Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Okay, I have outgrown my 10GB windows partition (all games! its like going from the corner castle video to netflix. I've gone crazy on games! arrgh!)

I just need 5 more GB (Half Life 2) and I will be satisfied. Unfortunatly, I will have to repartition. Can I just drag the contents of Windows HD to a folder on Mac HD, repartition, and drag it back:) ? Or do I have to actually reinstall everything:( ?

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
As I understand it you'll have to remove the partition with Boot Camp, create a new partition (if it will let you, otherwise its probably a reinstall of OS X too), then reinstall Windows. So yes, you'll have to reinstall all your games. :( ;)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You are going to need more that 5gb. Remember ALL operating systems require a decent ammount of hard drive space for virtual memory and keeping things flowing. Allocate more than you need, rather than the bare minimum.

Your gonna have to reinstall or add an external HD to the equation and install programmes on the external HD in future....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How much memory in your computer do you have. I have 2gb and windows uses 3 - 4gb of hd space for virtual memory.

You could try and copy your contents into a new partition but I dont think it will work.

Copy your existing files onto an ipod or somthing using clonehd or similar. Just copy and pasting wont work i'm afraid. When you delete the existing partition in bootcamp, it also deletes a smaller boot efi partiton too.

This is created by bootcamp when you create a new partition.
Once you've repaired you macintosh GD and deleted windows, you must go back into bootcamp and create a larger partition.

Follow instructions till it boot into windows start up, choose partition and format as Fat32 with XP. Before install continues, hard reset the computer and boot into OS X.

You need to do it this way to get bootcamp to create the startup/boot efi partition...

You can now put your previously cloned hd back onto your new Fat32 partition. Reboot and hold alt and pray that windows now appears in the drive select.......

It might just be quicker at the end of the day to reinstall from scratch...

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Kingsly said:
so there is no way to just grab my windows drive and copy it into a new partition?
Why, exactly, do I need to do a complete reinstall? Also, that 5GB was factoring 600MB for VM.

I don't know how BootCamp works, but if you can mount the Windows partition in Mac OS X, then you can make an image of it with Disk Utility. Repartition and then reload the image and you should be set.

If you can't image the drive, though, then you're stuck. If you just copy a bunch of files over I suspect that something would go wrong. You'd miss an invisible file or permissions would get corrupted going back and forth between two file systems, etc.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
savar said:
I don't know how BootCamp works, but if you can mount the Windows partition in Mac OS X, then you can make an image of it with Disk Utility. Repartition and then reload the image and you should be set.

If you can't image the drive, though, then you're stuck. If you just copy a bunch of files over I suspect that something would go wrong. You'd miss an invisible file or permissions would get corrupted going back and forth between two file systems, etc.

Depends if you've formated as NTFS which XP prefers by the way, then your screwed in OSX. You may be able to make an image using disk utility if its FAT32, give it a try.

Yep copying doesnt work as hidden files and protected files dont copy and your screwed too.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Yes, I partitioned as Fat32
So: image the HDD, bootcamp a new partition, begin the install, format drive c:, cancel the installation and unpack the XP image into the partition.
Right?
By the way, I have the stock 512 and windows runs fine (if not great) on 600MB of VM.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just do it. What have you got to lose, only a bit of time to re-install if it doesnt work. Time that your already wasting worrying about doing it :)

I know its a pain to have to re-install but it's not the end of the world and your not doing anything to damage your mac installation so what the heck :)

1 question I have though. When I used bootcamp, created my partition and started up windows. It wouldnt let me format the drive in anything other than NTFS. I wonder why that was? :confused: :rolleyes:

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
MacRumorUser said:
1 question I have though. When I used bootcamp, created my partition and started up windows. It wouldnt let me format the drive in anything other than NTFS. I wonder why that was? :confused: :rolleyes:
In the Windows installer? It could be because your partition was too large; FAT32 has a 32GB limit in XP.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
32gb! Yeah that's stupid. Though I've used PC's with XP with larger disk sizes than 32gb and they were formated with Fat32. The one in the office is 80gb HD and that's Fat32? Is it just a bootcamp limitation I wonder?

Doesn't matter really, all I want XP for is Black & White 2, The Movies & Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 :D :D :D :D :D

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
MacRumorUser said:
32gb! Yeah that's stupid. Though I've used PC's with XP with larger disk sizes than 32gb and they were formated with Fat32. The one in the office is 80gb HD and that's Fat32? Is it just a bootcamp limitation I wonder?

