PDA

View Full Version : imac RAM: 256 or 512?

Darby
Feb 6, 2003, 06:24 PM
Hi all,

Please excuse for me asking a stupid question or two... :)

I am looking into purshasing an imac and am confused as to whether I will need 256 or 512 ram? I also don't know which option (1 dimm (?) or 2 dimm slots) makes better sense for me?

I will be using my imac for: digital photos, writing, creating a website, convering vinyl records to cd, playing around with converting analog video to digital and burning some dvd movies with imovie etc...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated by this soon-to-be switcheroo.

Thank-you,
Darby

----
;)*The Switcher Prayer*;)

Now I lay
my pc down to sleep
I pray to Apple
for an iMac to keep
If I should die
before I switch to Mac
I hope Apple ships to heaven
...because I'll never go back!

King Cobra
Feb 6, 2003, 06:28 PM
#1: Which model iMac (G3 or G4) are you using?

#2: I suggest you max out the RAM, if you can with your budget, instead of purchasing 256MB chips. Depending on the model, though, there are various maximums.

#3: For quality/cheap RAM, explore the following site:
www.18004memory.com (http://www.18004memory.com)

Freg3000
Feb 6, 2003, 06:31 PM
Assuming its the new iMac, then I'd suggest getting it with 512 MB occupying 1 DIMM. This way you could add up to 768 MB or 1 GB in the future if you feel you need it.

altair
Feb 6, 2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Darby
Hi all,

Please excuse for me asking a stupid question or two... :)

MAX IT OUT!! The more RAM the better OS X guzzles ram, it likes to swim-a-round in a giant pool of ram, it frolics and plays, and is very happy if its pool is really big. :)

I would buy your machine with a single dim @ 512 from apple. And then buy another 512 from another supplier.

Hope this helps

~altair

Doctor Q
Feb 6, 2003, 06:40 PM
I've had the same answer for years: Buy more RAM up front. A good target is to have twice the amount that Apple normally ships in that machine. If you have to postpone getting the nice printer, mouse, monitor, software, etc. with the same money, that's ok. Get them later. So yes, get 512MB.

mac15
Feb 6, 2003, 09:02 PM
try to get as much as you can in your mac when running OSX, I have 512mb. I"m upgrading to 1gb when I can, becuase OSX chews through ram like nothing.

hugemullens
Feb 6, 2003, 11:04 PM
512 in one dimm. 512 should be enough to get through everything you want, and it leaves the other dimm open for expanding your ram, which i would recommend. But as ordered from apple, 512 in one dimm will do ya.

springscansing
Feb 7, 2003, 12:09 AM
Personally, Apple rips you off for Ram. I'd get it with 256, then toss in another 512 from a 3rd party. Then again... it might not be worth the effort, and I don't know how changing ram on laptops works. Do you need to take an iBook in? I'd assume not a PB, but I donno about the iBook. You need to take the iMac is (which is beyond stupid). The iMac is too form over function for my taste. Great machine, believe me, I love it, my sister has one, but... I donno, I'm a tower guy. It's a good machine.. eep.. nevermind me, I'm stupid! *hits self*

Doctor Q
Feb 7, 2003, 12:16 AM
Another reason to get more RAM than you might think: If you have just enough to run WonderfulApplication Version 1 under Mac OS X 10.2.3, you'll want more as soon as you upgrade to WonderApplication Version 2 and Mac OS X 10.2.4, 10.2.5, etc.

JonD
Feb 7, 2003, 01:29 AM
512. Actually, I'd say get the most you possibly can.

Use your computer for a week with 256, then install 512. You'll see what I mean.

GeeYouEye
Feb 7, 2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by springscansing
Personally, Apple rips you off for Ram. I'd get it with 256, then toss in another 512 from a 3rd party. Then again... it might not be worth the effort, and I don't know how changing ram on laptops works. Do you need to take an iBook in? I'd assume not a PB, but I donno about the iBook. You need to take the iMac is (which is beyond stupid). The iMac is too form over function for my taste. Great machine, believe me, I love it, my sister has one, but... I donno, I'm a tower guy. It's a good machine.. eep.. nevermind me, I'm stupid! *hits self*

Ummm... what are you talking about? The RAM is the one universally user-upgradable part (as defined by the warranty anyway) besides the AirPort card. Two Phillip's head screws for the iBook, 4 for the iMac.

Bear
Feb 7, 2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye

Ummm... what are you talking about? The RAM is the one universally user-upgradable part (as defined by the warranty anyway) besides the AirPort card. Two Phillip's head screws for the iBook, 4 for the iMac.
The iMac G4 has two RAM slots, one that is easy to get to via 4 screws, and that is user changable. The other RAM slot is buried inside the iMac and is not user accessible.

Darby
Feb 7, 2003, 10:56 AM
I want to thank everyone (King Cobra, Freg3000, altair, Doctor Q, mac15, hugemullens, springscansing, JonD, GeeYouEye, Bear and all!) for your replies. :)

This site has helped to clarify and answer my questions. I really appreciate everyone who took the time to post a reply.

It looks like the 512 with 1 dimm (This works because I'm such a dimwit anyhow :)) will be my ideal choice.

Thanks,
Darby :)