PDA

View Full Version : The 15,000 layer Photoshop file!

aricher
Apr 13, 2006, 11:31 AM
Bert Monroy a "digital photo-realist artist" has created a massive Illustrator/Photoshop panorama of a Chicago "L" stop:

http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/text/fineart_damen.htm

(This link takes awhile to load in for some reason)

"This is my latest and most ambitious digital painting of a Chicago scene unveiled at Photoshop World in Miami on March 22, 2006.
It is a panorama of the Damen Station on the Blue Line of the Chicago Transit Authority.

Adobe Illustrator was used for generating the majority of the basic shapes as well as all the buildings in the Chicago skyline.
The rest was created in Photoshop.

• The image size is 40 inches by 120 inches.
• The flattened file weighs in at 1.7 Gigabytes.
• It took eleven months (close to 2,000 hours) to create.
• The painting is comprised of close to fifty individual Photoshop files.
• Taking a cumulative total of all the files, the overall image contains over 15,000 layers.
• Over 500 alpha channels were used for various effects.
• Over 250,000 paths make up the multitude of shapes throughout the scene."

http://static.flickr.com/28/127985613_842e31117e_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/1/127985614_64e18dee63.jpg

Togglehead
Apr 13, 2006, 11:48 AM
thats intense.....

and im sure it takes a while due to the size of that image.....O.O

xPismo
Apr 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
That it really cool.

Kinda how i envision the Matrix looking... real, but not real at the same time.

I would like to see that printed really large somewhere.

aricher
Apr 13, 2006, 11:56 AM
I used to live a couple of blocks away from this "L" stop. The accuracy is fantastic. I wish I had enough time on my hands to take a crack at creating something like this. Ouch 11 months - 2,000 hours, better get to work. I hope he maxed out the RAM in his PowerMac. just saving that sucker would take awhile.

dornoforpyros
Apr 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
I've seen this guys work before and it's simply sick

Shaun.P
Apr 13, 2006, 12:03 PM
I've seen this guys work before and it's simply sick

Sick? What's sick about it?

Togglehead
Apr 13, 2006, 12:05 PM
sick as in ....SWEET, or AWESOME.

not stomach pains, or expulsion from the mouth

ATD
Apr 13, 2006, 12:08 PM
And I thought my files were big. I have to break apart files to keep from maxing out Photoshop, but that one is a monster!

I would love to see the making of this.

Shaun.P
Apr 13, 2006, 12:08 PM
I interpreted it as: twisted, perverted, corrupt, disturbed...

dornoforpyros
Apr 13, 2006, 12:21 PM

lol sick is good, great, awsome, amazing. Sorry, I hang out with too many snowboarders

Koodauw
Apr 13, 2006, 12:26 PM
So if I am correct, this is not a picture taken from a camera, but rather something he created with illustrator and photoshop?

If so that is downright amazing. It took me a good 5 mins of look at the picture after reading the description to even comprehend it wasnt real.

atari1356
Apr 13, 2006, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just take a photo of the place? :rolleyes: :p :D

Very impressive work.

iamhammill
Apr 13, 2006, 12:57 PM
So if I am correct, this is not a picture taken from a camera, but rather something he created with illustrator and photoshop?

If so that is downright amazing. It took me a good 5 mins of look at the picture after reading the description to even comprehend it wasnt real.

Me too. I'm still not sure exactly what it is.

Electro Funk
Apr 13, 2006, 01:41 PM
WOW.... AMAZING!!!!!

i wish i had skillz like that!

Stampyhead
Apr 13, 2006, 02:10 PM
Dang, that's freakin' amazing. Even after I found out it wasn't a photo it still looked like a photo! I can't imagine having that much patience, though.
That's the Blue Line Damen stop, isn't it? I used to live near the Brown Line Damen stop.

aricher
Apr 13, 2006, 02:17 PM
Yep - that's the Damen Blue Line stop in Wicker Park. And yep, that's freekin' amazing.

Eric5h5
Apr 13, 2006, 03:05 PM

"Sick" is the new "bad".

--Eric

Jaffa Cake
Apr 13, 2006, 03:14 PM
I hope he remembered to name all his layers. ;)

Fantastic piece of work.

baby duck monge
Apr 13, 2006, 03:19 PM
Man. I tell you that first one is basically photo-realistic. The second one looks 'off,' but it's hard to say why. Still damn near close, but not quite.

aricher
Apr 13, 2006, 03:24 PM
Man. I tell you that first one is basically photo-realistic. The second one looks 'off,' but it's hard to say why. Still damn near close, but not quite.

It's the light bulbs on the train that give it away for me. Otherwise it looks more like a 3D rendered scene than an Illustrator/Photoshop combo. As xPismo said it's all very Matrix-y looking. I thought I was pretty Photoshop savvy buy this guy has, as the kids say, "mad skillz." I would love to see this in person.

