Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Ok, since I already bought the thing it might be a bit late...
Anyhow, are there anyone here that has any experience how well Leica D-Lux 2 (or Panasonic DMC-LX1 for that matter) works with OSX? I can't find any explicit information about compability on Leicas own site , so thought I should ask you guys.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Do you have one? You could upload a RAW file and see. I assume you're talking about RAW compatibility because if you're just talking about JPEG then it is obviously compatible.

EDIT: Why do you want this camera? Just so you can say you have a Leica? Because this camera is expensive and not good for the price.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
jared_kipe said:
Do you have one? You could upload a RAW file and see. I assume you're talking about RAW compatibility because if you're just talking about JPEG then it is obviously compatible.

EDIT: Why do you want this camera? Just so you can say you have a Leica? Because this camera is expensive and not good for the price.
I have ordered one from Germany (I live in Sweden) and it should arrive this monday/tuesday after the holidays.
and yes I do talk about RAW compability. That is one of the reasons I bought the camera. That and the fact that the R9 is 5 times more money ;) .

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
jared_kipe said:
Why do you want this camera? Just so you can say you have a Leica? Because this camera is expensive and not good for the price.
To say I have a Leica???... I would like to think I am passed that stage in my life. I am an old school photografer so I did some research on photo.net before I went for this camera. I find the whining about noise in high ISO strange. Noise is expected in higher ISO, it is basic physics. Besides the noise is manageble if you shoot RAW.
The main reason i bought the camera was the optics. I could have saved some money if I instead would have chosen Panasonic DMC-LX1. But honestly, I didn't like the look of the camera. Since I didn't mind paying the extra premium getting a more appealing casing...
Moreover, since I live in Sweden I guess we get better deals on both Leica and Hasselblad than you do in US. Nikons and Canons are not cheap over here.
Besides, if I wanted to flash, don't you think a Hasselblad 503 CWD or a Leica R9 with a digital back would do that better than a simple point and shoot Leica?;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I think the leica is supported

Dr.Gargoyle said:
Anyhow, are there anyone here that has any experience how well Leica D-Lux 2 (or Panasonic DMC-LX1 for that matter) works with OSX? I can't find any explicit information about compability on Leicas own site , so thought I should ask you guys.

The delux 2 is listed on the Aperture web site. The raw conversion is actually done my Mac OS X.

Wost case is that you do raw conversion outside of iPhoto and then import the JPG files. TYhis may be best in any case as iPhoto raw conversion is rather basic

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
ChrisA said:
The delux 2 is listed on the Aperture web site. The raw conversion is actually done my Mac OS X.

Wost case is that you do raw conversion outside of iPhoto and then import the JPG files. TYhis may be best in any case as iPhoto raw conversion is rather basic
Thats weird on OSX's list of supported cameras there isn't even a section for Panasonic.

Dr.Gargoyle said:
To say I have a Leica???... I would like to think I am passed that stage in my life. I am an old school photografer so I did some research on photo.net before I went for this camera. I find the whining about noise in high ISO strange. Noise is expected in higher ISO, it is basic physics. Besides the noise is manageble if you shoot RAW.
The main reason i bought the camera was the optics. I could have saved some money if I instead would have chosen Panasonic DMC-LX1. But honestly, I didn't like the look of the camera. Since I didn't mind paying the extra premium getting a more appealing casing...
Moreover, since I live in Sweden I guess we get better deals on both Leica and Hasselblad than you do in US. Nikons and Canons are not cheap over here.
Besides, if I wanted to flash, don't you think a Hasselblad 503 CWD or a Leica R9 with a digital back would do that better than a simple point and shoot Leica?;)

While the price difference may be true, I doubt that the Leica D-Lux 2 over there is as cheap as say the Canon 300D or 10D something like that, which is a much better camera you would be saving so much money you could invest in even better optics than the Leica camera. I went looking at the dpreview review of it, just not impressed.

For my $1500 (froogle.com) I'd take a 20D or D50 or something with a nice lens AND save some money. But maybe the pricing differences are all backwards over there.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
jared_kipe said:
While the price difference may be true, I doubt that the Leica D-Lux 2 over there is as cheap as say the Canon 300D or 10D something like that, which is a much better camera you would be saving so much money you could invest in even better optics than the Leica camera. I went looking at the dpreview review of it, just not impressed.

