PDA

View Full Version : Rumoured Video iPod why touchscreen when ...

CHAOS STEP
Apr 14, 2006, 01:13 PM

Surely you can simply mount the clickwheel on the back of the ipod.

The click wheel is a great interface and you do not need to have sight of it to know when you are pressing play stop etc.

It may require a reworking of the aesthetics - but I'm sure they could make it look beautiful.

Any thoughts?

edit : oops possibly wrong part of the forum ?

BlizzardBomb
Apr 14, 2006, 02:25 PM
If the clickwheel is on the back I'm guessing you're using your finger which can't move up and down very well. Can't see this working.

luckylisp
Apr 14, 2006, 03:00 PM
Isn't anyone concerned about the screen itself considering how fragile they are? They would have to come up with some kind of superior coating because you couldnt put a hard case on it considering you would need to use the screen to control it.

and even if they did come up with a superior scratch free coating what kind of case could you get to protect it from drops and still have it be useable?

Alone2Gether
Apr 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
that would be very unnatural. tried to imagine on a 5G and just didn't feel right.

CHAOS STEP
Apr 14, 2006, 03:27 PM
If the clickwheel is on the back I'm guessing you're using your finger which can't move up and down very well. Can't see this working.

I just tried holding my 5g on it's side and gripping it with one hand, with my thumb at the top and using my fourth and little finger at the bottom to cradle it as such. My index finger, could then easily do a circular motion.

Even if you hold it with your thumb at the bottom, my second finger could still circulate.

It would be more stable if you support it with your other hand as well, if you had butterfingers.

Bearing in mind that if you are using the video ipod, then you will be most likely using it fairly in-actively therefore the added dexterity required would not inhibit it's usefullness.

crdean1
Apr 14, 2006, 04:17 PM
You don't see cell phone companies put the numbers on the back of the phone to make the screen bigger.

psycho bob
Apr 14, 2006, 09:30 PM
You don't see cell phone companies put the numbers on the back of the phone to make the screen bigger.

Although Nokia do their best :p

iMeowbot
Apr 14, 2006, 09:41 PM
I think that for the next iPod, Apple should license Bop-It interface technology from Hasbro.

2nyRiggz
Apr 14, 2006, 09:45 PM
the next ipod will have voice rec....imagine turning the volume up/changing songs in public...."play dora the explorer theme music" ..."Play"Turn the damn volume up now!!"

Bless

treblah
Apr 14, 2006, 10:46 PM
1. Go to your local BestBuy and play with a Nintendo DS, Windows Tablet Notebook and a Treo.

2. Stop thinking Apple can't do the same.

Xander562
Apr 14, 2006, 10:54 PM
You know how most people are complaining about the smudges on the touchscreen? well who's to say they wont just use an opaque screen like that of a flatscreen monitor or a laptop(or most laptops at least) those dont smudge very easy.