MacRumorUser
Apr 13, 2006, 03:25 PM
I would love to see the making of this.

All 2000 hours of it? :eek:

aricher
Apr 13, 2006, 03:32 PM

A time-lapse video using Boinx's iStopMotion would have been very cool to see. Heck, even a screenshot work-in-progress video would be cool.

dops7107
Apr 13, 2006, 03:38 PM
This is truly amazing - real talent. I would say the main thing that gives it away as not being a photograph - besides the ridiculous resolution - is that there's no haze in the distance. The colour's just a bit too even and saturated.

I wonder if the guy had to take hundreds of photos to get all the details so accurate. Doing a pan and zoom on that thing would be awesome.

dpaanlka
Apr 13, 2006, 03:40 PM
simply amazing...

everything looks real... except the light bulb lenses. i dont think i've ever seen a light bulb that brilliant looking

ATD
Apr 13, 2006, 04:14 PM

That would be painful. I'll settle for a few screenshots along the way. :rolleyes:

Les Kern
Apr 13, 2006, 04:35 PM

You have to watch American Chopper... :)

emw
Apr 13, 2006, 04:44 PM
This is truly a mind-boggling effort. To think it took nearly a year to put this together is almost too much to comprehend.

I have some basic doodling skills, but to see art like this...

Wow.

ChicoWeb
Apr 13, 2006, 05:29 PM
Looks pretty bad ass. Hope someone is getting some good money for all that work. And hope you don't accidently save it flat ;) ( can't even count how many times I've done that)

dcv
Apr 13, 2006, 05:41 PM
Wow! I assumed that was just a photograph (the top one I mean). Upon closer inspection there are a few items that look a little artificial, for example the side panels on the shelters and also I think the red brick building on the right hand side looks a little 'flat' or perhaps too clean. Am not criticising it though; it is an amazing piece of work! The second one does look slightly more computer-generated, but again, on first glance I thought it was a photo.

Orlando Furioso
Apr 13, 2006, 05:44 PM
I wonder if the guy had to take hundreds of photos to get all the details so accurate. Doing a pan and zoom on that thing would be awesome.

That's what I was thinking. The amount of reference material must have been an insane amount also. I wonder what he does for file management. EEK.

Marky_Mark
Apr 13, 2006, 06:19 PM
Just take a picture of the place and move on with your life. This guy has way too much time on his hands.

Mr. Jones
Apr 13, 2006, 06:56 PM
Just take a picture of the place and move on with your life. This guy has way too much time on his hands.
I think it was meant to be a demonstration of CS2's capabilities.

Hoef
Apr 13, 2006, 06:59 PM

Yeah not my kind of art .... Best artists I know move "beyond" realism

thedude110
Apr 13, 2006, 07:06 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't look very photo-realistic at all?

Yeah not my kind of art .... Best artists I know move "beyond" realism

I know where you're coming from. If I wanted to see something representational, I'd look at a photograph. Or I'd be some pretentious 19th century French guy (as opposed to some pretentious 21st century American guy. Fine.).

Which is not to say that it's not good work and not painstaking work. But which is to say ... god, it's kind of ... boring.

Mike Teezie
Apr 13, 2006, 08:31 PM
I think it's amazing.

And the second pic isn't a separate image, it's a 100% crop view of the overall painting.

MacsomJRR
Apr 13, 2006, 08:37 PM
"Sick" is the new "bad".

--Eric

Yeah like 6 years ago:)

aricher
Apr 13, 2006, 09:37 PM
the red brick building on the right hand side looks a little 'flat' or perhaps too clean.
If you go to the actual location in Chicago and look at the red brick building it really is that clean. The real estate company that bought it freshly sandblasted and tuck-pointed the facade. He even got the white paint/dirt on the left raw brick side down exactly. The only part of the building that looks very fakey to me are the top windows. The lack of haze in the distance and the amazing depth of field also give it away but I think that's part of the point of the artist's photorealistic style - it makes the viewer really study it for inconsistencies. I used to get on the "L" at that stop every day for years. When I saw this artwork I swear I thought it was a photo - it's that accurate.

I emailed the artist today to see if he was planning on selling prints of this artwork. His reply was:

"I have not arrived on a price for the unlimited series yet.The smaller 12 x 36", unlimited will probably sell for $250. Later, Bert."

Sirus The Virus
Apr 13, 2006, 10:21 PM
I saw this guy on Tech TV once. He made a pretty good looking flag in Photoshop, I still remember how he did it. He's crazy.

