PDA

View Full Version : Touchscreen Video iPod Delayed?

MacRumors
Apr 13, 2006, 12:13 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret reports (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0604videoipod.html) that the long-rumored Video iPod with Touchscreen (mockup images (http://guides.macrumors.com/Gallery_of_Video_iPod_Mockups)) has been delayed due to technical issues.

Sources speaking on condition of anonymity say issues emerged with the technology that have sent Apple and the display's manufacturer back to the drawing board to find a solution.

As a result, the final release date for the product remains uncertain, however, it is still expected by to be release in time for the 2006 holiday season.

As previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060302125931.shtml), the video iPod is expected to be launched alongside a movie-download service for iTunes. Apple is said to still be in negotiations about licensing content for this service.

freeny
Apr 13, 2006, 12:14 PM
still waiting.........:(

hopefully this is just a "rumor".

DJ Bliss
Apr 13, 2006, 12:16 PM
Touchscreens are bad idea anyway. Apple should be focusing on an ultraportable.

Bring on the intel iBooks! (As well)

~Shard~
Apr 13, 2006, 12:18 PM
Although delays are never good, I'd rather Apple take their time and perform the necessary QC on such an important product as opposed to rushing it to market. If it ends up being Q4 until we see it, so be it.

Of course, I say this being someone who is not in desparate need of a new iPod and is waiting for this device... ;) :cool:

dornoforpyros
Apr 13, 2006, 12:18 PM
wow, so the fantacy product, that doesn't make any sence (how do you press a button that isn't there? and who wants finger grease on their video screen) also doesn't exsist, big surprise :rolleyes:

macpastor
Apr 13, 2006, 12:19 PM
Lets get some things out people want to use. And, Apple does not need to do it right when they deliver a product. I went through 3 MacBook Pro's with issues and got fed up and took the last one back and got my $$$ back.

I have a iPod w/video. Do we need another one so fast? Who knows. Just upsets everyone who just bought one.

Bring on the MacBook!

speedemonV12
Apr 13, 2006, 12:23 PM
hopefully just a rumor, i sold my video so that i would be able to get one of these, hopefully coming out in April at the 30th anniversary, guess that didnt happen. hopefully they come out with it soon, a full screen video would be nice, it gets hard after a while to keep looking at that small screeen. I am waiting for Merom update in the Mac Book Pro, along with Leopard!!!

~Shard~
Apr 13, 2006, 12:29 PM
(how do you press a button that isn't there?

It's called touch screen technology.

and who wants finger grease on their video screen)

If Apple can develop an advanced device like this I'm sure they can come up with a solution that prevents finger grease from mucking up the screen.

also doesn't exsist, big surprise :rolleyes:

How can something that doesn't exist be delayed? :confused: It exists, it's just been delayed, plain and simple.

freeny
Apr 13, 2006, 12:29 PM
hopefully just a rumor, i sold my video so that i would be able to get one of these, hopefully coming out in April at the 30th anniversary, guess that didnt happen. hopefully they come out with it soon, a full screen video would be nice, it gets hard after a while to keep looking at that small screeen. I am waiting for Merom update in the Mac Book Pro, along with Leopard!!!
Looks like you and I are waiting for the exact same things. Add a few needed apps in UB too.

iSee
Apr 13, 2006, 12:30 PM
Let me get this straight: A rumored product with no actual release date is delayed...according to yet another rumor?

Right. :rolleyes:

I think ThinkSecrect (TS's source) is just trying to explain why the "true" video iPod they said was coming out in March/April isn't.

This whole thing is getting more and more far fetched. Maybe this thread should be transfered to page 2 due to a lack of credibiliy.

Maybe TS should stick to the easy stuff. You know, "PowerMacs, additional MacBook models all to be released by the end of the year!" (Source: public speech by Steve Jobs). :D

chaos86
Apr 13, 2006, 12:30 PM
well the finger grease wont really be an issue if they pick the right material. there are some plastics out there that dont show grease too badly, and some that dont scratch much too. the button thing is tricky, tap to click i guess; not my favorite technology.

my guess is that the back-to-the-drawingboard problem was probably something to do with static or interference or something similar that wouldnt show up in labs, only in pockets.

KindredMAC
Apr 13, 2006, 12:35 PM
I wonder if it was the scratching issue that set them back...

Or possibly stability? Something the size of the iPod and the whole of it is a translicent screen can't be horribly easy to keep from cracking maybe?

sam10685
Apr 13, 2006, 12:40 PM
this is horrible. now what do i do? i don't have an ipod.

interlard
Apr 13, 2006, 12:40 PM
This rumor is a FAKE. The widescreen video iPod is actually coming out tomorrow.

yeoldwizard1
Apr 13, 2006, 12:44 PM
nooooooooooooooooooo

it has to come out by the summer..... i cant believe that they were that close to release and then go back to square one. I mean, they DID end up doing something for their 30th anniversary: they updated OS X and gave us Boot Camp beta (albeit a little later).

Ja Di ksw
Apr 13, 2006, 12:48 PM
this is horrible. now what do i do? i don't have an ipod.

buy one? Or don't buy one? My guess is those are your only two options. If you can think of a third, please let me know, I'll be impressed (and maybe understand my gf more)

sam10685
Apr 13, 2006, 12:49 PM
This rumor is a FAKE. The widescreen video iPod is actually coming out tomorrow.

i hope ur right. has Apple ever done a silent release that major?

(L)
Apr 13, 2006, 12:50 PM
This is not much of a rumor. iPods are great business and Apple acted like one is in the works, but no iPod yet, despite major dates.

Some of the less plastics-inclined geeks here probably don't realize it, but touchscreen technology shouldn't translate into an impossible problem nobody can solve and we all have to be skeptical about. No, rather, we don't know jack and there are people that do, and besides, Apple wouldn't work on 1) an impossible product or 2) a product so faulted people would complain as they did with the Nano screens. Touchscreens have a huge cool factor, and getting in there with a big change is the way to stay ahead.

