PDA

View Full Version : iPod not recognized by PC

dotdotdot
Apr 14, 2006, 05:42 PM
Lately, my 3G 20 GB iPod isn't recognized by my Windows PC. I use the old USB+FireWire cable, (so it charges by FireWire and uses USB to sync - 3G iPods only charge by FireWire, something which I didn't have). I brought it in to the Apple Store, and the Apple Genius said it's a faulty cable.

Because they don't sell the cable anymore (and, it was $25), I decided to just buy a FireWire card for my computer (For $25). And, it was a successful installation. I hooked my iPod up, and it immediatly charged off of the single FireWire wire that came with the iPod (not the faulty USB+FireWire cable).

However, the iPod is still not detected by Windows - although it knows it is hooked up this time (via Device Manager). iTunes and iPod updater don't know an iPod is connected.

How would I be able to have Windows recognize the iPod? The cable works, and it is currently charging via the computer's power... but it's not recognized! Please help!

Thanks
-dotdotdot

2nyRiggz
Apr 14, 2006, 07:41 PM
I didn't know u can use firewire and ipod on windows together. i need to check up that and get back to you....well u did say it is being seen in DM.

Bless

dotdotdot
Apr 14, 2006, 07:50 PM
I fixed it - it just turned out to be that the FireWire PCI card was a little loose (odd, since it was screwed in, but whatever).

I didn't know u can use firewire and ipod on windows together. i need to check up that and get back to you....well u did say it is being seen in DM.

The third generation iPod came with a case, dock, remote, and a FireWire cable. Apple offered a USB+FireWire cable (it can't charge via USB, and at the time they only made FireWire wall chargers, so the FireWire part plugged into the wall charger, and the USB into the computer). New iPods charge AND sync via USB, and FireWire is not compatible.

2nyRiggz
Apr 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
I meant i didn't know firewire would work on ipods in Windows...glad to hear u got it working.

Bless