PDA

View Full Version : Not possible to replace battery in iPod video?

luckylisp
Apr 16, 2006, 01:07 AM
I've heard it's not possible to replace the battery in the video ipods because it's affixed to the metal backplate. Is this true? I was hoping when the time came I could replace the battery myself as others have done but apparently it's impossible. So is the only way to replace it through Apple Care then?

Marky_Mark
Apr 16, 2006, 02:10 PM
I've heard it's not possible to replace the battery in the video ipods because it's affixed to the metal backplate. Is this true? I was hoping when the time came I could replace the battery myself as others have done but apparently it's impossible. So is the only way to replace it through Apple Care then?

I'm sure I've seen a disassembly site for the 5G and it showed the battery stuck to the backplate with an adhesive strip - shouldn't be that difficult to detach if you warm the glue with a hairdryer to soften it first. :)

Mord
Apr 16, 2006, 02:26 PM
it's glued on in the 4g ipod, i've still replaced them (in the 4g).

luckylisp
Apr 16, 2006, 03:02 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. I myself wasn't able to find a site that sold or replaced batteries for 5th gen ipods. I did find a site (http://www.ipodjuice.com/faq.html) where they said they were still evaluating 5th gen models to see if it was possible for consumers to safely replace the battery. Hopefully it can be done.

Counterfit
Apr 16, 2006, 03:08 PM
If it can be made/manufactured/assembled, it can be undone. ;)

luckylisp
Apr 16, 2006, 03:31 PM
Haha, yes, of course. :D I just meant easily by the consumer. Seems like the earlier generations were a little easier to do by yourself.