However, staying ahead is taking some developmental problems. OK. And? What's the rumors? Will Apple abandon touch screen for its next iPod? The longer they keep it secret the longer I'll have to hear this kind of redundant news along with more and more people wanting the iPod to be their next every-inch-of-tech-I-could-think-of piece of junk. Next Newton? :mad: Next iPhone?:mad: What those guys want is an iPod that is no longer a music player. People thinking too hard about how impossible touchscreen is are considering an iPod that can't stay ahead of the competition for the next years to come.

Hopefully this delay is one that is only hard to fix, and not both hard to fix AND a major problem like the screen responds only half the time or touchscreen is impossible to work with or hd doesn't fit. If they're trying to figure out what to do to keep the iPod from responding to the inside of your pocket while you walk and play music, fine. If they screwed up, :eek: !

But Q4? Darn it.

Chris Bangle
Apr 13, 2006, 12:52 PM
Apple insider said that the 60gb is on a 60 day risk risk. The 60 days are ending on the 17th ish of April... Come on Apple give us a new ipod by the 17th.....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1602

This article holds the key. The last line is the most important..... Also stock of 60gb's in the UK is low. John Lewis and Apple UK are out of stock and shipping in 2 days respectivly. Thsi has to point to something.

oliverlubin
Apr 13, 2006, 12:54 PM
am i the only one who thinks that thinksecret has had a bad track record of accuracy as of late?

(L)
Apr 13, 2006, 12:55 PM
i hope ur right. has Apple ever done a silent release that major?

As in, no. I think. It doesn't make any sense - Aperture is to a select audience. iPod users number in the millions. No, they don't listen to Jobbo, but there should be commercials, a QT thing, and such, because a surprising number of people DO pay attention. And whether it be journalists or mac fan boys, the news spreads quicker the way you want it if you give them pointers to how great your product is. Get my drift?

On the other hand, the recent releases of Remote Desktop and Aperture were probably meant for 4-1-06. Why now instead? No iPod ready = hold out till later or release separately = wait up a bit to see if it looks like iPod will be solved soon = when this fails, release the software now, announce it later if you can.

Humph.

A shame though. With these kind of rumors, Apple stocks are plummeting.

Chris Bangle
Apr 13, 2006, 01:01 PM
Apple insider said that the 60gb is on a 60 day risk risk. The 60 days are ending on the 17th ish of April... Come on Apple give us a new ipod by the 17th.....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1602

This article holds the key. The last line is the most important..... Also stock of 60gb's in the UK is low. John Lewis and Apple UK are out of stock and shipping in 2 days respectivly. Thsi has to point to something.

Whistleway
Apr 13, 2006, 01:01 PM
I smell another copland in action. This is how iPod will lose its position as a market leader, just like the Macs fallen from their high and mighty :( Sad days..

treblah
Apr 13, 2006, 01:02 PM
ThinkSecret Lies!!!!1111one!!1eleven :rolleyes:

Get a grip people. Here's an idea: Start your own rumors site and build your own sources inside Apple/their supply chain and then you will always know what is gonna happen next.

This is how iPod will lose its position as a market leader…

I'm not going to get into why that is totally ridiculous statement.

The iPod with Video came out exactly 6 months ago. How often do you want them updated? Every 3 months? So you can complain that you just bought one before Apple updated?

Chris Bangle
Apr 13, 2006, 01:10 PM
60 DAY AT RISK LIST. read my other post. 60GB=60DAY RISK LIST

Leoff
Apr 13, 2006, 01:10 PM
(how do you press a button that isn't there? and who wants finger grease on their video screen)

Obviously you're someone who's never used a touch-screen display before.

bigandy
Apr 13, 2006, 01:11 PM
i think there's a real possibility of an update to a touchscreen here. and i don't think it's a bad thing - people will understand it when it arrives.

and it's good that if it's not to their satisfaciton it's being pulled - that's showing they're using their noggins. :rolleyes:

Lollypop
Apr 13, 2006, 01:13 PM
I dont really care how long apple takes to bring out the video ipod (if it even excists) but they have to get content first, whats the use of having a huge beautifull screen if all you can do is watch music videosand a few episodes of some TV serries .... whoo hoo!

Bring movies out or something else worth the attention and I will start paying attention to these rumors again, cus im personally getting a bit tired of this one.

nagromme
Apr 13, 2006, 01:19 PM
Well, back to the drawing board on one key component doesn't mean back to THE drawing board.

Better later and better than earlier and not good enough.

ccrandall77
Apr 13, 2006, 01:20 PM
I have a iPod w/video. Do we need another one so fast? Who knows. Just upsets everyone who just bought one.

I don't mean to yell at you, but I have to vent about complaints of iPod upgrades because "I just bought one"! Technology moves on, it's not going to put itself on hold because you just bought something and don't want it to be obsolete the next day. And just because a new iPod comes out doesn't make the old one obsolete (unless they change the dock connector).

Judging from previous buzz about this product, people do want the vPod. And as for all of the complaints about fingerprints, etc.... I've had several PDAs and don't have issues with this. Plus, if you read Digg, they had a story out a few months ago about a coating that could prevent fingerprints and scratches on these types of surfaces. How do you not know if Apple is planning on use something like that or not.

For me and a lot of other people, a touchscreen iPod would be great. I use an Archos AV-500 and I love it, but I'd rather have something that's more user friendly and integrates with my Macs.

EricNau
Apr 13, 2006, 01:33 PM
Oh, well. :(

It better be perfect by the time it reaches the market (as Apple can't really afford any more flaws in design).

rye9
Apr 13, 2006, 01:34 PM
In the mean time I just want a 5G iPod with better battery while we wait for a touchscreen iPod.

supremedesigner
Apr 13, 2006, 01:37 PM
Lets get some things out people want to use. And, Apple does not need to do it right when they deliver a product. I went through 3 MacBook Pro's with issues and got fed up and took the last one back and got my $$$ back.

Bring on the MacBook!

Well, don't forget us deaf peeps need bigger screen that support closed caption rather than today's iPod Video. :p

Hattig
Apr 13, 2006, 01:43 PM
If iPods are getting an update soon, it'll probably only be 60GB being replaced by an 80GB (and possibly the 30GB by a 40GB) in the same formfactor as the current ones. Next tuesday?

