PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about selling Powerbook

chantman
Apr 13, 2006, 09:42 PM
Hi All,

Disclaimer: The auction is ended, I'm not soliciting bids!

Could you please take a look at this auction and see if I'm going the right direction on trying to sell my powerbook??? I set the reserve to $1850

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9708859251&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&rd=1

What did I do wrong?

-Chantman

ericssonboi
Apr 13, 2006, 09:51 PM
Hi All,

Disclaimer: The auction is ended, I'm not soliciting bids!

Could you please take a look at this auction and see if I'm going the right direction on trying to sell my powerbook??? I set the reserve to $1850

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9708859251&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&rd=1

What did I do wrong?

-Chantman

I think your price is a bit too high. Even though you have Applecare... the market of Powerbooks has dropped with the release of the MBPs

StealthRider
Apr 13, 2006, 09:52 PM
- Refurbished 1.67GHz G4, high-resolution PowerBook. 512 MB DDR2, 80GB HDD, etc. (pretty much stock) : $1599, free shipping.

-1GB DDR2 (PC2-4200) RAM stick from NewEgg : about $75.00.

Total: Less than $1700 for a brand-new PowerBook with just as much memory. 20 more GB of hard disk space is not worth $175 on a new machine, let alone a used one. Applecare doesn't jump the value all that much...and the MacBook Pro is out.

I would say that your PowerBook is worth about $1600.

w8ing4intelmacs
Apr 13, 2006, 10:48 PM
Buy the "Featured Listing" package for $30. You'll get as much as 3 times as many views (more exposure means far greater chance of getting a rich buyer interested in your item). However, I think you need at least 10 feedback to get that option. So buy 4 or 5 cheap items to get to that amount of feedback.

Put in your description the original retail price of everything and add it up (something like, "This whole package originally retailed for $2500 (or whatever number it is)". Definitely highlight AppleCare. It'll increase perceived value. Plus people will feel more secure knowing that it is warrantied for almost 3 years.

Personally, I would put no reserve, because I think it will eventually sell for around $1800 or more. The only reason it wouldn't is because the item was under the radar (i.e., didn't have enough exposure). I've sold over 20 macs on eBay. My PB G4 1.67 15" (the model before yours) went for over $1900 back in January (w/ AppleCare, but less memory and none of the extras that you included). More people will end up bidding on your item.

If you insist on a reserve price because you're insecure (which you shouldn't be, because Macs are great machines), you should reduce your starting price and your reserve price. Your beginning price will scare people to not even bid until close to the ending date/time, by which time, they've already found another item to bid on. Your reserve price is right around what I'd expect your item to sell at, so you might miss a seller. Maybe $1750?

End the item on a weekend (again, more exposure. people generally buy more stuff on eBay over the weekend).

Good luck!