PDA

View Full Version : External Speakers Ibook/Ipod?

Whistleway
Apr 16, 2006, 02:42 PM
I have music collection on my ibook and ipod. I am looking for some external speakers that I can use to listen to the music.

I am not sure I am using the proper terminology, but, I just want to be able to listen to my music outside the builtin speakers of the ibook. It would be nice if it is wireless or has some remote to it.

thanks for your help.

musicalmcs8706
Apr 16, 2006, 03:15 PM
There's the Airport Express

Mord
Apr 16, 2006, 03:30 PM
you can get a decent 5.1 system cheaply, with an APX as the above poster suggests.

Sammis89
Apr 16, 2006, 06:27 PM
It also depends if you want them to be portable, or if they will be stationary. If they need to be portable, there are som great sets of ipod speakers that have audio in so that you can hook them up to your iBook. However, if its going to be stationary, there are some great cheap systems out there that'll do the job.

onthat
Apr 16, 2006, 07:27 PM
edifier is the way to go, I set it up in my art class a while back and everyone was amazed at the bass and overall quality at extremely high volumes. It'll run you 80 bucks and it has to be plugged in to a wall jack...which shouldn't be a problem unless you have some BS excuse for needing it to run off the computer's battery.
you can get a decent 5.1 system cheaply, with an APX as the above poster suggests
As for 5.1, if you only intend to listen to music...then what would be the point in playing stereo (2.1) sound through 5 satellite speakers?

Whistleway
Apr 16, 2006, 07:36 PM
It also depends if you want them to be portable, or if they will be stationary. If they need to be portable, there are som great sets of ipod speakers that have audio in so that you can hook them up to your iBook..

Yup, portable would be great. I have been googling for a while. But it seems i am not using the right keyword. Portable powered by usb or firewire(?) would be nice. Any suggestions?

Sammis89
Apr 17, 2006, 04:33 PM
i googled "usb powered ipod speakers" and found the Altec Lansing xt1 speakers on Macworld. Heres what they said:

"... And to be fair, the XT1 are impressive, overall, for USB-powered speakers -- I found them to be the best of those we've tested, by a significant margin, for watching DVDs on my PowerBook. However, those looking for more balanced sound may be turned off by the midrange/bass-heavy presentation and should keep this in mind when shopping; given that the XT1 are the most expensive USB-powered speakers we've seen, a pre-purchase audition is definitely in order."

If thats something that sounds good, they have them priced at 130, but going as low as 50 bucks. You can hook 'em up to anything with a minijack input, so it seems to be what you were looking for(?).

student_trap
Apr 18, 2006, 04:28 AM
for an unitrusive set of speakers to put on a desk, id go for the JBL OnStage, I bought one and it is superb, great sound quality, and if you have an ipod, it will sync and charge that too!

Whistleway
Apr 18, 2006, 09:09 AM
i googled "usb powered ipod speakers" and found the Altec Lansing xt1 speakers on Macworld. Heres what they said:

"... And to be fair, the XT1 are impressive, overall, for USB-powered speakers -- I found them to be the best of those we've tested, by a significant margin, for watching DVDs on my PowerBook. However, those looking for more balanced sound may be turned off by the midrange/bass-heavy presentation and should keep this in mind when shopping; given that the XT1 are the most expensive USB-powered speakers we've seen, a pre-purchase audition is definitely in order."

If thats something that sounds good, they have them priced at 130, but going as low as 50 bucks. You can hook 'em up to anything with a minijack input, so it seems to be what you were looking for(?).

These are really nice. That's what i was looking for. These are 1.5W since they are powered by USB. Does anyone know how much Watts is the builtin speaker in ibooks? If these are louder than the built-in speakers, I would definitely buy it.

Thanks.