PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook hot... calibrate?

calebjohnston
Apr 15, 2006, 09:17 PM
I have yet to totally discharge and charge my new PB's battery. I have also noticed that my 12" latest revision PB gets quite hot when just using safari and possibly adium and iTunes. I have read that calibrating the battery is a possible fix to the heat. Can anyone confirm that?

My widget temp readings aren't very high, but this thing just feels really hot to my left palm -- I have a nice little 1/4 of a first degree burn mark there every now and then :).

mad jew
Apr 15, 2006, 09:23 PM
I don't know that calibrating the battery will cool things down, I don't see how it could. However, it should be the first thing you do to a new battery, so do it now, for the sake of your battery's longevity. :)

As for the heat, I think that might just be an inherent PowerBook problem. :(

calebjohnston
Apr 15, 2006, 09:29 PM
Hmph :|, alright. I meant to get around to calibrating the battery, just never did. I went straight back to school the day after getting it so I haven't quite had the chance yet. Working on it now.

Thanks.

I'll probably be turning this PB into a desktop for part of the time anyway soon, so the heat shouldn't be a big issue then.

mad jew
Apr 15, 2006, 09:31 PM
You can turn down the CPU to Reduced in the Energy Saver section of System Preferences. Some people find the trade off in performance makes for a cooler PowerBook. :)