PDA

View Full Version : My G4 800 is lagging

bennyek
Feb 6, 2003, 09:58 PM
I just wanted to find out if anyone has the same machine as me and if they are having a similar performance flaw.

It is a 800mhz single proc.
1.5 gig ram
acard ata 133 with three 80 gig wd 8mb cache

I also have a single 533 with half the ram that blows away my quicksilver... What could be wrong?

Thanks

MrMacMan
Feb 6, 2003, 10:03 PM
Time for disk utility.

neonart
Feb 7, 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by bennyek
I just wanted to find out if anyone has the same machine as me and if they are having a similar performance flaw.

It is a 800mhz single proc.
1.5 gig ram
acard ata 133 with three 80 gig wd 8mb cache

I also have a single 533 with half the ram that blows away my quicksilver... What could be wrong?

Thanks

What OS?

Rajj
Feb 7, 2003, 09:13 PM
Have you repaired disk permissions?

neonart
Feb 7, 2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by xrhajj
Have you repaired disk permissions?
yeah, if your running os X you should do this!

beez7777
Feb 7, 2003, 09:32 PM
what exactly does repairing disk permissions do? also, i hear a lot about fsck -y or something. what does this do, and how is it done?

neonart
Feb 7, 2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by beez7777
how does one repair disk permissions? also, i hear a lot about fsck -y or something. what does this do, and how is it done?
forget fsck for now.
To repair permisions...
Startup for 10.2 disk.
Go to "installer" in the menubar and select "disk repair".
Click on repair tab. Click verify permissions and let it finish. Click repair permisions and let it finish. Your mac will be snappier when your done.
Quit/restart and eject cd before it restarts.

Catfish_Man
Feb 7, 2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by neonart

forget fsck for now.
To repair permisions...
Startup for 10.2 disk.
Go to "installer" in the menubar and select "disk repair".
Click on repair tab. Click verify permissions and let it finish. Click repair permisions and let it finish. Your mac will be snappier when your done.
Quit/restart and eject cd before it restarts.

Or, one could just go to /Applications/Utilities and run disk utility from there...

neonart
Feb 7, 2003, 11:02 PM
Does it work correctly if you try to repair permissions on the disk your OS is currently running in?

MrMacMan
Feb 7, 2003, 11:11 PM
edit: Delete this post.

Thanks.

MrMacMan
Feb 7, 2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by neonart
Does it work correctly if you try to repair permissions on the disk your OS is currently running in?

Yes just slighy less speedy.

Anyway there are some things you can't do when using the Os & fixing problem with itself at the same time.

ddtlm
Feb 7, 2003, 11:24 PM
bennyek:

Well the 800 is presumably the one Apple sold, which means that is has no L3 cache. The 533 may very well be faster, because the 533 has the same main memory speed, more processor cache, and is based on the older G4 core with the shorter pipeline.

bennyek
Feb 8, 2003, 02:32 AM
Interesting...
I really do think my 533 is faster. I reinstalled osx 10.2 on the 800 and my benchmarks improved from 59.68 to 78.98 Quite an improvement, plus I set up a raid with the three hds. thanks for all the help.
Benny

MacBandit
Feb 8, 2003, 03:03 AM
Did you have Norton installed? I installed Norton System Works 2.0 once and then changed my mind an uninstalled. The only problem is it modifies (screws up) the system kernel. The result? Well my computer was having constant permission failures (multiple per day) also my CD and DVD drive were having failures durring burns.

I noticed minor slow downs with each proceding 10.2.x update also. This could have had some correlation to the modified kenel, I really don't know. Well I reformatted and reinstalled my computer and now things are back where they should have been.

I wonder how many other people are having a similar slow down but either don't notice or don't realize there is a system problem and not just there computer getting older.

neonart
Feb 8, 2003, 07:00 AM
For too many people Norton ends up being a huge Virus you buy and install yourself.