Platform
Apr 14, 2006, 12:47 AM
You have to watch American Chopper... :)

Yes...it's great :D

But as said, this is AWSOME :eek:

2560*1600 please...hehe ;)

japasneezemonk
Apr 14, 2006, 02:06 AM
i used to live off the 54th/Cermak line in the south side of Chicago. Reminisce i will. Especially the time i got beat up right off the Pulaski L stop. never again did i ride the Blue Line. The Orange Line became my new friend.

kumbaya
Apr 14, 2006, 05:27 AM
With the Matrix, we started with reality, and then we improved it....
:eek:

kretzy
Apr 14, 2006, 05:34 AM
The abilities of some people amaze me. I mean I get scared as soon as I've got more than 5 layers in PS! The first one is extremely realistic, the second one not so much, but it still looks great!

dogbone
Apr 14, 2006, 07:40 AM
You know what would be really cool. After he finished the project and exibited it, he trashes the file and all prints.

Sort of like those designs that Tibetan Buddhist monks make out of coloured grains of sand, there are four people working simultaneously producing the most elaborate mandalas complete with drop shadowed caligraphy. Because they are working from the edge inwards, one person is working upside down. After it's finished they sweep it up.

saunders45
Apr 14, 2006, 07:45 AM
Bert's a freakin psycho. Every year at Photoshop world, I go to one of his classes. At this year's PSW in Miami, they had that image printed up full size. Even standing six inches away, it was still purty. He's like the freakin Bob Ross of Photoshop. He does this stuff in his spare time between writing books, teachins PS classes, and helping out Industrail Light & Magic. On top of it all, he's a nice guy. He'll chat with ya, and doesn't have the "look what I can do" attitude.

displaced
Apr 14, 2006, 09:51 AM
... He's like the freakin Bob Ross of Photoshop.

A digital Bob Ross? Excellent!

"Yeah.... that's nice. Now let's add some big ol' clouds. (click!... click!). Yeah... look at em... all (click!)... thundery. Nice! Ookaay. Now, How about some trees? Yeah. (click!) A big ol' tree. Bam. Yeah, I like that. (click!... click!). Hi, Mr Squirrel! Yeah! Lets have a squirrel up in that big 'ol tree! (clickety-click).... Nice! Now, let's open our colour palette... click ourselves some Titanium White... Yeah!"

aricher
Apr 14, 2006, 10:27 AM
http://www.weberart.com/img_prod/bob/br0_sm.jpghttp://www.davezilla.com/archives/BigBadBobRoss.jpg

displaced
Apr 14, 2006, 11:17 AM
http://www.weberart.com/img_prod/bob/br0_sm.jpghttp://www.davezilla.com/archives/BigBadBobRoss.jpg

Ah.... the Whitefro! Truly, the hairstyle of the Gods!

whooleytoo
Apr 14, 2006, 11:23 AM

I actually thought the second one was simply zooming in on the train in the first picture.

I wonder what resolution the entire image is?

aricher
Apr 14, 2006, 12:23 PM
The second one is just a zoom in on that portion of the whole image. The detail of everything in the whole depth of field is amazing.

thecheda
Apr 14, 2006, 12:24 PM
2000 hours?! that is some eyestrain. i hope he had a 30 inch acd.

p0intblank
Apr 14, 2006, 12:40 PM
That's insane... I can't imagine how large the file size is! :eek:

Mal
Apr 14, 2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I saw the picture and couldn't figure out what was so special for a while either, until I reread it and realized it wasn't a photo. That's incredible.

jW

rjfiske
Apr 14, 2006, 01:44 PM
This guy has been at it awhile. Check this out... from the mid-80s!

http://www.bertmonroy.com/archive/text/macpaint.htm

Bert Monroy is astounding. I highly recommend his book "Photoshop Studio with Bert Monroy". Very interesting... caused me to take a more creative look at my Photoshop work.

- rjf

Eric5h5
Apr 14, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah like 6 years ago:)

But not in the mainstream, as aptly demonstrated by the question which sparked this series of replies. ;)

--Eric

weg
Apr 14, 2006, 05:44 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just take a photo of the place? :rolleyes: :p :D

After maxing out the RAM of his PowerMac he couldn't afford a camera anymore.. :D

irmongoose
Apr 14, 2006, 11:38 PM
Great skills, I admit.

Although, my art teacher attended the Photoshop Expo and he listened to one of that guy's presentations and said he was a total freak.

And is that piece worth spending 2000 hours on? I don't think so. Sure, it's realistic, but too much so to the point that a picture would have sufficed. And it's not all that artistic or creative, either...

irmongoose

w_parietti22
Apr 14, 2006, 11:54 PM
Whoa wait a second... he did that from SCRATCH???? :eek:!!!!

aricher
Apr 15, 2006, 08:38 AM
Whoa wait a second... he did that from SCRATCH???? :eek:!!!!

My guess is that he took a pano photo at the location and then pathed out the whole thing in Illustrator/Photoshop. He then used those 2 programs to recreate the entire scene. I also suspect that he took tons of smaller location reference photos to refer to while working on small details.

Give me money
Apr 16, 2006, 01:19 AM
That would've been fun to make I wish I had that kind of time to do that.:eek: