Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Hi,

I am having trouble burning multi-session DVD's (dvd-r) on my intel iMac using Roxio's Toast (v6).

I have to be missing something here because if I just burn a regular data dvd with some files on, select the burn button and from the advanced tab, the "close disk" checkbox is unchecked (so it leaves the disc open for more sessions.

Burn the data, eject the disc, pop it back in, and try to burn another session onto it, but it says the disc is not writable!

I've tried using DAO and TAO, but neither will allow me to continue further sessions.

Any help here appreciated, otherwise I'm ending up writing small bits of data on multiple dvd-r's which is totally unncessary.

Thanks

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
stay far far far away from multi-session DVDs on the mac... the Finder cannot mount them reliably... and even though DB lets you make them, they warn you that they can't always be read.

toast doesn't let you make them, because the OS can't read them.

i wouldn't do it if i were you.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
road dog said:
stay far far far away from multi-session DVDs on the mac... the Finder cannot mount them reliably... and even though DB lets you make them, they warn you that they can't always be read.

toast doesn't let you make them, because the OS can't read them.

i wouldn't do it if i were you.

Wha??

I burned my 110 Gig iTunes library with Toast 7. I just dragged the entire library into Toast, and clicked burn. When one disc was done, it asked my to put in another one, and so on and so on..I've gone back and gotten stuff off of those backup DVD's many times, mounts fine, works fine....

Couldn't have been any easier.

Maybe i'm not reffering to the same thing you guys are...

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
stoid said:
Indeed you are. They are talking about a DVD that when mounted is more than one disc icon. Multiple disks on a single disc.

oh ok my bad....

I've seen those work on my machine with a mountable .dmg

but I've never tried it with an actual DVD disc.

So, I'll take your word for it that it won't work.

sorry for the confusion.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
wow.. so multi-session discs dont work on macs properly? :eek:

isn't that a big drawback? hmm.. maybe i'll have to get used to always having 4.7GB of data in one go to write!! pretty lame tho, IMO..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.