to uninstall. I'll keep it on my Powerbook G4 for now, but once Lightroom goes commercial that might change.

Aw... I guess I won't be buying Aperture then if it is unusable on a 1.6 mini w/2gb of ram. iPhoto zips through 6mp Nikon RAW files so fast even in the editing the photos. I use pro apps like Photoshop, and have been using Lightroom for awhile. But iPhoto works faster? That blew my mind when I decided to dump some of my files and play with it. I couldn't get similar performance from Universal Lightroom, Nikon Capture, or Photoshop(as rossetta emulated that is). However, iPhoto doesn't have close to as many options for editing as the following programs. Less options could equal greater performance.

Well, I generalized that if iPhoto works fast with 6mp RAW then Aperture wouldn't be too different in performance. However, iPhoto and Aperture are probably built very differently.

:(

*weeps bitterly*

arildeugen
Apr 17, 2006, 02:33 PM
What about us in Europe (Norway) where we paid $690 for our Aperture? Why don’t American companies realize that we also keep you alive.

Arild

NATO
Apr 19, 2006, 09:35 AM
For Aperture buyers in the UK, there is an e-coupon 'coming soon' at www.apple.com/uk/promo/aperture

£130 for Full Price Buyers,
£80 for Academic Buyers

amberashby
Apr 23, 2006, 04:04 PM
Has anyone received their E coupon yet?

NATO
Apr 24, 2006, 03:58 PM
The UK e-Coupon is now available at www.apple.com/uk/promo/aperture

iGary
Apr 24, 2006, 03:59 PM
Wishful thinking, but has anyone gotten their rebate yet in the U.S.??

turtlebud
Apr 28, 2006, 02:46 PM
Wishful thinking, but has anyone gotten their rebate yet in the U.S.??

wondering the same thing - apple is usually pretty timely in sending out their rebates/promo offers.

amberashby
May 4, 2006, 12:39 PM
No one has gotten their coupon code yet? If I'm not mistaken it is supposed to be emailed. I was worried that they may have mistyped my email address, but apparently no one has gotten their coupon code yet.

Anyone?????

iGary
May 4, 2006, 01:13 PM
Not me - and I'm just putting it towards AppleCare for the new PB, so I guess my excitement level has dropped - I'll keep an eye out, though!

JackSYi
Sep 2, 2006, 12:48 AM
I use Aperture for my 3.2 mp pictures. I like the advance features iPhoto cannot give.

Roy
Sep 2, 2006, 09:27 AM
I use Aperture for my 3.2 mp pictures. I like the advance features iPhoto cannot give.

JackSYi,

I'm not quite sure about what Aperture actually would compare to. I'm familiar (but not really competent) with Adobe PhotoShop and Photo Element, but how does Aperture compare with these 2. I can get an educator's discount and it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than PhotoShop, but I'm not sure about the features of Aperture and I've looked at the demo's. I'll be upgrading to a Mac Pro, from a G4, soon and I'm looking to upgrade my software and Aperture is now universal, which is a plus.

Any help you can give this inquiring mind, I would definitely appreciate.:)

Roy on the SunCoast of Florida

Silentwave
Sep 2, 2006, 09:54 AM
aperture is closer to Adobe Lightroom (beta) than PS