PDA

View Full Version : Battery charging while syncing iPod

luckylisp
Apr 16, 2006, 01:15 AM
It seems I'm always changing playlists and adding new songs to my iPod. Will this constant hooking it up to sync for short periods every few days effect my battery? The battery won't be run down all the way, sometimes even very little, when I end up hooking it up to sync which of course also charges the battery at the same time. So over time will this behavior shorten the battery life?

eXan
Apr 16, 2006, 02:03 AM
Definately it will. Batteries used in iPods have the limited number of recharges (do not remember the exact number though)

Ish
Apr 16, 2006, 03:18 AM
Think that applies more to the nickel-based batteries. For the lithium-ion batteries in notebooks and iPods Apple says:

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put both notebook and iPod batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity.

This is the link: http://www.apple.com/batteries/

TheMonarch
Apr 16, 2006, 03:22 AM
Assuming its a newer iPod, yes it will affect the battery life as newer USB based iPods run from battery power while syncing. Even though the iPod says its charging, whats really happening is that the HDD will be consuming more power than USB can provide, so the battery kicks in. So you can expect more wear and tear on your iPod's Li-ion battery when syncing [Or any time the HDD has to run], by how much varies greatly.

Ish
Apr 16, 2006, 03:32 AM
Assuming its a newer iPod, yes it will affect the battery life as newer USB based iPods run from battery power while syncing. Even though the iPod says its charging, whats really happening is that the HDD will be consuming more power than USB can provide, so the battery kicks in. So you can expect more wear and tear on your iPod's Li-ion battery when syncing [Or any time the HDD has to run], by how much varies greatly.

Wish I'd thought of that!

eXan
Apr 16, 2006, 06:29 AM

heh thats why I use FireWire with my iPod!

luckylisp
Apr 16, 2006, 12:40 PM
It's a video ipod using usb, yes. Well, I'd better change that practice then, thanks for the replies. :)