This story just makes the full display video iPod rumours look even less likely, although I think that a product like that will be released eventually.

m-dogg
Apr 13, 2006, 01:50 PM
...yawn...this is starting to remind me of the PB G5...yawn...

MacMosher
Apr 13, 2006, 02:02 PM
Hmm, I wonder why it's been delayed... o wait thats right. It's because they haven't even started to make them yet because everything is just a rumor and hear say, and things getting lost as it gets passed along turns into this crap.

My suggestion stop caring for a while, if you want the latest gadget wait a bit well find out what it is. But for now post on things that are a sure thing... i.e when apple makes announcements for releasments of new products then start speculating.

I mean this object isnt anywhere near a sure thing. I understand like posting on stuff like when the next intel based mac is arriving because it is bound to happen we know there switching to intel chips.

appleguyincbus
Apr 13, 2006, 02:09 PM
Maybe delayed means they were going to release it for the 30th year anniversary and it got backed up a bit.... I can't imagine them not having a large capacity video solution until the holidays. It's Apple..unless they made a big blunder, which I doubt will see these things in the next 30-60 days.

BlizzardBomb
Apr 13, 2006, 02:10 PM
60 DAY AT RISK LIST. read my other post. 60GB=60DAY RISK LIST

Did you even read the article?

According to sources, when Apple makes note of an item being placed on an "at risk list," it could mean one of many things, or nothing at all.

I wouldn't be too surprized if it means nothing at all... I really think Apple should put any new form factor iPod developments on hold and get out the new Macs as soon as possible.

appleguyincbus
Apr 13, 2006, 02:12 PM
Let me get this straight: A rumored product with no actual release date is delayed...according to yet another rumor?

Right. :rolleyes:

I think ThinkSecrect (TS's source) is just trying to explain why the "true" video iPod they said was coming out in March/April isn't.

This whole thing is getting more and more far fetched. Maybe this thread should be transfered to page 2 due to a lack of credibiliy.

Maybe TS should stick to the easy stuff. You know, "PowerMacs, additional MacBook models all to be released by the end of the year!" (Source: public speech by Steve Jobs). :D

I agree it's a rumor about a rumor.... but the fact is Apple has no 60GB video player..or a limited supply of them at best..... something new has to be coming soon.. maybe a touchscreen, maybe not... but some sort of new video pod must be around the corner(30-60days)...

appleguyincbus
Apr 13, 2006, 02:13 PM
Did you even read the article?

I wouldn't be too surprized if it means nothing at all... I really think Apple should put any new form factor iPod developments on hold and get out the new Macs as soon as possible.

the apple store/retailers in my town aren't stocking/ordering 60GBs anymore... something is up... whatever that something is could be anything...

quigleybc
Apr 13, 2006, 02:16 PM
Maybe we should all just get the origami.....

*ducks*

I kid....I kid....

Chris Bangle
Apr 13, 2006, 02:22 PM
the apple store/retailers in my town aren't stocking/ordering 60GBs anymore... something is up... whatever that something is could be anything...

Thats exactly what ive been trying to say.... If somebody read my other post on this thread they would understand. 60gb's are hard to come by on UK web stores.

I really think Apple should put any new form factor iPod developments on hold and get out the new Macs as soon as possible.

They have enough people working with them to do more than one thing at a time. 5g and imac update at the same time.... Hi-fi and intel mini at the same time.... What a struggle apple must be having..

Proud Liberal
Apr 13, 2006, 02:26 PM
but the fact is Apple has no 60GB video player..or a limited supply of them at best..... something new has to be coming soon.. maybe a touchscreen, maybe not... but some sort of new video pod must be around the corner(30-60days)...

Huh??? :confused: what leads you to believe that there is no supply of 60GB iPods? The US Apple store shows shipping in 24 hours, and sites like Best Buy & Amazon.com don't indicate that they are out of them...

rockthecasbah
Apr 13, 2006, 02:27 PM
obviously nobody's going to be happy about a delay for a pretty cool product, but honestly i think everyone would agree that it will be worth the wait to have a product that isn't buggy. I mean think about how many newbie threads there will be "Ipod NOT WORKING!!!" or "HELP Ipod PROBLEM". I'd rather wait and not be overwhelmed by all that crap. :)

Chris Bangle
Apr 13, 2006, 02:34 PM
Huh??? :confused: what leads you to believe that there is no supply of 60GB iPods? The US Apple store shows shipping in 24 hours, and sites like Best Buy & Amazon.com don't indicate that they are out of them...

Youre right but Apple Store UK www.apple.com/uk/thestore are shipping them in 2 days which is unusual as they havnt just been launched. John Lewis is out of Stock of them. What is unusual is for a few days a few days ago amazon UK were shipping all pods aprt from 1gb nano and 30gb black in 1week. but now all of them are 24hours.

timmillwood
Apr 13, 2006, 02:35 PM
I might be able to afford one if they wont be out until christmas, but i want a PS3 then too.

What to buy?

I think i will stick with my 5g iPod

kerpow
Apr 13, 2006, 02:37 PM
obviously nobody's going to be happy about a delay for a pretty cool product, but honestly i think everyone would agree that it will be worth the wait to have a product that isn't buggy. I mean think about how many newbie threads there will be "Ipod NOT WORKING!!!" or "HELP Ipod PROBLEM". I'd rather wait and not be overwhelmed by all that crap. :)

Case in point - the iPod nano.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4294388.stm

HugMnster
Apr 13, 2006, 02:42 PM
I agree it's a rumor about a rumor.... but the fact is Apple has no 60GB video player..or a limited supply of them at best..... something new has to be coming soon.. maybe a touchscreen, maybe not... but some sort of new video pod must be around the corner(30-60days)...

