PDA

View Full Version : Anyone thought of modding a G4 iMac with an Intel Mini?

Sharewaredemon
Apr 13, 2006, 11:22 AM
I was just thinking about how it might be possible to gut a G4 iMac and Intel Mac mini, and integrate the mini inside the iMac housing.

That would be a really cool thing to do in my Opinion, for those people who think the G4 iMac is a great looking computer.

Which it is....

The only think that would be difficult would be the optical drive, but perhaps the optical drive from the iMac could be left in, and the one from the mini could be taken out.

What do you guys think?

cybertron3
Apr 13, 2006, 11:28 AM
It is definately possible. But I believe the optical drive will be the least of your worries. The display could be (depending on how it is connected) very difficult to hook up. Assuming it is a standard VGA display that has its cable soldered to the motherboard (just one of a number of possibilities), you would need to find some way to hook it up to the mini. I cant even imagine having to splice a VGA connecter on the end. But if it does all work out, it would totally be worth it. Take pics!

Sharewaredemon
Apr 13, 2006, 12:22 PM
It is definately possible. But I believe the optical drive will be the least of your worries. The display could be (depending on how it is connected) very difficult to hook up. Assuming it is a standard VGA display that has its cable soldered to the motherboard (just one of a number of possibilities), you would need to find some way to hook it up to the mini. I cant even imagine having to splice a VGA connecter on the end. But if it does all work out, it would totally be worth it. Take pics!

Oh I have no intention of trying it, I just thought it would be a good idea, and wanted to see what other people thought about it.