For my $1500 (froogle.com) I'd take a 20D or D50 or something with a nice lens AND save some money. But maybe the pricing differences are all backwards over there.
First of all, I wanted a small point and shot camera that I could carry with me all the time. As I said before, I used to do a lot of photographing before digital cameras. I normally used three Nikon houses/motors with Tri-X/Plus-X/Kodachrome 64/25. The standard optics where 28mm/50mm/105mm (never zoom since I believed it compromized the photo quality)... Long story short: you have no idea how many great pics I missed just because had all that fancy gear. I just got lazy and didnt bother to bring the stuff with me... A bit more than a year ago I "reinvented" photography again when I bought a small simple Nikon coolpix 5200. I haven't taken so many pics in years as I did last year. The main reason for that was the size of the camera. It is small and I carry it with me ALL the time.
I doubt I ever will buy a new Nikon/Canon/Leica SLR again. Still, I might go down that road again if the new digital M7 is as good as people think it is.
The bottomline is: small is better, because you DO have the camera with you. You wont be able to take that amazing once-in-a-lifetime shot if you dont have your gear with you. Ok, it might not be as good as it could have been if you had that Hasselblad 503 with you... and some studio lamps... and some slave flashes....and
But hey... you got the pic. Isn't that what it is all about?

Next:
I think the prices differs a lot. I would NEVER pay $1.500 for the D-Lux 2, I think I paid around $800. When I fly over to US I have found that both Nikons and Canons seem to be better deals over in US. Could be that EU has some extra taxes on Japanese cameras...who knows.
I dont think Leicas and Hasselblads are as exclusive over here as they might be in the US. It is very easy to find a second hand system and since all the optics/housing are cross compatible back to the mid 50-ties it doesnt have to get that expensive.
Finally, how much do you think you will get for a used Canon 300D in a couple of years? Now compare that with second hand prices of a Leica or a Hasselblad.
The difference wont be that much and you get to have a nice camera in the mean time.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Dr.Gargoyle said:

Well right now it is not supported by OSX, however Photoshop CS2 opens the RAW files just fine, as does PS Elements that comes with it.

I am extremely happy with the camera and have not found any noise problems, as anyone who actually owns one will tell you.

I own a 20D and a 5D Canon which I love but wanted a smaller camera to take around all the time. I got it for the optics as well as the native 16:9 format which I love. The 30 fps wide movie mode is outstanding. Yes you could save $200 bucks with the Panasonic but the aluminum housing and better software (PS Elements) included.

Enjoy

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
snap58 said:
I am extremely happy with the camera and have not found any noise problems, as anyone who actually owns one will tell you.
I have noticed that most of the complaints seem to stem from people that doesn't own the camera. I had no idea the red label stirred up that much emotions in US...strange
It is just a camera

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Dr.Gargoyle said:
I have noticed that most of the complaints seem to stem from people that doesn't own the camera. I had no idea the red label stirred up that much emotions in US...strange
It is just a camera

Not all of us, and it's probably more of an "age" thing than anything else. Let us know how it goes, I think you will be very happy with it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Dr.Gargoyle said:

Sad to see one have to defend ones self like you did. The current $255 price difference between the Panasonic LX-1 and the D-Lux 2 provides two distinct advantages for most customers. The first is a two year warranty that is goes beyond most others basic warranty. The other is that Adobe Elements 3.0 is is included, over the dismal Panasonic RAW software.

I bought the LX-1, though my shop sells the D-Lux 2, because I did not need the software that Leica offered; and the extra warranty was not a concern for me. For myself, I preferred the look of the black LX-1 over the D-Lux 2. Glad that you and I had choices. :) Hate to say it, but looks do drive the buying choice for many of my customers.

I based my purchase on the DPR review. I printed out a high ISO image to 13x19, and saw that it beat my experiences in ISO400+ film. And using something like Noise Ninja improved the results modestly.

To be honest I own more gear than anyone person should own. :eek: And my favorite 35mm film gear is my Leica M6's. Leica does know how to do optics. And they do appear to actually design the lenses used by Panasonic, as opposed to SOME other premium names that appear on some cameras (just look at the Schneider lenses offered on some of the new Samsung DSLR's; they have the same exact look as their Pentax cousins. And if you look closely enough, they are cousins to the Tamron lenses.