I just ordered a 60 gig monday afternoon, Its on its way here from china. Too bad I had it shipped here to the office since we are closed tomorrow ( good Friday) an I want get it now til monday's delivery time. Oh well I can wait for few more days til monday, as long as I have it by my camping trip planned for the last week of the month :)

jack

kramerdude
Apr 13, 2006, 02:44 PM
I have to agree that CONTENT is the big key here. It seems that in the last month or so, everybody in the world is starting to sell movies and/or TV shows online now EXCEPT Apple. Many of these are even free for some period of time. ITMS definitely needs to get some things added so the thunder is not stolen. So if this mythical "v-pod" is on the way, I do hope that is brings along with it some stuff to watch on it!

Alex Duggan
Apr 13, 2006, 02:53 PM
Youre right but Apple Store UK www.apple.com/uk/thestore are shipping them in 2 days which is unusual as they havnt just been launched. John Lewis is out of Stock of them. What is unusual is for a few days a few days ago amazon UK were shipping all pods aprt from 1gb nano and 30gb black in 1week. but now all of them are 24hours.

All items on the UK Store that were previously 24 hours have increased to 2 days shipping - presumably because of it being the easter holiday weekend :)

dornoforpyros
Apr 13, 2006, 03:11 PM
When apple releases the next iPod and it's not anything like the mock-ups everyone's gonna be like "eww this sucks". I'm being realistic.

Peace
Apr 13, 2006, 03:17 PM
When apple releases the next iPod and it's not anything like the mock-ups everyone's gonna be like "eww this sucks". I'm being realistic.

You will be very happy with the next iPod;)

Yvan256
Apr 13, 2006, 03:18 PM
How do you press a button that isn't there?

The same way the 3rd gen. iPod works?

dornoforpyros
Apr 13, 2006, 03:22 PM
The same way the 3rd gen. iPod works?

umm the third gen had clearly defined buttons, they may have just been going on touch, but you were still only doing one thing when pushing them.

Look people think about it, you have a touch screen, which your scrolling around on with your thumb. Now how is a "virtual" scroll wheel suppose to register clicks from scrolling?

Also is my iPod the only one with rubs/scratches on the click wheel? Do you really want to watch video with a circular rub mark over half the screen?

I believe we'll see a wide screen iPod, I just don't think it will be anything like the mock ups.

zap2
Apr 13, 2006, 03:28 PM
buy one? Or don't buy one? My guess is those are your only two options. If you can think of a third, please let me know, I'll be impressed (and maybe understand my gf more)

Steal one, borrow one

Chris Bangle
Apr 13, 2006, 04:01 PM
All items on the UK Store that were previously 24 hours have increased to 2 days shipping - presumably because of it being the easter holiday weekend :)

Ahh c'est bon... Ok that explains that but John Lewis shouldnt be out of stock.... Whatever happend to bluetooth?

~Shard~
Apr 13, 2006, 04:03 PM
Look people think about it, you have a touch screen, which your scrolling around on with your thumb. Now how is a "virtual" scroll wheel suppose to register clicks from scrolling?

When Apple already has technology patented and working such as this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6379146923853181774), I don't see it being a difficult hurdle to overcome whatsoever. :cool:

Chris Bangle
Apr 13, 2006, 04:08 PM
"This delay could explain the somewhat uneven Keynote at Macworld 06, as well as the heralding of a leather case at the Apple Event in February, not to mention the lack of any Apple Event for the 30th anniversary of Apple Computer in April, and possibly the increasing severity of the Atlantic hurricane season."
Stolen from Ars Technica.....
They seem to have it it spot on.. Also what if Apple are feeding the rumors and they will launch it on tuesday and we will all (prentend) to be surprised and say how much we love Apple andd there brilliant surprises, (ipod cases, How fun) :) :D :cool:

Peace
Apr 13, 2006, 04:10 PM
We wont see the next iPod until we see the new MacBook.

jaxstate
Apr 13, 2006, 04:20 PM
I'd love a touch screen video iPod. As far as finger prints on them...who cares, just wipe them off:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

~Shard~
Apr 13, 2006, 04:24 PM
We wont see the next iPod until we see the new MacBook.

I think this is a fair prediction. The new MacBook should be coming in the next month or so, and with these potential delays I think we could possibly not see this new iPod until Q4 even. However, an announcement on it at WWDC in August sure would be welcome. :cool:

greenchester
Apr 13, 2006, 04:25 PM

Also is my iPod the only one with rubs/scratches on the click wheel? Do you really want to watch video with a circular rub mark over half the screen?

I believe we'll see a wide screen iPod, I just don't think it will be anything like the mock ups.

Have you ever seen or used a Palm or Treo?????

~Shard~
Apr 13, 2006, 04:26 PM
I'd love a touch screen video iPod. As far as finger prints on them...who cares, just wipe them off:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Or perhaps Apple will release iGlassCleaner, a handy portable soft cloth to wipe your screen clean. ;) :D

dornoforpyros
Apr 13, 2006, 04:30 PM
When Apple already has technology patented and working such as this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6379146923853181774), I don't see it being a difficult hurdle to overcome whatsoever. :cool:

The fact is my original post was refering to the fact that a rumored product is facing a rumored delay. As I said before, this touch screen iPod is a fantasy and here people are setting themselves up for dissapoinment. Might as well start another "g5 powerbooks next tuesday!!!1! thread"

jaxstate
Apr 13, 2006, 04:33 PM
Touchscreens are common nowadays. Most Pocket PCs have them, and they do video, audio, and act as a celly, so I don't see why a TS iPod is such a fantasy.
The fact is my original post was refering to the fact that a rumored product is facing a rumored delay. As I said before, this touch screen iPod is a fantasy and here people are setting themselves up for dissapoinment. Might as well start another "g5 powerbooks next tuesday!!!1! thread"

freeny
Apr 13, 2006, 04:37 PM
Why is TS the only ones running with this story? usually the other rumer sites follow shortly after....

~Shard~
Apr 13, 2006, 04:42 PM
Check out the link I provided. I have every confidence Apple has this rumored video iPod technology and we will be seeing it - it might just be a bit later than we initially thought. I could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident in this one. ;) :cool:

YoNeX
Apr 13, 2006, 04:42 PM
As long as I can get my notebook + free iPod (rebate) i'll be happy. :)

RodThePlod
Apr 13, 2006, 05:17 PM
Touchscreens are common nowadays. Most Pocket PCs have them, and they do video, audio, and act as a celly, so I don't see why a TS iPod is such a fantasy.

