Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Just like the title says, I'm having a problem with the SMS in my PB. It used to work fine for things such as the AMSVisualizer and such (aside from its original intended purpose). Now the visualizer just responds to my mouse as described on this page under the heading "Faking the AMS".

In Terminal, the pmset -g command shows that "sms" is activated (or enabled or whatever the "1" indicates:

Mac:~ Gary$ pmset -g
Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1*
AC Power -1
Currently in use:
sms 1
acwake 0
sleep 90
autorestart 0
ring 0
halfdim 1
reduce 0
disksleep 10
displaysleep 90
lidwake 1
lessbright 1
dps 1

Like I said before, it used to work just fine and I've never dropped my 'book or anything of that sort (even if I had, I would imagine that the sensor was designed to withstand an impact...).

Any thoughts? It really bothers me knowing that this isn't working properly, and as I tend to travel often with my machine, it makes me quite nervous (moreso than usual..) carrying it around in a case over my shoulder.

mahsa

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2006
i was having the same problem. two days ago i opened system profiler to see if i had sms so that i could install multialarm, since it was listed i went ahead and downloaded the program and it worked. yesterday i enabled the multialarm and it wouldn't work, so i went to system profiler and sms wasn't listed. i installed the level widget and it wouldn't work either. i then tried pmset -g in the terminal and it said 'sms 1' -- yet none of the programs that use it would work. i did some searching on the web and i found this discussion:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=228309&tstart=0
i followed matthias's suggestions and did a warm reboot and now my sms is showing up in the system profiler and both the level widget and multialarm are working.

i'm not sure what caused it to disappear from the system profiler and it's concerning that it could stop working especially since i'm currently traveling and moving my powerbook around a lot.

hope that helps.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I travel with mine very frequently so I understand the concern. Thanks for the reply! Nice to know I'm not the only one. I'll let you know if the information in that link works... just as soon as the link itself.. works.. ;)

EDIT: Nevermind, link works now. Thanks!

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Also, I don't think my SMS is showing up in System Profiler either. I don't see it anyways, where should it be at?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
What's the difference between a warm and cold reboot? I want to try a warm reboot and see if the functionality comes back.

mahsa

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2006
the sms will show up in the system profile under the hardware overview section. mine is showing up underneath the serial number.

a warm start (which i mistakenly typped as a warm reboot) is just restarting the machine, as opposed to a cold start which is completely shutting it down and then turning it back on. in the discussion quite a few people are having the same exact problem and only a warm start will fix it. they're sugesting people call applecare and notify them of the problem.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
mahsa said:
the sms will show up in the system profile under the hardware overview section. mine is showing up underneath the serial number.

a warm start (which i mistakenly typped as a warm reboot) is just restarting the machine, as opposed to a cold start which is completely shutting it down and then turning it back on. in the discussion quite a few people are having the same exact problem and only a warm start will fix it. they're sugesting people call applecare and notify them of the problem.
A warm start fixes my problem too. Hm. I think it's just a software issue - perhaps the next update will correct this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.