Pricing differences do play a part. In the end you and I made a great choice. I took my LX-1 and a D50 with a 18-200VR on my first European vacation in late February. Guess what? I was happiest in carrying around the LX-1!

It is causing me to look at my demands for the "best" capabilities vs. being free from a camera bag.

Here are a few of the favorites from my first European trip.

Attachments

• P1000162.jpg
    P1000162.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 90
  • P1000174.jpg
    P1000174.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 165
  • P1000177.jpg
    P1000177.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 108
  • P1000225.jpg
    P1000225.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 108
  • P1000270.jpg
    P1000270.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 148

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Dr.Gargoyle said:
It is just a camera

I know what you mean. Many here in the US will mortgage their children's college fund to buy a Hummer or Expedition SUV, yet they will chastise those of us that want to have sharp pictures that mean some to us.

They don't realize that the LX-1 and the D-Lux 2 offer three different formats also. The 16:9 (wide screen, which I love), the 35mm standard of 3:2, and the more common 4:3.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
Here are a few of the favorites from my first European trip.
Nice pics...:) Thanks for sharing. I hope you find your way over here again soon. There are a lot of interesting aspects of europe a bit off the beaten track.

Chip NoVaMac said:
I know what you mean. Many here in the US will mortgage their children's college fund to buy a Hummer or Expedition SUV, yet they will chastise those of us that want to have sharp pictures that mean some to us.
I find it particulary odd to encounter lack of understanding against people who "think differently" in a mac community. A true paradox indeed...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Dr.Gargoyle said:
Nice pics...:) Thanks for sharing. I hope you find your way over here again soon. There are a lot of interesting aspects of europe a bit off the beaten track.

I so want to do Europe again! Or should I say more of Europe? My Reykjavik and London trip was the first out of the US since my parents brought me back from Germany at the age of 2 1/2.

The problem is that the US$ is so in the tank, it is hard for those that are being passed by the "great economic boom" that many talk of here in the US. In other threads I have joked about anything in Iceland costing a minimum of 200kr (about $3US), and in London the minimum being 1BP (about $1.75US).

I so enjoyed my trip that I am looking at cutting back on some of my US travel, in order to return to some part of Europe. "Self-catering" was my friend in my recent travels. Rolls, yogurt, and fruits were my friends - in order for me to enjoy some more pricier meals in the evening.

My stay in Iceland has given me a greater desire to spend sometime in the Nordic regions of Europe. The loving and welcoming nature of the people I met in Reykjavik, showed me much about myself.

More than once I was confused as not being "American" by the Icelanders I met. I did ask one fellow why he asked, since my accent should have been a dead give away. He said that he thought I was an ex-pat that was on holiday from the UK. I asked why he felt that way. He said it was that it was that I was understanding of the current events of the EU; and that I never made it seem that the world revolved around the US alone.

In many ways that hurt. As anyone, I am proud to be a citizen of my country. And as much as I like in knowing about the world around me, I don't think of myself as being "well read". I like to think that I can hold my own on most topics being discussed. It made me think of how my country, and its people, are truly looked upon.

Given the reverence that Icelanders place on "The Settlement" back around 1000AD; it gave me pause that we in the US (at least with my "formal" education in US history that ended in the 80's) look to the settlement of Plymouth, MA or Jamestown, VA as points of reference. Only passing reference was made to Lief Ericson. And only now are we looking at those that inhabited the US in our early history.

There was an editorial cartoon in the Washington Post today (wish I could find an image to post) that took many of the current comments about immigrants being voiced today, and turning it back to the time when European settlers came these shores.

Sorry for the rant and ramble. Your post just struck a nerve that my recent travels has caused me to question on how we should look at things here in the US.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Waaay off topic...

Chip NoVaMac said:
snip. He said it was that it was that I was understanding of the current events of the EU; and that I never made it seem that the world revolved around the US alone.