Apple released the first Newton device with a touch screen in 1993!! Surely they must have cracked it by now! (no pun intended).

My Newton MessagePad 2100 is almost 8 years old and the touch screen on that thing is scratch free and still works well.

If there are delays with this widescreen iPod I doubt they'd be just down to the screen tech...

RTP
www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel

iEdd
Apr 13, 2006, 05:24 PM
Will we be expecting 60GB and 80GB models for the same prices as the old ones in the next batch of iPods?

JDOG_
Apr 13, 2006, 05:28 PM
Rumor makes sense to me. Likewise, I can see them putting something out a month or so ago, getting it to a small, internal test market, and then getting some bad results back with people having issues.

Like others have mentioned, the touchscreen thing by itself is a great idea, whether or not I want that same screen to be part of the GUI is another story...if people were complaining about scratching before, they haven't seen anything yet.

Show me a PDA whose screen doesn't get some scratching after limited use even without the stylus (i.e. a Treo). Would you seriously want to watch videos on that? :confused:

kugino
Apr 13, 2006, 05:31 PM
...yawn...this is starting to remind me of the PB G5...yawn...
word.

i wouldn't be surprised if it never makes it to production...nice idea and i'll jump on it if/when it's announced...but i'm not too optimistic.

Jeefus
Apr 13, 2006, 05:41 PM
Whilst I like the idea, I'm a long way off being completely convinced by the rumours of the full screen video iPod. However I will be near the front of the queue to buy one if a product anything like the various mock ups is ever released.

It occurs to me that any "big" product announcements regarding the iPod or iTunes may simply be on hold until the results of the current legal action between Apple Computer and the Beatle's Apple Corporation are known... After all it would be a waste of money spending on marketing etc. for a product launch if you then found that you couldn't use the Apple brand in the music sector!

The other rumours regarding the remastering of the Beatle's back catalogue for the online music download services would also seem to fit in with a big announcement brewing for immediately after the case is settled. "Apple Comp and Apple Corp settle differences / Beatles remastered catalogue an iTunes exclusive". Nice headlines for our favourite computer company if it could get them.

Or perhaps I'm just a wild conspiracy theorist...

twoodcc
Apr 13, 2006, 06:17 PM
well i hate this news. i do want Apple to get it right and all, but i was hoping to get a new ipod in June for my birthday :( i might just get a current one, i don't care about the video part anyways

MrCrowbar
Apr 13, 2006, 06:24 PM
[...]
It occurs to me that any "big" product announcements regarding the iPod or iTunes may simply be on hold until the results of the current legal action between Apple Computer and the Beatle's Apple Corporation are known... After all it would be a waste of money spending on marketing etc. for a product launch if you then found that you couldn't use the Apple brand in the music sector!
[...]

<joking> Maybe "back to the drawing board" means that they're designing a Beatle's Fresco to engrave at the back of this new iPod. The technical problem is to have lots of shades of grey to make the engraving look good. </joking>

However I doubt that the touch screen itself is a problem since that issue would have occured much sooner in the design process. I guess it's related to power consumption, i.e. the backlighting eats up too much battery to watch a movie on a single battery load. Maybe the screen manufacturer has come up with new technology (OLED?) far superior to the intended screen and the engineers are now trying to "shoehorn" it into the video iPod.

...At least this means the video iPod will exist eventually.:rolleyes:

obeygiant
Apr 13, 2006, 06:36 PM
i will believe a vPod when I see it.

BWhaler
Apr 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
Given the significant quality issues with Apple of-late, I am happy to read Apple is taking quality seriously and is not afraid of going "back to the boards" and doing it right.

I look forward to the next iPod when it is ready. And I hope this reflects a reconnecting at Apple with the quality which its customers pay the premiums we do for.

Now, if they can only get the intel Macs back up to Apple quality levels...

reyesmac
Apr 13, 2006, 08:06 PM
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really want one of those! It better come with a screen condom that you can replace when it gets scratched up. Those touch screens are too sensitive to carry in your pocket all the time. I hope they fix it and start selling it soon.

boncellis
Apr 13, 2006, 08:20 PM
A: When there is not a definite release date scheduled.

This implies that Apple had an established release for the latest iPod. Otherwise, it looks like TS trying to cover themselves, similar to a "rumor" concerning the iBook replacement. I wonder if Mr. Jobs has found the "leak" and just toys with them when he gets bored. I think I would.

My B&W 4G iPod is going strong, but I'll jump on the next incarnation, surely.

macgeek2005
Apr 13, 2006, 08:21 PM
Apple isn't willing to release a compromise of a product. They always want, and always have achieved perfection. That's why they're such a great company.

Peace
Apr 13, 2006, 08:25 PM
It could very well be Apple already has the product ready but Steve's learned to wait until all the marketing chickens are lined up before doing another "one more thing".

boncellis
Apr 13, 2006, 08:32 PM
It could very well be Apple already has the product ready but Steve's learned to wait until all the marketing chickens are lined up before doing another "one more thing".

That could very well be, good point. If Apple decides to introduce it alongside the new notebook...well, I hope the good folks here at MacRumors have a server contingency.

Ghost2
Apr 13, 2006, 08:53 PM
Well if this rumors has any truth in it whatsoever then I am not surprised that apple is having trouble getting the touch-screen to work, because the technology necessary to get a virtual scroll wheel to work would be pretty advanced.

sartinsauce
Apr 13, 2006, 09:43 PM
I can't believe this rumor refuses to die.

I can't believe the number of rumors about this rumor.

Paraphrasing something someone else already said..

"Touch-Screen-G5-video-Powerbook coming next tuesday."

Aren't we going into six months working this unfounded rumor?

Whatever, I hope one is coming. I won't buy it. I have a PSP and a couple of great films on UMD. I've never watched them. Never see anyone on a bus watching a movie with their PSP. Never see anyone on a bus watching video on their 5G iPod with Video either. Never see anyone on a plane watching movies on anything but DVD through their laptop.