Doesn't matter really, all I want XP for is Black & White 2, The Movies & Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 :D :D :D :D :D

2000/XP won't allow you to make a FAT32 partition larger than 32 gig, it's Microsoft's way of forcing users on to using NTFS. Now before anyone gets all cranky and pissy at Microsoft, remember that Apple is also guilty of setting artificial limitations to force users into certain avenues.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Kingsly said:
Okay, I have outgrown my 10GB windows partition (all games! its like going from the corner castle video to netflix. I've gone crazy on games! arrgh!)

I just need 5 more GB (Half Life 2) and I will be satisfied. Unfortunatly, I will have to repartition. Can I just drag the contents of Windows HD to a folder on Mac HD, repartition, and drag it back:) ? Or do I have to actually reinstall everything:( ?

Why not un-install some of the games you've got on there to make space for HL2?
Surely you're not playing all the games at once?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
SilentPanda said:
One option you might have is to purchase an external HD and install/run the games off of that.

That's what I would do. Just make a fat32 partition on a secondary drive.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Unless you have a huge harddrive, I'd say 1/3 Windows if you really want good room for gaming, etc.

HL2 and CS/CS:S are massive and they only get bigger with every update.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
MacRumorUser said:
No, this has nothing to do with Boot Camp. It's a self-imposed limitation placed by Microsoft.

Also, XP and 2000 can access/mount FAT32 volumes larger than 32GB, they just can not format them. So I've no doubt that you've used PC's with volumes larger than 32GB w/ 2000/XP. The Windows installer will give you a "Logical Disk Manager: Volume size too big" error if you try to format from the installer.
This "cannot Format more than 32GB" behavior is by design, as Microsoft recommends using the NTFS file system for partitions greater than 32GB. One reason for this is: as a FAT32 partition goes beyond 32GB, the cluster size that is used jumps from 16K to 32K, thus "wasting" far more drive space when small files are stored.
Personally, I'd recommend NTFS unless you have a very compelling need for FAT32; cluster sizes will waste lots of space and the allocation tables in FAT32 aren't as robust in NTFS. The only benefit of using FAT32 with Boot Camp is the ability to write to the FAT32 partition from OS X; you can read from formats (FAT32 & NTFS).

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Don M. said:
Personally, I'd recommend NTFS unless you have a very compelling need for FAT32; cluster sizes will waste lots of space and the allocation tables in FAT32 aren't as robust in NTFS. The only benefit of using FAT32 with Boot Camp is the ability to write to the FAT32 partition from OS X; you can read from formats (FAT32 & NTFS).

Plus, if you really need to share files between the two OSes, you can always get MacDrive from Mediafour. It's pretty good software that allows Windows to work with (read and write) HFS formatted drives. It's $50, but if you're going to be doing a lot of switching, then it's well worth it.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Cloudgazer said:
Why not un-install some of the games you've got on there to make space for HL2?
Surely you're not playing all the games at once?
If only you knew...:p

Really, i have three games: Brothers in arms:EAB, Splinter Cell:Chaos theory and, coming soon, HL:2
Im not going to install CS:S, I never play online anyway.

Will a FW drive have enough bandwidth to run modern games? Can I partition a drive (say 80GB HFS and 20 NTFS)?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Kingsly said:
If only you knew...:p

Really, i have three games: Brothers in arms:EAB, Splinter Cell:Chaos theory and, coming soon, HL:2
Im not going to install CS:S, I never play online anyway.

Will a FW drive have enough bandwidth to run modern games? Can I partition a drive (say 80GB HFS and 20 NTFS)?

Yes, running games from a FireWire drive isnt a problem.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I am worried because the partition I would be using for games would be located on one of my FCP scratch disks. Should I worry? (for FCP's sake, even though its a separate partition) Does partitioning a drive make it any more susceptible to problems?

Edit* One more thing... I just partitioned my FW drive, 20GB for XPee and 120GB for OSX. Which partition map do I use? I selected the one that mentioned DOS and windows... but since I will be using the 120GB for FCP... I don't know. Should I repartition to the Apple partition map? Will XP see it (I did format the 10GB as DOS)?

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
I was stupid, I think I gave windows too much.57 GB!!! 1 GB more and Iwould be selling my sould to the devil-Windows.

Yeah that last hing i could probably take out because id get banned ;D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.