In many ways that hurt. As anyone, I am proud to be a citizen of my country. And as much as I like in knowing about the world around me, I don't think of myself as being "well read". I like to think that I can hold my own on most topics being discussed. It made me think of how my country, and its people, are truly looked upon.
First of all, Europeans are generally just as ignorant about Americans, as Americans are about Europeans. I fly over to US about 4-5 times per year and I have many American friends, so I guess I have had the opportunity to get to know US and the Americans a bit better than most Europeans.
I am embarrased to say that the common opinion about the average Joe is just as screwed up as some of the commments I have heard about Europeans. One thing is certain though; there are no consensus about Americans here in Europe. Moreover, I think you have a better reputation than you might think. Most people over here might not approve of all your politics, but don't interpret that as people have a grudge against Americans in general. If I, incorrectly, were to generalize the Europeans view of Americans, I would call it a love/hate relationship with an emphasis on love. Still, people should travel more and experience for themselves instead of listening to spinn doctors with hidden agendas. We are all simple people with many shortcomings but with many redeeming qualities too.

Chip NoVaMac said:
Given the reverence that Icelanders place on "The Settlement" back around 1000AD; it gave me pause that we in the US (at least with my "formal" education in US history that ended in the 80's) look to the settlement of Plymouth, MA or Jamestown, VA as points of reference. Only passing reference was made to Lief Ericson. And only now are we looking at those that inhabited the US in our early history.
I agree that American history is somewhat biased. Somehow you seem to disguardmost things before 1776. Just as an example: 1000AD... that would be around the same period as the Cathedral in my hometown was errected.
Still, US isn't the only country with a somewhat strange perception of history. The part of Sweden where i live belonged to Denmark before 1658. Regradess of that, I have been fed with Swedens history pre-1658, which had made me quite ignorant about my own history. (My family lived during the time this was Denmark)
Bottomline:
I wouldn't worry too much about how Americans are percieved, nor would I give too much thought about the shortcomings of American history.
It is pretty much just as bad, if not worse, everywhere else on this planet.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Dr.Gargoyle said:
I find it particulary odd to encounter lack of understanding against people who "think differently" in a mac community. A true paradox indeed...
Oh quit people, did you even read my posts? I thought you were getting a different camera than you are.

I stand by my statement that anyone willing to pay for this camera http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Leica/leica_digilux2.asp is only doing so for name and looks.

The camera he is getting is so ridiculously close in name that some marketing department needs to be shot. They should have named it the Digilux 35 or something.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
jared_kipe said:
The camera he is getting is so ridiculously close in name that some marketing department needs to be shot. They should have named it the Digilux 35 or something.
On that I have to agree. However, after the introduction of the C-Lux camera, it looks like the digital cameras from Leica are going to be named [letter]-lux. That might indicate that the rumored digital M7 could be named M-Lux. But then again, who knows...

D LUX 2

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2006
I use Adobe Lightroom, still in beta..for Raw Conversion on my MAC.

Its free, it runs on OSX, and its exceptionally "intuitive"

frozendynamicx8qm.jpg

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
D LUX 2 said:
I use Adobe Lightroom, still in beta..for Raw Conversion on my MAC.

Its free, it runs on OSX, and its exceptionally "intuitive"

I use it for my LX-1 RAWs, and like the interface too.

It is a free beta test program for now. Towards the end of the year we will have to pay to continue using it. Read deep in the Lightroom announcement page, that it could be as high as $499, lets hope that it comes well under $300. :)

BTW, a great shot.

D LUX 2

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2006
Chip NoVaMac said:
I use it for my LX-1 RAWs, and like the interface too.

It is a free beta test program for now. Towards the end of the year we will have to pay to continue using it. Read deep in the Lightroom announcement page, that it could be as high as $499, lets hope that it comes well under $300. :)

BTW, a great shot.

Thanks

i'm looking forward to the rest of the features.

the only drawback ive found is a rather arcane one in that if you instruct it to "turn the lights out" and switch to photoshp real rapidly it can take a few minutes get reagin control of your computer for some as yet undetermined reason

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
D LUX 2 said:
Thanks

i'm looking forward to the rest of the features.

the only drawback ive found is a rather arcane one in that if you instruct it to "turn the lights out" and switch to photoshp real rapidly it can take a few minutes get reagin control of your computer for some as yet undetermined reason

Can you explain this further? Not sure what you mean about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.