I firmly believe that the next iteration of iPod should be phone/VoIP, the iPod video functions are everything they need to be right now.

berkleeboy210
Apr 13, 2006, 10:25 PM

Was reading CNet news, and Samsung is holding an Event on May 1st in San Fran to Release the Origami.

I suspect an event on or around this date to compete with that or to steal it's thunder away.

treblah
Apr 13, 2006, 10:44 PM
Was reading CNet news, and Samsung is holding an Event on May 1st in San Fran to Release the Origami.

I suspect an event on or around this date to compete with that or to steal it's thunder away.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you, Samsung has already stolen the thunder with its $1200 MSRP.

Any Apple release coinciding would be much more likely a case of adding insult to injury. :D

AidenShaw
Apr 13, 2006, 11:28 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you, Samsung has already stolen the thunder with its $1200 MSRP.

Any Apple release coinciding would be much more likely a case of adding insult to injury. :D
Similar posts were made when Apple introduced a $400 MP3 player.

sirron
Apr 14, 2006, 01:13 AM
"it is still expected by to be release in time for the 2006 holiday season."

What kind of English is that???

powerbook911
Apr 14, 2006, 01:25 AM
I thought Spring 2006 was way too early for this. Only a few months after a barnd new generation in Fall 2005? I mean they can't create new ones every day, so I think spreading out new releases is a better idea, for the future of the company.

thecheda
Apr 14, 2006, 02:53 AM
need. to. upgrade.

4th gen.

now.

Multimedia
Apr 14, 2006, 03:20 AM
Although delays are never good, I'd rather Apple take their time and perform the necessary QC on such an important product as opposed to rushing it to market. If it ends up being Q4 until we see it, so be it.

Of course, I say this being someone who is not in desparate need of a new iPod and is waiting for this device... ;) :cool:I'm with you ~Shard~. I have the 60GB Video iPod so this news keeps mine current longer. :p And I want to see the 6G Video iPod done right or delayed as long as necessary for it to be done right. :)

mmalet
Apr 14, 2006, 03:34 AM
I know a couple of prior posters have said this, but it's worth reiterating: How can anyone take ThinkSecret seriously? I look at it for a chuckle every now and then, but, cum'on... Who knows if this "real" video iPod (as opposed to the "fake" video iPods everyone's running around watching videos on right now...) is ever coming out. But to start piling rumors on top of rumors is hard to swallow. It's particularly hard to swallow with ThinkSecret's mediocre at best record of guessing releases correctly. The only thing ThinkSecret seems good at doing is going back over their past articles and re-casting them as "really true" through some tortured logical contortions. I agree with the poster who thinks that TS references should be put on p.2...

mi5moav
Apr 14, 2006, 05:42 AM
Well, at least we know the new quicktake HD will be available shortly. To me this thread is so, strange... it's like saying santa or the easter buny will be late this year... in fact it's even worse. It's like saying that Aliens from Mars thought to be appearing for the first time at the End of April may not show until later... though we have no real confirmation, if the are from mars or if they are aliens...I hope this video ipod turns out to be a 15$ gift card to blockbuster

TBR
Apr 14, 2006, 06:15 AM
Never see anyone on a bus watching a movie with their PSP. Never see anyone on a bus watching video on their 5G iPod with Video either. Never see anyone on a plane watching movies on anything but DVD through their laptop.

I doubt I'd watch the video on a new ipod on the bus either, I've tried it with my mobile and I just prefer to listen to podcasts and stare out the window.

BUT...

I would definatly use it when plugged into a tv. Being Uk based and loving TV I'm the downloader of shows that we all miss due to our hectic lives etc (insert your own excuse for bittorrented tv shows here). Usually I transfer the shows around on my 3G iPod and then they are watched on the various computers.
Having a new iPod that plugs into the TV would allow us to watch them, or any content I want to share with friends, on our TV's sat on the sofa comfortably instead of our current uncomfortable set ups.

Well thats how I would use it anyway.

kirk26
Apr 14, 2006, 07:03 AM
still waiting.........:(

hopefully this is just a "rumor".

Yea, this is what this site USED to be: a rumor site. I miss the old MacRumors.

mjstew33
Apr 14, 2006, 07:11 AM
Yea, this is what this site USED to be: a rumor site. I miss the old MacRumors.
And, uhm, what is it now. :confused: :rolleyes:

mrscribble
Apr 14, 2006, 07:16 AM
Apple isn't willing to release a compromise of a product. They always want, and always have achieved perfection. That's why they're such a great company.

Very droll... ;)

Proud Liberal
Apr 14, 2006, 07:17 AM
They always want, and always have achieved perfection. That's why they're such a great company.

Yeah, tell that to all the people who are receiving checks for the 1st/2nd gen battery problems and to all the people who have scratched Nano screens. I'm not saying that Apple isn't a great company - they are. But your blind loyalty in proclaiming that they have always reached perfection is just that - blind loyalty, not to mention ridiculous.

lifeboy001
Apr 14, 2006, 08:16 AM
In NYC, I see multiple people daily watching vPods on the subway, the bus, or the treadmill. My students will watch shows together while waiting for parents to pick them up. While personally I wouldn't be too interested in a vPod, there is surely a market for the vPod and its eventual widescreen alternative.

Also, I love the indignation on MR these days. Are we all so addicted that despite our anger towards many of the rumors, we keep coming back? Maybe it should be called CrackRumors...

I doubt I'd watch the video on a new ipod on the bus either, I've tried it with my mobile and I just prefer to listen to podcasts and stare out the window.

BUT...

I would definatly use it when plugged into a tv. Being Uk based and loving TV I'm the downloader of shows that we all miss due to our hectic lives etc (insert your own excuse for bittorrented tv shows here). Usually I transfer the shows around on my 3G iPod and then they are watched on the various computers.
Having a new iPod that plugs into the TV would allow us to watch them, or any content I want to share with friends, on our TV's sat on the sofa comfortably instead of our current uncomfortable set ups.

Well thats how I would use it anyway.

