PDA

View Full Version : iBook over heating?

Butler Trumpet
Apr 16, 2006, 10:13 PM
So I use iStatPro (widget) that tells me pretty much everything going on with my computer from network activity, fan speed, memory usage, and temperature on the CPU, Memory, and Battery.

I have been using it for about 6 months now, and my temp on my CPU is usually about 105-115 degrees F. However, the past 2 days, it has been at the least 140... and even all the way up to 165. I have also noticed that my performance has been much less than normal. I havent installed or changed anything recently, and I have restarted a few times.

I checked activity monitor, and nothing seems weird. Any ideas on what is causing this, and what to do about it?

Right now my iBook is hot to the touch over the hard drive, almost like its been sitting on my lap or on a bed or something while doing something processor intensive, but Im not really. Usually just mail, adium and safari.

Also, i use an iCurve all the time so it gets good air flow.

Thanks.... and it really is hot.

calebjohnston
Apr 16, 2006, 10:34 PM
Is it really hot out where you are? All of my mac laptops have been very susceptible to heat. They just shoot up 10 degrees or so when it's hot out. My PB was almost unbearable at times, but I got my air conditioner in, and now my computer is almost room temperature.

calebjohnston
Apr 16, 2006, 10:34 PM
Another thing.. if it stays hot, maybe you should get a cooling pad.

mad jew
Apr 16, 2006, 10:44 PM
Are you doing much hard-drive intensive work like file sharing, video editing, folding and so on? If you shut it down overnight, does it take long to heat back up? :)

OutThere
Apr 16, 2006, 11:02 PM
What's your CPU usage % when it's getting this hot? It sounds like you might have a process that's eating up your CPU cycles. Check the activity monitor (/Applications/Utilites) for stats on different processes.

You can sort the list of tasks by CPU consumed and see if there's one that sticks out.

Sometimes programs will bug out and randomly use tons of system resources...it's happened to me several times.

mad jew
Apr 16, 2006, 11:30 PM
Butler Trumpet has checked Activity Monitor already. However, by default you are only shown My processes. It's best to select All Processes from the drop down list to ensure you can see everything that is happening on your system.

I agree with OutThere in that Activity Monitor really might have be able to show the culprit. :)

Butler Trumpet
Apr 17, 2006, 07:08 AM
Okay, I just woke up, and had my computer off.... its been on about 1 minute now and is at 91.8 and climbing....

I checked activity monitor again, showing all processes, and the highest CPU usage, is actually Activity Monitor, using around 3-8%.

Clicked on the CPU tab at the bottom and it says there is usually about 80% idle.

Maybe its fixed now, after like my 5th restart sense this has been going on.

Temp is now 95.5

Ill be back later to let you know how its going.
thanks

Butler Trumpet
Apr 17, 2006, 07:33 AM
Its doing much better.... I dont know what the deal was, but for like 3 days, it was about 40-60 degrees over where it should be. Right now after about 30 minutes of up time, with my normal usage, Safari Mail Adium Dashboard and an iDisk it is holding pretty steady around 107

thanks, and Ill let you know if it does it again.

wierd that shutdown fixed it, when the other shutdowns i did, did not.

Butler Trumpet
Apr 17, 2006, 09:06 PM
still doing great....
had normal use today, plus a little bit of dreamweaver, and fireworks, and it stayed cool all day around 105 or so.

speed is also back up on my iBook