Caitlyn
Apr 14, 2006, 08:50 AM

Of course, I say this being someone who is not in desparate need of a new iPod and is waiting for this device... ;) :cool:
I agree with you 100%. Rushed products are just crap. They have lots of bugs and it just costs Apple more money to fix them, etc. And turns a lot of people off to future products. And for those who are in need of an iPod now, get a 1GB Nano or something to hold you out.. :)

pkkrusty
Apr 14, 2006, 08:55 AM
Well, don't forget us deaf peeps need bigger screen that support closed caption rather than today's iPod Video. :p

That's terrible! How do you listen to cover bands?!

baddaddy
Apr 14, 2006, 09:24 AM
Think back to the January product release. No one predicted the iMac release. It wasn't until the day before the release that the info was leaked. Everyone (esp. TS) predicted the ibook.

TS isn't the most reliable source for info. They wait until something is released, or imminate. On those rare occasions when they do make a long term prediction, their record is spotty.

Also, what if this is disinformation from Apple. "Darn it guy's we've hit a glitch". Then they release it with their quarterly financial results. What doe's that do for Apple? It catches a leaker, and it surprises the market.

A company doesn't send out notices that a product cycle is ending (iPod G5), without a new product tested and ready. Last minute delay's are more of a M$ thing.

Finally, what if this is so? Well then the iPod AV launches with the new quad power mac and 10.6 and at the same time as Windows Vista. That can't be a bad thing!

This is a Win Win situation.

ccrandall77
Apr 14, 2006, 09:28 AM
Show me a PDA whose screen doesn't get some scratching after limited use even without the stylus (i.e. a Treo). Would you seriously want to watch videos on that? :confused:

I can show you several... my iPaq, 2 Jornadas, 2 Newtons, 2 Zaurii, and a couple of Cassiopieas. I've owned a ton of PDAs and never had issues with scratches on the screen... and I NEVER use screen protectors. My Archos AV-500 has gotten quite a bit of use and still not scratches or blemishes on the screen.

The only device of mine that had an issue was the Treo. I think the film on the Treo is substandard since playing Solitaire on it for a few days left a nice little scuff mark where the deck is from continuously tapping there. And due to where it's positioned on my belt, I put a nick in the screen when I pulled it out and it hit a metal corner on my seatbelt. In that case, it was pure carelessness on my part.

Obviously a touchscreen iPod is going to need to be put in a sleeve or case whenever it's not being directly manipulated. And if they use the new coating that supposedly resists scratching and fingerprints, it should be fine. Perhaps it's not the ideal gadget for taking to the gym or for kids who don't take the best care of their belongings, but that's really what the Shuffle and Nano are made for.

Mtn Tamale
Apr 14, 2006, 10:49 AM
What I think is really going on here is brilliant. Apple really isn't a market pioneer. Their innovation comes from finding markets that others have proven to exist and then creating a much better way to approach it.

The video download market....completely a fantasy. Apple would never just go headfirst with billions of dollars on the line, and Jobs reputation for being right also on the line. They jacked the volume on the drumbeat all spring, making all the potential competition come out of the brush and experiment with consumer demand and distribution networks first. Now Apple can watch and improve on the business plans. I don't think there is any unintentional delay here. Just good business.

bretm
Apr 14, 2006, 12:07 PM
You mean 10.5 I assume. The nano was pretty well kept secret as well.

Think back to the January product release. No one predicted the iMac release. It wasn't until the day before the release that the info was leaked. Everyone (esp. TS) predicted the ibook.

TS isn't the most reliable source for info. They wait until something is released, or imminate. On those rare occasions when they do make a long term prediction, their record is spotty.

Also, what if this is disinformation from Apple. "Darn it guy's we've hit a glitch". Then they release it with their quarterly financial results. What doe's that do for Apple? It catches a leaker, and it surprises the market.

A company doesn't send out notices that a product cycle is ending (iPod G5), without a new product tested and ready. Last minute delay's are more of a M$ thing.

Finally, what if this is so? Well then the iPod AV launches with the new quad power mac and 10.6 and at the same time as Windows Vista. That can't be a bad thing!

This is a Win Win situation.

bretm
Apr 14, 2006, 12:11 PM
What I think is really going on here is brilliant. Apple really isn't a market pioneer. Their innovation comes from finding markets that others have proven to exist and then creating a much better way to approach it.

The video download market....completely a fantasy. Apple would never just go headfirst with billions of dollars on the line, and Jobs reputation for being right also on the line. They jacked the volume on the drumbeat all spring, making all the potential competition come out of the brush and experiment with consumer demand and distribution networks first. Now Apple can watch and improve on the business plans. I don't think there is any unintentional delay here. Just good business.

Have you looked at iTunes recently? You can download entire seasons of TV shows as well as episodes. Disney is going to be testing streaming with commercials. What competition? iTunes is pretty much the only well put together video download service. It's only natural they'll move into movies. And why not? If they can sell a $20 DVD online for $10 or $15, that'd be great.

Chris Bangle
Apr 14, 2006, 12:40 PM
lets hope hope steve sends invites out on tuesday..... A launch on the 25th would be quite cloese to macbook launch..apparently

MrCrowbar
Apr 14, 2006, 01:06 PM
I thought MacBook (former iBook) was rumored for May, isn't it?
Anyway, it makes sense to release the 2 consumer products at the same time.

Multimedia
Apr 14, 2006, 01:40 PM
lets hope hope steve sends invites out on tuesday..... A launch on the 25th would be quite cloese to macbook launch..apparentlyYou're off by two days. The next major announcements will come at the NAB Sunday April 23rd Apple Press Conference. :)

baddaddy
Apr 14, 2006, 02:13 PM
You mean 10.5 I assume. The nano was pretty well kept secret as well.

Yes I meant 10.5, damned typos!

hmmmm that's right, the nano was kept under wraps well. Good catch!

(Yes I know that there isn't anything of substance in this post, I needed one more to make it out of Newbieland! :p )

Chris Bangle
Apr 15, 2006, 07:04 AM
You're off by two days. The next major announcements will come at the NAB Sunday April 23rd Apple Press Conference. :)

Have they got a press confernece then..... Will they mention it on the webcast

Chris Bangle
Apr 15, 2006, 03:42 PM
John Lewis
Just been to John Lewis in Bluewater and a few things to note. From what I saw, the only 60gb on's sale were customer returns... Not a single new one. I decided to ask one of the guys there why and he explained that they cant get hold of any of these 60gb's and they are waiting for the new ones to come(I interpreted it as new model but there is a possibilty he meant new batch.). I headed over to the mac display and noted that they had no brand new powermacs for sale and they were either customer returns or ex-demos. Then I went to the laptops and saw Macbook pros and Powerbooks but the ibooks had reductions, even though they wernt ex-demos or returns. I didnt want to ask anymore questions so i headed to the apple store.
Apple Store
The thing is I cant remeber seeing any ibooks. I saw a few powerbooks and alot of macbooks but i didnt see and ibooks on display. I saw the 1-2 powermacs they have and the rest were imacs and mini's and mbp's. Can someone confirm this or was i imaginning things........ LACK OF POWERMACS AND IBOOKS AND 60GB's...... Whass goin on.

bense27
Apr 15, 2006, 09:02 PM
I doubt I would buy this. I have an iPod video now but never watch videos.

Chris Bangle
Apr 17, 2006, 05:36 AM
John Lewis
Just been to John Lewis in Bluewater and a few things to note. From what I saw, the only 60gb on's sale were customer returns... Not a single new one. I decided to ask one of the guys there why and he explained that they cant get hold of any of these 60gb's and they are waiting for the new ones to come(I interpreted it as new model but there is a possibilty he meant new batch.). I headed over to the mac display and noted that they had no brand new powermacs for sale and they were either customer returns or ex-demos. Then I went to the laptops and saw Macbook pros and Powerbooks but the ibooks had reductions, even though they wernt ex-demos or returns. I didnt want to ask anymore questions so i headed to the apple store.
Apple Store
The thing is I cant remeber seeing any ibooks. I saw a few powerbooks and alot of macbooks but i didnt see and ibooks on display. I saw the 1-2 powermacs they have and the rest were imacs and mini's and mbp's. Can someone confirm this or was i imaginning things........ LACK OF POWERMACS AND IBOOKS AND 60GB's...... Whass goin on.

AidenShaw
Apr 17, 2006, 09:10 AM
... Whass goin on.
Funny, that post looks familiar - I think I remember seeing a similar one a couple of days ago.

Maybe it's just a bit of déjà vu...

Chris Bangle
Apr 17, 2006, 09:14 AM
I didnt mean to repost it..... The previous post wouldnt apear on my firefox..... Ive fixed the problem.....
Sorry

bense27
Apr 17, 2006, 10:16 AM
It would be impossible to make a case for this thing. It would have to be all clear plastic covering the screen but somehow make it thin enough so you can still use the click-wheel. And if it's too thin, it won't protect at all

seelab
Apr 25, 2006, 01:25 AM
Have you looked at iTunes recently? You can download entire seasons of TV shows as well as episodes.

...but only in US. I want TV shows!!!

Willis
Apr 30, 2006, 03:01 PM
John Lewis
Apple Store

OO sounds interesting. What day was this? My nearest Apple Store is in Sheffield about an hours drive and as I have no actual reason to go there, no point! But i know when i last went there, around Feb/March, there were only 3-4 iBooks yet there was quite a few MBP. I would of though Apple would throw deals on the iBooks to get them shifted, but i recently got an email with a coupon discount when I spend over £235 yet under the student part it says:

"Whether you are a student or a teacher, you can use your education discount and make big savings on Apple products such as MacBook Pro, iMac, iPod, iPod Hi-Fi and selected accessories"

Note the absence of the iBook *taps nose*

regre7
Apr 30, 2006, 05:14 PM
This is encouraging! The last time I went to an Apple Store was back in September in Atlanta. At the time I didn't know what a PowerBook was and I can trace my switching to Mac entirely back to visiting that store. I was amazed because I saw a nano in real life and went home, saved up, and bought one. Now I'm saving again, and here I am.

Please! I want a time machine so I can travel past WWDC!

k993802
May 2, 2006, 07:26 AM
Leading on from *** comments, I have just got off the phone to Jonh Lewis Kingston-Upon-Thames, Surrey (V. Large JL Store) and they 'might' have 2 60GB ipods in stock (they are checking). Also, they are selling them for £279 rather than the £299 advertised on their website.

John Lewis is a large company and I would not think they would have allowed their stocks to run down so low by accident.

Could this be an indication of anticipated lower wholesale prices? (this could tie in with the 60day at risk article: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060317172519.shtml)

or

it could well be a 'replacement model' ?

...wouldn't life be wonderful if all of our questions could be answered without having to wait!!! lol!

Personnally, i'm just a tight fisted git who wants value over and above what is currently out there: Either a cheaper 60GB vid iPod or a cool new iPod full screen Video... but wheeeeeeeeeeeenn?:p

k993802
May 2, 2006, 07:28 AM
Apologies, read '***' as 'Willis' ...

April Dancer
May 2, 2006, 08:34 AM
Leading on from *** comments, I have just got off the phone to Jonh Lewis Kingston-Upon-Thames, Surrey (V. Large JL Store) and they 'might' have 2 60GB ipods in stock (they are checking).

Thanks, that's saved me a phone call :) That's my local JL.

I just wish they'd announce the blummin thing, whatever it is! I'm off on my travels the end of this month and whatever they do with the screen, I need more storage. 60GB just doesn't do it when you're talking music and video. Tsk! ;)

Cobrien
May 4, 2006, 06:23 AM
Does anyone else think that TS wrote a rumour that wasn't true, all of you jumped on the bandwagon, believed the mockups and now TS is having to create a new rumour to explain why it's old rumour wasnt true.

Apparently according to PortalPlayer the chip for the new iPod is still up for grabs, how could there be technical difficulties in making it if they don't even have the chip for it.

student_trap
May 4, 2006, 08:48 AM
what if a full screen ipod is a way off, what im hankering for is a 40gig ipod thats the size of the current 30gig model...is this possible?

I personally would prefer that ipod to the supposed ipod AV, although i would probably buy the touch screen model anyway!:p